Topic: Buildable Accelerators

I think it would compliment the terraforming system nicely and be an interesting addition to gamma construction. The mechanics would likely have to involve some sort of linking between the different "pillars" to make them evenly spaced like they are in alpha. I'm not sure how they would be powered, if they had to be at all, but they should definitely be destructible to give a sense of disrupting enemy supply lines in times of war. The amount of the speed boost given might even be dependent on the tech level of the structure or the amount of energy supplied.

Re: Buildable Accelerators

To avoid having millions of highways and therefore accelerator towers all over the gamma island, might be an idea to have a quota - maximum number of accelerator towers that can be built on any one island ...

3 (edited by Burial 2012-10-10 09:54:35)

Hardcoded limits suck in sandbox games..
The idea is old thought and suggested many times and iirc the devs have said they support it.

Anyway, it doesn't have to be designed like in alpha and beta islands. Could be just that you can construct two structures and then connect them and everything between them with 3 tiles width becomes highway. With this system, owners of the said highways could potentially deactivate some and activate others. As I said earlier, hardcoded restrictions suck so why not just add a mineral/nic cost to it that it would be just be ineffective to have whole island filled with active highways.

Of course I have no clue how the engine itself is coded and what would be the easiest way to archieve player built highways but that is just one thought.

Well then maybe a limit to the number of accelerators that can be supported by the number of terminals/type per island ....

Its in the works.

Been brought up before, soon my friend soon.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

High energy consuming (at least one node should be connected to a reactor), then no need to hard limit.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

technically, its rather easy to implement.

there are "light",  1-tile size highway emitter buildings already out there. The problem is that the highway effect is not a ranged buff, but a "tile" effect. (totalyl independand from any building)

also that the whole "magnetic acceleration thingy technobable" behind the bulky highway strips doesnt make sense anymore.

but on topic: if it consumes a great deal of power, and is not restricted to owner corp - why not?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear