Topic: Is the game still growing?

Without trying to sound like a doom and gloom person…  is it worth continuing to subscribe to this game?  It appears that the server population is down.

The last blog by the devs was written on 12/29/2012 and most of the forums as of this writing have no contribution in over a day.  I know, there was a patch on 02/12/13, but are the devs planning on keeping the game running and adding new content?

Re: Is the game still growing?

Yes, we're still working on what has been announced in that blog.

Posts like this make me think you guys (DEV Zoom) need to do more blog posts. wink

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Its almost like your marketing effort isn't present on the home front too... tongue

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Compared to around a month ago there are more players on general chat on average. so game is growing back slowly. What we have to look forward is steam release and PVE changes, which should attract more players.

RIP PERPETUUM

Wrong account Zoom.

CIR Complaint Form

How about this one.

Bolsak wrote:

The last blog by the devs was written on 12/29/2012 and most of the forums as of this writing have no contribution in over a day.  I know, there was a patch on 02/12/13, but are the devs planning on keeping the game running and adding new content?

Make sure to click the "Active topics" link instead of "New Posts".

Arga wrote:

How about this one.

I always suspected, until that fateful evening after the turret nerf when your last shreds of fanboyism were torn to shreds and pure disgusted revulsion took over. lol

You should pop into TS more often brosef. wink

CIR Complaint Form

Bolsak wrote:

Without trying to sound like a doom and gloom person…

WAT

Doom Beamer wrote:
Bolsak wrote:

WAT

Something considered indicative of feelings of pessimism and despair; Feeling, or acting in a manner consistent with, pessimism and dispair.

Bolsak wrote:
Doom Beamer wrote:
Bolsak wrote:

WAT

Something considered indicative of feelings of pessimism and despair; Feeling, or acting in a manner consistent with, pessimism and dispair.

That's not too uncommon around these forums, game has been dying for 2 years now.

RIP PERPETUUM

It only took me like, 18 months, to cool off.

The Gamma islands looks like more active than before, so I need to say I am actually optimistic about more people to come.

Come to Rhaosan and check the neutral Gamma terminal if you dont have any idea what you can do.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

took a break from actually playing the game, 3 month.

now back, it feels even slower then before.
The PVE part of the game has not changed significantly since release, at least not into a positive direction.

Orange spawns, while some may still think that they are good, have nothing changed except making the game even more boring, especially for new player.

the changes proposed in the blog take several month developement for minimal impact.

• Research Revamp
    necessary, but the way its written into the blog, i don't see much improvement for the game experience in total.
    It will stay a grind feature, where the single goal is to unlock T4 items that you can only build with access to masses of Epri and Nora

• Random Mission Generator
    necessary, but when i consider the other statement about why instances are necessary - i have a bad feeling about its implementation.

• Instances
    except for the tutorial instance, which isn't really that necessary either - i dont see a need for them at all in a propper sandbox enviroment. And the random mission generator should make it even less necessary.
    Instanced and dynamic content in a non-instanced world should be the way to go.

the new player experience, that you choose "blue robot with em guns" to start with, but notice a week later that missiles fit you better, but there is no "blue missile bot" - and the result of the action of the uneducated noobs will make them leave in bitterness in more cases then necessary - unadressed. And the best tutorial instance wont change that!

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

Stuff

This is a good post, and sums up a lot of my impressions on coming back.

17 (edited by Gremrod 2013-02-20 21:47:09)

Annihilator wrote:
  • Instances
    except for the tutorial instance, which isn't really that necessary either - i dont see a need for them at all in a propper sandbox enviroment. And the random mission generator should make it even less necessary.
    Instanced and dynamic content in a non-instanced world should be the way to go.

The devs are using the instances as a tool to accomplish things they can't with open world. This is the way instances should be used. They are tools for devs, not tools for players.

Annihilator wrote:

the new player experience, that you choose "blue robot with em guns" to start with, but notice a week later that missiles fit you better, but there is no "blue missile bot" - and the result of the action of the uneducated noobs will make them leave in bitterness in more cases then necessary - unadressed. And the best tutorial instance wont change that!

I have to agree that this is something that is an issue and remains. But how would you fix this one. It happens in a lot of games.

Make the trial-period the part where you can delete & recreate character for 0 EP loss, problem solved.

CIR Complaint Form

Look, all races and weapon types are viable , they work, none is OP. So what difference does it make?

RIP PERPETUUM

20 (edited by Dazamin 2013-02-20 22:33:39)

Celebro wrote:

Look, all races and weapon types are viable , they work, none is OP. So what difference does it make?

Thats not really the point. Its a question of playstyle and preference

Gremrod wrote:

The devs are using the instances as a tool to accomplish things they can't with open world. This is the way instances should be used. They are tools for devs, not tools for players.

I'm not convinced of the need for instancing, its an open world game, and yes you can't do some things you can do in a typical instanced MMO, but thats kind of the point, an open world sandbox game is NOT an instanced MMO. Instanced PvP is an absolutely terrible idea and the fact it is even brought up worries me tbh.

Syndic wrote:

Make the trial-period the part where you can delete & recreate character for 0 EP loss, problem solved.

actually, thats doesn't solve it. Thats the most convinient and least DEV work Bandaid-fix solution that is similar to the new character creation screen - scratching on the surface.

a better, but still not the ideal way, would be making each agent you crate on the same account having its own EP counter. That way, new player could play all three factions without the need for multiple accounts to not slowing down their time based progression.
-> i know, the flipside of the coin here is that it would play into the hand of all the metagaming, griefing, spying and whatever player if they not make all three agents having an "easy-to-see" connection with each other. For that i would move the title "agent" to accountlevel, and the three slots are "Sparks" of the same agent.

another better way, would be playing much longer for the Syndicate, pushing the faction/weapon choice out into the actual game progression. This would mean more syndicate robots, radical rebalancing between robot classes necessary, and well, scraping the whole character creation process again.
This version already fails at the "Syndicate Robot" part...

About instances:
As far as i understand the Server structure atm, each island is an Instance of the Serverside client of the game running as Task on Host servers, with the item database, the chat and the loginserver centralised (thats why you open up a second server connection when you deploy).
I really hope that the work on Instances also involves an improvement of this rather inefficient system, that needs them to patch and restart ALL islands if they want to hotfix an error on a single island, or they would desynch.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

having (3) full EP characters per account would cause an imbalance in the force... PVP players being able to build (3) super fits for the price of one. Also, players running a miner/plants/indy/all on the same account, or more imba yet, having 3 or 4 accounts with High EP agents each. And as an added bonus, having those accounts in different stations gets around the Spark without hardware issue.

its less imba as having them all on seperate account.
It also works fine in other games... this one here is special, for some reason.

25 (edited by Gremrod 2013-02-20 23:40:22)

Dazamin wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

I'm not convinced of the need for instancing, its an open world game, and yes you can't do some things you can do in a typical instanced MMO, but thats kind of the point, an open world sandbox game is NOT an instanced MMO. Instanced PvP is an absolutely terrible idea and the fact it is even brought up worries me tbh.

This really all depends around what type of instance we are talking about here. Even eve has instances to a certain point. Like missions if I recall correctly. They are open for the people that take the mission and also for those that scan them down yarr . But they are dungeon instances in an open world.

I don't care if the tutorial instances are closed off and only for that agent. But I would never want to see missions done in a closed instance. i.e beta missions if they are done in an instance then there should be a way for others to get in there too. This way we keep the open world and let the devs have a tool to handle things in a better and easier way for them to manage.