Re: DEV - Player conference

Will this conference talks be made public? Otherwise I would just like to hear what is being said

RIP PERPETUUM

52 (edited by Egil 2012-07-05 15:19:11)

Celebro wrote:

Will this conference talks be made public? Otherwise I would just like to hear what is being said

Read three posts above.

edit: Ehmmm.. or four. smile

Egil wrote:
Celebro wrote:

Read three posts above.

edit: Ehmmm.. or four. smile

oh missed that somehow, thanks.

RIP PERPETUUM

Annnnd .... Coming home from work and there's some accident, doesn't look like I'm gonna be on time sad will do the best I can.

Alexadar wont participate due to RL stuff. Bad Alex, i know.

56 (edited by DEV Gargaj 2012-07-05 21:33:09)

The complete unedited, unprocessed recording is here:
http://content.perpetuum-online.com/aud … -07-05.mp3 (~90mb)

I might conjure up a slightly better processed / normalized / edited / autotuned version somewhere down the line to level out the tone/volume differences, but as it stands I think this'll work for the time being.

EDIT - since introductions were scarce, here's the initial speaking order: Cassius, Kaldenines, Dazamin, Line, Lemon, Azyre, Zortarg, Tamas and MQX. (DEV Calvin was acting as host/moderator.)

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

that you to the devs and everybody present. this was a very good, civil and facual discussion with leaving all the political stuff aside.

im looking forward to the things that are comming.

p.s.: the forum post i have promised has to wait till tomorrow. work day and such.

While I'm here: sincere apologies to Qwertyboom for the combination of circumstances that kept him from joining us in due time; the short notice probably didn't help and we'll attempt to schedule the next such conference on hopefully a weekend where the timezone differences matter less.

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

Just finished listening to the whole thing, extremely well done, thanks again for providing the players with an opportunity to present their views. 

To the comment at the end about people being hateful on the forums, we do it out of love, people who don't care don't post yarr.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

60 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-06 03:06:06)

Sounds like it went well from what i heard, Wish i could have been there but you know 4am.... YEAH RIGHT lol

but most of what i would have said was said so im happy.

needed more troll tho tongue

I do still think that making the coast un terraformable would help the situation. i hade this comment back in feb... you should HAVE to use mobile TPs to get around gamma's

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

Sounds like it went well from what i heard, Wish i could have been there but you know 4am.... YEAH RIGHT lol

I do still think that making the coast un terraformable would help the situation. i hade this comment back in feb... you should HAVE to use mobile TPs to get around gamma's

But how are we to gather energy from the oceans of nia!

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

Sundial wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

But how are we to gather energy from the oceans of nia!

If you want to stick to the lore, we should be able to walk into/under the water too which sometimes happens tongue

Interesting conference, I can't wait to see your updates pack smile

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

63 (edited by Karism 2012-07-06 05:38:24)

A few ideas based on the stuff talked about during that conference, some are kinda out there so bare with me.

Redesign gamma connections in order for there to be roughly 6 entrances into gamma instead of 3, something like this design (rough) http://i.imgur.com/59GS7.jpg

Change Terraforming/construction areas on gamma from this http://i.imgur.com/Fkld7.jpg to This http://i.imgur.com/1NjlS.jpg (Blue=Terraforming/Construction Area, Yellow dot=Teleport), in order to make bases something built in the inner island, rather than teleports being fortified.

One issue with the above is in order to balance, every island would need to be reset probably, and terraforming charge costs reinbursed, not to mention time spent.

New mechanic for having out of the way PvE on gamma, Create "Instances", in which to be accessed require a "portal" to them on gamma (Built like a building), which function the opposite as a beacon, going to the npc instead of them coming to us, only 3 per island, certain number of hours cooldown (access an be restricted to only be accessed by a relation/rank etc) t4/t4+ loot, plasma etc as rewards, difficulty/reward is based on how many players/what bots enter, npcs are all 5th star, and based on the island the portal is on.

In order to exit the instance you take a teleport at the start (could add more along the instance area that are opened once opened/progressed), the instance then has free room for however many "points" your bot was worth.

Add buildings which generate an aura where no terraforming can be done, but can only be up for a certain amount per day, the time period must be the same for all of these on the island, and another corp cannot place one down within x (more that the aura area) of yours, this mechanic is in order to make sure an enemy corp cannot terraform a hole in your defenses during the middle of the night, alternativly you could just make this aura emit form the outpost itself for a certain amount per day, but depending on how far this is could limit base development.

Some small things.
- Reduce the cost to build construction blocks, or increase the amount built per run)
- Reduce terraforming charge costs.

64 (edited by Dan 2012-07-06 05:18:50)

Your gamma tp connection map looks interesting, inserting one island to create a space between gateways islands may be nice. I wouldn't bring back Alpha-1 triangle.

PvE:
Instances? No way! Switching roaming spawns to some sort of NPC fleets/caravanas with 20+ npcs with elite (ie. vanguard) or even observer leaders would be interesting (chance of t2+, t3- and with extrame luck t4+ mods drop) also increase number of spawns which roam at the same time.

Boost (greatly) rewards from gamma artifact sites. Scientific level 3 and no CT, not even *** one, thats harsh hmm

Rewards (difficulty) could also increase with range how far (how many jumps) the island is from nearest Alpha/Beta. So ninjas wouldn't get same benefits by just teleporting next to beta and enjoy same rewards with lesser risk.

Interzone teleports range reduced.

It's all, atm, I'll be back cool

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

Dan wrote:

Your gamma tp connection map looks interesting, inserting one island to create a space between gateways islands may be nice. I wouldn't bring back Alpha-1 triangle.

This was based on the comment by Azyre, the teleports would not all be connected but would require traveling across the island to get to the next connection.

Although personally i would prefer that they added in the spark teleport system instead, with a cooldown timer.

Dan wrote:

PvE:
Instances? No way! Switching roaming spawns to some sort of NPC fleets/caravanas with 20+ npcs with elite (ie. vanguard) or even observer leaders would be interesting (chance of t2+, t3- and with extrame luck t4+ mods drop) also increase number of spawns which roam at the same time.

Well, i was trying to think of a way to make Gamma more profitable without flooding it with npcs, and to make it so that only those who actually live there can profit from it.

66 (edited by Blocker 2012-07-06 06:39:47)

I think the island suggestion by Karism has potential as well. As far as the gamma pve content goes, I think Dan has some good ideas there. I don't think instances would be good, we need to try and keep it as simple as possible, if possible. No need to over complicate things, remember the Dev's have to write the code, not us. So simple is better and faster to bring to production.

I've been thinking about the terraforming issue and it occurred to me that something like this may work:
1. Base can only be placed x distance from teleport. (x being decided by devs and community)
3. once base is deployed a terraforming zone is established and terraforming can only be done by the base owner within a given radius of x. (x being decided by Devs and community)
4. This terraforming zone only lasts for x hours (refer previous X explanation) after which terrafroming becomes permanent and no-one can do any further terraforming including base owner. To remove a base requires one of two things:
a) The base is deconstructed by the owner, thereby cancelling the terraforming zone and allowing anyone to terraform again.
b) The base is destroyed by attackers thereby cancelling the terraforming zone and allowing anyone to terraform again.

Some notes about 4. if corp A completely encloses themselves in before the time limit to terraform has expired and then the timer expires,  they are locked in. This would be a stupid thing for a corp to do. So a corp must have a way in and out of the base. So corps would have to plan their base much more carefully before dropping stuff down.
If a base is destroyed by enemy attackers then the terraforming timer and zone is reset.

Just some thoughts I had.. Yes they may be crap, but at least I'm trying to contribute..

67 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-06 05:39:56)

Karism wrote:

A few ideas based on the stuff talked about during that conference, some are kinda out there so bare with me.

Redesign gamma connections in order for there to be roughly 6 entrances into gamma instead of 3, something like this design (rough) http://i.imgur.com/59GS7.jpg

I actually think they have it right with how the gamma TP network is. The problem i think is beta / alpha.

Karism wrote:

Change Terraforming/construction areas on gamma from this http://i.imgur.com/Fkld7.jpg to This http://i.imgur.com/1NjlS.jpg (Blue=Terraforming/Construction Area, Yellow dot=Teleport), in order to make bases something built in the inner island, rather than teleports being fortified.

i have and always will support the above idea...

however the idea about locking TF is very dangerous IF done wrong.

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I would like something along the lines of: http://www.upload.ee/image/2489430/lines.jpg
* You are missing Imidero-Yuraion Ro teleport line.

And again, you guys trying to rebalance game for 200 players.

Burial wrote:

I would like something along the lines of: http://www.upload.ee/image/2489430/lines.jpg
* You are missing Imidero-Yuraion Ro teleport line.

yeah, i saw that afterwards, here is a fixed version http://i.imgur.com/ShScM.jpg

heres the thing out in gamma having some islands more "remote" than others i dont see as a bad thing.

72 (edited by Ludlow Bursar 2012-07-06 09:11:39)

[EDIT] Just read this post: very similar stuff so apologies for duplication[/EDIT]

When asked by the players "Why 2000m building restriction around teleports?" the Devs replied that Hi-tech turrets can have up to 1500m range yet everybody still seemed to agree that a 1000m limit on building near teleports was the correct distance.

Being shot at by a static structure immediately on arrival is, I think, something everyone agreed would be detrimental to Gamma.

Soulutions suggested have been the 2000m restriction - (too much sand taken out of the box), or a syndicate protetion zone around TPs (we've been there before). How about MPC turrets (and only MPC turrets) not locking anyone within 500m of a teleport and a 1000m building restriction. That way if you feel the need to defend a teleport you have to do it with players, players can still shoot you when you're stood on the teleport.

73 (edited by Norrdec 2012-07-06 09:14:20)

Is it possible to create a zone that:
Turrets can't attack you (a syndicate protection working for defense from turrets and not players)
and at the same time:
You are not able to lock turrets.
+ extra idea -  it will work for the first time you are in the zone, if you leave you won't be able to regain this "buff" (to work with it: make a new group of buffs with a limit of one (like you have nexus buffs limit of 3). The first buff to be detected (the one that defends from the turrets) will work as long in the zone. If you get out of the zone you will get a "not in zone buff", allowing the turrets to attack you. This second buff should not show on the GUI, so that it doesn't clutter it, and not to confuze new players.

That could work to alleviate the problem.

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Your extra idea is a good one. Put one toe out of the 500m zone and no matter where you go turrets can lock and shoot you.

75 (edited by Atticus 2012-07-06 10:51:05)

Why not keep structures min 1000m from tele, and hi-tech structures 1600 m from tele ( or whatever distance is outside range) so players are not insta killed upon entry ... this still allows base defenders more island to play on.

I dont think reducing terraforming cost is a great idea .... otherwise islands will be terraformed to hell and back ...  I think a current cost of 2-4 bil nic per walled off tele gate is reasonable for at best a passive defense. It serves as an immediate stopgap for defenders to build a proper settlement, but the high cost is a deterrent to trying to wall of every tele on a island to make a safe roam area ... its certainly doable with enough nic but not really smart. High terraforming cost forces the player to be intelligent on how he/she chooses to terraform.

Perhaps a little incentive towards good base building is tweak the current purchase of blueprints when you terraform with beacons.  Make a category of blueprints call "Main Base", make it quite expensive, say 100m to make a blueprint of 1500m x 1500m .... but give bonuses to structures and defenses built on this blueprint. As long as the Main Terminal set somewhere on the blueprint is not reinforced, walls are persistent and dont degrage, turrets get either 5% damage or range, buildings have higher resists, etc, etc.  This would encourage the player to plan his base carefully, encourage him to defend it, and maybe even make walls worthwhile on gamma.  You can also make the "Main Base" plan cheaper to terraform.  This also has the added effect of making the island possible to breach, outlying buildings, and unfortunate miners or solo players, easier to kill while at the same time making it very difficult, (but not impossible) to destroy someones hard work while they're sleeping or drinking or working.  Limit the number of "Main Base" blueprints to 3 per island ... either one corp could build 3 or an alliance of 3 corps can share an island and each have their own base.

Also, since smaller corps may want to settle other islands, or at least try, a fortified "Main Base" may last a little longer vs a incoming horde of players .... I really think current population is too small to be able to have a base wiped in one sitting. Well a normal sized base ... obviously the smaller a base the easier it will be to kill it.

As far as risk vs reward ... as said in the conference most gammas have no Nic making activities that can support the size of corps and alliances that could live there ... it needs to be bumped.  Production of bots should not be exclusive to gamma (ie heavy bots) but easier to make it worthwhile. Guessing but I would say something like 40% better than Alpha, 30% better than Alpha2, and maybe 15% better than Beta. The exclusivity of the production should come from gamma only minerals ... like the current colixium and scarab mk2 production

Currently I personally feel its close but needs some minor tweaking. The main reason why Gamma hasnt taken off like the Devs envisioned, why PVP is non existent, why the market is dead, is population.  As long as its low, nothing will work, no matter how good or what the incentive. I can only suggest advertising is the primary culprit but who knows ...

Sorry I just realized wrong toon .... This is Cassius.  Thanks for allowing me to attend the conference. And this is my 2 cents