1 (edited by Burial 2014-05-02 23:42:56)

Topic: Sensor suppressor locking time debuff

Base% * (1 + (extensionBonus% + robotBonus%)) + (extensionBonus% + robotBonus%)

Is it supposed to apply extension and robot bonuses on the suppressor's locking time debuff twice? Why?

2 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-03 02:40:37)

Re: Sensor suppressor locking time debuff

because your formula is wrong...

how many years is it since the last time i have seen that one?
oh wait, its one of those i wanted to fix in that wiki formula page that contains multiple of those wrong ones.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Nerf ewar!!  Nerf ewar!!  Because I use wrong formulas.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

btw, the formula may work,
its not even "completely wrong" to begin with - but when you forget 100% at the input, you have to add it later.

just think about it.
the locktime mod of the supressor shows 40% in that info. if the game would use that number, the locktime would actually decrease and make buffed one lock things faster.

even a math noob should know that "40% more locktime" translates to 140%, aka a factor of 1.4

and a perpetuum Veteran should know that the ingame info panels cut off 100% by default to display the actual bonus/penalty, not as factor.
So many blames of "hungarian math" are based on missunderstanding those displayed numbers

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

5 (edited by Burial 2014-11-21 22:17:35)

Is it wrong or right? Because I went over the numbers and it checks out every single time. wink

Regardless of how it is applied, the right formula should just be Base% + (extensionBonus% + robotBonus%). Zoom?

oh man
you ad the "1+" everwhere in youre formula except the input.

just an example:
my basic robotics is lvl9, sensor supressing 5 (=15%)
a t4 supressor has locktime increase 40%
a intakt with that level has 27% locktime supression

supressor info ingame shows 99%
set it:
(1+ 0.4) * (1+0.27+0.15) = 1.988 aka lockitme of (rounded) 199% aka a locktime increase of 99%

if you dig deep in the forums, you will find that i somwhere have writted down a single formula that works of ALL extension. Its as simple as that.

Is the wiki formula wrong too?

Sensor Suppressor locking time :

Sensor Supressor locking time base x ( 1 + Sensor suppressing x 0.03 + Basic/Advanced robotics x 0.03) + ( Sensor suppressing + Basic/Advanced robotics ) x 3

With Sensor Suppressor Tunings :

Sensor Supressor locking time x ( 1 + % Sensor Suppressor tuning ) + Sensor Suppressor tuning

Example with Skill at 10 and T4 Sensor suppressor and T4 Sensor suppressor tuning :
40 x ( 1 + 0.6 ) + 60 = 124 % => 124 x 1.17 + 17 = 162.08 % locking time

RIP PERPETUUM

8 (edited by Ozy 2014-05-04 02:55:19)

Annihilator wrote:

(1+ 0.4) * (1+0.27+0.15) = 1.988 aka lockitme of (rounded) 199% aka a locktime increase of 99%

Celebro's formula for the base locking time is correct as well though, but I'm not sure the tuner math is correct (Edit: based on quick testing, it comes pretty close but is not completely correct).

Sheet with formula: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … edit#gid=0

Either way, your formula does help explains that there's at least some logic behind how the value is calculated. The question now becomes whether this intended behaviour or whether it's an oversight. The somewhat exponential effect tuners have should/could be considered here as it's over-amplified due to how the math works out.

Ozy wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

Celebro's formula for the base locking time is correct as well though, but I'm not sure the tuner math is correct (Edit: based on quick testing, it comes pretty close but is not completely correct).

Sheet with formula: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … edit#gid=0

Either way, your formula does help explains that there's at least some logic behind how the value is calculated. The question now becomes whether this intended behaviour or whether it's an oversight. The somewhat exponential effect tuners have should/could be considered here as it's over-amplified due to how the math works out.

well, the tuner formula is as "wrong" as the other one. and its not an oversight. EVERY modifier in this game is calculated the same way.

if the item info says "-30%", the real modifier is 0.7, displayed is the result of 0.7-1 = -0.30 = -30%
if the item info says "30%", the real modifier is 1.3, displayed is the result of 1.3-1 = 0.30 = 30%

in that universal formula, there is a variable exponent that is either +1 or -1, that is -1 whenever the extension is reducing the input number, so it can never reach zero (eg. cycletimes)

Annihilator wrote:

in that universal formula, there is a variable exponent that is either +1 or -1, that is -1 whenever the extension is reducing the input number, so it can never reach zero (eg. cycletimes)

Mathematically, this has pretty extreme effects when the base values are percentages. Just out of curiosity, are there any other cases where percentages are being modified like with suppressors?

Annihilator wrote:

EVERY modifier in this game is calculated the same way.

Wrong. Even on the same sensor suppressor tuning there is a 10% AP usage drawback meaning you use 10% more AP which in my book is applied correctly, but the locking time is not applied the same way. No need for formulas I have the raw data to prove it.

What I don't understand is how 2 different modifiers on the same tuner, apply percentage increases differently or the information window is misleading or there has been an oversight, in either the AP usage or lock time bonus.

RIP PERPETUUM

@celebro there's no real technical difference in how the bonuses are applied. the difference comes from the base value. with AP values (and almost everything else in the game) you're operating on normal numbers, while you work with a percentage on suppressors. Now, instead of using the raw percentage and then modifying that, the percentage is transformed into a multiplier (.4 -> 1.4) before applying the buffs. This is kind of a special case, but i'm not convinced that the current values are intended.

ozy:
weapon damage (any damage extension)
mining module amount, (any mining/harvesting amount extension)
supression (supressor, thats the topic about)
nexus (any nexus buff is % based)
sensor amps. (they have their own extension, % based)
geoscanner accuracy (not sure, but i think that one too)
etc.

its not so uncommmon.
the only EXCEPTION is "missile guidance". and that one already says in its info "percentage points"

every % multiplier ingame is calculated that way. look at all those extensions - there you don't question that you have to add a 1+ within the bracket just to turn those % infos into a multiplier.

and i dont really see how that this is a problem at all. for that reason, the extension bonuses are kept low (3% per level)

14 (edited by Celebro 2014-05-04 18:25:21)

Here is some raw data on field, on the whole principle it is somewhat correct 17.5% (should be 17% with T4 tuner so should be looked at) bonus is applied once the 90% is calculated, then for more tuners the number percentage increases on top. This is confusing how it is shown on the information window because it's dependent on the target.

Using a Zenith on a castel with a locking time of 7.35 seconds

With lvl 10 advance robotics
No Complex Jamming skill               

Sensor supressor bonus/No. tuners T4    /Skill Suppressor/Jamming/    Difference per tuning added/Increase per tuner /1/2 supressor(s) on Castel bot in sec.

90%        0    2    1    0    0       14            26.66         
124%    1    2    1    34    0    16.45    36.8
163%    2    2    1    39    5    19.33    50.81
209%    3    2    1    46    7    22.71    70.15
263%    4    2    1    54    8    26.69    96.88<-Edit: Need a Zenith MK2 for this one so its calculated.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How I thought it was (below). This is simply adding 17% of the tuning bonus as a normal number to your skill base which is 90% in this case. (No Hungarian math.) Here you get 17% more on your module not on the target locking time. To me it looks much more reasonable , but i will still go for a stacking penalty

90%        0    2    0    0    0       14            26.66
107%    1    2    1    17    0    15.21    31.48
124%    2    2    1    17    0    16.46    36.87
141%    3    2    1    17    0    17.71    42.68
158%    4    2    1    17    0    18.96    48.92

RIP PERPETUUM

Despite all the maths what's the purpose of this thread? Um let me guess...

Annihilator wrote:

ozy:
weapon damage (any damage extension)
mining module amount, (any mining/harvesting amount extension)
supression (supressor, thats the topic about)
nexus (any nexus buff is % based)
sensor amps. (they have their own extension, % based)
geoscanner accuracy (not sure, but i think that one too)
etc.

I did some very brief testing and weapons and their tuners definitely don't follow this formula (i.e., the raw percentage is used). Mining modules do, however. Amps don't and geoscanners might not as well (will check later). Some of the nexuses could be using it, but the majority isn't.

Just to clarify again, this whole thread is basically about the usage of the raw percentage (40% = .4) versus the multiplier of the percentage (1.4) as base value in formulas, and not multiplication with percentage changes.

Rage Rex wrote:

It's about nerfing EW specifcally Sensor suppressor on the surface wink , but I see no correct formula yet, which is what I was trying to find out and if it's intended.

RIP PERPETUUM

18 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-04 19:46:24)

i correct my statement - for weapons, the 100% is not cut off, but not displayed if 100% exactly.

so, celebro, how do you calculate:
demobs
sensor amps
remote sensor amps
Interference emitter

19 (edited by Ozy 2014-05-04 20:04:25)

Rage Rex wrote:

An item is not behaving as expected, mathematically speaking, and we're trying to determine what's intended here. If you're looking for agendas and stuff, corp dialogues is the right forum tongue

As for the formula .... your base formula worked, celebro.

If we want to include tuners, this seems to work somewhat:

PTR * (1+Tuner%^#tuners)+#tuners*tuner%

It's accurate for the first tuner, but then produces results that are slightly off. In absolute and rounded terms, the results are off by 1% per added tuner.

Edit: Also, annihilator .. there seems to be a lack of understanding on your part right now (even though you helped me understand what was going on with the sup initially). The problem ONLY occurs when you're transforming a base percentage into a multiplier and use that for your stacking calculation. This is not the case with either amps or demobs. Those simply apply percentages as you'd expect--i.e., base * (1-%)^#ofamps for amps. Same goes for demobs really. This is expected behavior. What isn't expected is base +- x * (1 + bonus)

20 (edited by Annihilator 2014-05-04 20:11:07)

and if you use my formula (and set in the right values), you get exact results, no matter how many tuners used.
(oh, and i don't use a second step for tuners, i add them in one go)

*edit*
wait, you expect to use (1-displayed number as decimal) * (stuff) if its a negative % number, but you dont expect to use (1+displayed number as decimal) * (stuff) if its a positive?

thats what your saying?

*edit edit* oh, and i meant sensor amps themself, they get an extension bonus. we are talking about modules that have a modifier that is modified by extension. not the sensor amps effect on your locktime

21 (edited by Celebro 2014-05-04 20:17:23)

Ozy wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:

An item is not behaving as expected, mathematically speaking, and we're trying to determine what's intended here. If you're looking for agendas and stuff, corp dialogues is the right forum tongue

As for the formula .... your base formula worked, celebro.

If we want to include tuners, this seems to work somewhat:

PTR * (1+Tuner%^#tuners)+#tuners*tuner%

It's accurate for the first tuner, but then produces results that are slightly off. In absolute and rounded terms, the results are off by 1% per added tuner.

Thanks for the input,with the data I gathered just add 0.5 to you tuner bonus before mulitplying it, because it's wrongly being applied not really much but aside from that it is behaving as expected because you need to apply the bonus every step of the way; skill modules and tuner all add up to the target not the bot, which can be confusing. So if your mod info says its 90% it will apply 90% less lock time, with a tuner it will apply your tuner bonus + 0.5 on top of that 90% and so on.

RIP PERPETUUM

22 (edited by Celebro 2014-05-04 20:35:49)

Annihilator wrote:

i correct my statement - for weapons, the 100% is not cut off, but not displayed if 100% exactly.

demobs
sensor amps
remote sensor amps
Interference emitter

I don't know but I understand how it works now, but the way it is applied it is rather confusing for new players. It's like you add a tuner and think it will increase your bot bonus by that amount but no, it increases the target bot locking time by that same amount after skills and any extra tuner of that type.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
Annihilator wrote:

demobs
sensor amps
remote sensor amps
Interference emitter

I don't know but I understand how it works now, but the way it is applied it is rather confusing for new players. It's like you add a tuner and think it will increase your bot bonus by that amount but no, it increases the target bot locking time by that same amount after skills and any extra tuner of that type.

no matter how they do, noobs are always confused by the difference of 30% bonus, and modifer 130%. there are the ones that understand it, the ones that don't.
and all noobs will learn at some point, what the vets mean with "hungarian math"

btw, i wonder if zoom still doesn't know the difference between "Rate of fire" and "cycletime" wink

oh, and last but not least - its really 17.5% on the t4 supressor tuning, and thats a bug to report.
Zoom - the t4 supressor tuning cuts off one decimal! fix it.
/close

24 (edited by Ozy 2014-05-05 02:22:14)

The T3 cuts one off too .. that's 16.5%. If nothing else, this thread did increase the amount of available information by uncovering that.

This means that the formula(s) for tuners above are indeed correct.

--

All in all, the suppression calculation itself could be accepted. What stands as really problematic is how the math implementation affects the tuners--while pretty much every other tuner in the game applies the bonus as you'd expect, SS tuners effectively convey twice their stated bonus per tuner. I'd like a statement of whether this is intended behaviour, ideally.

--
Problem description:

The general tuner formula is as follows
1) Y = Base * (1 + %change)^number of tuners.

Strictly speaking, the same formula is used for sensor tunings, but the caveat is that instead of base, (base + 1) is used. Like so:

2) Y = (Base + 1) * (1 + %change)^number of tuners.

An alternative way to write this is like so:

2) Y = Base * (1 + %change)^number of tuners + number of tuners * %change.

The second formula demonstrates the issue more clearly as it's apparent what tangible effect the (base + 1) has (+ number of tuners * %change). This means that, effectively, tuners do apply their bonus double on suppressors while pretty much every (most?) other item in the game simply applies the bonus from the tuners directly (= just one time). The result is that the suppressor tuner effect is significantly more potent than the bonuses other tuners convey

--
Solution:

1. Either modify the base value for tuners internally so that it's .4 and not 1.4 and then change the formula that's used to calculate the bonus to celebro's formula (see below*). This would allow the tuner formula to remain the same is it is now.

2. Specifically modify the tuner formula that's used to calculate the sensor suppressor bonus to
y = (base - 1) * (1 + %change)^number of tuners.

Celebro's Formula: Y = Base * (1 + Robot Bonus *.03 + SS Skill * 0.03) + Robot Bonus *.03 + SS Skill * 0.03

25 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-05-05 00:17:14)

Celebro wrote:
Ozy wrote:
Rage Rex wrote:

Thanks for the input, with the data I gathered just add 0.5 to you tuner bonus before mulitplying it, because it's wrongly being applied not really much but aside from that it is behaving as expected because you need to apply the bonus every step of the way; skill modules and tuner all add up to the target not the bot, which can be confusing. So if your mod info says its 90% it will apply 90% less lock time, with a tuner it will apply your tuner bonus + 0.5 on top of that 90% and so on.

Having read hundreds of posts from Celebro I have opined that he is Objective and Sincere. You Ozy, I've never noticed in the forums (and being in STC does not help your Objective Credibility on this topic).

Since Burial started this thread in Bugs and Burial is as Biased as they come for ewar I will defer to Celebro's opinion on the math.

This smells like another "nerf ewar" thread now with phony maths.

Rather than watch you guys all poke around in the dark with sticks perhaps a Dev can just post the formula, end the 'discussion' about a factual formula.