1 (edited by Neijek 2010-12-06 13:42:55)

Topic: Ability to place waypoints via map for easy direction to destination

Simply put getting around get be pretty hard.

It would be a very big bonus to be able to place your own waypoints/landmarks via the map screen.

An idea to make this work would be:

Open map, by right/or double left click on any point in the map we would be able to setup as many personal way points (which can be re-named individually) as we wanted.

When we "enable" a waypoint (maybe it can work like the "area geoscan" where there is a check mark to make it active) the waypoint/landmark would come to the top of your landmark list (much like the assignment waypoints work) for easy direction/traveling.

Also it would help if they can be seen at any distance (like the assignment waypoints work).

Re: Ability to place waypoints via map for easy direction to destination

*edited post to make it cleaner to read and fix my 2am spelling mistakes tongue

If something like this were implemented you would need to see passable terrain including current vegetation. Dynamic vegetation growth has been the devs reasoning behind the lack of autopilot. I imagine updating the map with current vegetation and then updating every time someone harvests something would put quite a burden on the server. Maybe a shortcut key to place autopilot waypoints so you can at least set them while you walk a path. That would at least make it easier if you have to run that path again.

I'd rather see your idea implemented as you stated it, but I think the devs said there are limitations at the moment.

Amlodhi wrote:

If something like this were implemented you would need to see passable terrain including current vegetation. Dynamic vegetation growth has been the devs reasoning behind the lack of autopilot. I imagine updating the map with current vegetation and then updating every time someone harvests something would put quite a burden on the server. Maybe a shortcut key to place autopilot waypoints so you can at least set them while you walk a path. That would at least make it easier if you have to run that path again.

I'd rather see your idea implemented as you stated it, but I think the devs said there are limitations at the moment.

Ya, but in reality it could be as "ugly" and simplistic as just keep the map as is, with the zoom and display as is on it, just make it so when i right click (or i guess left click as right click is for navigating it) it pops up a menu with "place waypoint here" once done it works just like the assignment waypoints do. (having it listed under waypoint section so you can mark it: on/off and rename and voila).

Even if maybe making the waypoint in a place u can't fully reach due to the map being not soo accurate it not a problem, since we are just using it as a rough way to navigate more easily. I gather it's implementation in this state would cause no extra weight or insignificant weight to the servers.

I agree at least with renameable waypoints and possibly sortable/toggleable.  This is third thread on this request which seems like easy implementation...(?)

I'm sorry, but I am against this because it would make it easier for people to create bot programs. 

The only version I would like to see is an ability for a squad leader to mark a point on a map and broadcast that location to the entire squad to assist FC's.