Topic: Will the game get a Graphics Update at all?

I am considering coming back after a very long time being out of the game, but I see the game hasn't changed at all visually which may not be a terrible thing, but I remember a heck of a lot of textures back over a year ago or so were really low quality textures. So I'm wondering now that the game has since moved over to steam, if there are any plans in the works to give the game a much needed graphical bump to entice new players to come to the game?

Re: Will the game get a Graphics Update at all?

Afaik it is very low priority. The internet is cant really handle much more I think, dont need better graphics here. Because everyone in 1 server, and such.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

3 (edited by Inda 2014-10-16 06:03:15)

-double post-

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

because the pretty graphics is what is fun here

Inda wrote:

Afaik it is very low priority. The internet is cant really handle much more I think, dont need better graphics here. Because everyone in 1 server, and such.

the grafic of a game is hardly related to your internet connection, unless lots of textures are streamed (like in firefall the terrain texture)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The internet can't handle the Perp.

lol lol lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Yes, a new engine is in the works, both for the GUI and the 3D graphics. As you might guess this is a rather large project so at this point I can't really say a solid timeframe for it.

8 (edited by Celebro 2014-10-16 14:49:23)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Yes, a new engine is in the works, both for the GUI and the 3D graphics. As you might guess this is a rather large project so at this point I can't really say a solid timeframe for it.

Will this be an update of the old engine or complete from scratch? Would this engine be just for gfx effects or will other possibilities open up? Like bigger islands and mechs larger than 1 tile wide.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

Will this be an update of the old engine or complete from scratch? Would this engine be just for gfx effects or will other possibilities open up? Like bigger islands and mechs larger than 1 tile wide.

It's a complete rewrite, basically a Perpetuum 2.0. But this is about the client, doesn't have to do anything with server constraints or similar stuff, like your examples.

So will the new engine allow for new features that the old engine wouldnt allow because everything was "hard" coded?

asking because of font smile

Gwyndor wrote:

So will the new engine allow for new features that the old engine wouldnt allow because everything was "hard" coded?

asking because of font smile

I heard the new GUI will be able to resize the fonts.

RIP PERPETUUM

Yes that is one of the main reasons for the new GUI.

Thanks so much for reply Dev Zoom. Understood its a large project and I know you're a small team but I am very excited about this... thanks!  obviously impossible to give a date on this right now, but are we looking at a year from now for this to happen? just trying to get a sense of how far away this might be or at least a round-a-bought time frame.

what are we talking about?
are you writing a new "grafic engine", or the complete client package that will have a new grafic, scripting, sound and physic engine?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

Yes that is one of the main reasons for the new GUI.

and openGL ?? hehe

+1 looking forward to a new client. An updated GUI would be awesome!