Topic: Terraforming fix around gamma teleports

Just a quick heads-up: the no-terraform areas around gamma teleports that accidentally got in with the Saturday patch will be removed some time today.

People have suggested various things how we should remedy the gameplay problems caused by this, but to be honest I don't really see a way that does NOT favor any corp or make things even worse than they are.

Re: Terraforming fix around gamma teleports

So will we be able to TF around TP or we will not?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

You will be able, just like before. This wasn't an intended change.

4 (edited by Burial 2013-12-17 16:06:19)

Only side that got advantage from that problem were the attackers. If you don't do anything you are favoring them allready.

I've suggested it earlier already to roll the island back 48h.

Burial wrote:

I've suggested it earlier already to roll the island back 48h.

Even if it were that easy (it's not), which island? Only Xiantor? The same thing happened to other islands, no consequence there?

edit: To make it clear, I suppose you mean to roll back everything that happened on that island, but that's not how Perpetuum works. An island is not a separate universe where we can simply flip a switch and make it so that all terraforming, all lost robots, all items and everything go back to how they were 2 days ago. It's not hard to see that there would be duping/lost items and all kinds of data desync if we don't look at the system as a whole. A rollback can be only all or nothing.

6 (edited by Burial 2013-12-17 16:11:55)

I think Xiantor was only island that got adversely affected by it(up to the point that people care).

Basically I won't go into details here(but can in PM) but this bug has caused huge tactical loss for our side.

What we can easily do though without any rollbacks is to reimburse all robots lost on that island for the past 2 days. But honestly I don't know whether that does anything or is just a drop in the ocean, you tell me. (And I rather do this here and not in private.)

To allow anyone to gain an advantage by knowingly exploiting a bug is not right. But to tell yourself that not doing anything is fair is total BS. This is exactly what the people who exploited this bug figured you would do. Its exactly why they stayed up all night abusing this mechanic as much as possible until you got around to fixing it.

It may be a little more difficult to do whats right here, but I think its important to make a statement somehow against exploiting bugs. Whats the difference between duping items because of a known bug, and taking over and deconning structures because of a known bug? Both are ill gotten gains and shouldn't be allowed.

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

9 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-17 16:58:43)

nobody "knew" anything about anything

we were here no matter what

we had to deal with the "bug" as it was over a week ago

Gamma bases dont defend themselves, people do.

Now,once again, STC gets devs to change gamma mechanics at an opportune time

shocking

derp

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

What is this, the third time?

Let's be clear - what actually was the bug and why did this have any impact on Xiantor or anywhere else?

11 (edited by Rage Blackout 2013-12-17 17:11:16)

Why didnt you stay up all night?  Not important enough?

You want everything easy.

Shadowmine wrote:

To allow anyone to gain an advantage by knowingly exploiting a bug is not right. But to tell yourself that not doing anything is fair is total BS. This is exactly what the people who exploited this bug figured you would do. Its exactly why they stayed up all night abusing this mechanic as much as possible until you got around to fixing it.

It may be a little more difficult to do whats right here, but I think its important to make a statement somehow against exploiting bugs. Whats the difference between duping items because of a known bug, and taking over and deconning structures because of a known bug? Both are ill gotten gains and shouldn't be allowed.

DEV Zoom - "If you mean the NPC aggro, that's been like that for months already."

Shadowmine wrote:

Whats the difference between duping items because of a known bug, and taking over and deconning structures because of a known bug? Both are ill gotten gains and shouldn't be allowed.

The difference is that in the case of duping items the effect is something that we can clearly track and act on.

But gamma politics - that's a whole different can of worms. We don't track who beats whom or who is with whom, anything we do there to interfere more could be just insult to injury.

Because while you did nothing we were faced with this same bug that prevented us from counter terraforming to hinder movement   fuuu  Trust me, there's two sides to this.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Just fix the bug and lets go on with it.  You still got a few days.  Lets see some great battles to be had!

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

and furthermore, if the person who setup the bases in Xan didnt have his pants on his head, we wouldnt have all of your turrets

learn how to make a base

If this said bug didn't exist a week ago the base u guys are so desperitly trying to get gear into would already be locked down but heaven forbid you guys actually have to work for something for once  we had to deal with this bug so should u it's not our fault last night we put in major time into the game and u didn't b/c u wanted easy mode u had full cover by turrets and could have made a pass into the base but u refuse to put in the time and now ur crying

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkore321/videos

Yeah we didn't because there was terraforming bug that we couldn't even get on the island. fuuu

Bull u were on the island and there were places for u to terraform u just didn't want to spen hours welding down a already terraformed wall so u tried for the easy path but we blocked and u cried in GC and made the excuse

Burial wrote:

Yeah we didn't because there was terraforming bug that we couldn't even get on the island. fuuu

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     

I dont see to much now we can do, just happened, we got bad last night (or any TZ) and good today so 50/50 now I think.

But as Shadow pointed out, this is not should happen. Basically we need contract to both side: Dont do anything after the cange is come about Xiantor. But this never happen so we need take it as is.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Balfizar wrote:

If this said bug didn't exist a week ago the base u guys are so desperitly trying to get gear into would already be locked down but heaven forbid you guys actually have to work for something for once  we had to deal with this bug so should u it's not our fault last night we put in major time into the game and u didn't b/c u wanted easy mode u had full cover by turrets and could have made a pass into the base but u refuse to put in the time and now ur crying

So you are saying you had prior knowledge of this bug? Didn't report it, and used it to your advantage to attack and take over a gamma island? I think we need to be looking at rolling this island back now....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Sure lets do that but let's role back a year when gamma mechanics were changed and missile turrets didn't work and go ahead and give us our small gamma on langrum back thx

Shadowmine wrote:
Balfizar wrote:

So you are saying you had prior knowledge of this bug? Didn't report it, and used it to your advantage to attack and take over a gamma island? I think we need to be looking at rolling this island back now....

Hey don't go crazy now, this bug didn't exist "a week ago", it accidentally got out in the patch on Saturday.

Basically the least you can do is take the stuff out of reinforced around the teleport base and increase bases reinforcement timers by 1 point.

That should be easy fix. We all wont be happy(I know I'm not), but atleast it's something.

Perceptor wrote:

Let's be clear - what actually was the bug and why did this have any impact on Xiantor or anywhere else?

We made a fix for another bug in the Saturday patch:

Fix: Destroyed MPC buildings have left their terraform blocking area on the terrain. The bug has been fixed and the leftovers have been cleaned up.

The clean up part is where something went wrong and all gamma teleports received an anti-terraform area with 2km radius around them. (The same thing that every building receives when built and is removed when they are deconstructed or destroyed.)

The impact was that apparently some terraforming works could not be finished due to this block and hence robots were locked in/out of the place.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The difference is that in the case of duping items the effect is something that we can clearly track and act on.

But gamma politics - that's a whole different can of worms. We don't track who beats whom or who is with whom, anything we do there to interfere more could be just insult to injury.

Your logs show the turrets that were taken over and deconned yesterday. Just Remove those turrets from the game. Then both sides wasted their time yesterday. Roll the reinforce timers back a day on reinforced structures and we are mostly back to zero. I understand not wanting to give back turrets, but don't let people profit from this bug...