1 (edited by Hunter 2012-07-07 07:07:06)

Topic: Game design

Greetings!

I decided to write here to summarize recent events for myselves and others.

Main event - Gama frontier. DeV's did really great and difficult work. Of course raw implementation requires some adjustment, but generally it's fine. It would seem the new people should start play, old players renew subscription and so on. But the miracle did not happened...

Q: Why so wonderful game have not good popularity?
To answer this question we should answer on the following:

Q: The game is subscription type. Who can/will pay for it?
A: A man who earns.

Q: How much time he can give the game?
A: He need 8 hours to sleep, 8-10 hours for his work, 4 hours for daily pursuits and family stuff. It's remains 2-3 hours for the game.

Q: This is the MMORPG. The player should play in the team. Who should be his mates in the game?
A: This is should be ppl from his timezone. Their "time for game" should coincide. Else they won't see each other.

Let's take a break and compare with game.
Q: Which zones (islands) is suitable for this people?
A: Alphas more, betas less and gamma - not. The ppl don't want and they will not defend it 24/7.

...So we have a casual players. They - most of all players. They ready to pay the subscription for 2-3 hours. Alphas and Betas suitable for them. It's need to create interesting (not easy) conditions for them.

Now we need back to gamma content. We have 6 alpha islands, 6 betas and 24 terraformable gammas. DeV's spent really a lot of time and money for gamma conent. Of course they interested in colonize of this islands.

Q: How to involve most part of players (include casuals) to gamma?
This is a big question. Here are dilemma:
- The way between islands looks like a travel. But increasing of teleports between islands bad too.
- The people don't want build few days to lose per few hours. But attackers anyway must have ability to destroy it.
- The ppl always will try to close access to their and create safe zones for their treasures. But terraforming intended not for creating the walls. Also each player should be able to have a chance to meet any island, travel etc.
The answer for this question enough simple.
A: Intended things should work very-very well. All another - useless, senseless and uncomfortable for using (but possible). And game design should help to casual players - not to nolifers (like me).

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

Re: Game design

I basically agree with Hunter, we have 24 island where nobody lives (actually 22-23 maybe) after 1 mounth of expasion, so this is a huge problem, this means the community didnt got this expansion just the "holographic" type of it. Because the community cant use the most better things ingame.

The expansion not just abou Gamma and TF but that thins is the biggest in this expansion why the playerbase cant use that?

You can live on Gamma with hard work, and well thinking out the plan, but the people as Hunter said have life so they dont want another job. The game is cool, but I would say need more oportunity for casual gamers  If we would like more people ingame (If not this is good for now, but we played nearly 2 year in this type and was good an fun, who like it but I would like to Perpetuum a succes route not the stagnating.).

Still good job DEV-s and really appreciate what you did.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

I basically agree with Hunter, we have 24 island where nobody lives (actually 22-23 maybe) after 1 mounth of expasion, so this is a huge problem, this means the community didnt got this expansion just the "holographic" type of it. Because the community cant use the most better things ingame.

The expansion not just abou Gamma and TF but that thins is the biggest in this expansion why the playerbase cant use that?

I dont see why this is a problem. Gamma was supposed to be a Big Thing for coporations. There's not enough corporations in game ready for the Big Thing to fill all islands so, naturally, they stay empty.

Hunter is correct..
The problem is two major power blocks and a low population. I don't consider the AIG alliance a power block as they have declared neutrality. If you have power and do not wield it, you in essence, have no power.

A certain power block,  upon finding out there is a gamma base will use their numbers to just stomp on you and destroy everything they find, unless you agree to play on their terms, and that's fine the game allows that. But as the pop is low and ppl have lives as hunter has said, it should be no surprise that most islands are empty still.

It is a shame as Inda has said the Devs have put a lot of work into this expansion and whilst their efforts are appreciated, it should come as no surprise that most gamma islands remain empty.

Flame and troll away little people...

ohh and hunter "not to nolifers (like me)." you funny..  lol

With introducing new elements into the system that is Perpetuum, change doesn't come instantly. Besides, Gamma is just another layer on the Perpetuum cake. If anything, it feels like icing on the cake, giving old(er) players something to work towards. Don't forget Perpetuum's manifesto; it's essentially the intended end-game.

In retrospect, Perpetuum's beta period might've never ended. Gamma is just something that the DEV's needed to get out of their system. I'd say with recent comments concerning PVE content, the focus is now where it should be for the population of Perpetuum to retain and grow. Give it time, Rome wasn't built in a day (and neither was EVE).

6 (edited by Hunter 2012-07-08 05:03:02)

2Blocker: Actually i think that powerblocks must be. The current groups are not powerblocks. 50-80 ppl squads - little crowd. I hope to see real powerblocks with 500-800 ppl (each).

2BandwagonX9000: Let me explain you... Yes. Only big and powerfull corporation should have the gamma base. But... Now we have only one way to defend the base - antiblob (defsquad). There is only one way save the assets. This is element of linearity (bad element). IMHO should be as minimum ONE MORE way to def the base.

2Doek: Ok, how much time need for gamma frontier?

The theory of mutual interests
Why the crybabies wins?
Где Ханя - там победа (с)
DEV Zoom: No need to speculate...

I think people are pretty just waiting for the DEV package now.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Crepitus wrote:

I think people are pretty just waiting for the DEV package now.

yep.

tho i do think its kinda sad that after all this time something so basic as core game design & game play is still being talked about (and argued over). wo9uld have thought this kinda thing would have been done back in beta testing.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

People from EVE wanted more sand in a sandbox game, while perp veterans just wanted multiple squad lead and alliance functions...  Oh... give us PBS, we need something to work too...  Now look were we are, NPC bugged, missions..laughable, Dynamic Ore spawns (omfg I am going to blow a blood vessel in my *** eyeball.), and people QQing becuase of the market an product revaluations.  If you would have just kept your *** mouth shut and enjoyed perpetuum pre walls, pre probes, preterrible *** that took away from a great game, we all might be able to get some pvp then having to walk 30 mins to get to a pvp island to find noone but dockupskis.  But you people from EVE and your please give me more of eve clone and this is what you get.  Taking bits and pieces from EVE and not developing a path to robot success. 

And while we are at it, let's nerf *** ERPs some more.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

People from EVE wanted more sand in a sandbox game, while perp veterans just wanted multiple squad lead and alliance functions...  Oh... give us PBS, we need something to work too...  Now look were we are, NPC bugged, missions..laughable, Dynamic Ore spawns (omfg I am going to blow a blood vessel in my *** eyeball.), and people QQing becuase of the market an product revaluations.  If you would have just kept your *** mouth shut and enjoyed perpetuum pre walls, pre probes, preterrible *** that took away from a great game, we all might be able to get some pvp then having to walk 30 mins to get to a pvp island to find noone but dockupskis.  But you people from EVE and your please give me more of eve clone and this is what you get.  Taking bits and pieces from EVE and not developing a path to robot success. 

And while we are at it, let's nerf *** ERPs some more.

QQ much ? smile

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue