Re: New artifact scanning

Naismith wrote:

Maybe add a thingy saying "-X% accuracy based on distance" so noobs don't go WTF GUIS I HAVE 100% Y U NO ARTIFACT wasting all that e-paper and e-ink.

But where? The geoscanner module isn't only used for artifacting. Obviously the help will say so.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Naismith wrote:

Maybe add a thingy saying "-X% accuracy based on distance" so noobs don't go WTF GUIS I HAVE 100% Y U NO ARTIFACT wasting all that e-paper and e-ink.

But where? The geoscanner module isn't only used for artifacting. Obviously the help will say so.

copy pase the accuracy attribute,
rename it to "artifact scan accuracy" and use that one for artifacts.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Good luck showing accuracy on your module without knowing the range.

All I'm saying is it's dumb & confusing to a new player who sees "100%" accuracy when in fact its not even close to 100% accurate. If there is always going to be deviation then you should NEVER say 100% accurate. Show 99% at least that way there's a clear indications the scan may have a small amount of deviation.

Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
I have a dream that one day every valley shall be exalted, and every hill and mountain shall be made low, the rough places will be made plain, and the crooked places will be made straight; "and the glory of the Nians shall be revealed and all flesh shall see it together."

29 (edited by Goffer 2015-10-05 07:21:48)

In the end I can accept 100% accuracy, if you explain the additional range penalty for artifact scan. But is this that trivial like having +-randoim*0m at 0m, till +-random*300 at 1000m with 100% accuracy?

Is it exponential? I saw more than 2km error at ~5km.

And will that be +-rnd*600 at 1000m with 50% accuracy, or more like +-rnd*350?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Naismith wrote:

A disclaimer somewhere would work too yeah. "Do not piss on the electric fence" that kinda obvious stuff people are comfortable being spelled out to them so they don't have to use too many grey cells at the same time.

Why not show the possible divergence after the distance on the artifact window? A la Name 3000m (+- 150m).

Goffer: yes it's exponential.

(range^1.5) / (ModuleAccuracy*60)
where range is tiles (10m) and ModuleAccuracy is 0..1

Anything more forgiving would make it too easy already.

It's worth noting that this is a trivial concern - the new system is better (kudos where kudos is due), slap a disclaimer on artifact charges about variations in accuracy and gg solved. Next!

Is the error associated with the angle or heading indicator?

The error is the distance between the provided and the actual coordinate, which of course affects the heading.

When can we has ?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Thank you for explaining the formula.
And yeah, in some concerns it is quite more comforting and the randomness together with possibility to keep reached accuracy will help new players.

Is there a accuracy difference in stack Tier as well? I detected no difference in distance to dig it out anymore.

Goffer wrote:

Is there a accuracy difference in stack Tier as well? I detected no difference in distance to dig it out anymore.

No, all of them have a ~30m pop range now.

Ville: beta1 rework in progress, it will go out with that.