1 (edited by Celebro 2014-03-22 00:39:22)

Topic: Virtual island as F2P on steam

Since we are losing the trial experience, might be a good idea to give out the virtual island as separate client for players to try out the game.

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Virtual island as F2P on steam

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

It's really not meant for that. It would need a lot more content to work as a demo.

Terrible.

Fred.  You died a few days ago.  Stay dead.

Fred  Phelps wrote:

Terrible.

well pay to play games usually dont have free trials because that is one of your basic income

Should have a free start.

people are going to look the other way for 30$

That is not the point of F2P model.  The point is to get people in and then hook them with fun and stuff.  Then, they pay for a few things here and there.

I don't think 30 bucks is too much if someone enjoys the game but to be able to make that judgement, one needs to have a chance to try the game out for free. Not sure if the devs will keep trials around but I personally never shell out any cash upfront for an MMO without first running a trial. Doubt I'm the only one, those games without trials are missing out.

Yeah that is more what I meant.

Burial wrote:

I don't think 30 bucks is too much if someone enjoys the game but to be able to make that judgement, one needs to have a chance to try the game out for free. Not sure if the devs will keep trials around but I personally never shell out any cash upfront for an MMO without first running a trial. Doubt I'm the only one, those games without trials are missing out.

Gunner wrote:

Burial wrote:

On the other hand, there's a bunch of videos available on Youtube of people trying/playing the game.

I think a demo / Trial / test drive of some kind is a must have for any game ... even if its only limited to something like 3 days ... the game should still have some free test for perspective players.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Doek wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Burial wrote:

On the other hand, there's a bunch of videos available on Youtube of people trying/playing the game.

If I would have only seen videos and not the chance to play Perpetuum before I paid for it I would never have started in the first place. Same for eve.

Sandbox game fights (not to mention production and storages) look very very boring to me, while I enjoy them a LOT when I play in person. I personally would never pay 30$ up front for an MMO without having a trial anymore.

I just don't get why the trial was removed unless the debs are worried that more people will try the trial and not like it than will buy the game and not like it.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Asking people for 30$ for a game they're not sure if they're even gonna enjoy is just idiotic. The trial wasn't the problem, it was the utter lack of advertising and shoddy mismanagement that creates the problems.

Example:

Certain Players: "Hey dudes this terraforming stuff is like, so bad, theres gonna be walls around teleports and sh*t"
Certain Hungarians: "No not really, we're smarter then you"

----
2 weeks later
----

Certain Hungarians: "We're moving the no-build zone to 2k because turrets around teleports that close isn't how we wanted it to be"
Certain Players: "No *** sherlock told you so"

----
2 years later
----

Certain Hungarians: "We're resetting Gamma and we're going to redesign the terraforming mechanic because its too exploitable and we didn't think there would be walls around teleports"
Certain Players: "Aha. Tell me more please about this amazing spiritual journey you've been on."

lol

Nah but funny facts aside, if theres any way to give players a way to try out the game before they buy, LET THEM. Hell, go out with a 25% discount just to get the first 2-3k people so there's enough elbows bumping to create content. Oh and give them the option to pay 3 subs then go F2P or just lump-sum 30$ and be F2P from the get-go. Options, options. Shovel in everyone, the grandads and the beastmodes with their lunchbox money.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Need free experience for new players somehow!

(Expect your strategy exactly was that, not allow too much people at once.)

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

I suspect that now the game is delivered via steam that Perpetuum will follow Steams promotions so expect £5.99 weekends etc, which will fullfil the same thing as a trial period etc.

72 Hours free experience

Must have

go go go

Gunner wrote:

72 Hours free experience

Must have

go go go

probably the best idea ^^

Hey, just make a small area with nice vids and stuff, and implement it like a single-player lil game. Some small interesting storyline, ability to try a thing or two, and I forgot what I was going to say but think you've understood my point.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

I predicted the removal of subs but I never expected $30 for an early access game. It still good value for those that know what to expect and like the game, but how could the ones that have not tried yet know?

RIP PERPETUUM