Topic: Disappointed no collision or friendly fire on beta.

I'm a bit disappointed there is no collision between players and no friendly fire on the beta islands.  I think these features are fine for the alpha islands, but PVP in beta seems lacking that skill-based element that collision and friendly fire would add. 

I'm not a huge fan of the blob PVP that is going on.  Collision would at least force blobs to have to organize their movements better.  The possibility of friendly fire would require true organization in large scale units - I cringe when I see blobs of people shooting straight through one another.  I realize if friendly fire were implemented as is, people would complain and transition to missiles.  The weapons would have to be rebalanced to implement friendly-fire so that missiles had drawbacks in that scenario, but I think it could be done.

Re: Disappointed no collision or friendly fire on beta.

Collisions would *** the server as they'd have to be a lot more complex than other games collisions. I'd prefer a bouncing option so that if two plays do collide they are both push back a little way. This would slow blob movement but yet again be a *** to code and apply to the game in less than a month.

Robots getting in other robots LOS would be awesome but would probably be hard to code. I'd love to see missile that had a guidance failure not fly so far and also damage anything they hit (If not under syndicate protection).

Syndicate protection should protect from anti-blob warfare so that when wars come into the game people will be more safe on the alpha island but beta islands need more penalisation in PvP.

The Game

Alexander wrote:

Collisions would *** the server as they'd have to be a lot more complex than other games collisions.

You define a certain radius distance from the center of a bot or mech and that is your collision zone.  I don't see why it has to be any more complex than any other game that does the same thing.  Many MMO's have collision.

Alexander wrote:

Robots getting in other robots LOS would be awesome but would probably be hard to code.

Again, don't see why this would be difficult from a programming perspective, many games accomplish this.  When a weapon is fired, you add a routine which checks the path of the beam or slug.  If something is found, you hit that instead.  The game already does this for trees and shrubs... they just have to apply the concept to players as well.

You're talking about the people that program and test a patch which turns out to set missile optimal range to 0m. There have been more but it would be embarrassing to post more. Keep it simple so the developers brains don't explode.

Collisions is a nice idea but I've ALWAYS found collisions to be really crap in any game but World of Tanks. They just feel fake. As for LOS being blocked by other robots this would be cool but everyone would blob missiles unless there was an effect where missiles hurt everyone around you when fired. Lololol.

The Game

I haven't even been to pvp islands yet but..

Wouldn't LOS blocking with mechs end up in some tanking silliness. You will get several walls of dedicated heavy armored mechs with several remote reps on them switching places and less armored mechs could just take a breather behind them when needed. And when things get really close up and personal.. two blobs colliding and everyones shooting everyone, for sure would take skill to manage that situation but maybe already bit too much skill...

What about if the los/friendly fire was only checked on relatively short distance and after that it doesnt matter what kind of metal wall is between you and your target. Blobs would still have to stay well organized to focus fire and avoid friendly fire.

And if it brings better pvp, why not missiles also check if someone is just in front of them. Maybe the "friendly fire range" of missiles could be much shorter than other weapons to bring in some realism.. .. or lets just change them into rockets with some guiding capabilities. Or something. I like something.

Petteri Petraaja wrote:

I haven't even been to pvp islands yet but..

Wouldn't LOS blocking with mechs end up in some tanking silliness. You will get several walls of dedicated heavy armored mechs with several remote reps on them switching places and less armored mechs could just take a breather behind them when needed. And when things get really close up and personal.. two blobs colliding and everyones shooting everyone, for sure would take skill to manage that situation but maybe already bit too much skill...

At least that would require semi-interesting tactics.  As it stands things are just 'show up with as many folks as you can pressgang.'

Agreed. Even DnD Online has collision checking and friendly fire, and that came out in 2006.  I know it's possible.

Thadious wrote:

Agreed. Even DnD Online has collision checking and friendly fire, and that came out in 2006.  I know it's possible.

160 man dungeon crawl would be pretty neat.

I've seen the devs say somewhere, pretty categorically, that there will be never be collision detection. This was a decision they made early on and can't change it now, for technical reasons which I can't remember.

I agree it would be nice but, as I understand it, it's not going to happen.

Because the game combat is target based, I don't think friendly fire based on aiming makes sense. You can still shoot your allies if you target them by accident.

There is another thread full of suggestions, some of which I think would work better to limit blob pvp.