1 (edited by Inspiration 2013-08-30 15:51:12)

Topic: Categorize damaged dropped loot in three categories

This is one of my very old idea's that never got any DEV feedback here and just became actual again due to automatic stacking of items in field containers (finally).

The goal is to not have a million separate damaged items but a few stacks neatly categorized. Instead of a few thousand items to keep track off, organize/sort and display, the number will be more like 50-70 in practice.

Do away with things like 88% damaged and 89% damaged for loot, reduce the variation to say three per module. This will not affect average mineral content from recycled loot if done right. You get:

DL-10 (damage level low, sum of these should equal current summed drop of health levels 90-90%)
DL-40 (damage level medium, sum of these should equal current summed drop of health levels 40-89%)
DL-90 (damage level high, sum of these should equal current summed drop of health levels 10-49%)

On the extreme (below 10% health) you can decide to drop them altogether or include those in the DL-90)

Having this system in place, doesn't alter game balance, but will improve performance, and the sanity of players.

Re: Categorize damaged dropped loot in three categories

The original (?) one and a half year old idea is worded here (with some player comments for all to read):

http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … lth-level/

From what I heard, damaged items do not stack with the current system, even if they otherwise would be exactly the same.

4 (edited by Inspiration 2013-08-30 15:38:16)

It depends a bit on how its implemented. The absolute worst case scenario is that for every existing 100% health module, new inoperable/non-marketable modules with lower base mineral content are introduced to represent the damage levels.

The repair operation then needs to map each new module to the proper 100% health version by means of a mapping table or formula.

I suggested this, but can't recall the issue to implement. If it's just about performance they already optimized field containers performance a short while ago afaik.

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Inspiration 2013-08-30 15:51:58)

As you most likely are aware, its not just field container performance (which happens in memory). It is also the individual storage of damaged modules in stations, which end up in the database in likely a not too efficient format.

Then there is the user experience factor and the likely extra client and/or network load.

Burial wrote:

From what I heard, damaged items do not stack with the current system, even if they otherwise would be exactly the same.

They do. Its rare but they do. I got three damaged T4 ECMs out of starred beacon the other day that were stacked - I'd seen two before but never three.

@Zoom:  could we get a module like a head slot item that can sync with a terminal.  Allowing you to repair items in the field paying the repair cost % of the station synced along with paying dues to that station but does it remotely, on that island or even other islands? 

When I farm I take three bots.  One a combat, a buff bot and a hauler.  We could finally use the repair bonus on the scarab tongue .  It would be nice to keep the transport there longer by remotely repairing in the field.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Please do this. Several Scarab Mk2 worth of loot is making my computer and the server cry.

+1

+1

Would be a good idea ... especially the suggestion to get rid of heavily damaged mods easier.

ps: since i'm corrupt i've been paid to support this idea

It's all about packed/unpacked state. To fix that:

1. Make unpaked bots unstackable only
2. Make everything else stackable

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086