Topic: If I had one wish the next dev blog would be like this:

You have all waited patiently and it's finally time to hear about what we are bringing to the game over the next year.

The first thing I want to talk about is how we are switching to set releases of content. We are moving to a new style of a patch every three months both to give you all something to look forward to and also to give us a bit of a fixed deadline so that we can push ourselves to get stuff on the table. To that end, we will make some firm promises about what we will bring in, and hope to add some little extras in there to surprise you all too.
Currently we are in Perpetuum: Gamma Frontier. Our first release date will be September the 15th and is provisionally called ....

Perpetuum: Assault

Hold on to your hats because this is going to get interesting.
Project Assault is about bringing something that has been sorely lacking over the last few years to you all. New Mechs and Bots. Now before you get overly excited I want to come right out and say that doesn't at this time mean new graphical models. Sadly at this time we don't have the resources to provide that, but more about that later.

What we are talking about is utilizing some of the little used or unused models in game to bring content to the masses that has been sorely missing. We'd like pretty new Mechs too, don't get me wrong, but you don't look at the mantelpiece when your poking the fire.

Public testing of the first patch will go live at the beginning of September and we will talk more about that in the blog below but what you can expect to see over the next twelve months is:
Four tiers of every Robot in the game will be rebalanced and released. Provisionally those tiers will be Reversed, Hacked, Engineered and Commander. Reversed will be based upon technology gleaned from dead robots kernals. Hacked will be from construction templates found in the wreckage of high level missions and through artifacts. Engineered will be made on a bespoke basis based on the technology gained. Commanders are something you will have to wait for ...

Each tier will be distinct and have its own plus and minus points. We are moving away from a blanket increase in power to specialized roles. That's three new Light Bots, Light Ewars, Assaults, Mechs, Ewar Mechs and Heavies that will be released over the next twelve months. If we can get the balancing right we will release some of these every month with the Assault tier in the first six months and the Commander tier released in the following six months.

Now I know you love me, want my babies and can't wait to get the tech, build the bots and go blow each other up in them but wait ... there's more.

In order to facilitate this change Prototyping will be removed from the game in the September patch. All prototypes will be turned in to 150p CT's. Reverse engineering will now produce a CT and not a prototype. The prototype bay will be renamed the engineering bay and used to create the Engineered class of robot.

The next big change I want to discuss is the rebalance and reuse of the weapon tier system. Do you know how many tiers of weapons there are? There are 13. I bet you know how many get used. There is so much filler in the tier system it really gives us a massive opportunity to provide new content.

Expect to see 12 different tiers of weapons, all 12 of which we expect to see in regular use. There will be a standard version of a weapon and then two distinctly different types of weapon. The fourth type will combine some of the bonus of both of those different types for considerably more weight. There will be a slightly better version of each of these weapons that drops relatively regularly from high tier rats and missions. It will also be available in the coming token shop. The last group will be comparatively rare (expected to drop one module per fifty missions) but provide the best performance of each of the types.

The first group of four will be released in September with the next two in the following quarters. The final patch will contain a full rebalance of the gunnery range which will only get the first four tiers up to that point.

All existing modules will be transferred on to the corresponding model on patch day (always moving up if a mid level module) with the exception of T4+ which will remain on the server to either be used or as a collectors item.
Want more? Why not! In order to keep the Devs in Ramen and toast, and hopefully end the year promising new Mech models for Autumn 2016 we are introducing a cash shop which will be on the forums by October and hopefully in game by Christmas.

Provisionally we will have the following items at roughly these prices although expect to see regular changes and sales as we both respond to customer feedback and popularity. The idea is to provide readily available gear and Mechs for reasonable prices. We want to avoid pay to win and rather make it pay not work in much the same way as ICE currently achieves. We will NEVER sell Commander Bots or Mechs or tier three weaponry.

PvP ammo: 500 for $1
Hacked Mech (all Bots - Heavies available, quoted price is a Mech) $5
Engineered Mech (as above) $10
Engineered heavy PVE fit with second tier weaponry $50
Hacked construction templates $5 per 50p

All of the balance changes and new bot types will of course be discussed on the forum beforehand and put on the test server as early as possible. Expect us to respond readily to feedback and them evolve as we balance on the fly and build a new format of fighting in a relatively short amount of time.

Thank you for your patience and I hope we can enjoy this new era together.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: If I had one wish the next dev blog would be like this:

So now were roll playing.

This is going to get kinky.

I am Perpetuum.

Jita wrote:

We want to avoid pay to win

That's the very definition of pay to win, isn't it?

DEV Zoom wrote:
Jita wrote:

We want to avoid pay to win

That's the very definition of pay to win, isn't it?

No, pay to win would be PvP ammo that you couldn't get by doing something in game like WOT used to have before they changed it. It's really no different from buying ice and using the nic.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

I want EP. Can I pay for that too Dev Rollplayer?

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:

I want EP. Can I pay for that too Dev Rollplayer?

You already can through a booster

Jita wrote:

Reverse engineering will now produce a CT and not a prototype.

I think you may want to edit this part, reverse engineering already creates CTs.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Jita wrote:

Reverse engineering will now produce a CT and not a prototype.

I think you may want to edit this part, reverse engineering already creates CTs.

Well it's just a set of ideas. I think we all know I'm far from perfect.

I guess what I was trying to demonstrate is a series of changes that are mostly (with the exception of the cash shop and prototype changes) database amendments and balancing. You could do 90% of that in under a week if you had an idea of what to change stuff too.

The change to the players however would be profound. Drip fed content on a month by month basis with quarterly bigger patches would create a constant stream of interest and build the population over a year. Having something new to produce and play with would bring people back and revitalise PvP, metas would change, fleets would be different, PvP would be fresh again. Every single month.

The month it would take to implement and two months to communicate and make balancing changes would give you a good portion of time left to plan and execute the next change. The cash shop wouldn't add anything to the game you can't already make yourself but provide ease for the lazy and cash for the game.

I know it's recycled content but it's easy and effective IMO ofc.

9 (edited by Jita 2015-07-13 23:54:24)

Different weapon bonus could include:

For blue:

Half the rof, double the volley damage

Reduced dispersion, reduced damage

For green:

Half the cycle time, much longer reload time

Double damage vs shields, 25% less damage vs armour

For yellow

70% less energy use, 15% less damage

Multispectral damage type, 30% less damage

Different bot types might include:

Hacked:

Increased speed, reduced armour, increased utility slots

Engineered:

Reduced speed, increased resists, extra low

10 (edited by Perpetuum 2015-07-14 01:27:17)

So serious Zoom, If I come up with a new class of bots, that makes sense, with all stats and stuff.

Is it going to be seriously considered?

Also pay to have them modeled/ concepts made.

I am Perpetuum.

Perpetuum wrote:

So serious Zoom, If I come up with a new class of bots, that makes sense, with all stats and stuff.

As Fara's models go they have the rat model, the proto model, the mk2 model and the base model to use currently. Actual art requires them hiring someone new to do it and is comparatively expensive.

12 (edited by Burial 2015-07-14 12:26:55)

Dear community,

We have come to the decision to shutdown the Perpetuum servers on August 31, 201X. Although we would personally love to see Perpetuum live forever, every game has a lifetime and we feel that Perpetuum's lifetime has come to an end. The engine behind it is too old to create new, meaningful content and the visuals aren't on par with newer releases that come out on an almost daily basis.

We would like to thank all of the players (both current and past) for their continued loyalty and devotion to the game. Perpetuum was always about the players, and without you all, it wouldn't be here today.

Before we pull the plug, we invite you all to login and have a few final laughs and PVP. I'll try to be on myself so that we can chat in global during the game's final moments.

Although we strongly considered community development, that option did not seem feasible in the end and likely wouldn't have affected the game's growth and population.

Please feel free to contact us with any ideas or inquiries related to the title.

Start encouraging emergent gameplay. Fix the two sided solution. Get people to Betas.

I cant see the harm in trying to push out more content for the players, even if its reusing old models/mudules etc.
Personally I think too much time has been spent pleasing a few end game players, creating complex game mechanics for walls, terraforming etc... rather than more bots, missions, or content and alpha/beta mechanics to attract the big masses. Attract the care bears and you will get content for PVP'ers! yarr

14 (edited by Burial 2015-07-14 18:38:23)

Jita wrote:

Hacked Mech (all Bots - Heavies available, quoted price is a Mech) $5
Engineered Mech (as above) $10
Engineered heavy PVE fit with second tier weaponry $50
Hacked construction templates $5 per 50p

That's worse form of ICE since it's printing assets out of thin air, without a restraint. NIC from ICE is at least restrained by the value people put to Credits. There's only so many times players like Jasdemi will buy 20 ICE from players like Sunny. Anyway, that'd put anyone not willing to dish out enough $ in a position where they'd have to play against players that do, that have asset printers, and don't really need to play the game it's supposed to.. since they have asset printers.

Small fish will get tired of playing against the big fish, leave, and since big fish don't like only playing against other big fish in a small bond, leave aswell. That's basically what all the blatant money-grabbing P2W games do, and die to. Like ArcheAge.

Anyway, in my opinion, there's couple ways to go:

1) Keep doing what they do. Sell ICE and add other elements that gradually milk the small fish out of their fun. But keep everything discreet, so the small fish don't notice.

2) Start buying and selling NIC directly. Turn DEV Zoom into Hungarian reincarnation of Mayer Rothschild that gets a cut from each transaction and move the game to the real-currency, virtual economy niche. Reset game, rebrand, GO.

3) Remove ICE and don't ever think about selling anything that removes the reason to play the game as it's supposed to - to farm and wage wars towards better prospects. Get your money from EP packages, boosters and other items that HELP PLAYING THE GAME AS IT'S SUPPOSED TO.

It comes put of thin air when people mine it. Its not like there's a finite amount of mineral in a closed system that requires bartering to get.

Its a time saver, nothing more. Assets don't win fights in perpetuum, people and organisation do.at worst you would get lazy people spending money to get a lot of mechs in one place. You would still need to fit them, do the logistics to move them to a relevant location and pilot them.

If someone gave every corp but PoE a thousand fit mk2 heavies right now would the game dynamic change? Of course not. People would just not do as much industry.

16 (edited by Burial 2015-07-14 15:53:03)

Jita wrote:

It comes put of thin air when people mine it. Its not like there's a finite amount of mineral in a closed system that requires bartering to get.

Its a time saver, nothing more. Assets don't win fights in perpetuum, people and organisation do.at worst you would get lazy people spending money to get a lot of mechs in one place. You would still need to fit them, do the logistics to move them to a relevant location and pilot them.

If someone gave every corp but PoE a thousand fit mk2 heavies right now would the game dynamic change? Of course not. People would just not do as much industry.

It's not only time-saver if someone has to put assets at risk to get the same result as someone gets with $.

Burial wrote:
Jita wrote:

It's not only time-saver if someone has to put assets at risk to get the same result as someone gets with $.

Well they are putting time at risk, not assets but the time it takes to acquire them.

I just would wait after the Beta 2 changes and spark removement, lets see how the game goes.

And also there is something that Zoom mentioned after this is done. Smaller but more importatn changes also.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Perpetuum wrote:

I will take this as a No.

PM or speak otherwise.  We the players have money we are willing to spend on actual real bots, not reskins.

I am Perpetuum.