Re: The failings of a free market

Merkle wrote:
Gremrod wrote:

Wow it made it to 16 posts before name calling and putting people down. I wonder why the DEVs don't want to hear from the community.

smile

Its usually far sooner.

More people will sort this out.  Its getting there is the hard part.

Do remember that the people who decided to stay and mine and play the game, have a lot, I mean a lot of stuffz.

Those people might supply the markets at the correct timing.

I agree increase in pop will help. But I still think the commodities need a base price set by the npcs so this can trickle through the rest of the market.

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Martha Stuart wrote:

I can make over a billion NIC in less than a day running beacons.

Is this plasma only?

28 (edited by Mongolia Jones 2013-02-15 18:48:42)

Gremrod wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

Is this plasma only?

Of course what Martha Stewart forgot to mention is the time it requires to accumulate all those beacons.

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

There were a lot of issues with running PIE as a capitalist corp, but the biggest hurdle was:

Lack of Corporation tools - Most corps default to communist because all of the accounting you need to do for capitalist corps has to be done offline. The most basic tool, access to corporate funds, is all-or-nothing. At min. being able to place a cap on the NIC size of order buys/sells is required; and the basic concept of being able to let memebers draw 'up to X NIX' per day, or pushing out weekly 'salary'. In addition to accounting tools, there needs to be tools to set up an 'army'. Corp based research is a good start, as was the internal market, but there also needs to be an ERP framework, even if it's only the ability to make ingame notes.

It's important for the economy (Market) for the game to support capitalist corps because the game experience is better when you are in corporation. The problem is that when your player base gets mostly installed into communist corps, there's very little reason for them to use the market, so it's just freelancers and the odd capitalist guy using the open market. Oh, and new players that havn't joined a communist corp yet.

There is nothing wrong with the communist corp model, it just shouldn't be the only model because there are no tools to do anything else.

Note: Internal markets are not the problem. Its idiotic to think that items corps are putting on internal markets would ever be offered to the public. The internal market (for communist corps) is simply a way to allow players to access items without giving them security access to entire hangers.

Arga:

"it just shouldn't be the only model because there are no tools to do anything else."

This thing are here a long time ago, I wouldnt like to manage out a non communistic corp, what make the same efficiency that communistic. Far far better the communistic modell in Perp, we should have some ingame tool to use other modells.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

31 (edited by Gremrod 2013-02-15 19:43:30)

Arga wrote:

Note: Internal markets are not the problem.

I can agree that internal markets are NOT the problem alone.

Arga wrote:

Its idiotic to think that items corps are putting on internal markets would ever be offered to the public.

That is only if you assume a corp that uses an internal market never sells the same (type) items on the open market.

Arga wrote:

The internal market (for communist corps) is simply a way to allow players to access items without giving them security access to entire hangers.

Good point as long as they are low priced and not too low that someone can just grab them all.

Edit: Also the main point was more around base price of items. And I was also hoping for this to raise other issues too. Like the lack of volume between raw and refined materials etc. Really less focus on internal markets and should have been left out of my beginning topic.

Mongolia Jones wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

Is this plasma only?

Of course what Martha Stewart forgot to mention is the time it requires to accumulate all those beacons.

Well, my main reason for asking is I wanted to find out if selling items on the market is included in that billion nic.

Plasma is a silly concept at mimicking bounties from EVE. It discourages active ratting near spawns, because there's no way of making enough plasma for your average capitalist pigdog to replace his bot. Whoever ganks him gets all the plasma.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Sell it in alpha station....your choice to run it to beta.

2nd Top Killer 2012
02: 061 -- 353 -- 292 : Xadhoom

"Annihilator no fix for crashes when fighting burial/merkle/xadhoom ?"

35 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-02-15 20:24:53)

Mongolia Jones wrote:
Gremrod wrote:
Martha Stuart wrote:

Is this plasma only?

ok so add 4 hours to that to get the tokens to buy beacons, I know for a fact that the <12> and 62nd guys are making tokens as fast as I am so you know exactly what im talking about.

And yes 1 billion NIC in a day is just plasma.  I recycle everything I don't need for production and am hording the kernals until after the patch.

but total time to make 1 billion nic is still less than a day.

Taken from the original post:

Gremrod wrote:

The T1 standard Lightweight Frame (LWF).

NPC Sell Price: 138K+
Player Sell Price: Ranges from 22k+ to 44k+

If we use the LWF base commodity requirements and then use the market commodity prices a LWF is worth 28k+.

So why are the npc sell orders for this basic item 5x+ more than what they are really worth?

I think you have to take into consideration the *possibility* of future raw material sell/buy price fluctuations. 

There could come a day where all materials are 3x, 4x, or more the price they are today, in which case the 138k NPC price wouldn't be so different (and possible LOWER) than the future build cost.

In my view what is going is not that the NPC seed price is too high, but rather that the raw material prices are TOO LOW.  This is due to a high supply/low demand issue, not necessarily because of low population, but rather, because of the number of high EP, highly teched, multi-account miners able strip mine on a massive scale.  (i.e. 5% of the population can mine/harvest all the materials ever needed for 95% of the population)

"...we will take undefended gammas and stations."  -Cassius of STC

37 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-15 20:25:42)

I agree with Arga, internal market is not a problem  , its a corporation tool that can be used for the benefit of both models. Having internal buy orders at convenient locations will help capitalist corps too. The reason to place sell/buy orders on the public market is because you get a better deal that's all.

I learned a lot from PIE's failure as a capitalist model, basically trying to run a corp as a small business in not particularly fun after a while with lack of corp tools. Better to run a capitalist corp as independent players helping each other defending corp resources and sharing corp operation profits. For that to work there needs to be a working market though where you outsource most of your production to other players.

RIP PERPETUUM

I make nine thousand billion a hour. My *** no longer fits in my pants. I have to use pants extenders now.

I would start off by completely disagreeing that you cant do a capitalistic model, as were doing it successfully, and I do believe, please correct me if I'm wrong here, AIC is doing the same. 

Quite frankly I'm seeing a lot of people coming back to the game and for some reason all we want to do is just start changing everything.  There are things wrong but by no means terribly in dire need of repair. 

This isn't a "tool" problem, this isn't a "communistic" problem this isn't a "ratting" problem.  It's a player problem.

We drive the eco if this game, so why can't we drive it?

This is the question that were all trying to answer, why are the players of the game unwilling to use the current market system.

Answer, because the players of the game don't need to, we have "stuff" everywhere, were not "new" players, we have been around the block a long time, a side from the cortex market, and token market we really don't need to touch anything as we already have it.

What does this do to IF newer player's come into the game?  Well its a major turn off as we all know, but again this is a player problem, we don't need to start seeding T1-T4 mods just because.

As one player not being able to "make" nic, this is a complete farce.  This game is incredibly EASY to make nic in, so much so we have OTHER players complain that one side has too much of it. 

In sort Nic isn't the problem, or how easy it is to obtain it. 

Start asking the people who have stayed around to enjoy the game, how to make Nic, and become successful, oh the story of how to do, they could tell.

In my opinion the change that needs to happen, is already happening, its what the Dev's are working on right now, that will start to fix the markets, slowly.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

I would start off by completely disagreeing that you cant do a capitalistic model, as were doing it successfully, and I do believe, please correct me if I'm wrong here, AIC is doing the same. 

Quite frankly I'm seeing a lot of people coming back to the game and for some reason all we want to do is just start changing everything.  There are things wrong but by no means terribly in dire need of repair. 

This isn't a "tool" problem, this isn't a "communistic" problem this isn't a "ratting" problem.  It's a player problem.

This is the question that were all trying to answer, why are the players of the game unwilling to use the current market system.

Answer, because the players of the game don't need to, we have "stuff" everywhere, were not "new" players, we have been around the block a long time, a side from the cortex market, and token market we really don't need to touch anything as we already have it.

What does this do to IF newer player's come into the game?  Well its a major turn off as we all know, but again this is a player problem, we don't need to start seeding T1-T4 mods just because.

As one player not being able to "make" nic, this is a complete farce.  This game is incredibly EASY to make nic in, so much so we have OTHER players complain that one side has too much of it. 

In sort Nic isn't the problem, or how easy it is to obtain it. 

Start asking the people who have stayed around to enjoy the game, how to make Nic, and become successful, oh the story of how to do, they could tell.

In my opinion the change that needs to happen, is already happening, its what the Dev's are working on right now, that will start to fix the markets, slowly.

Can a Brotha get an amen?

41 (edited by Gremrod 2013-02-15 21:07:55)

Merkle wrote:

I was mainly looking at what sets the base price for the npc seeded items. Which made me realize that they are not based on the materials they are made of.

No tool change needed. Only a base value for commodities and also maybe the volume of commdities being different then the raw. But I would settle for just a commodities base price being set by npc buy orders.

All comes down to the hopes for the changes being made by the DEV right now help keep players for the future. I totally understand that and I hope for it too.

Merkle wrote:

you mean banning of exploiters, enforcing the EULA, showing that the game is not cheater paradise?
or do you mean adding new content that doesn't change the fact that one of the first questions in help channel is "how can i move faster?" or "autopilot?"

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

43 (edited by Merkle 2013-02-15 22:08:54)

A bit cynical outlook on this game you seem to have anni. 

I would implore you to take a look at http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/topi … -currency/ it might explain why.

Re-read the Dev Blog and you should understand of what to I'm referring toward.

Base lines are just that, if all else fails you have your base line items.  You, if I understand you here, are referring to the NPC orders for certain items, T1 amps T1 stuff in general ect ect.  These are made to not be cheaper then what you can actually make, or to even be somewhere in line with mineral  costs or production costs  as if they were you would see with what happened to colx charges at the start.  People will buy massive stocks, hold them, refine them ect ect. and make crazy amounts of nic, OR crazy amounts of minerals.  Yes this takes the initial inputs of nic.

If we would introduce a base line of minerals we really would see much of a change as there is already a base line for titan, 0.22 PU, and HDT, 0.20 PU.  As you can see this is effecting markets very little as titan is trading much higher, and HDT is somewhat higher.

Really the only reason I could see this needing to be done is to create a market for minerals, but, even that is completely unnecessary as minerals are already being bought up with intense demand for them.  We are seeing some minerals double in price as people just cant, or are not willing to, mine them.

I think your reasoning behind a base line is to create a base line "price" for items, but with out competition FOR said items they can set whatever price they wish. 

Were right back the people problem, not a market problem.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

Yes we have a people problem. I am not saying the market it the problem. I am saying the market has a problem.

o/

Merkle wrote:

In my definition of a capitalist system, workers are compensated for the time they spend at the company (hopefully being productive). They then take that money and spend it in the system (the market). The 'company' makes money, but each worker also makes money.

A coporation that is communually working together to make NIC is not a strictly a 'capitalist corp', its a communist corp that with a common goal of increasing wealth, instead of holding property. Some of the hallmarks of this type of setup are players that mine but sell to the corp under market price. That's charity, not capitalism.

Ok so even though I have my own producer, and between him and my corp mates I can make virtually any mod or bot, I have still probably spent 500 mill on buying mods on the open market. Why?  Because I lose bots during PvP, or PvP opportunities arise and I don't have equipment nearby but it's on the market ... So I replace what I need right away until my manufacturing is completed.

I'm sure others do the same.

So although its not the only reason .. PvP does drive the market.
Increased PvP will increase market demand.

In the end it's a population problem.  Honestly, no matter what is done to stimulate or spur the current market, the market will always be inefficient until there are more people.

The Paradox for the Devs is that they must make all content geared towards the preferred population threshold, not the current one.

Gremrod wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Yes we have a people problem. I am not saying the market it the problem. I am saying the market has a problem.

o/

Alright let's get this straight, the market has no problems aside from a few tweaks and maybe a fancier UI. All round what directly or indirectly supports the market has a problem.

RIP PERPETUUM

the mechanics of the market system need a little tweaking ... longer sell order durations in the neighborhood of 6 months @ lvl10 would do wonders for the economy.

I for one and i feel that a lot of other producers are in the same boat, have pile after pile of mods and bots to put on the market BUT . . im not going to circle the 3 Alpha II terminals once every thirty days to redo all of my orders. its too much micro management and not worth the time.

If i could in a day go to the terminals I want to sell at and place items there and either put them on the market for 6 months at a time or do remote sell orders then I would fill the market with all types of mods and bots but until that happens i feel no need to spend hours upon hours managing sell orders.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

49 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-16 00:17:32)

Arga wrote:

A coporation that is communually working together to make NIC is not a strictly a 'capitalist corp', its a communist corp that with a common goal of increasing wealth, instead of holding property.

Strictly speaking that's not a capitalist corp you are right, though in a gaming sense it is because you are striving for your players to become better at wealth making for themselves with corp operations, knowledge, fittings, tactics and socializing which helps, the difference is wealth is spread amongst corp members not pooled in the corp coffers.

Arga wrote:

Some of the hallmarks of this type of setup are players that mine but sell to the corp under market price. That's charity, not capitalism.

It's not charity if the corp then sells items internally at lower prices

RIP PERPETUUM

Communism works like a 'loot council' in WOW where a capital model is more like DKP. Pooling cash in the officers is just basic corruption that happens in all models.