Topic: Autopilot Issues - why?

Copy&paste of the IRC convo with garg, who said he is the wrong DEV to ask. So here for the "right" one:

IRC wrote:
  • [BKK]Annihilator
    i got a question regarding the autopilot in perp

• GargajCNS
    mhm?

• [BKK]Annihilator
    why does it break up so often?
    i've read a bit through some wiki posts about how pathfinding works, and from how i understand it, the pathfinding part works pretty fine in perp, but the smallest desync with the server leads to your robots standing still
    often thats just after walking from 1 tile to another...

• GargajCNS
    boyc looked into it some time ago
    not sure what he found

• [BKK]Annihilator
    for me, with my limited knowledge, its a loop where your bots aproaches a chain of waypoints set by the pathfinding algorithm,client side
    the loop should only stop by either manual input from player, or by reaching the last waypoint in list.
    but it seems its also stopped by any synch-operation between server/client

• GargajCNS
    well
    its boyc's code

While i was at it, i also put this in:

• [BKK]Annihilatorthe other two missing aspects of autopilot are lower priority... first it would need to work stable. I will mention them anyway:
    1. tile weighting for the pathfinding process (aka higher priority for highways if present)
    2. perodical refresh of the route, since it cannot "see" plants that are not visible at the moment you give the command

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Autopilot Issues - why?

I also wanted to mention, that pathfinding doesnt work if the destination point you have clicked on is an impassable tile - the autopilot will behave like the simple direct line approach command.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

I wanted to mention that scripted auto mouse clicker programs would be so much easier to do with pathfinder fixed.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

4 (edited by Celebro 2012-09-11 19:33:17)

So should we keep a broken autopilot, just because it's harder to macro? Hell no

RIP PERPETUUM

Ville wrote:

I wanted to mention that scripted auto mouse clicker programs would be so much easier to do with pathfinder fixed.

ask someone who actually has experience in writing bots and advanced macros - do you think they have any problems doing that without working pathfinding?

fear botter - please remove keybind for "lock target" and "alpha strike"

Mr BoyC, this autopilot is still really annoying, works then doesn't , set it too far and it goes wrong way.

RIP PERPETUUM

One part ppl don't seem to mention - the AP automatically stops if it detects enemies .... but since the creation of orange bots it still sees them as enemies and stops when approaching them - which is not needed.

Mentioned this in GC to Dev Garaj and he said he'd make a note of it and it would be looked into ...

actually, NPCs are no issue for me.

other player that can either see me, or i can see them, will cause AP to stop. Pretty well noticeable when youre the only player on the island, AP can bring you through very rough terrain across several km -> except if there are plants on your calculated path that the AP couldn't see before because they have been out of range.

It also fails 100% if you click on an inpassable terrain tile