1 (edited by Neijek 2010-12-08 15:51:29)

Topic: Detailed Info for Extensions / Modifiers

As it stands now, extensions have a fairly detailed explanation of the use/bonus they provide.

As we learn the game, and speak to the devs/others (thanks for being there devs) we learn that there are a lot of minute differences in how one reads the explanation and how it actually applies to the game.

For instance, armor extensions have diminishing returns or extensions that do not "specifically" state "percentage point" do not actually add +x% +x% per lvl but actually must be calculated by doing a base * 1.xx * 1.xx formula.

While i understand that keeping some things "hidden, or unknown" might be normal or might benefit the "as u learn you figure things out". I feel that in the current setting where EP can NOT be refunded it might be a good idea to be more clear about what an extension actually does.

(this i guess COULD be done by an outside community website, as it so often is in most MMORPGs) I dont see why it could not be done IG.

The ideas I tossed back and forth with a dev where like this:

Idea 1:
Implement within the extension description the real formula it gets applied with and or diminishing returns. With maybe under the "info of said extension" it's current applied value based on how many lvls you purchased in that extension.

Idea 2:
Improve the current highlight feature within modules (as you check a module/bot that is equipped you will see a highlighted value when a modifier is in place - blue color)  with a tooltip which details not only the value (as it does now) but what extension and/or module is modifying the base value and by how much.

------

This will bring about a much cleaner understanding of where to spend your points, what they are actually doing and how to improve about it and calculate where you want to go. I feel it would not make things "too" easy, just bring about a better cleaner understanding of the game as you progress through your extensions.

Re: Detailed Info for Extensions / Modifiers

I don't see this happening any time soon, but I certainly think it's a great idea.

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

I don't see this happening any time soon, but I certainly think it's a great idea.

ya, right now most of the devs are concentrated on fixes and planing expansion, but the dev i was talking to at length about it last night said he really liked the idea, and could see something like it implemented... smile hopefully soon if we get more replies like yours smile (thx) smile

+1. This, and how the percentages for production/industry add up - both should be clear from in-game descriptions. Right now, it is clear as mud.

I like the idea although in some cases it's fairly obvious how the extensions work.  I will second the thought regarding production/industry--I thought I had those mostly figured out but last night I increased some industry extensions that did not do what I thought they'd do. 

Perhaps I reached a "cap" but I don't think there's any way to know the limits based on the numbers presented in game.  Further research is required...but that is perhaps part of the challenge/fun of not having the formulas (not that I wouldn't mind having 2000 EP back on extensions that didn't seem to have any benefit!)

thats the thing, as its not something we can fix by say, going out and killing a few mobs, or popping a few nic to unlearn and get ep back, its too key to have clear descriptions. The ones that say "percentage point' are very clear, the rest go by a very different forumula (so base +1.0x (per lvl) which is very much unclear to most first timers (i have no idea and a lot of people in help did not either) . Plus the diminishing returns are unknown unless we ask a dev thus. why not just make it nice and clean smile maybe implement both of my ideas tongue

I'm with Idea 1, but not so much with Idea 2. Part of the game is to read the descriptions, understand what they should do and know what you need. This only works if the descriptions are absolutely clear.

Idea 1 is a must have in my opinion. I wanted to know how many medium miner modules I could equip onto my Termis. So I had to figure out how to calculate the CPU/Reactor requirements keeping my extensions in mind. Most important of all was to know how to calculate the ACC requirement. How many medium modules can I equip without depleting my accumulator. And then which extensions do I have to upgrade by how much until I can equip another medium module. For that I needed to know the formulas.