Re: F2P maybe?

The other big elephant in the room, possibly the biggest, is the issue of Community Interaction.  I'll preface these comments with 'yes, I know it's a sandbox and no, I don't want to turn Perpetuum into carebare-bots' and go on to say that the hardest part of coming(back) into this game and wanting to have an impact is dealing with the community while trying to find a measure of connection or immersion with/in the game.

My example would be coming back and thinking a cool new player experience would be having an Outpost on a Gamma Island that is wholly neutral and run by a Corp that contains only one or two players from which I, the hypothetical new player,  could make dangerous forays into Gamma Space looking for artifacts or ore scans to sell.  I looked at this idea and though 'with spark teleports this idea could work... and I could terraform an arena for betting on battles and,  and make a Gamma Thunderdome like in Mad Max and...' then I looked at the community and though 'it'll get destroyed right away for the killmail'. 

The crux of this issue is that Perpetuum is looking to be a new game with an old community; an old community awash with gripes. grudges and Extension Points.  This will make the new player experience for anyone wanting to get out there and play beyond Alpha Islands uninteresting.  Think back to when you got your first Assault Bot and went "Yeah! Going to Beta to raid!" ... now consider how it'd feel if you arrived and there was a fleet of Mk2 Uber-bots laughing at you and kicking your wrecked bot arround after 20 seconds... uninstall. 

Obviously in a sandbox conflict and balance are incidental... the odds are only on your side if you plan it that way.  Be that as it may, I still wonder why Gamma(no SAPs to hack) is a death sentance for ANYONE no matter whom they are affiliated with... why make war on a future ally?

Sociorum, inimicos, omnes

-:does speak for NSA on the forums:-

Look, if every player who logs in can have an outpost on Gamma what makes it special? Technically every player currently can, but you need to defend it. And that's fine. So what if defending = corp and teamwork and a bit of intelligence and a physical presence in game. Aren't these good properties to have in a MMO? The game is based on time, more time you are subbed more skillpoints you have. While it be real sweet for low EP players to do everything in game there needs to be content for ALL level of EP players .... Stay in the game long enough, or join a corp and share in their experience, and you play all aspects. Don't expect it or demand the game be dumbed down so you can have it out of the box.

As far as multi boxing ... It's really quite simple ... People who can afford a computer(s) and the sub costs and like the game enough will multi box. And good for them. Seriously Syndic I may have trolled you in the past here but you suggesting no multi boxing after running 8 accounts, simply because you're not doing it now, is bullshit. It doesn't ruin the game. I currently have 3 accounts but can only really effectively play one at a time since the gamma expansion because its all my current computer can handle. Can I mine while I'm in combat? Nope. Artifact while mining? Nope. But that's life. I pay for my accounts, and as long as they are subbed they collect EP ... It's a sandbox, and that also applies to how you play it.

By your own admission you're not really in game, you're doing whatever you choose. And you (and I) are free to post whatever you choose here. But quit trying to ruin a game you're no longer committed to ... I'd like nothing more to see you and 40 of your CIR bros come and assstomp us somewhere, anywhere in game ... But that means you gotta play the game.

My posts are on the discussion of F2P Cassius, you've not written anything related to that. You're just sperging around for attention. Want a cookie? How bout some milk to wash it down? smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

If this game goes free to play, I am going to make 50 mining characters and I can run them on the systems that I have.

That is all.

Syndic wrote:

My posts are on the discussion of F2P Cassius, you've not written anything related to that. You're just sperging around for attention. Want a cookie? How bout some milk to wash it down? smile

Funny because you wrote on multi boxing and as it relates to the game and F2P ... And I countered your point on it. Someone is ESL and needs reading comprehension classes.
The only reason this F2P discussion was necro'd was because someone was bored and wanted to be part of a discussion. It doesn't work in the PO model and it doesn't work in the EVE model. And everyone I knew who played EVE also multi boxed there as well. Now that PLEX was introduced here, high nic earning players now play for free, as in EVE, and the Devs supplant their lost sub income with PLEX income ...  Net gain is zero dollar wise, but players have more options to pay for subs. F2P is and should be a non issue in PO. Let it die.

Congratulations on finally getting my point. F2P is pointless and won't achieve anything without severe changes, if not a complete wipe & relaunch. smile

CIR Complaint Form

Kind of proving my point about entrenched commnity wide hostility there guys.

Question: Why attack anyone you see on Gamma instead of only attackng known enemies?

Because that's the whole point of this game.  Two types of players when it comes to corp relations:  Friends and targets,  and if its ever in question, shoot first ask questions later.

Gharl Incognito wrote:

Question: Why attack anyone you see on Gamma instead of only attackng known enemies?

because you can without any consequences for the attacker.
There is no law in perpetuum, it got shot down by blackomen back in beta.

Thats the sandbox that the DEVs wanted wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

60 (edited by Celebro 2013-02-03 12:15:59)

Aside from the obvious mechanics making this game a really bad choice to go F2P.  The F2P model tends to cost more money per average player than the subscription based model.

For those advocates labeling multi-account players pay to win, is just wrong. Multiple accounts involves much more work, thought and time than just simply buying your way to more advanced gear and bigger mechs.

Perpetuum in on the right track to improve and get more players in-game (See latest blog). My only issue is, it's just taking far too long. Addressing this issue by getting more developers involved retains my interest and I still remain hopeful for a larger player base community in the future without the need for a F2P model.

RIP PERPETUUM

hmm, the "free2play" games seem to be very lucrative, even without pay2win items - especially during development phase.

a few numbers i know from Firefall (f2p freelancer game):
83 DEVs working on it,
700k $ spent for a cinematic trailer
and enough cash to grant a professional cosplayer 10k $ to see how far she gets in making her own battleframe costume.
not much advertising yet.
financed by "founder pack" fee's between 25$ and 100$ and casual premium shop income for Xp booster, fun items and different battleframe paintjobs.
and its unlikely that there are many player out there having more then one founder account at the same time

now compare that with perpetuums 8$ per account per month for more then 2 years -> and how many paid DEVs are there.

both income models only work when you got a minimum active playerbase, if you have to continue on developing basic game elements. both models fail at the moment you have hardly enough paying customers to run the servers and an office rent.

Most perpetuum optimists always point out the apple-store-factor that is necessary for the current perpetuum to work: you need a so big fanbase that the shortcommings are ignored aka I-pod's and phones are overpriced, still bought...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Y U NO FARM AND BUY ICE fuuu

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Gunner wrote:

If this game goes free to play, I am going to make 50 mining characters and I can run them on the systems that I have.

That is all.

^^ This pretty much sums it all up why F2P won't work here.

RIP PERPETUUM

As I pointed out in my posts on the subject ( http://forums.perpetuum-online.com/post/77397/#p77397 ) a F2P model would only work partly with making the game 1 PC = 1 client. Sure, people with 2-3 PC's would still multibox but there would be no cases of 50 mining F2P accounts being run simultaneously. It would inherently solve the passive P2W when newbies go up against a vet with 3-4 accounts.

F2P is "lucrative" when done correctly (giving most if not the entire content to free players), because then the game itself becomes the "hook" that draws people to spend an extra 2,99-3,99€ for the fluff-stuff, convenience stuff, insert-other-stuff... It adds up very quickly.

Personally however, I wouldn't expect AC to invest any significant effort or thought into it. I think most of the devs and a big majority of whats left of the playerbase understand what Steam represents for PO.

CIR Complaint Form

If you made ftp players unable to use industrial of any kind including the ability to prototype, manufacture RE or refine then I think ftp might work. No hauler, no miner, no harvesting. This would produce an army of ftp consumers stimulating the market for the producers. Add to that half the ep generation speed for free accounts and that would work imo.

Proverbs 23:20-21 warns us, “Do not join those who drink too much wine or gorge themselves on meat, for drunkards and gluttons become poor, and drowsiness clothes them in rags."

Martha Stuart wrote:

Because that's the whole point of this game.  Two types of players when it comes to corp relations:  Friends and targets,  and if its ever in question, shoot first ask questions later.

And it's also why the player base will nopt grow on Steam.  The flipside to the Steam coin is that the next MMO is in a box directly below this one... you log in, discover a community akin to a crochety old sewing circle that's not shy about stabbing you with their knitting needles because it's their right for being so old and young 'uns need to respect their elders and the Steam community moves on to a more level playing field.

Look at the massive decline in the Hawken population into open beta because they have a poor matchmaker: people want to have a chance, perhaps not an even chance but a chance at least.   Sandbox games thrive on ambition and big ideas; players need to walk in and think 'one day, this'll all be mine'.  If sandbox communities maintain their status quo they'll not survive the next generation of money spending gamers... and seeing as they are just plain dull with a small community they will fail.

Gharl - you mean, most sandbox DEVs are like that:
http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=303

and the announced research change feels like that:
http://thenoobcomic.com/index.php?pos=235

68 (edited by Martha Stuart 2013-02-04 15:37:45)

Gharl Incognito wrote:

You are completely missisng the point of this game.  Ok, so from your perspective, ill just let people who are not known enemies roll out to our gamma base and just stroll around looking at all of our defenses, figuring out strategies for breaking in, maybe safe logging a fleet there.  Do you not see the point that i'm trying to make?  Don't parade around and say that new players don't have a chance.  I was in STC from the beginning, we got the **** beat out of us for about 9 months, until our pilots started maxing out skills and getting into good bots.  But the bots and EP was not what made us be able to defend ourselves.  SKILL is what allows you to succeed.  You can stroll around in a T4+ fit mk2 heavy all you want, but if you don't understand how PVP works, and what strategies work, and HOW TO WIN A BATTLE then you will lose every single time.  You seem to fail to realize that neutrals now, can and usually will be enemies later, and no one in their right mind is gonna allow neutral players to walk about on there gamma island.  Gamma bases are Multiple billion NIC investments, not to mention the days of work that go into them.  No one is going to allow people they don't know to stroll about in there base, nor should they.  And if you think that corps should, you are insane.  you can come into this game and say, "All of this will be mine one day".  STC is proof of that.  we came in as noobs, got absolutly annihilated for almost a year, we lost multiple Beta OP's to much more powerful corps.  And now we are on top, we can compete with anyone in the game, and most other corps besides <12>  wont even engage us in mechs or heavies.  So your point is completely invalid.

Martha Stuart wrote:

You are completely missisng the point of this game.  Ok, so from your perspective, ill just let people who are not known enemies roll out to our gamma base and just stroll around looking at all of our defenses, figuring out strategies for breaking in, maybe safe logging a fleet there.

Woah... slow down there.  If the Gamma island is claimed as your turf and they don't want to check the forums and generally do their research on where they're going then eat 'em! I'm not advocating care bare cavalcades taking the MGM Tour around Corp Turf.   Claimed territory should be defended zealously.

However... on an otherwise empty Gamma island that doesn't contain any defences or Outposts is it really reasonable to have a kill on sight mentality for every single player? As I said, you may be killing a future ally against your current enemy, you may be destroying a bunch of artifacts you wish to buy or you may be hitting the uninstall button for a new player. 

Another aspect to this is territoriality means nothing if the entire gameworld is endless random ganking... it feels like an arena server from the old Neverwinternights RPG... min/max...gank gank gank...die... repeat. 

Where's the engagement? 

Where's the immersion?

People want these things in a persistent world.

The main problem that your describing here is basically on the player end.  More so the type of player. 

That type of player is honestly a leader, a leader who is willing to setup put things on the table and get the *** kicked out of him and keep going no matter what.  As for players backing him up, that will come. 

I don't know how many times in other games and in this, that the people who I shoot today are my friends later, and my friends today are trying to get me banned after.  That's just the flow of the game. 

I go back to the phrase "If you build it, they will come." and they will, build a great game, full of persistence and a open world feel, one of endless opportunity's. 

Build a great game first and the players will follow.

The Gifter
Top  Killer 2013  - 01: 334 -- 17 -- 317  : Merkle
Top  Killer 2012  - 01: 027 -- 472 -- 445 : Merkle

Scarab Kill Count - 13

Merkle wrote:

The main problem that your describing here is basically on the player end.  More so the type of player.

well, a hardcore game only attracts hardcore gamer, which are a even less then PvP orientated Player.
Gharl points at another factor that makes this game so emtpy:

Gharl Incognito wrote:

Another aspect to this is territoriality means nothing if the entire gameworld is endless random ganking... it feels like an arena server from the old Neverwinternights RPG... min/max...gank gank gank...die... repeat.

territory, names, standings mean absolutely NOTHING in perp. Sure you can "claim" a hole island, but where does it show up that its "yours"? Except Chaos and Dream i have never seen someone making his gamma base "public" - why?
because everything is intel that can, and will be used against you by others. you cannot even make your base public to your allies, because they could be "infliltrated" by a spy which would have 100% access to all intel an attacker needs to bring down a whole corp.

suspicion, hatred, flame wars, and all those negative things have a higher value in Perpetuum then actual fun, combat skills, trust and playing the game.

Conflicts happen in forums, general chat and the rather rare killboard entries.

back to topic: free2play wont change anyting positively - as the free trial already showed, it will only accelerate the abuse of metagaming.

Gharl Incognito wrote:

Where's the engagement? 

Where's the immersion?

People want these things in a persistent world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSxSyv4LC1c

There.

CIR Complaint Form

Merkle wrote:

I go back to the phrase "If you build it, they will come."

Good advice, I'll take it.

74 (edited by BandwagonX9000 2013-02-07 17:51:48)

Merkle wrote:

Marketing is what makes people come. A good game is what it makes them stay. They are not coming, and they haven't stayed.

BandwagonX9000 wrote:
Merkle wrote:

Marketing is what makes people come. A good game is what it makes them stay. They are not coming, and they haven't stayed.

QFT... where is the "like" button in this forums?