51 (edited by Burial 2013-12-17 23:25:06)

Re: Terraforming fix around gamma teleports

Gamma. fuuu

Root of all evil.

(Funny how actually most of the "bugs" and problems are because of terraforming. Gammas would be better off without terraforming.)

Burial wrote:

Gamma. fuuu

Root of all evil.

(Funny how actually most of the "bugs" and problems are because of terraforming. Gammas would be better off without terraforming.)

Since the initial response to walls I can still remember thinking about what a *** terraforming would be if walls were so bad.

Yeah, terraforming seriously needs a massive nerf. And the more Gamma grows with it, the more impossibly painful the purg would be.

Sparking to other games

Burial wrote:

Gamma. fuuu

Root of all evil.

I acualy agree whit you on this one!

Walls shulda been the thing whit gamma not terraforming because some ppl in beta sugjested it.
There is no good way to relly balance terraforming is broken to hell and back.

Ppl dont even have to fight turrets as it stands now just terraform a way around effectivly making turrets in to trees

Perceptor wrote:

Does anyone know of a gamma base that fell by anything other than stupid mechanics and bullshit tactics?

Its about time we give up on this failed gamma experiment and start again.

Most logical thing in this whole thread

FFS please keep your IMBA posts in the proper forum

55 (edited by Burial 2013-12-18 00:33:57)

Without terraforming, terrain and island types actually become a lot more important than now. But it would also be possible to build very hard to penetrate bases: Think of turreted wall with double reps and double armor boosters on them. Huge amount of DPS and work to break without being able to use any kinds of terraforming.

But It's a nice dream.

Ville wrote:

You have NO ideas what is waiting for you, do you? 

Amirite Norrdec?  smile

"Tick-tock, it's june, oh-no-my-gamma-got-rolled"?

You know where we are and have been uninterrupted since the beginning of Gammas. o/

Rex Amelius wrote:
Cassius wrote:

I was about to say what agreement would allow you guys to continue while a bug was in place, but Zoom just clarified.

Lets see patch on Saturday, something breaks. Fixed today.
In the meantime it was helpful for STC allies.

Its not the end of the game, I don't see asking for more advantages as a big deal, tbh.

Pssst, Rex, you're just trolling.

I agree with you guys somewhat about not needing a rollback on Xiantor, and you still have to ***.
A sad day indeed.

Burial wrote:

Without terraforming, terrain and island types actually become a lot more important than now. But it would also be possible to build very hard to penetrate bases: Think of turreted wall with double reps and double armor boosters on them. Huge amount of DPS and work to break without being able to use any kinds of terraforming.

But It's a nice dream.

Ville wrote:

You have NO ideas what is waiting for you, do you? 

Amirite Norrdec?  smile

"Tick-tock, it's june, oh-no-my-gamma-got-rolled"?

You know where we are and have been uninterrupted since the beginning of Gammas. o/

QQ much?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

You know, one thing I think we can all agree on. The forums are much more fun with some of the leet trolls back around. I can only stand Beast's weak trolling attempts for so long...... big_smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Shadowmine wrote:

You know, one thing I think we can all agree on. The forums are much more fun with some of the leet trolls back around. I can only stand Beast's weak trolling attempts for so long...... big_smile

*sniff* aw you hurt my efeelings sad

Ain't nobody got time for hating on the guy who gave you your only PvP the last 5 months

Reading this signature fills you with determination.

Roll the game back to pre-Gamma, take this half-bugged half-broken piece of *** back to the workshop and come back when you got a functional product. The population is small enough to sustainably survive on the 12 Alpha/Beta islands.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Roll the game back to pre-Gamma, take this half-bugged half-broken piece of *** back to the workshop and come back when you got a functional product. The population is small enough to sustainably survive on the 12 Alpha/Beta islands.

Oh leave it already. I'm sure everyone would love to abandon 1.5 years worth of fixes and new features just because gamma is broken.

Xiantor was unbreachable by the mechanics of the game when it was constructed, it took you changing the game mechanics to lose the base. Leave it? That's what a lot of base-owners would say to you after every "fix" that invalidates weeks of terraforming and layouts.

Today it's HUN's base, tomorrow it's someone else who gets the other end of the stick.

I'm pretty sure everyone would love the functioning product they're paying for. Gamma is neither functional nor a product, it's an ugly plague on this game. Keep the fixes, take the rest back to the workshop and come back when it works. In the current state the only thing it does is create more and more ill-gained assets.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Keep the fixes, take the rest back to the workshop and come back when it works.

Actually that would be great if it would be possible. Unfortunately software development doesn't work like that.

Actually, Gamma has been great for me if it means anything. smile

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

Gamma is a huge mess right now. The only fix I can see that has a chance of improving things in an easy way is the removal of all non beacon Terra forming. Single tile Terra forming is *** overpowered.

Gamma living requires 24 hour protection.

One of the issues with Gamma is people are using terraforming as functional Walls, instead of using Walls.

Figure out why TF is better than Walls, and then rebalance.

The problem is single take Terra forming - it will get you in any base with enough time regardless of defences. Remove them and your back to beacon only which would require you to have to combat defences instead of putting a wall around them.

People need to be able to attack Gammas.  Right now they can, just too fast.  If your not base capped on an island you could literally got to sleep and wake up to turrets surrounding your base.

Not using TF to make barriers would make single tile TF less usefull in getting around them.

People will use TF to create barriers as long as it's the best method to do so.

Ville wrote:

People need to be able to attack Gammas.  Right now they can, just too fast.  If your not base capped on an island you could literally got to sleep and wake up to turrets surrounding your base.

You cannot live with afk defenses on Gamma. All base defenses do (and should do) is provide enough time for the base owner to actually put bots on the island to defend.  Good defenses should allow at least 4-6 hours of warning before a base is breached. That should be enough time to respond. And if you can't you deserve the consequences of what happens after a breach.

I would prefer to see people unable to wall off teleports, but able to build fortified bases that are difficult but not impossible to breach. How thats achieved, who knows. Limits on structures on islands, or connections to terminals, or limits to terraforming, whatever combination works.

Not sure what you mean by 4-6 hours of warning, but I agree with the rest of that.

If you mean defenses should be able to withstand an assualt for 4-6 hours unmanned before breaching, that seems excessive.

73 (edited by Burial 2013-12-19 05:27:04)

Arga wrote:

One of the issues with Gamma is people are using terraforming as functional Walls, instead of using Walls.

I agree with you here, but I also think the Gamma is still a work in process and a lot of nessecary items are missing(highways, gates, proper gamma walls etc.) Another issue is when people use terraforming as walls and then figure out it doesn't really work like a proper wall should work due to some weird calculations in LOS calculations.

But it's something you have to learn if you wish to survive with current mechanics.

Ville wrote:

Best protection for Gamma is maxed out terminal number on island. While it doesn't sound most eloquent mechanic, it does provide best protection which is quite sad.

Basically those guys who can't go and put up all the terminals right away(most of the people) are at disadvantage. I propose to add a mechanic that would disallow anyone to just come and build a terminal on claimed islands. It could take the form of a structure that needs to be first shot to reinforced and then 3 days later killed or something else. Just give people who are not able to build all the terminals up right away some sort of buffer-time against anyone coming in at night and dropping a terminal and a bunch of turrets.

Burial wrote:
Arga wrote:

Walls are plants and degrade, they can still be hopped over very easily, they can still be shot through like terrain (at least in some situations have been capable of doing) but most importantly walls are really cheap, TF'ing is not and its takes a solid economy to do it correctly.  This is a way of balancing the end game from the noob game, imo.  But more - I would prefer the ability in a "sandbox" to manufacture EVERYTHING !!!!

I agree with you here, but I also think the Gamma is still a work in process and a lot of nessecary items are missing(highways, gates, proper gamma walls etc.) Another issue is when people use terraforming as walls and then figure out it doesn't really work like a proper wall should work due to some weird calculations in LOS calculations.

But it's something you have to learn if you wish to survive with current mechanics.

Ville wrote:

People need to be able to attack Gammas.  Right now they can, just too fast.  If your not base capped on an island you could literally go to sleep and wake up to turrets surrounding your base.

Best protection for Gamma is maxed out terminal number on island. While it doesn't sound most eloquent mechanic, it does provide best protection which is quite sad.

Basically those guys who can't go and put up all the terminals right away(most of the people) are at disadvantage. I propose to add a mechanic that would disallow anyone to just come and build a terminal on claimed islands. It could take the form of a structure that needs to be first shot to reinforced and then 3 days later killed or something else. Just give people who are not able to build all the terminals up right away some sort of buffer-time against anyone coming in at night and dropping a terminal and a bunch of turrets.

That last suggestion, imo, is fail.  Beta is where intrusions happen.  THAT is the buffer zone, if there ever should be one.  Gamma is end game content.  The design here is that you either ally up with a solid group OR you have enough members to be continually active.

Some people play checkers, some play chess...  Once in a while you can find a guy playing GO.  The former is prey, the secondary is a teacher, and the latter is a general.

75 (edited by Burial 2013-12-19 19:40:44)

Right now the buffer zone is 12 terminals not betas and anyone not able to put in the work to get them up right away will be at disadvantage. All I suggest is to give equally good tool to those who just start with 1 terminal as the big boys have with ability to fill islands up fast.

Many have said(including your master Ville) that the mechanic that overnight your gamma base could be overwhelmed by enemy turrets is broken. Sure, you can say that you need to be strong enough to have any chance on Gamma and it's partly true, but Gamma is also a lot of extra content for the players. Terraforming, as broken as is, is very fun feature and designing and building the actual base too. You can see bases small and big accross the gamma islands built solely by handful of people just to try it out(Jita and brosefs for example) so that should be an indicator that people want to try it and like it.

Basically all I'm saying is that Gammas should not be considered end-game content in the current state. They lack way too many features for that. Gamma content should not be only for the big boys either. Make it more accessible, people like basebuilding.