Topic: Please close this section

So theres the same posts from 3 years ago and Dev Zoom has confirmed that balance is a low priority, aka nothing will get balanced, so why does this exist exactly???

Re: Please close this section

Chill Daz, new players are a priority we need the population.

We can play armchair balancers when theres 1-2k concurrent.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

No need for armchair balancing, we can just have new random hybrid bots that don't need balancing cos they can just randomly generate stats for each one roll

please dont pretend you have been participating in last 2 years

k thx bye

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

5 (edited by Dazamin 2014-04-27 03:32:45)

Rage Blackout wrote:

please dont pretend you have been participating in last 2 years

k thx bye

Erm... ok, I haven't and I won't but thanks for the comment I guess...

Here's the weird thing, I haven't really played for 2 years, yet most of the balancing issues are still the same.

Syndic wrote:

To not be completely negative, new players are a priority, and I know work has been done on the NPE and the mission system, good stuff (I assume, I haven't tried them), hopefully gamma revamp will address some of the serious problems with that system (although I dunno how much that will be for the newbies).

But, "yeah we're working on paint jobs for bots but not any balancing since we see that as low priority "(for two years + so far) and "hey we had these cool bots we wanted to add but couldn't because we couldn't figure out a way to balance them, well GOOD NEWS!! problem solved, we just won't bother balancing them at all, randomly generated pink bots are teh future!!!!!" are pretty depressing things to hear for me at least (I'm sure plenty feel differently).

Balancing would be a good way to generate additional $ from EP downgrades. wink

Dazamin: you're seeing this too much black&white I think. Obviously hybrid robots will need some balancing too, like not letting people put together heavy mech legs with light robot chassis, but the random system would let us not worry about nerfing each and every possible combination on its own.

And low priority for balancing doesn't mean that we won't change stuff if there are any glaring imbalances, what I meant is that we currently wouldn't want to make any in-depth balancing changes since that usually generates a butterfly effect, possibly making things worse than before. Balancing is a delicate issue and any change needs to be checked from different angles, but I'm sure you know that.

IMO, while I do think there are some things that are definitely not balanced properly, ewar included. I think the degrees of imbalance we are talking about are very small... Nothing that would damage someones ability to enjoy the game. And as such, not a terribly high priority.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

* Except Armored teleport beacons.

LOL, except the poor armored  teleport.... RIP.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

The game is more balanced now then it ever was.

All 3 colors are equally viable, followbot spamming was negated, beacon blueballing was negated, there's no more glaring stupidities like troiar mk2 tackler (a small part exists in the castel mk2, but nowhere near as ridiculous as the old troiar).

And more importantly people are having fun in PVP, there's more and more fights going on the market is growing great...

No reason why not to focus on more quality-of-life improvements for the new players (and vets maybe too, corp production comes to mind!).

CIR Complaint Form

13 (edited by Dazamin 2014-04-27 16:53:27)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Dazamin: you're seeing this too much black&white I think. Obviously hybrid robots will need some balancing too, like not letting people put together heavy mech legs with light robot chassis, but the random system would let us not worry about nerfing each and every possible combination on its own.

And low priority for balancing doesn't mean that we won't change stuff if there are any glaring imbalances, what I meant is that we currently wouldn't want to make any in-depth balancing changes since that usually generates a butterfly effect, possibly making things worse than before. Balancing is a delicate issue and any change needs to be checked from different angles, but I'm sure you know that.

I appreciate you taking the time to reply, but as you said yourself, the random system would give you some useless combinations and some really powerful ones, I struggle to see how that will be balanced in any way.

I think you will struggle to find an online game, particularly a pvp game in 'early access' that doesn't regularly balance things, its part of the normal process. Even minor issues can grow to be fairly annoying after a period of years without being addressed. This wasn't always the case, things used to be balanced fairly regularly a couple of years back.

I'm sure the butterfly effect would be less noticeable if you didn't take the sledgehammer to an issue (see: armored tps and followbots tbh), but yes sometimes the change wouldn't be great, but that's how balancing works right? its an ongoing process.

I dunno for some people its not a big issue, for other it is. People left the game over various issues but a lot of those issues still exist, gamma is being redone and thats a big deal, but it not the only thing in game.

Daz look at it from another perspective,

After 4 years we've finally got their thickheaded skulls to accept they're not the smartest thing in this game and start testing stuff on the test server & taking player feedback in a public form, not via skype. Stuff is being publically tested, publically discussed, and the attitude of "we definitely know better then you" is gone.

Look at the Gamma testing, that's our community's biggest win and perp's biggest gain.

It's more important that we continue emphasizing how important player testing & feedback is, backed up by facts of how many times they didn't listen and screwed something up - not out of malicious intent, but as a reminder of when things started going better for this game.

If we work to create this culture of dev-player interaction working towards a common goal of a good game, then singular balancing questions will automatically be solved on the test server far more competently then what they would come up with on their own by theorycrafting while doing hookers & blow. lol

CIR Complaint Form

TBH, one of the major balance points Was/Is spark teleportation.  Image now, If "we" had 10 sparks and 6 beta islands.  You know how OP it would be?  I mean its already OP that we can cover 6 Beta island when we feel like it. Image 6 Betas + 4 alphas, ouchie..

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

16 (edited by Kaldenines 2014-05-02 23:36:30)

DEV Zoom wrote:

It's nice to see you reply to this topic.

I can't help but think that the glaring imbalances would be easier to avoid, in the first place, if equations like X^(number of tunnings) or Y^(extension level) were not used.

Also it would be nice to hear from the devs what pvp is intended to look like in this game.
How much should be down to chance or EP or skill or numbers?
How active should support roles such as remote repair be?
Should fast tackle also be tanky?
Should retreat ever be a practical option after a fight starts?
Should ewar form the bulk of an effective force?
Should ewar have a counter other than more ewar?
Should certain bots require a hard counter (bring A or automatically lose to B)?
What role should relatively new accounts have in pvp?
How much space should one faction hold with ease?
How safe should pve activities in pvp zones be?
How expensive (in man hours) should a top of the line pvp bot be?
Should roaming be a viable option for finding fights?
Are sap defenders expected to sit there for the whole hour?

These questions don't really have a right or wrong answer but it's difficult to even discuss balance when we don't know what the goals are.

I am not asking for a specific answer to each of those here and now but some idea of the way things should be would be great.

And like other have said, please try to balance with small changes first sad
Have you ever looked at the patch notes for blizzard's multiplayer games or eve?

+1
-Confucius

Kaldenines wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

It's nice to see you reply to this topic.

I can't help but think that the glaring imbalances would be easier to avoid, in the first place, if equations like X^(number of tunnings) or Y^(extension level) were not used.

Also it would be nice to hear from the devs what pvp is intended to look like in this game.
How much should be down to chance or EP or skill or numbers?
How active should support roles such as remote repair be?
Should fast tackle also be tanky?
Should retreat ever be a practical option after a fight starts?
Should ewar form the bulk of an effective force?
Should ewar have a counter other than more ewar?
Should certain bots require a hard counter (bring A or automatically lose to B)?
What role should relatively new accounts have in pvp?
How much space should one faction hold with ease?
How safe should pve activities in pvp zones be?
How expensive (in man hours) should a top of the line pvp bot be?
Should roaming be a viable option for finding fights?
Are sap defenders expected to sit there for the whole hour?

These questions don't really have a right or wrong answer but it's difficult to even discuss balance when we don't know what the goals are.

I am not asking for a specific answer to each of those here and now but some idea of the way things should be would be great.

And like other have said, please try to balance with small changes first sad
Have you ever looked at the patch notes for blizzard's multiplayer games or eve?

Balancing is 'Low Priority' hence this thread, so I wouldn't expect many answers, I'm not sure that some of them have been considered in any detail recently, which is a shame.

@ Syndic, I take your point, although Gamma was on the test server previously, and well... Test Server is a good thing and can definitely help find glaring problems, but ultimately the devs come with some features and we try and break them, see whats op etc. My big issue is that in the realm of bot balancing there are no features to test, bots are what they are and are not really gonna get changed. There's plenty of issues around bot balance that deserve looking at, but that's not happening, and probably won't in the foreseeable future.