1 (edited by Caffeinated 2013-01-17 08:47:57)

Topic: What will you do...

When you get 50,000 players which you would so gladly like to fall into your lap.

How will 50,000 players live on something like 50 islands? Surely that won't work out well regardless of how you slice it. Eve online splits over 2000 solar systems (equivalent to your island) between i'd guess 250,000-500,000 players.

How will you add more islands though? Travel is already enough of a pain as it is. What will travel be like when there are 200 islands? Will 200 islands be enough? What about if you need 2000 islands to support 50,000 players? What kind of a nightmare will travel and logistics be like then?

Have you even thought this far ahead?

Re: What will you do...

When there were three beta islands and no gamma islands there were over a thousand people living on each one. Theres no problem th.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Also now with the dynamic ore system large populations of people can live on a single island.

which i have mixed feelings about

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I am going to explode a lot of bots if 50,000 people are anywhere near this game.

It will be glorious!

Fantastic problem. I will take it

Sparking to other games

6 (edited by Burial 2013-01-17 09:44:21)

Add islands would be the most obvious solution. If there were 200 islands with 50k players, you would rarely have to travel from one end to other end though, your hands would more then likely be already busy with neighbours.

I can imagine huge hub islands being very laggy. smile

Large populations on islands is enjoyable.

Yes, and moving stuff in Eve isn't a pain in the *** at all.....

Same problem different game...and this really isn't a problem either.  Just a perception problem.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Continents and aircraft.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Caffeinated wrote:

Travel is already enough of a pain as it is.

Is it? I hear this a lot and I can't agree. In a light bot I can run and use internal teleports (not mobiles) from Shinjalar main terminal to Shinjalar main terminal via Hershfield main and Tellesis main in about 45 minutes. Using 300k Nics worth of mobile teles I can do it in a scarab in about the same time. I don't think this is unreasonable to cover all the alpha islands in the game. I can cross the entire world from Langruhm to Imidero (without using interzones) in just over half an hour!

Merkle wrote:

Just a perception problem

More I think this is the issue. It is the perception of speed. A lithus or scarab seems to be moving so darned slowly because of the wide viewing angle when zoomed out and the relative size of the island's flora. If the Dev's could find a way of creating the illusion of speed then I'm sure travel would seem less of a PITA. Zooming right in when traveling gives you a much better feeling of actually making progress.

I agree that watching yourself travel is painful but I think the time it takes is about right for the game.

11 (edited by Burial 2013-01-17 14:46:06)

Traveling used to be bad without sparks and cheap teleports. Nowadays I rarely do long treks.

i will gank

bump.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

I would be more worried about lag and server performance. I wish we had an over population problem neutral

RIP PERPETUUM

WTF caffeinated your still in PHM??  I got to log in tonight just to kick you.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

resubscribe

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

resubscribe

Hell I got to do that myself... Lol

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.