Topic: Speed - acceleration/deceleration

Instead of moving forward backward left and right at full speed all the time, what if you implement an acceleration/deceleration stat for each type of robot? and If it's not too difficult also maybe make A and D rotate instead of moving that direction.

This could create some interesting dynamics in combat.

Could use some more thoughts on this.

Re: Speed - acceleration/deceleration

Anni told me it's not possible tongue

RIP PERPETUUM

Kokomut wrote:

Instead of moving forward backward left and right at full speed all the time, what if you implement an acceleration/deceleration stat for each type of robot? and If it's not too difficult also maybe make A and D rotate instead of moving that direction.

This could create some interesting dynamics in combat.

Could use some more thoughts on this.

sure, it would create a better immersion, also a few more balancing aspects, but isn't done for several reasons.
one is the already hard server/client syncronisation for your location and movement. Acceleration is much more math and data that has to be transfered. Adding leg and torso turning rate limits ontop would simply be "writing a complete new game"

i wouldn't say its impossible, but i say its a can of worms that has so many follow-up-must-have mechanics, that a single coder, who has never done something like that before, would take several month/years to implement AND optimize. And ontop - its part of the legacy code that not seems to be very flexible to any changes.

personally, i would love to have acceleration, deceleration, collision detection, turning rate and mass effecting that instead of top-speed...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Btw I would really like this feature, this would actually make robot racing possible, requiring player skill and adding hand brake turns would be awesome. I guess with an army of Devs anything is possible, but time is of the essence atm.

RIP PERPETUUM

This unfortunately would require an entirely new set of physics .... What would happen if you didn't turn properly ... Would your bot tip over? Try on go up a slope, lose balance and roll all the way to the bottom ... Would you substaine damage? Far far too many things to consider by implementing "robotRacing" with real world physics ...

No thanks ...

6 (edited by Merkle 2013-01-03 01:39:38)

I don't know, I really don't want to play MWO.

I kinda just want to play Perpetuum.

Not trying to say its a bad idea at all, please don't take it that way.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13