126 (edited by Burial 2014-01-20 13:38:54)

Re: Gamma Balancing

@Ville: Some do, some don't. Anyway, if you tank for EM turrets, they aren't too bad either. I think it's still sensible to buff turrets and increase their occupied area a lot.

From attackers perspective, it's about the same. 20 turrets x 500 damage is the same as 5 turrets x 2000 damage.

From builders perspective, it's less setup and work to get base defended. Less initial costs, easier entry and hopefully more sides trying it out.

And now for the most important part:
From server perspective, it's less lag since the needed structures to power it all is decreases tremendously.

No its not the same.  One person lags out a little too much past cover gets vaporized causing chain explosions in the group.  Turrets should be cheap to build(they are) and should not be used for extreme passive defense.  Turrets should die regularly and not be the end all be all.  As it stands you can basically place a terminal on top of the mineral field put two turrets up.  Energy transfer them once they are built and GG.  Safe mining.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Burial wrote:

@Ville: Some do, some don't. Anyway, if you tank for EM turrets, they aren't too bad either. I think it's still sensible to buff turrets and increase their occupied area a lot.

Sorry but I fail to see what a 30 second video of double plated, double repping erp mesmer, fully rep tuned proves about gamma turrets. It looks like it would not have lasted much longer outside cover.

Kinda stupid argument for a buff but if you get off on Benny Hill, more power to you.

129 (edited by Burial 2014-01-20 14:58:09)

Ville wrote:

No its not the same.  One person lags out a little too much past cover gets vaporized causing chain explosions in the group.  Turrets should be cheap to build(they are) and should not be used for extreme passive defense.  Turrets should die regularly and not be the end all be all.  As it stands you can basically place a terminal on top of the mineral field put two turrets up.  Energy transfer them once they are built and GG.  Safe mining.

I agree here about the lag point(that's why I said "about the same"), but turrets could be buffed in other ways than damage too. The main motivation behind increased occupied area is to reduce the amount of turret spam that can be set up in small sections. Turrets need powergrid backing it which generates even more graphical and network lag. CPU and Reactor on terminals helps too of course but detecting around an area with a cluster of turrets and other structures will still be painfully laggy without increased occupied area or something else to force the base to spread out a little more than now.

Another unrelated suggestion that pops to my head if the developers go for the terraforming slope that lets assaults and lights walk past is to increase turrets hit dispersion so they have hard time shooting lights and assaults. That way the ganks and roams in lights is still possible on Gamma and turrets won't be instapopping those poor things but when the sh*t hits the fans, the turrets still help.

@Rage Rex: Please go and read again what I suggested. It's not a buff to the effectiveness of defenses.

Cheap paper turrets are good as long as there is no artillery implemented.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Make turrets reinforceable along with the structure limits. This will at least give gamma base owners some measure of safety knowing their base wont be ringed overnight. It will be needed to give people the confidence to build back on gamma I think.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

No to turret reinforcement.  There needs to be consequences to gamma.

133 (edited by Burial 2014-01-20 15:48:30)

Shadowmine, that's a good suggestion. With the limited CPU and Reactor we will not see everyone throw turrets up en masse when danger appears and the provided 3 days buffer is very helpful.

I am just saying that Gamma will remain empty if your base can be killed overnight. Having your base killed in 3 days time is a fairly big consequence. You can do other things, like make the enemy unable to place turrets within 2000km of enemy terminal or something. But I don't like that as much as just reinforcing turrets.

I just think it is bad for gamma to be able to effectively lose your base in an 8 hour time period. Even a Beta station takes days to take over.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

You don't lose your base.  You just have to fight to regain control in some aspects.  TBH, this will change nothing.  All people are going to do is go next to a teleport drop X number of terminals->spam turrets -> yay turtle island!  Even with 3k radius.

If you limit the amount of terminals per island to a reasonable number, the island will never be said turtle. And I propose that if turrets shoot 1500km, that 3000km is not a larger enough distance between terminals.

The problem with that Ville, is that a small corp will have zero chance to build a gamma base as it can be taken over the first night they are there, by a bigger force. It would be nice to give the smaller corp a chance to build a ninja base with the knowledge that at the very least they have a couple days to try and get their *** off before the bigger corp knocks their base down. Or rings it with turrets and terraforming, to be more specific.

Buildings auto terraform, sure. But Minor imperfections only. Returning to the way it was and using turrets to pull down walls, no.

This thread sparked a huge and protacted and vocal discussion in our TS last night about the future of Gamma.

Zoom, while I was very surprised at the candor of your response here, clearly you choose to let the Gamma Change cat out of the bag. I think Jita asked this directly, and with good reason, but at what point will you index what is currently on the field?

It doesn't matter the fine details of any change, but if there is some sort of legacy or reimbursement, you have to index it at some point. If you say today, well fine. If you say 2 weeks, the various sides will look at what they have, and what they can break of others, and plan accordingly. Although I and my side will continue our course at this time, I would hate to waste 2 weeks or 2 months, doing something thats a waste of time. I'm sure the other side feels the same.

When the mission change and the Epri change were announced, the time between announcement and implication allowed for those in the correct position a huge advantage. And I think it was 3 months for the Epri change and longer for missions. I mined, a lot.

It takes nothing for you to index the server. Are you going to do this? And when? If you say today ... although its probably the fairest, our enemies will say "you guys have all the stuff!" If you say a month, this will give enough time for those who want to remove others assets from the game the opportunity to do so, and will cause players to dramatically shift focus from current activites. It takes 15 days to successfully seige a Hi Tech Terminal. This requires more than 15 days, simply in the planning and execution. our enemies have a plan, and they are in the middle of it. We have plans too.

What should we do?

138 (edited by Martha Stuart 2014-01-20 17:35:03)

I know I am late to the party on this one. I would just like to ask Dev Zoom 1 question.

Ideally speaking.  What do you and the other Devs envision gamma to be?  Is it supposed to be a player created Alpha+  like it is now?  Do you want it to be small mobile mining outposts used to mine colix/norg? In a perfect world what do you want us to be doing with gamma?

Evac

Cassius wrote:

Buildings auto terraform, sure. But Minor imperfections only. Returning to the way it was and using turrets to pull down walls, no.

This thread sparked a huge and protacted and vocal discussion in our TS last night about the future of Gamma.

Zoom, while I was very surprised at the candor of your response here, clearly you choose to let the Gamma Change cat out of the bag. I think Jita asked this directly, and with good reason, but at what point will you index what is currently on the field?

It doesn't matter the fine details of any change, but if there is some sort of legacy or reimbursement, you have to index it at some point. If you say today, well fine. If you say 2 weeks, the various sides will look at what they have, and what they can break of others, and plan accordingly. Although I and my side will continue our course at this time, I would hate to waste 2 weeks or 2 months, doing something thats a waste of time. I'm sure the other side feels the same.

When the mission change and the Epri change were announced, the time between announcement and implication allowed for those in the correct position a huge advantage. And I think it was 3 months for the Epri change and longer for missions. I mined, a lot.

It takes nothing for you to index the server. Are you going to do this? And when? If you say today ... although its probably the fairest, our enemies will say "you guys have all the stuff!" If you say a month, this will give enough time for those who want to remove others assets from the game the opportunity to do so, and will cause players to dramatically shift focus from current activites. It takes 15 days to successfully seige a Hi Tech Terminal. This requires more than 15 days, simply in the planning and execution. our enemies have a plan, and they are in the middle of it. We have plans too.

What should we do?

140 (edited by Rage Rex 2014-01-20 17:38:15)

I think Zoom already mentioned his logs go back only one year, so it does not matter if he 'indexes' today or next week. Anyone who invested in Gamma over a year ago and lost assets to Dev changes gets Zero.

I think the only real question is how much of current Gamma value will be saved? And if Zoom even thinks of Dev exporting all that stuff to Alpha  ...what a crock. There are likely 1000s or scarab loads of stuff to move. I wish to block that transfer to Alpha in game.

I hope Zoom does not bypass my in-game efforts with yet more meta

Gunner wrote:

Evac

Do you mean run away?

Rage Rex, assets lost thru gameplay .. umm why would you reimburse those?
If so I have 15 Mesmer Mk2, and counting, losses via gameplay I'd be happy to take back.

142 (edited by Gunner 2014-01-20 18:16:36)

Evacuate. Retreat. Decon. Tear down.

Abandon
Depart
Desert
Discharge
Displace
Expel
Leave
Move out
Pull out
Withdraw
Decamp
Eject
Hightail
Quit
Relinquish
Bail out

Cassius wrote:
Gunner wrote:

Evac

Do you mean run away?

Rage Rex, assets lost thru gameplay .. umm why would you reimburse those?
If so I have 15 Mesmer Mk2, and counting, losses via gameplay I'd be happy to take back.

This does ruin the surprise too, neutral

Anonymous player asked me to post this for him

http://i.imgur.com/xXv1A5L.gif

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Anonymous player asked me to post this for him

http://i.imgur.com/xXv1A5L.gif

lololololololol

146 (edited by Aaron Sool 2014-01-20 20:44:16)

Rage Rex wrote:

I think Zoom already mentioned his logs go back only one year, so it does not matter if he 'indexes' today or next week. Anyone who invested in Gamma over a year ago and lost assets to Dev changes gets Zero.

I think the only real question is how much of current Gamma value will be saved? And if Zoom even thinks of Dev exporting all that stuff to Alpha  ...what a crock. There are likely 1000s or scarab loads of stuff to move. I wish to block that transfer to Alpha in game.

I hope Zoom does not bypass my in-game efforts with yet more meta

Well if they want every1 to move all their stuff ingame for a change they are making they sure as hell better give these peeps more then a few weeks to do so. Most peeps have lives outside the game and can't move all that jazz within a few weeks. So either DEVs move em for them to make their timeframe, or they extend this change to a few months down the road...

I think Merkle is on the right track.

With a looming time deadline of Steam release, the most effective thing to do at this point is:

* Reset Gamma
* Remove beacon TF
* Devs Create (3) flat 'base' areas on each gamma island with 2 'natural' impassable sides per base.
     Note: 3 is better than 2, it may not mean that 3 sides will settle there, but it leaves it as a possiblity.

- Details follow

Unless they found some money to pay for more devs so they can work both on Gamma and Steam at the same time, I reckon Steam will be postponed indefinitely until Gamma is reset and all the obvious and not-so-obvious exploits are discovered and patched.

But honestly why even bother settling on Gamma, the rules of the game change so often any base design is pointless in the long run. AC changed Gamma mechanics more in 2 years then CCP changed Sov mechanics in 10 years.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Cassius wrote:

What should we do?

Valid question, yes. Although we have made a database backup today, there is no way that we could do a reimbursement based on this. It's enough to move your assets to alpha/beta now after the snapshot, and you would get them duped with the gamma reimbursement based on the snapshot.

The only way to reimburse is to do it at the time of the reset. The thing to consider here indeed as you suggest, is that people would be playing gammas with different goals in their minds between now and then, since now there would be a proclaimed end to it all. Not sure that this is a bad thing, but certainly different.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Cassius wrote:

What should we do?

Valid question, yes. Although we have made a database backup today, there is no way that we could do a reimbursement based on this. It's enough to move your assets to alpha/beta now after the snapshot, and you would get them duped with the gamma reimbursement based on the snapshot.

The only way to reimburse is to do it at the time of the reset. The thing to consider here indeed as you suggest, is that people would be playing gammas with different goals in their minds between now and then, since now there would be a proclaimed end to it all. Not sure that this is a bad thing, but certainly different.

Thank you for the reply.