1 (edited by Aer 2010-12-12 20:01:09)

Topic: prevent 0.01 NIC outbids

I'm fed up of cheap market outbids either in buy or sell orders. Either you are ok with the current price and offer your buy/sell advert at the same price, and then enter the queue (which would imply to remove the recent change about the biggest number coming first and come back to a first here first served) OR you want to have the best price and then it has to be at least 10% over/5% under the previous local best offer.
The 0.01 NIC changes are just boring...

2 (edited by Zhyntil 2010-12-12 20:05:40)

Re: prevent 0.01 NIC outbids

Aer wrote:

I'm fed up of cheap market outbids either in buy or sell orders. Either you are ok with the current price and offer your buy/sell advert at the same price, and then enter the queue (which would imply to remove the recent change about the biggest number coming first and come back to a first here first served) OR you want to have the best price and then it has to be at least 10% over/5% under the previous local best offer.

It is called open market, it is the same reason why many things sell for 4.99, then 4.95, etc. especially for gas.
Dont like it, hop the price down .10, .50, or however much you feel is right. If you are a buyer, then exercise your wallet and buy the more expensive stuff......you will be alone in that though. Even .01 is still savings, and when buying thousands of an item....that penny adds up.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

I agree, this is how it must be. But it would be nice if it was easier to edit your orders once they are up. smile

Aer wrote:

It's called trading. And yes, it's not easy. 0.01 bid wars are the price you pay for your profits. Learning to deal with updating orders is an essential part of being a trader.

Duncan Blackmoor wrote:

I agree, this is how it must be. But it would be nice if it was easier to edit your orders once they are up. smile

Even if there was a bit of lag time, either only allowing edit every X minutes, or making the edit not take effect for x minutes.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Remove decimal NIC.

NIC should always be a int64 value. smile

The Game

7 (edited by Aer 2010-12-13 08:30:07)

Zhyntil wrote:
Aer wrote:

It is called open market, it is the same reason why many things sell for 4.99, then 4.95, etc. especially for gas.
Dont like it, hop the price down .10, .50, or however much you feel is right. If you are a buyer, then exercise your wallet and buy the more expensive stuff......you will be alone in that though. Even .01 is still savings, and when buying thousands of an item....that penny adds up.

Reason why things cost 4.99 is psychological, it's for people to think it's not 5. It has nothing to do with underbidding the store next door who would be at 5, otherwise you would see price like 4.87 to outbit the 4.88 of your neighbour.
The only reason of these .01 is to steal the queue. It has nothing to do with savings (-0.01 on your Riveler doesn't change your margin). And the consequence is you have to spend 24/7 with your eyes riveted on the market. Might be fun for you, but I thought one could play a game AND do something else smile

To sum it up, don't get me wrong: I'm perfectly fine with price wars. It's pettiness I dislike. If you want to start a price war, fine by me, but do a real price war !

8 (edited by Uncle Mo 2010-12-13 09:17:47)

Aer wrote:

Not even a Karl Marx or senseless US bashing here.

0/10  Would not read again.

Aer wrote:
Zhyntil wrote:

Reason why things cost 4.99 is psychological, it's for people to think it's not 5. It has nothing to do with underbidding the store next door who would be at 5, otherwise you would see price like 4.87 to outbit the 4.88 of your neighbour.
The only reason of these .01 is to steal the queue. It has nothing to do with savings (-0.01 on your Riveler doesn't change your margin). And the consequence is you have to spend 24/7 with your eyes riveted on the market. Might be fun for you, but I thought one could play a game AND do something else smile

To sum it up, don't get me wrong: I'm perfectly fine with price wars. It's pettiness I dislike. If you want to start a price war, fine by me, but do a real price war !

I highlighted the part you missed......there are many times the prices get set odd, those are the most common, and as i said gas prices are always changing, often only a penny at a time.

Either way my point stands.

Who the $#@% is stEvE?

Disregarding market price undercutting, note that there are many people out there (myself included) that have sympathy when we buy something and will usually pay the extra 1 NIC or whatever as a 'take that!' to the cheap person who tried to undercut. 

Example, I see a bot selling for 2 million but the cheapest is 1.999 million, I'm gonna buy the 2 million one every time.  Reason being I know what its like to get undercut by the smallest cheapy amounts, and most other people do also.     

In the end, I'm against any game mechanic that forces people how much lower they can go to become a 'legitimate' lowest price.  It's just part of it and been around for years.