Re: New patch on 2012-08-22

didn't targets flag on module activation already (like you get pvp flag instantly)?

i mean, for solo pve farming that change makes missiles as anoying as lasers with the forced module deactivation upon primary target lost (aka it got killed). With the slow missiles it was possible to switch targets while the finishing salvo was mid air, and the shutdown would not happen.

brings me back to the topic why that forced module deactivation is ingame at all, it makes no sense for any gameplay situation...

but really, IMHO, missile now fly to fast. the launch GFX doesn't fit anymore.

That aside, i got some questions regarding the transports:

what happens if the package is still in transit, but the deadline is reached?

• will the package be returned to the starting terminal when the agent docks anywhere and the colateral is paid back 100%, (like when mission is canceld by contractor) or

• the packaged item is "dead" and the collateral is paid out automatically, like it was destroyed, or

• something else?

does the container have a different chance to be dropped into the loot-container then regular items?

• in case the transporting agent got shot down by NPC, would he be able to salvage the package and continute the assignment? (aka 100% chance to drop into loot)

• PvP: someone shoots the transporter down and then can ask for a release fee (since noone else could take in the mission, and as soon as the crate is in a terminal, the contractor could cancel it to recieve get it back)

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

what happens if the package is still in transit, but the deadline is reached?

Nothing happens as long as the owner doesn't request the retrieval of the container.

Annihilator wrote:

does the container have a different chance to be dropped into the loot-container then regular items?

The assignment container cannot drop into loot, only its contents, and those will be calculated like normal loot.
In any case, the container will be destroyed and the assignment will fail. (Collateral goes to the contractor.)

Great Patch Dev's, look forward to see future implementations. Despite what others say all I see is continual improvement, Well Done!

Agreed, great patch!

Lonwolf
NSE
"What we do in life, echoes into eternity!" --Gladiator

i already love the spark teleport, even that i havent used it that much yet. this makes so manny things so much more easy. thanks for that.

as for the transport stuff. i dont need that myself atm, but i think thats a good idea and will benefit the game surely.

i have already voiced my only concern to zoom:
atm 2 of the faction commodities of each race have the exact same components. i think that is not good if it is intended. and i hope it is not.

but total a great patch.
keep up the good work.

When can we expect the next patch(new bots, new equipment)?

32 (edited by fantazmythe 2012-08-24 00:09:18)

Critical  SnipeR wrote:

*** new content, we need them to fix client/network stability and the unoptimized state of the client first. that way it will be a better experience for all INCLUDING new players.

P.S i understand that this is an ongoing process but you guys really need to spend more time on fixing these issues.
there should now be enough content for the time being, so please start some hardcore client/network fixing.

fantazmythe wrote:
Critical  SnipeR wrote:

*** new content, we need them to fix client/network stability and the unoptimized state of the client first. that way it will be a better experience for all INCLUDING new players.

P.S i understand that this is an ongoing process but you guys really need to spend more time on fixing these issues.
there should now be enough content for the time being, so please start some hardcore client/network fixing.

Yes there is plenty of content, thats why we have so many players online everyday. roll

Admiral Snackbar wrote:
fantazmythe wrote:
Critical  SnipeR wrote:

Yes there is plenty of content, thats why we have so many players online everyday. roll

id say that mostly has to do with the connection issues and the new player experience

35 (edited by Alexander 2012-08-25 10:02:18)

Are there still connection issues? I logged in for a while, stomped around and explored. I had a solid good ping of around 60ms and a stable 60FPS (V-Synced) with the same settings I've always had.

If you want to start thinking about why new players don't stick around in very high numbers you need to include contact, community and motivation.

The new player experience doesn't shown off any of the larger robots, many of the team based game mechanics aren't covered and for a game that's so 'sandbox' the tutorial is very disjointed. You start to get an idea of how the web of information thrown at you fits together.

It's certainly not bad but throwing a new player into Perpetuum requires a lot of hand holding. Unless you friend tells you to play Perpetuum you are really disadvantaged and likely lack the motivation to keep playing once the bitter-vets get their hooks into you.

P.S. Fix the economy/make it more fun to create things and then you might see people throwing assets at each other for fun rather than digging holes to guard their stashes.

new player experience stats with 5 pages full with text, a useless faction choice and a big pool of EP to spend when you dont even know enough about EP and the consequences.

20k are spent fast, especially if you want to try out all three base weapon systems and the bots. Getting the information that they will be gone for good and deleting the agent wont recover them -> good first impression. Then hearing about the one-account-per mail restriction, shared EP on all agents per account.

it all sums up to a "very good first impression".

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:

new player experience stats with 5 pages full with text, a useless faction choice and a big pool of EP to spend when you dont even know enough about EP and the consequences.

20k are spent fast, especially if you want to try out all three base weapon systems and the bots. Getting the information that they will be gone for good and deleting the agent wont recover them -> good first impression. Then hearing about the one-account-per mail restriction, shared EP on all agents per account.

it all sums up to a "very good first impression".

The information is there. If you insist on cushioning people at this stage, they're just going to keep running into walls.

Ease up on the wailing Annihilator, it's starting to get boring. Stop pointing out what's wrong on a heavily biased and generalized basis, it's not helping anyone.

its also not helping to NOT hear anything from the DEVs....

Its ok, we know the GW2 login server is down.  Errhh I mean, yes its annoying that we dont hear much.

there is ONE thing that keeps me occupied with Perpetuum, and lets me keep hoping:

its the only non-spaceship SciFi MMORPG that is not a knights&wizzards vs. Orcs&monsters in disguise.

so,  GW will be no option for me either

[rant]
I think there are two somewhat separate issues when it come to attracting and retaining players.

1) Leaning curve, i.e. how hard is it to go from being a newbie to a competent (i would say independent but i haven't achieved that yet lol) player.

2) The reason for playing the game once you are a competent player

While (1) is important, it is (2) that is absolutely critical for having a working game. 

For me personally it was the pvp that drew me to the game.  Recently I have been enjoying more carebear type activities but I am not one of those people who is happy to mindlessly shoot spawns for months just to make a few little bars fill up (which is what I would need to do to become independent).  You could argue that I am just whiny and lazy but what motivation is there to grind your arse off in this game?

Imo MMOs are slowly but surely moving towards mechanics that make "griding" actually fun while at the same time not making grinding a prerequisite for advancement.
(Examples: battlegrounds in theme-park mmos, incursions in eve)

[/rant]

+1
-Confucius

Personally, I think there is a lot going on for the veteran players. If anything, the server is locked in old alliances that desperately need some action.

Im working on a arena type deal, which I hope to open up to the general populace, and Im sure you could think of something too. The good about these kind of sandbox stuffs, is that you can make a difference.

QuantaCat wrote:

Personally, I think there is a lot going on for the veteran players. If anything, the server is locked in old alliances that desperately need some action.

This is called the circle of death for perpetuum.  One corp or alliance becomes too strong the server completely allys up  against them and either they are removed or not and get bored and go play another game.  Both scenarios are bad.  Typically when either happen people stop playing.  But the worst side of it is the nice people you meet in other alliances or corps and its hard to turn your back on them.   Best advice keep one it two corps blue and kill the rest.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

your wrong, Ville

one corp/alliance becomes to strong - the rest of the server may ally up and fight against them... but the "evil" block was always applied by the DEVs - either directly (eg. former M2S several times), or indirectly (eg. CIR two times)

Alliances are fragil in perp, since the only two "alliance" features are a rough standing setting, that affects to many aspects at the same time, and "squads"

Annihilator wrote:

but the "evil" block was always applied by the DEVs

...?

god, so much action behind my while typing. that sentence should have been this:

...but the end of the "evil" powerblock was always applied by the DEVs ....

btw, i dont blame you DEVs for it - since it was always a reaction to an extreme bug/game mechanic exploit that you HAD to react to. (beta reset, insurance fraud, duping, nerf, nerf, nerf).

No Anni you once again have no  idea.  The only corp to ever learn from the mistakes of blueing up the server was 62nd.  Making too many friends and one enemy leads to  what we have now 0 pvp.  62nd was part of wambulance  on hokko when CIR got bored and left for a while.  With lack of pvp the smart leadership broke away from the alliance and created a separate faction in order to get back to pvping.  We are currently in the same situation as before.  Too much blue and not enough pew pew.  If you think napping entire powerblocks in order to attack peoples Gamma Base is a good idea, well good luck wasting time and getting blue balled for pvp.

That being said, I look forward to PVP against PHM, and good going with that! big_smile

I have 3 blue corps.  Want to compare?

4, I added BKK..