Topic: Plasma Bomb Bypassing Reinforcement Timers of Structures.

Is this a bug or should I be able to spam 10 plasma bombs in a sequer and kill a facility?

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Re: Plasma Bomb Bypassing Reinforcement Timers of Structures.

Hmm, interesting.

Have you actually managed to destroy a structure that way? We did a lot of Science™ on this one and whilst we succeeded in getting the HP down to well below 50% by taking the structure down to just over 50% before unleashing the bombs we couldn't actually destroy one. It seemed that the structure only took the HP damage from one of the bombs before the reinforcement kicked in and that wasn't enough to finish off any structure. We even tried with max explosion damage heavies.

If you've managed it then I'd definitely say its bug/exploit. No matter how hard that last hit is the HP should only drop to 50%, not below.

It doesn't work, reinforcement check is done after each explosion. If structure HP is below 50% then it won't take any additional explosion damage.

Like Ludlow said, if you managed to do it then devs should have a look in their code.

maybe, just maybe, you dont know as much about the structure system as you think.

and maybe, just maybe your defense design has still a lot room for improvements and that was the reason it was broken so easily.

even by a small group barely more then a hand full of players.
no bombs were used, no bug abused (building turrets half inside walls).
we came, got in, and shot. nothing more, nothing less.

why we could destroy some of your buildings? well you better ask your base designer about that.

Thanks Zortarg for confirming that.

Swing and a miss....

Those of you lucky enough to have your lives, take them with you. However, leave the mods you've lost. They belong to me now.

Scarab Kill Count:2

7 (edited by Burial 2013-06-16 20:09:54)

I tested it again with 10 plasma bombs and a sequer, next to Standard Facility. It didn't do any damage(or so small that it isnt noticable on the health bar).

I killed a grouping of energy transmitters and a battery.

If that's true, then the devs need to go over the logs and see how your test setup was different then mine.

Burial, If I understand this, Ville used plasma bombs to destroy structures that were in reinforcement. You are trying to damage a terminal that is not in reinforcement. Also, could be that the bombs were broken when the Devs adjusted the killboard data so their effects are now properly shown, but thats a guess.

I blew up buildings not in reinforcement.  I'm not swinging epeen Cassius .

Yea these kind of posts generally come up every time you guys lose a base.

I would really hate to be the guy who connected all your base with command relays.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

13 (edited by Homer J Simpson 2013-06-17 05:30:50)

Your a funny man Merkle! If that is actually the real you posting tongue

Just to confirm that there is indeed a bug, however it only affects a very low number of buildings with low enough HP (basically I know of only one).

15 (edited by Tux 2013-07-07 01:16:41)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Just to confirm that there is indeed a bug, however it only affects a very low number of buildings with low enough HP (basically I know of only one).

so this is effectively not a bug because you can shoot any structure over and over each time it goes in to reinforce.

example:
standard energy transmitter. i shoot it to 50% and it will go in to reinforce.
If i wait for the reinforcement phase to pass (ie not kill it when it flags) i can shoot it again and it will go from 50% to 49%, 48% or even less depending on how much i hit it for .... so in a Mesmer MK2 with full DPS fit i can hit it for 400 which is 2% of the structures total HP.

i can do this over and over each time putting it into reinforce but each time it will have less and less HP

Its not a bug with plasma bombs its a issue with the server i would say because the reinforcement phase doesnt activate until a structure is "SHOT" at and takes damage from a gun or bomb

because in order for the structure to go in to reinforcement it must take damage.

this is only exacerbated by the high amount of damage a plasma bomb does

This one has been around for as long as structure reinforcement has been .... simply making plasma bombs not do damage to structures will not fix it.

this will im sure effect all buildings given enough time.

Q: If a structure has to take damage to activate the reinforce timer then how will this ever be fixed?

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

a few things to add
plasma bombs do not work on terminals...

you could code all structures to only take .00000001 % damage when the reinforce is activated but even then you could in theory still kill the structure given enough time.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

^^ This is how it should be done.

I digress however.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Tux wrote:

example:
standard energy transmitter. i shoot it to 50% and it will go in to reinforce.
If i wait for the reinforcement phase to pass (ie not kill it when it flags) i can shoot it again and it will go from 50% to 49%, 48% or even less depending on how much i hit it for .... so in a Mesmer MK2 with full DPS fit i can hit it for 400 which is 2% of the structures total HP.

i can do this over and over each time putting it into reinforce but each time it will have less and less HP

Well, you can do this as long as there are reinforce phases left, and this example also requires that the owner doesn't repair the building at all.

What we consider a bug is that you can destroy a building with a bomb at the very first attempt, without it going into reinforce. And plasma bombs are currently the only items that have a high enough burst damage to make this possible.

Tux wrote:

Q: If a structure has to take damage to activate the reinforce timer then how will this ever be fixed?

Our current plan is to basically separate buildings from the global damage model and put them in their own model, which can check damage before it happens, and stop it at the needed point.