Topic: NEXUS modules - fleet battles and PvE

The following is an excerpt from our corp chat during a discussion involving a useful feature:

[20:52:27] <Inspiration> we need a feature for that, accept or decline available bonusses
[20:52:39] <Inspiration> easy to make, wonderful in pvp, usefull in pve
[20:52:49] <oABEo> heh, or maybe a priority setting
[20:53:12] <oABEo> each agent can set the priority nexus that they want
[20:53:40] <Inspiration> would work too, easpecially when it gets saved with his bot, but its a bit less control
[20:53:50] <Zombie Hamster> yup
[20:53:52] <Inspiration> unless you can easily change priorities in the field on the fly
[20:54:08] <Zombie Hamster> yea it shouldn't be OP restricted
[20:54:25] <Zombie Hamster> it would still grant all nexus available
[20:54:48] <Zombie Hamster> so it wouldn't lock any out but if you are sitting in a field of 5 nexus mods then the priority setting would kick in
[20:55:58] <Inspiration> i was thinking about displaying all available, and the ones not affecting you, greyed out
[20:56:20] <Inspiration> just clicking on an active symbol greys it out, allowing another to be clicked into active mode
[20:56:26] <Zombie Hamster> that may be too difficult for the devs to implement
[20:56:42] <Inspiration> the cymbols are already there, they just have to make them clickable
[20:56:43] <Inspiration> smile
[20:57:01] <Zombie Hamster> oh i see what you are saying, in robot status bar
[20:57:08] <Inspiration> yup
[20:57:13] <Zombie Hamster> yea that might work
[20:57:33] <Zombie Hamster> i was first thinking of another terrain window
[20:57:34] <Inspiration> or show only one grey and let that be a pull up menu for all greys availble to get applied
[20:58:38] <Inspiration> in pve i can do without even tho it would be easy, in pvp, where you contranly move into different ranges, its essential if you got more then 3 nexus for different roles in squad
[20:59:23] <Inspiration> a logi doesnt need critical hit , but might need shiled and a combat needs the reverse
[20:59:32] <oABEo> yup

~ just a thought

Some people play checkers, some play chess...  Once in a while you can find a guy playing GO.  The former is prey, the secondary is a teacher, and the latter is a general.

Re: NEXUS modules - fleet battles and PvE

It's something that has been discussed numerous times in these forums, it will be implemented soon™

The Entire Squad system needs to be completely redone, it was just added in for small groupings of players not for hundreds.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Subsquads FTW. Really need them.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

5 (edited by SGT subzero 2013-11-22 19:16:33)

Line wrote:

Subsquads FTW. Really need them.

Assuming you lean to the idea of having fixed nexus per squad (like EVE), and maximize the bonuses by means of squad/wing/fleet structure (with one nexus at each hierarchy level), that would not do it at all. That is a horrible barely functioning static mechanic and I still can't believe they haven't axed it off in EVE.

Now back to Perpetuum and the suggested idea:

There is overlap in nexus effect need/want between entirely different roles making division in sub-squads not that useful for this purpose. Furthermore individual bot need can change in the middle of battle/tactics, as we switch from offensive to defensive moves/bonuses for example. Then there is the case of any serious group, wanting to add some redundancy to the most important nexuses so that loosing one guy to the enemy doesn't break down the available bonus on the field.

These cases are why simply toggling a bonus on/off as the potential recipient of an available bonus is always a desirable feature. It minimizes micromanagement in the squad and maximizes player flexibility without removing player skill from the equation. Trying to fold any of this in a fleet structure and you get nightmares and/or very static bonus that quickly break down with pilot loss.

Eve has a Fleet Booster, that you can chose who you want it to be.

Then the redundancy is you have your boosters in your fleet (top guy), then you have your Wing command, another booster potential, and then your squad, yet another. 

Yes all of these, at least of my knowledge of the game, do not stack.  However, if you lose your booster, the secondary's will come into effect.  These are based on skills, and then if they have command mods on or not.

Forgive me, but how is that a bad system?  I would love if they would just say, that's a great system, and just move it over to here.

Also, bonus ARE to break down in the even that "booster" dies, that is the point of keeping your booster back and alive and well.  Also the point to seek him out and kill him if you can.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

7 (edited by SGT subzero 2013-11-30 17:39:14)

The point i am making is that re-organizing the fleet structure (which affects more then just the bonus) is the bad part of the system. Those two things, bonus and fleet structure ought to be independent IMO.

Bonus needs to be independent of the fleet they are boosted?

Huh?

You might need to reiterate your idea, as this doesn't make sense.

The Gifter

Scarab Kill Count - 13

9 (edited by SGT subzero 2013-12-05 22:31:20)

Not independent of fleet, but independent of fleet structure is what i wrote.

For in EVE to apply your bonus to all wings you need to be in the top of the fleet hierarchy. Which also means you have control over who sits lower in the hierarchy and also can warp the whole fleet. Same goes for wing one step lower, this is a very static/limited and hard to manage structure that a lot of the time simply makes it impossible to apply available bonus and overloads one or two persons with major micromanagement and responsibilities while the rest sits idle waiting for things to be sorted out. BAD BAD BAD!

See, you may have a guy with good bonus and would like that applied to all of the fleet, but then you HAVE to make him fleet commander, there is no way around that. That is why i state that it is silly to connect the responsibility of warping and organizing fleets to the application of a bonus.

You might be a very well trained pilot but if your not the best fleet commander out there and/or top-dog in your alliance, then you simply never get to use those trained skills. That and the hassle of these things being connected is why i say its a horrible design!

Let individuals decide which of the available bonuses they need and accept just those. This is much simpler, more accurate and less hassle and thus a better game design. If you want micromanagement beyond your own controlled ship/bot to be impotent, look for single player turn based strategy games instead.

Does this mean I oppose the idea of a structured fleet or gang? Not at all, independent of bonus application its a great idea!