Topic: Caution: Serious market bug (2013-01-15)

We just found a rare but serious market bug where items can disappear.

Normally, when there is a buy order on the market and you try to sell something to it, you simply click sell and the system finds the highest priced buy order that you can (/should) sell to. In this case the system limits the maximum quantity you can sell to the quantity of the selected highest buy order. This is the case that can't go wrong.

The bug happens when you try to forcibly create a sell order at the same or a lower price than an existing buy order. In this case, the system instantly sells to the highest buy order, ignoring that you wanted to create a sell order - this is normal behavior. However, if the quantity you wanted to sell is higher than the quantity of the buy order which the system instantly sells to, the surplus items will be lost. (Normally these should be returned to your storage.)

As you can see this is a very special case, so here is an example to better understand it:

• There is a buy order on the market for a Gropho for 10M NIC.

• You want to sell 3 Grophos for 10M NIC a piece, but you don't check the market and miss that there is already 1 buy order for 10M NIC.

• You also miss that the direct market sell window suggests you that 10M Gropho, so you go for the create sell order button.

• The create sell order window is filled with the 3 Grophos you want to sell, you enter 10M as a price, you click ok.

• 1 of the Grophos is sold for 10M NIC (minus fees), the other 2 go poof.

• You make wtf face.

If you think you have been a victim of this bug, please send in a support ticket and we will investigate.

UPDATE: fixed.

Re: Caution: Serious market bug (2013-01-15)

That has got to be the dumbest thing I have ever heard.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Things like these happen a lot in programming, Ville. wink

Thanks for letting us know.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

good looking out Zoom !!

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Nice Gropho sink smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

+1 for

You make wtf face.

Could this have been retro active zoom?

Meaning I had my 3 grophos on the market for 10mill and someone put a buy order up for 1 gropho for 10 mill would it have ate my 2 grophos. I see some serious greifs about to happen.

Anonymous: lobo is the only hero left in this god foresaken game / :also, Lobo is god among men
http://killboard.sequer.nl/?a=agent-his … mp;month=7 Best month 104 to 1 k/d

8 (edited by Alexander 2013-01-16 22:58:15)

Thank you for bringing this to everyone's attention.

So here are the basic questions to get them out of the way:

• Will those effected be refunded for the lost items or is it impossible to track due to the nature of the bug

• Is there an ETA on a fix for this issue?

Good luck solving the issue, tackling bugs like this can be a nightmare!

DEV Zoom wrote:

The fix for this will be deployed on this Thursday evening.

wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Actually we have to push back the fix for Saturday to prepare for some SQL maintenance too.

To be exact, the server downtime for this fix (and a few others) will happen on Saturday (tomorrow), from 12:00 CET, with an estimated downtime of 2 hours.

DEV Zoom wrote:

To be exact, the server downtime for this fix (and a few others) will happen on Saturday (tomorrow), from 12:00 CET, with an estimated downtime of 2 hours.

2 hours!? Are there any other sexy fixes coming with it?

The 2 hours is mainly because we're moving the SQL server to another machine. The fixes are mainly for some exploits that have been discovered since the last patch, and we're also adding server-side logging for some stuff that we forgot till now (like vicinity chat).

moving SQL server - does that mean forums will be affected too?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

moving SQL server - does that mean forums will be affected too?

Yes, but the downtime for that should be shorter.

DEV Zoom wrote:

The 2 hours is mainly because we're moving the SQL server to another machine. The fixes are mainly for some exploits that have been discovered since the last patch, and we're also adding server-side logging for some stuff that we forgot till now (like vicinity chat).

Wait so that meant i could have said any BS in vicinity & "The logs" really would have shown nothing ??!?! sad

This makes me sad sad

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Sooo we had so much crap going on that we didn't risk the SQL move for now, so that will be another time.

We're up again.