Topic: Steam Account Multiboxing

Hello. My question regards multiple live accounts run from a single PC. If people buy from the website (something unavailable for me due to the banking in my area in Michigan USA) they can run multiple separate accounts on multiple clients simultaneously. Foolishly, I bought a second version of Perpetuum on a second steam account, thinking at the time that I could simultaneously run two accounts from two separate steam accounts (since only one client can launch per time per steam account). The issue is that steam will only allow one profile on a computer at a time, unless one goes ahead and runs the second account through a VM.

What I don't understand is why steam bought versions cannot be launched in the standalone client? I feel that my steam version of the game is handicapped unnecessarily. Is there a plan to fix the linking of accounts such that I can run Perpetuum, thought bought on steam, through the standalone client downloaded from the perpetuum-online website?

Re: Steam Account Multiboxing

You can download the game separately from perpetuum website.  It will install like a regular game client.  Use you second steam account to log into the stand alone version of the game and run your main from steam account.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Tried that. Even though the account is linked from steam, i cannot play on the standalone client. If you buy the game on the perpetuum website and link to steam, you can run on both; if you buy from steam first, you cannot run it on the standalone. Hence my OP.

clients that are bought on steam can only launched from there (s war as i think that the devs said that).

clinets that are bought from the perp site can be launched with both if you link the bought game to a steam account.

and yes steam only allows one client and only one game running at a time. thats a steam problem and i think the devs cant do anything about it.
i am not sure if can can do anything about that you can use a steam baught account and get another login for the standart client. atm its the way that it logs in with your steam id and that only works with the steam client that you can only start via steam. so you are back at the first problem.

the perp site accepts paypal, credit card and moneybookers. normaly these are general accepted payment methods a person can access. or what payment method would you need?

go to your 'common' Steam folder

right-click the perpetuum.exe program and 'pin to taskbar'

launch game from taskbar

I use the above method for launching my Scream games. YMMV smile

Zortarg - Yep, thats the current state of things. I'm hoping that eventually (as with other games) we'll get keys for our steam purchases that will allow us to use the standalone client.

Hanneble - Even if you launch from the independent application in the steamapps/common folder, when attempting to log in you need to have the steam profile active; otherwise you get an error as it tries to log in saying "Steam ticket error: k_EResultNoConnection". It works with other games because you get an independent CD key when you buy them - we don't with perpetuum.

Guess Ill get to work setting up a VM in the meantime.

wait because you live in Michigan you cant buy the game on the website?

Stranger Danger / Capital Punishment / Cyberdown
Pillar of the Community
Ruler of Recruit Chat
CIR Ministry of Truth

Because of the banking up where I live (UP).

Bottom line my point is that steam purchases should allow players to use their profile on the standalone client too.  I see no reason that we shouldn't be able to do so.

[How to] launch multiple Steam clients

different issue
as far as i understand the OP, he wanted to CREATE multiple accounts via steam and launch them at the same time via steam

you can launch multiple linked accounts via the method in your topic, but you cannot get multiple steam accounts due to steam shop limitations,
and the OP tried to launch two perp accounts that have been bought with two different steam accounts -> which is blocked by the steam launcher.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

This may actually be possible by launching Steam using Sandboxie http://www.sandboxie.com/

Isolating the steam clients from each other this way may work, but it's not something I've tested with Steam.

If you Use a Third party program that's not owned by Steam OR AC you might get banned.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

I'd suggest you put in a ticket if you're unsure.