Topic: Mining Laser Range Increase

Can we get mining Lasers & harvesters balances with other Industrial Modules, 30 meters seems way to short. Why not increase it to:

200M for small modules
400M for medium modules

Currently many plants and rogue mineral fields are a PITA to mine due to TF. And I’m not talking about these resources spawned up against 100,000 m high walls I’m talking about these resources being spawned against a little 30 - 50m high ramp and getting a to far away message.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

Re: Mining Laser Range Increase

I'll second this.

Trying to mine on a terraformed island is a PITA without long range mining lasers.

Even a new mining laser with long range but less 'mineral suck' would be good.

Remember PETA does not endorse this service and or delivery.

+1 (Possibility add a skill too?)

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

small mining lasers & med mining lasers should have different ranges.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

small mining bots should have significant different slope capability...

i see no real problem with mining laser range, more range would make botting easier... fuuu

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

i agree with the range increasement.

especially with the strange range calculations that we have ingame. i remember slopes where you stand next to the tile that you want to mine and it still says "too far away".

also i cant find any way were you could abuse a bigger range on mining lasers. 400m may be a bit much, but i think 200m would be fine for medium miner.

Annihilator wrote:

small mining bots should have significant different slope capability...

i see no real problem with mining laser range, more range would make botting easier... fuuu

The problem is vertical slopes where the terraformed 'wall' is a couple hundred M high.

No way no how you going to get anything up there.. So you need a long range mining laser, or to terraform the wall down, which takes FOREVER, costs alot, and leaves your base vulnerable.

I don't really see any good reason to be on a gamma without terraformed walls, or even for a ninja gamma-er to spend the cash to terraform the wall. The result of all this, unless it's fixed, is that every single mineral spot will eventually be on top of a wall.

The problem that I (and I think many others) have is that the when mining around Terraformed areas sharp slopes can stretch 1 tile anywhere from 5 to 1000 meters or more.

For some reason the calculation for being able to mine that tile is not the same calculation to target it I think if this problem was fixed then it would solve the issue.

When I target a tile and it says its 25 meters from me then I should be able to mine it …. If the tile is really 1000 meters away from me because of the slope stretch then it should properly calculate that and not even allow me to target the tile as my targeting range on a Rivler is less than 500 M.

Extending the mining laser range is just a fix … the real problem is in the engine’s calculations on where these tiles actually are in respect to players. VS where these tiles are and the calculation for mining lasers dstance to be activated on them.

A mine-able tile should = if part of or the whole tile is within 29 meters of the player

noone understands serious cynism anymore sad

1. a bit more range is ok. after all the game is still 2.5D downhill i could mine on the CIR wall much more then 30m... like 60m. uphill its different.

2. 400m or more range for mining laser is really screaming for "macro mining", where you park your agent in the middle of a deposit and then start the macro to mine everything out without ever moving. 3 range extender instead of tunings and you cover a 1km diameter deposit...
The elite pvp agents here writing "macro miner" into my topics for far less obvious things...

3. blame the crazy simple random ore generator for spawning ores where you cannot reach them with anything. *link to other topic*

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

any thoughts DEV's ? is this a big change or could it make it into some future patch with not so much programming?

I have never had a problem with this as in EVE you could get 30km + easy.  That's basically sitting in one spot and just mining all day long no problem.

This would make mining Ore's about 2000% easier for the multi user group.

Not really a bad thing as the markets are bare enough as it is.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13