1 (edited by Jita 2014-09-04 11:59:41)

Topic: Station locking

Locking stations is a good mechanic and needed for end game Beta control when the population of the game is such that its useful. When the population is low it just serves as a disincentive to living on Beta and reduces the amount of possible PvP.

I suggest suspending the station lock mechanic until the population returns to reasonable levels and it is once again needed as an extra element of Beta ownership.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Re: Station locking

+1

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Lol.  What's the matter, can't get your Lithus full of missile towers to ICS-B?

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

-1.  Its too powerful combined with spark teleports.  People would play tedious station games.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Station games > dead beta

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

No, they aren't. TMB and ASITEC both are unoccupied islands with open terminals on them.  Use them.

7 (edited by Burial 2014-09-04 13:18:16)

Ville wrote:

-1.  Its too powerful combined with spark teleports.  People would play tedious station games.

You're a hypocrite. (Ville turned soft and decided to edit his original post. Here's screencap.)

Proof:

Ville wrote:

The way I see it there's going to be a slew of noobs at Steam launch.  They are not going to like seeing a bunch of areas they could stage and attempt to live but it's instantly taken away!  Or beg some random CEO to allow their faction to exist.  And lets face it we ALL want more new player retention and more pvp right?

I see Jitas rubbing off on people.  After actively living on Dom, I've learned a thing or two about island ownership.  What I learned is that it takes a lot of effort to truly secure an island.  This change would literally make it next to impossible to logistically use an island.  Smaller entities would literally be griefed off islands.  By the shear number of alts that can be created and put into a station.

I did use to think this would help,that was until i learned how easy some corps/alliance throw in the towel after a couple of battles.

Burial wrote:
Ville wrote:

You're a hypocrite.

Proof:

Ville wrote:

The way I see it there's going to be a slew of noobs at Steam launch.  They are not going to like seeing a bunch of areas they could stage and attempt to live but it's instantly taken away!  Or beg some random CEO to allow their faction to exist.  And lets face it we ALL want more new player retention and more pvp right?

I see you changed your mind on verbiage.  Good for you.

I see you changed that post - good for you!

But to get back on the point opening the stations would give new corps the opportunity to live. What is needed on beta is 6 or 7 entities living there and right now there are nowhere near that amount of people able to contest a station.

Sounds like you can't capture an outpost.

Dev intervention, emergency patch in 24 hours. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

possibly the most asinine suggestion I have heard in a long time

more like trolling....

Jita wrote:

Locking stations is a good mechanic and needed for end game Beta control when the population of the game is such that its useful. When the population is low it just serves as a disincentive to living on Beta and reduces the amount of possible PvP.

I suggest suspending the station lock mechanic until the population returns to reasonable levels and it is once again needed as an extra element of Beta ownership.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Because one entity owning all the stations in the game is good for the population?

14 (edited by Crepitus 2014-09-04 15:38:41)

Jita wrote:

Because one entity owning all the stations in the game is good for the population?

I would say it's a total non-factor.  Also, unlocking a station doesn't automagically bestow ownership, it just makes it impossible to use for industry.  I think Gunner is dead on.  Asinine suggestion.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

15 (edited by Burial 2014-09-04 16:02:54)

Jita wrote:

They fail to see the direct benefit so obviously it's asinine. They would lose part of their control over who can do what and they get defensive. Only a couple of players from 77 can see beyond their distorted self-serving bias and Gunnar is not one of them.

@Gunnar: Open stations = more players on Betas = more PVP = more content. You used to be all about PVP, what turned Gunnar soft?

I was wondering when reading this thread. How many games turn off features to adjust to the game population. I also was wondering if that is good game design either way.....

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

There is no direct benefit to the newbie player.

There is only benefit to incompetent vets who can't capture a station to begin with.

CIR Complaint Form

18 (edited by Burial 2014-09-04 16:26:58)

Syndic wrote:

There is only benefit to incompetent vets who can't capture a station to begin with.

Wrong. It has a direct benefit to whoever wishes to see more population on Betas.

Crepitus wrote:

unlocking a station doesn't automagically bestow ownership

It would shift the Beta paradigm from owning an outpost to using the island being the ultimate goal. You can't argue that it's not beneficial.

Crepitus wrote:

it just makes it impossible to use for industry.

Spark teleportation would have to change too. The developers are improving highways and teleport networks, perhaps they finally will get around to fixing spark teleportation too.

19 (edited by Annihilator 2014-09-04 16:35:04)

station locking was implemented for a reason.
its a good idea bad implemented.

The original intention of the whole intrustion 2.0 was to give those actually "living" in and around a station an advantage. Locking out someone who could just haul mats there in off-times and undock a whole attack force as often as necessary when a SAP opens up, was one of those changes.

The station lockign fails where someone can have 15 outposts without actively playing around them.

Burial wrote:

Spark teleportation would have to change too. The developers are improving highways and teleport networks, perhaps they finally will get around to fixing spark teleportation too.

perhaps the remove it with the overall speed boost zoom announced

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:
Burial wrote:

That's the best possible fix. Removes all the magic from movement, everything is monitorable and catalogable.

21 (edited by Crepitus 2014-09-04 16:49:54)

Burial wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Wrong. It has a direct benefit to whoever wishes to see more population on Betas.

Crepitus wrote:

unlocking a station doesn't automagically bestow ownership

It would shift the Beta paradigm from owning an outpost to using the island being the ultimate goal. You can't argue that it's not beneficial.

Crepitus wrote:

it just makes it impossible to use for industry.

Bullshit.  Syndic is right, this does nothing to help newbies and only caters to defeated vets, most of whom don't even actively play the game.  All it would do is make it easy for you to grief station owners and make living on Beta even less desirable than it already is. 

As for sparks, the second they're removed from the game will be the final time I uninstall.  Travel times are and have always been pants-on-head full *** brokenly slow; even with sparks and beacons and autopilot all of which have been enormous QoL improvements. 

ALWAYS REMEMBER: THIS IS A GAME AND THEREFORE BEING FUN SHOULD BE *THE* TOP PRIORITY

EDIT:

Annihilator wrote:

Citation Needed.

Population graphs

Since you and Jita don't really consider the bigger picture or the implications when you inform us of your entitlement to "X", removing docking rights would actually decrease PVP and the already slim reasons to PVP. Ownership of a station and it's subsequent perks of facilities, docking rights, and station auras is a very slim reason to incentivise corporations into making an effort and capturing their own outpost.

Therefore, it only has direct benefit to your cascaded alliance, since it would only serve to allow you to pursue your modus operandi of avoiding PVP risk and reaping benefits of Epri mining - while having our own stations be a convenient place for you to dock up in case stuff looks risky.

Which after all, is why this came up in the first place. It's not about the game or about the new players - it's all about how JOKE & STC are entitled to be on Beta and it's horribly wrong they're not allowed to be on Beta by other players.

CIR Complaint Form

Crepitus: http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … ot-speeds/

Robots will gain a fixed 36kmph speed increase and highways and teleport network gets an overhaul.

If you want a station unlocked, come capture one.

What's the worst that can happen, PVP? lol

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

If stations are unlocked people might live on beta.

What's the worst that can happen, PVP? lol

fyp