Topic: Steam + Server stability

I am curious - how "fit" is the server atm?

Is the Red-Bull and caffein-depot at the HQ filled for those days after getting advertised on STEAM ?
Hollidays canceled, coder staff mentally prepared for a sudden all-nighter?

are there any plans for a server stress test before we eventually break the 1K mark?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Steam + Server stability

stress test what there servers are already ***. You kill 1 tele or another person in pvp and lag spikes through the roof. You can green light get on steam but if the cores issues dont get fixed its all still fail and the pop will never come or they will come and say wow wtf how long has this game ben out then they will leave never to return.

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkore321/videos

I got my answer yesterday night.

a rather small battle around a relatively small gamma base: I got killed before i could active a module even once -> because of lag.

i didn't even see my own explosion, just the loging screen.

If any DEV says "we didn't expect players to do that" regarding 500m tall terrain walls, 1000 Turrets with 1000 support structures within a visual range of even the worst detection bot, with each Turret having its own accumulator, independant AI and permanent LoS calculations, probably for two weapons individually.
Now add the bandwidth issues you get when sending 100 player the uncompressed terrain data at the same time, everytime a plant dies...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Come on there's only 300 turrets with 25 reactors and 60 batterys.  Your getting a little far fetched Anni.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

5 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-11-19 16:46:49)

Balfizar wrote:

stress test what there servers are already

Annihilator wrote:

... a rather small battle around a relatively small gamma base...I got killed... because of lag.

Is there a client debug/monitoring tool? If not can one easily be created? A stress test on the Test server would be good. The DEVs should create a massively terraformed base with hundreds of structures and invite a fleet of 100 or more to come attack it. If we all run the debug/monitoring  tool it might help get to the bottom of the inconsistent lag.

I have been involved in a few of these battles around many structures and terraformed terrain now and the one thing I've noticed is that there is no consistent performance between participants. Last night both the clients I was running were perfect, responsive with no more than the usual tens of micro-second lag whilst others right next to me were having big issues. In other battles its been me with the lag issues and others without.

well if pbs is causing too much lag maybe we should limit the max number of structures that cn be connected in one network... tongue

i dont really think its structures per network - seems more like structures on the shard and total on server.

Ludlow - there is no Test server anymore. it was integrated into the network to host a few of the gamma islands. The only Test enviroment they have is the DEV server, which often simply doesnt show the issues.

they dont have to simulate masses of npcs - that works like charm. the issues start when the server has to communicate with clients all over the world.

8 (edited by Acanlord 2012-11-19 20:06:51)

+1

Needs a tick box for polygon pbs structured like with robots

This is how I fear it's going to go down:
1) Perpetuum releases on steam
2) Horde of people join the game
3) Servers flip out and ruins the experience
4) Crushing defeat

This has happened before but replace point 1 with "People get sick of EVE" or "Game is released"

Well, there should be a killswitch, it's always useful smile

the server AND CLIENT has not been so unreliable in a long time. And to make matter worse TFing & PBS gives you terrible lag.

Did i mention the game crashes ?

Oh And for F**** sake im sick of the game crashing when i open the map & or the lag that it made for the client when the map is open.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

13 (edited by Annihilator 2012-11-20 13:08:25)

Yesterday i used "Process Monitor" to spy a bit on the perpetuum.exe and what it does while i am playing.

i always thought that things that i discover ingame are directly written into the gbf-files. eg. plants, terraforming changes and buildings/walls (black dots/lines on map), and that this is the reason for the crashes and such.

The monitoring yesterday showed me something different:
- layers.gbf (the terrain database) is only accessed on loading screens or when you got the worldmap open (not minimized) writing happens when you hit a loading screen.

- live changes from terraforming and exploration are stored in RAM or handled by a process that i didn't see

- as long as i have the world map open, there is a constant Read/Write access to the layers.gbf, even when not moving or zooming anymore.

- didn't pay to much attention to the TCP/IP traffic but sometimes it takes very long to get a terraforming update, especially when your moving from south west to north east.

another thing i noticed is a directX error message during loading screens...

last but not least - the tool showed me which island runs on which server. knowing that you can probably tell which islands are affected when one server is overloaded and you dont want to be fully affected by it.

Tell you what, on the loading screen it does load some other strange things (f.e. equipment including some we didn't even saw yet).