Topic: New artifact scanning

The new artifact scanning mechanic is now out on the test server.

• Uses the same equipment/charges like before.

• Instead of distance and the difference to the last scan, it now gives you the approximate distance, the amount of inaccuracy, and a bearing indicator to the scanned coordinate. (which, depending on the inaccuracy, isn't the actual location of the artifact)

• When you are on the scanned coordinate, the bearing indicator will change to indicate this.

• Inaccuracy depends on your module accuracy, and the distance from the artifact. The further you are, the less accurate your scans will be. It's random though, so if you're really lucky you can get an exact coordinate on your first scan from kilometers away.

• It is a valid strategy to just stand still and scan until you get a relatively accurate result, but closing in will obviously gradually eliminate the inaccuracy.

Re: New artifact scanning

Good Job, its amazing!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Just took 20 mins off work to have a bit of a play with it and I agree with Ville, great job!! It's how it should have been all along, but better late than never. Keep up the good work!

Will you keep the thingy where after you complete 10 artifacts another 10 spawn for the player?

Naismith wrote:

Will you keep the thingy where after you complete 10 artifacts another 10 spawn for the player?

A new artifact spawns always after you pop one, that didn't change.

There is one thing though.  Once you pop it you get a general direction and a range.  So what I did was set my marker range to that range and auto piloted there, and switched to 1Ks.  Then as I got on the spot, it was ~500 M off and give me an accuracy of about 15M and it typically popped in 2 different charges, three if unlucky.  Is this ok?

7 (edited by Inda 2015-10-01 15:13:30)

For the new one the range differentiation for charges is a bit silly, I just change every minute to 5000 -1000, so its a bit pointless I think.

Good job, but I have a question:

Why we cant have both method???

Just change the loot. Change the old loot for better rewards, or something, for me just simply a content remowent.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Ville wrote:

There is one thing though.  Once you pop it you get a general direction and a range.  So what I did was set my marker range to that range and auto piloted there, and switched to 1Ks.  Then as I got on the spot, it was ~500 M off and give me an accuracy of about 15M and it typically popped in 2 different charges, three if unlucky.  Is this ok?

Yeah generally you can get an artifact with 2-4 charges, maybe a few more if it's in difficult/maze-like terrain.
Due to this the charge prices might be increased a bit.

Inda: having two different methods for artifact scanning would be even more confusing than the old method alone.

to Zoom.

call it another thing. I just dont get the point delete an old mechanic.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

10 (edited by Inda 2015-10-01 15:23:15)

no need charges to 5000-1000, just one IMO

make it more casual friendly, and maybe keep the old one more teamplay "friendly"

I just dont want to see popping NPC -s on my neck, just bothering me if they pop and I just run, silly also, even Observers, without a team you are need to use a "technic" to loot , and use arke or teleport out easily

(OR just alert the player with something NPC will pop out !)

Energy to Earth!

Can you do us a favor then?  Can you change the name to something more understandable?  Like instead of R-5000 and R-3000 and R-1000.  Get rid of the R3000's and rename the R5000 to like "long range charge" and the R1000's to "short range charge".  Make it a lot simplier and easier to understand.  (keep the scanner charge the same ranges 5K and 1K)

Ville wrote:

Can you do us a favor then?  Can you change the name to something more understandable?  Like instead of R-5000 and R-3000 and R-1000.  Get rid of the R3000's and rename the R5000 to like "long range charge" and the R1000's to "short range charge".  Make it a lot simplier and easier to understand.  (keep the scanner charge the same ranges 5K and 1K)

Sure.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Sure.

<3

I consider it bad to have from ~1000 m distance an error of 300m if accuracy is 100%

Goffer wrote:

I consider it bad to have from ~1000 m distance an error of 300m if accuracy is 100%

At 1km that's about the worst you can get from distance inaccuracy.

Ville wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:
Ville wrote:

Sure.

<3

Always Ville, I dont get anything, sadpanda. (just kidding)

Anyway +1

Energy to Earth!

DEV Zoom wrote:

Inaccuracy depends on your module accuracy, and the distance from the artifact. The further you are, the less accurate your scans will be. It's random though, so if you're really lucky you can get an exact coordinate on your first scan from kilometers away.

Goffer wrote:

That's the odd part. If I have 100% accuracy I'd expect it to be 100% accurate. Regardless, I think it's better.

It's only your module that has 100% accuracy. As in, it's doing its best without taking external factors into consideration.

Tbh it would be too easy if you went straight for it.

If 100% accuracy can end up +-300m, what can you get with 50% accuracy?

Goffer wrote:

If 100% accuracy can end up +-300m, what can you get with 50% accuracy?

Hungarian Math. 100% should mean 0 deviation. Any Deviation above that & you clearly don't have 100%  accuracy. This is misleading & could frustrate a new player.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Nians shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

Good luck showing accuracy on your module without knowing the range.

Well... Since i dumped EP into a skill to give me 100 percent accuracy on the old system, Can i get my EP back when the new system hits.  I understand you don't want people to have 100 percent accuracy, however you changing the system should warrant people being able to choose if they want EP in those skills or not under the new system.

Sure, is there any reason people would want lower accuracy? Cause otherwise there is no point.

Maybe add a thingy saying "-X% accuracy based on distance" so noobs don't go WTF GUIS I HAVE 100% Y U NO ARTIFACT wasting all that e-paper and e-ink.