Topic: Another hardware topic

Eventually, i running perp on this hardware:
core2duo e4500
gtx450
4gb ram
1280*1024

In the alpha and beta islands my PC running normally, not perfect.
But when i playing in gamma islands, among MPC buildings, or fighting there, i have terrible FPS (like 5-10) even on lowest graphic setup.

What can cause this? I suppose the bottleneck is a CPU, but i doubt that 2*2.1 GHZ is not enough for perp.

Also, its minor issue on this PC, eventually i have microfreezes and video driver crashes. Driver version is whql  295 (newest drivers have twice slower performance, i dont know why)

Will appreciate everyone for suggestions.

Re: Another hardware topic

I have a slightly better CPU, gtx550, 8gb ram and similar resolution. No matter of number of clients running, or their settings, there is a strong fps decrease near any TF-ed area (more TF - less FPS) so I'm pretty sure that the problem hides in TF.

Since all the graphic calculations now being handled by GPU, I think that bottleneck is here, probably linked to textures resizing on stretched tiles.

I see that not only i have similar probs. thx.
Can Devs comment this issue?

When I visited a gamma base, I made the error to active signal detector to see all buidlings at once.
This required me to kill perpetuum in task manager as the instance freezed forever (>3 mins), while my other account there was working normal on.
I consider this similar to freeze I experience on beta, when doing signal detector near a lot of npcs or explosion dmg on beta. I guess there is a lot of sync traffic between client and server in that case.

5 (edited by Celebro 2012-09-13 14:42:25)

Live in beta/alpha until further notice.

Have same issues with similar specs to OP.

RIP PERPETUUM

6 (edited by Burial 2012-09-13 15:38:51)

Probably CPU related issue, its pretty weak. You can also download GPU-Z and see if the graphics card memory is full when lagging, thats pretty well known reason for bringing FPS to single digits.

Detector causing freezes because of lots on npc around is a known problem since detectors were implemented. Those roots, however are hiding (IMHO ofc) in a visibility mechanics - if you can't detect a target, it doesn't exist for you. Probably, server doesn't calculate/send target information until in detection range - once they're in, it needs to calculate/send a large amount of data to actualise situation for you. Possible solution may be to calculate/send that info regardless of visibility state - that may decrease overall performance but there will be no peaks and freezes.

Industrial Sector wrote:

Detector causing freezes because of lots on npc around is a known problem since detectors were implemented. Those roots, however are hiding (IMHO ofc) in a visibility mechanics - if you can't detect a target, it doesn't exist for you. Probably, server doesn't calculate/send target information until in detection range - once they're in, it needs to calculate/send a large amount of data to actualise situation for you. Possible solution may be to calculate/send that info regardless of visibility state - that may decrease overall performance but there will be no peaks and freezes.

thats probably a reason for many lag issues.

i understand why target informations are only transmitted when showing up on the radar (hack-proof...) - but building informations should be PERSISTANT... they cant run away or hide behind trees.

There is no reason to handle exactly like robots.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

To those who interested
That was CPU issue. Core 2 duo have older tech than videocard so they had "misunderstanding" between each other.
Modern CPU runs the game pretty good, and i can run multiple clients with high settings.

so you exchanged your CPU and issues solved?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Yeah

12 (edited by Industrial Sector 2012-09-17 09:24:45)

And no FPS drops near TF?

Upd: I've had a funny experience earlier, probably mentioned that already. So, on my PC I'm hardly able to run 4 Perpetuum clients on low settings - works for train hauling but that's all. 3 clients are running fine with medium and above settings tho. Now, (watch my hands!) if I'll run 3 Perpetuum clients on medium and above settings AND run sthing else (was EvE on my example) everything is... works the same as if there was just 3 Perpetuum clients. EvE didn't had any issues aswell.

Also I can't watch video having 3 clients running, should be 1-2 to do so.