1 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-10 18:57:49)

Topic: Last patch or two broke the game again.

During the first few days of release perpetuum was using a lot of bandwidth, if you were running 3 or 4+ clients on a DSL connection then you were pretty much maxing out your connection. This caused massive lag and basically made the game unplayable. The problem is made massively worse the more players around you.

Within a week a patch came out and the problem went away, completely fixed.

Within the last day or two they released a patch and the problem is now back. Once again the game is unplayable if you're into using multiple clients. I'll be closing most of my extra accounts if the problem isn't fixed, because there's no point in having them if each client is transfering stupidly huge amounts of data and causing everything to lag for me.

It's not like i'm on dialup or anything, this kind of problem isn't to be expected for someone who is using a DSL connection (8mb). My bandwidth jumps to 300-400 download and 100 upload when i'm moving around in perpetuum. My ping goes from a stable 50 to N/A, sometimes lowering to about 12,000 for a second or so.

I've also ran line tests on my line, I achieve 8000+ throughput, that means that my ISP is giving me exceptionally good quality service.

2 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-10 19:12:41)

Re: Last patch or two broke the game again.

Huh that's weird, didn't think this would work. I turned off agents from overview on all characters and my lag instantly went, and i remained stable at 50ms.

That should help you guys narrow down what is causing such huge data transfer. Maybe the updating of agent distance.

Would hate to think how bad it will be for people at the next 100+ man fight, gonna be even worse than last time (can it get worse?) Updating the distances for 100+ people... if several clients can bog down a connection with 15 guys on overview.... well 1 client is gonna kill the connection with 100 plus.

Purgatory wrote:

Huh that's weird, didn't think this would work. I turned off agents from overview on all characters and my lag instantly went, and i remained stable at 50ms.

That should help you guys narrow down what is causing such huge data transfer. Maybe the updating of agent distance.

Would hate to think how bad it will be for people at the next 100+ man fight, gonna be even worse than last time (can it get worse?) Updating the distances for 100+ people... if several clients can bog down a connection with 15 guys on overview.... well 1 client is gonna kill the connection with 100 plus.

+1 Nice work!

Theres no way you're eating up an 8mb connection, dude.

If you want to see exactly how much the clients are using, just search for the Resource Monitor in the start menu and look at the Network tab.

I am Perpetuum's Most Dangerous Agent and an equal opportunity troll.
-> You just lost The Game <-
"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

You  know what, maybe that agents on overview thing didn't work afterall, soon as I came back and went close to TMA my ping spiked from 50 to 1000, 17000 followed by NA and now I can't move atall. Not sure if the npc drones are causing it, removed them too but it's still lagged.

Even if you dont show them on the overview, you're obviously still receiving the same information.  THe only thing you're improving is any graphic power needed to render those names on your UI, which is pretty much nothing.

"Perpetuum sounds like a something I would stick up my *** for enjoyement." -Kaito Kurusaki

7 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-10 19:26:31)

Here's a screenshot of my resource monitor tab, check out the usage on the perpetuum clients - http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/2600 … source.jpg

My ping is 50 at the time of taking that, i'll move to the spot where i always same to lag out and take another. The area between TMA and fort donnerth II station lags me like crazy.

8 (edited by Neoxx 2010-12-10 19:30:55)

Away from the Terminal on alpha I'm seeing about 40Kb (5KB) and when near the terminal I'm seeing about 90-100Kb (12KB).  This is no where CLOSE to maxing out your connection unless you're gonna be using dial up.

Once and a while you'll spike download about 2MB when moving into new areas of the map and download the height map (for use when we have terraforming and need to update the terrain levels on the fly).

Its possible that your favorite farming spot is right by a zone line, and when you're running around you're crossing it over and over and over causing your connection to download WAY more than is needed.  I remember 1 such spot on Daoden that had a noob spawn right on one of these lines, and if I wasnt careful I'd get tons of lag spikes when crossing it.

EDIT: To put things into perspective, your 8mb connection is about 1,000,000 B/sec, which is how your resource monitor is displaying it.  With your current use from your screen, you're not even using 1% of your connection speed.

I'm totally lagged out now in the area between tma and the teleporter, my ping is at N/A - http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/3719 … ource2.jpg

10 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-10 19:30:27)

I'm just hauling ore, and a paticular area always lags me out to death each time i pass by.

I'm also wondering why in the second screenshot one of my clients is using 3x the resources even though the clients are altogether.

Repasting my edit in case you didnt notice it:

EDIT: To put things into perspective, your 8mb connection is about 1,000,000 B/sec, which is how your resource monitor is displaying it.  With your current use from your screen, you're not even using 1% of your connection speed.

That usage when you're lagged is NOTHING compared to your supposed connection speed.   But it is possible that the zone changes are clogging your connection when it downloads the height map on every one of your clients at the same time.  Simple answer is to not train that many clients right next to eachother on a connection that cant handle that load.

Might also be part of the chinese/korean governments failsafes to prevent the gold selling multiboxers from infesting other european countries video games.

<we know where you live>

~G~

Yeah i'm sure the asian governments have any care atall in the world about UK players multiboxing in random online games.

Thats why I didnt go to Walmart and buy Netzero.

Seriously though I get lag spikes during prime time, but it hasnt been miserable yet. Side note, most of my playing time occurs after prime time.

16 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-10 23:06:38)

Actually it looks like neoxx might be onto something. The lag always happens in the same area, right in the centre of the map on new virginia, heading from TMA to fort donnert II teleporter. Based on the fact that it's right in the centre of the map i'm wondering if the zone is split up into 4 or more zones at this point and maybe this exact location has me changing zones several times, assuming that it's kind of like a crossroads where 4 zones meet.

Anywhere else is fine.#

Took a screenshot of the place it happens at http://img64.imageshack.us/img64/9041/perpetulag.jpg

run speedtest.net as well as their ping test. Pick a server next to you and a server in Hungary post results.

I really doubt your getting ur full 8mb connection. On my 8mb/325k connection i can download at a steady 7~ with upload at a steady 0.25 with a p2p client witch in it's nature causes a lot of overhead. Perpetuum is not pushing that much up or down at all...

18 (edited by CenDre 2010-12-11 00:20:36)

hehehe 4 accounts on the same comp and he thinks the game is the problem.....bet its not so much game lag but sucky cpu and not enough ram.

Try running task manager minimized while running 1 account then add accounts till you are maxed and see if your problem isn't the game but your comp running out of resources.

I have 4 gigs of ram and a 2.7 gig duel core cpu on win 7. TS and vent minimized

one account runs at 60% cpu and 2gig of ram. second account runs 95+ cpu and 3 gigs ram

good thing my MB can support a quad core processor(already ordered from newegg)

ram will not fix everything. you still have the limitations of the OS and throughput of your MB to transport data to the cpu

Until some one develops a truly multi threaded OS there will always be a data path bottleneck the can not be broken

I don't think its the game so much as you pushing the limits of your hardware. Maybe if you had a server system to play on you might get better performance.

19 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-11 00:11:11)

CenDre wrote:

hehehe 4 accounts on the same comp and he thinks the game is the problem.....bet its not so much game lag but sucky cpu and not enough ram.

My computer can run 7 perpetuum clients without any fps problems, i've never tried to run more than that, but I bet it could handle even more. Whatever computer you're using, I bet mine is 5 times more powerful. I recently removed 66% of my ram while testing something and only then with 5 clients running did I see a very tiny bit of slow down, which went away as soon as I put the rest of the ram back in. When you're into the 10-20 gigs of ram marker you know that ram is not something you'll be worrying about for a while.

Also 5 gigs of my bandwidth is being used DAILY just to play perpetuum, that's absolutely crazy for an mmorpg, and it's just further proof that there's a problem.

If there's any reason lag, it's because perpetuum is sucking up all of my upload bandwidth.

20 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-11 00:18:39)

You seriously have no idea wtf you're talking about Cen-dur. My fps is amazing, I could load 20 browser windows near instant while the lag spike is happening, there's nothing wrong with my CPU. When the lag spike occurs, my ping shoots up to around 17,000 followed by NA. My character will constantly rubberband back to the same spot, you're pretty damn *** if you think that's still an issue with my computer hardware. Stop trying to act clever, you just look like an idiot.

And let's not forget my bandwidth monitor showing my upload at close to 100kpb, it should never be that high, it's throttling my entire upload bandwidth.

22 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-11 00:25:16)

You keep editing stuff into your post. Ok let's get this one over with finally shall we. This isn't my only PC. My other PC, to my left, with just 1 client running, following around my character on my main PC, will lag the the hell out at the exact same time as the character on my main PC. Explain to me why that is if this is a hardware issue? You think the other pc is sharing the hardware issue of my main PC even though it is running only one client and it's a completely seperate PC with seperate hardware? I guess 8% cpu usage must be to heavy for it.

It has to be the height maps maxing your connection.  Maybe they need to optimize those downloads to not prioritize over the usual data being sent.

Don't know what to tell you with the upload though.  I never see much in that department

CenDre wrote:

If you check the screenshot i posted i show the exact same spot it always happens at, the place I am located at on the map there. That's practically in the centre of the map, i'm assuming there might be a zone change thing going on around there, maybe even a few zone edges meet up there?