Topic: Central Hub Teleport Island

I'm thinking that a hub island dead center of the Alpha islands would be good. You could then link all of the currently dead teleports to this island. This would make getting across the map a bit faster. The hub island would be for quick movement using the TP system. I'm thinking no market as this would disrupt the fragile market taking hold currently. 

Whether or not it would have NPC's is another matter. Or full on PvP (arena style?) outside of the teleport area. The central teleport should be a single structure that you are safe in, and after the normal cool down you can then TP to the next destination.

I apologize in advance if this idea has been brought up before.

2 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-30 15:47:29)

Re: Central Hub Teleport Island

Reachok wrote:

I'm thinking that a hub island dead center of the Alpha islands would be good. You could then link all of the currently dead teleports to this island. This would make getting across the map a bit faster. The hub island would be for quick movement using the TP system. I'm thinking no market as this would disrupt the fragile market taking hold currently. 

Whether or not it would have NPC's is another matter. Or full on PvP (arena style?) outside of the teleport area. The central teleport should be a single structure that you are safe in, and after the normal cool down you can then TP to the next destination.

I apologize in advance if this idea has been brought up before.

All 3 alpha 1 islands used to be directly linked.  It was called the golden triangle for awhile because of the transport mission payouts at each station that you could run back to back until your soul ran out on you. 

They deliberately destroyed that awesome connectivity for newbies for no apparent reason and messed up all the teleport connections inside the islands into a jumbled mess as well.  Vets just beacon over alphas now I don't know anyone who is on one.  The carebears are all on alpha 2 (Tellesis/Hershfield/Shinjalar).

They've also specifically not allowed remote market access and other things from one station to another only the ability to see what's in your personal cargo somewhere else.

As to why they did/didn't do all these things? No idea, AC's logic is often baffling to me.

EDIT: Before Gamma and even Alpha 2 the Alpha 1 island outposts were the market hubs of the game with ICSA being top and Cadavria probably 2nd.  After Alpha 2 those new islands became the hubs because of better production primarily and having all facilities in one OP being invaluable.  Now with Gamma and the *** up island layout for maximal travel time, there are no real hubs any more like there used to be.  Unfortunately the game is too small to not have one.  Tellesis is probably the closest right now but even it has massive holes in its market.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

I started playing just before they made the new central islands and remember the (somewhat) easier inter-island hopping. Right now it takes a good while to go pick up something several islands over. Sometimes that means that I just get my bot ready for the journey then go to bed, or after picking up the stuff go do something else until I log back in to finish the journey. It's that tedious.

That's why I was suggesting a central hub island. And, after giving it a bit more thought, the arena style pvp on the island could be Thunderdome style (1v1), team style, and/or player versus boss bot. Or a mix of any. I think that some scores I see in General Chat could be settles via the Thunderdome, lol.

Seriously though, the arenas are just a side thought. The central hub island is something I think everyone could use, with or without arenas or npc's. I had originally envisioned no terminals, but if there was at least one, adjacent to the TP and equally safe that corps could set up storage in they could leave stuff for corp mates there. Still thinking no market though, as that should be on the other islands.

4 (edited by Crepitus 2012-06-30 19:38:52)

Reachok wrote:

I started playing just before they made the new central islands and remember the (somewhat) easier inter-island hopping. Right now it takes a good while to go pick up something several islands over. Sometimes that means that I just get my bot ready for the journey then go to bed, or after picking up the stuff go do something else until I log back in to finish the journey. It's that tedious.

That's why I was suggesting a central hub island. And, after giving it a bit more thought, the arena style pvp on the island could be Thunderdome style (1v1), team style, and/or player versus boss bot. Or a mix of any. I think that some scores I see in General Chat could be settles via the Thunderdome, lol.

Seriously though, the arenas are just a side thought. The central hub island is something I think everyone could use, with or without arenas or npc's. I had originally envisioned no terminals, but if there was at least one, adjacent to the TP and equally safe that corps could set up storage in they could leave stuff for corp mates there. Still thinking no market though, as that should be on the other islands.

I think a lot of that would be negated by dropping the instability timer for jumping with tps/beacons from alpha to alpha as well as having the charge up for all the beacons be faster.  But I do agree with you the travel times are tedious.  They are still significantly worse than they used to be before Gamma and in some cases fun spots were totally removed from the game like haddonwol which used to be where 2 different beta islands and an alpha island all came together on new viriginia at cad 2 tp and you could jump between the 3.. which were sometimes occupied by opposing forces who would sometimes fight multi-sided battles on that tp.  That kind of engagement is gone now; completely.

EDIT: Although, at least they left the dead tps in so that you can beacon to them for staging and whatnot.

Population graphs

<GM Synapse> please don't abuse our fresh players before blowing them up. And for god sakes, don't do that after it!

Syndicate island please in the middle of the map with 1 alpha or alpha2 connection from each of the faction. Centralised market hub for all our needs surely helps the game a lot.

Wrong.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

Wrong.

nice to see you clearly articulating answers against this idea....

imo tho a new central island that acts as a central trade hub would be a waste of time & effort.

The TP network did need a change imho BUT the way the alpha 1 islands were arranged wasnt the best design the devs could have gone with.

the alpha 1 "triangle" should have stayed.

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

8 (edited by Ville 2012-07-01 14:22:24)

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Wrong.

nice to see you clearly articulating answers against this idea....

imo tho a new central island that acts as a central trade hub would be a waste of time & effort.

The TP network did need a change imho BUT the way the alpha 1 islands were arranged wasnt the best design the devs could have gone with.

the alpha 1 "triangle" should have stayed.

Stop listening to these people:

1. Dynamic Ore spawns a Great Idea
  -Key points of arguement:  It will be good to see people trading geoscan results for nic.  People need more to do then just sit around and goto the same spot and mine, interesting to see different parts of the island.
What Happened:Massive fields of fragmentation, fields under spawns that ECM and have less then 30 second respawn.  Having to have combat and logistic support around miners on alpha.  New player frustration when unable to mine a field due to low EP extensions.  9 tiles of green minerals in the middle of no where the geoscanner takes you too.  Geoscanning results are not being traded due to like Ville said: "Who in their right mind would pay someone to do something that they already do for themselves."

2.  Removing Observers from Alpha
  -Key points of argument:  They keep ghanking our lithus and poor new players.  Beta is the only place NPCs belong.
What Happened:Alpha corps were no longer able to compete with Beta corps in research, further reducing the gap between alpha producers and beta producers.  Players no longer got a free shot at a group event that yeilded challenge and teamwork.  Argano market sells went down sad  Afking mining becomes viable again and liquid markets become flooded.

3.  5th Star Spawns should be removed from Alpha
  -Key points of argument:  There is not risk verus reward on alpha farming the hardest spawn on alpha.
What Happened:Yet another alpha nerf greatly stunting the gap between alpha producers and Beta producers.  What happened to this?  You guessed it Alpha market collapses in all major trading hubs.  Lack of player base in the market collapsed caused people to stop logging in.  Let's be honest it was only 2~3 5th tier mobs, every 10 mins, it's not like it was OMFG THIS SPAWN SO 1337 MY FACE HURTS.

4.  Let's Make the game world feel bigger by Changing the Teleport layout and adding more islands!
  -Key Points of argument:  The game just feels too small.  It should take some time to have to travel between places!  Also it would open a world of transportation careers up for all those specced into the golden Triangle!
What Happened:In doing this, we killed pvp.  Walking to one side of the island to the other takes atleast 30 mins.  In order to roam an island now you have to either invest in a sequer with 20 teleport beacons or you have to run for 30 mins.  Game population is at 200.  Let's add 30 more islands!  That away 5 ~7 people can have an island to their own!  PVP is scarice due to lack of bodies present in areas.  This game feels more like a ghost town in some zones. 

5.  Terraformable islandzors and let's be able to build walls.
  -Key Points of argument:  I want more sand in my sandbox.
What Happened:This my friend was the death nail for perpetuum.  Although walls and probes were a good idea they have NO place on Beta islands.  Walls and probes replaced people and defenses designed to give people something to do.  Light ewar gangs were destroyed.  CHEAP pvp was destroyed.  It turned tactics of showing up running around provoking a force for a good chase and pvp action turn into:  Find a mining spot and log off and log on during peak times to kill someone.  Sneaky stealth tactics become obsolete, pvp evolves.   NPCs stay broken for monthes during the expansion.  Many people leave due to this.  NPCs on Gamma are so sad right now I want to stab myself in the fin eye.

I beg of the devs to stop listening to people like Obi Wan Kenobi, because they clearly don't think about the rammifications of the actions prior to the implmentation.  It's may sound good right now, but perpetuum is a unique game by itself that is great and stop stealing snips of stEVE to appease a couple of explayers.  Stay ONE course and do what you want and not what whiney players keep suggesting.  o7

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

1. Random Ore spawns are ok as they are. As long is it took to implement them, they completley missed to review all those carefully handmade missions to prevent things like tutorial missings already sending new player out into the last corner of the island to find the titan ore located under NPC spawn.

the two questions are here:
    - why does the training mission not ask for solibdit - the noob material under the terminal?
    - why can they exclude buildings and impassable terrain from possible ore placement, but not static npc areas ?

2. Observers
    Their implementation as source for Crafting was something i never understood. The reasons for that would also mean that killing Lemon should drop you 10 observer kernels, each time. Yet i havent seen him dropping kernels ever...

3. 5th stars on alpha
    does it really matter? all the ranks of npcs are for is to define which kernel they drop. Actually it doesnt matter if there are 10 four star npcs, or 5 5th stars -> they all give you tier four knowledge and the farming process is the same boring grind based on accumulator stability, locktime and DPS.

4. If you think PvP is killed by walking distance, lol. your own corp always preaching that a capitalistic corp doesnt stand a chance against a communistic one. Yet the game is capitalistic made and this topic is about the request for a trading hub - something capitalistic.

all capitalistic thinking player are carebears since they have to do all the grind on their own to get equip they can risk at PvP.

5. Back when i requested buildable "Walls", i have requested them as defense structures for outposts, to fortifiey SAPs that have to be protected for 60mins, while they can be done in up to 10min

, not to cover whole islands with them.

About light ewar gangs and their ability to disable and kill tanked heavy mechs, without even bringing a dedicated anti-meach weapon i dont even want to talk.

that the DEVs did implement Terraforming without anything to counter the lockdown of teleporter - its a riddle.

about the topic "central trading hub" topic -> i doubt that the EVE DEVs made Jita with the intention to make it such. In a Sandbox game, the PLAYER decide where they create there hub.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

The first reason why I don't articulate my answer is because the sheer idiocy behind the idea(s) should be obvious to any sandbox player.

What is Perpetuum right now? Perpetuum is the only child of overprotective parents that never let it experience the outside. This child can never ever play in the sandbox because sandbox has bacterias. This child is in the incubator. This child as a consequence has no immune system, because every time someone steps off the rails there's the parent-developers right around the corner waiting to "sanitize the bacteria".

1. During Beta when M2S exploited police towers/started suicide ganking, instead of fixing the problem with the police towers, the developers removed the towers completely and made Alpha a full no-PVP zone.

2. When the EVE players came, there was 1 particular individual who used the game mechanics in a specific way. Ohh Yeah baited people with flagged Arkhes on Alpha, then when they flagged up on the Arkhe he'd jump out in a real bot and kill them. Ohh Yeah was banned as a result of this.

These are just examples that demonstrate the overprotective parent panicking and trying to keep their child safe, inadvertably dooming it to spend the rest of its life in an incubator. There have been 25,000 accounts registered since release, why are only ~500 at best still around? Because Perpetuum right now, is a mechwarrior team-deathmatch game on rails. Not a sandbox.

Inevitably that is why all the advertising in the world won't help because people don't care or read about "innovative new sandboxes that just happen to be 2 years old with 200 people playing" adverts by indy developers. People read about drama, wars, cutthroat politics and all the juicy stuff that inspires them to try and be a part of a living breathing world.

The second reason why I don't articulate is because I'm neither a fanboy nor a volunteer. I'm paying them to play their game, they're not paying me to fix their game or be a soundboard for their ideas. Therefore, I'm getting my money's worth. Should try it sometimes, its very relaxing and quite easy. roll

CIR Complaint Form

And no, Devs didn't make Jita. Players looked at the map and decided on a location that was uniquely suited for a market hub, then started posting stuff there. It grew from there in reputation and economical power.

CIR Complaint Form

The central island I proposed is a teleport hub. I think I said no market, but maybe a terminal for corporations to drop stuff into for other corpmates. I suggested an arena style pvp site on this imaginary island, but that is just a suggestion that I'm not heavily promoting. There should not be a market on this island, or platform.

I'm not proposing a change to PVP mechanics, or terraforming. And no, we definitely don't need a central island trade hub similar to Jita in Eve.

Someone hijacked my thread!! fuuu

I just wanted to use a lot of colors.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

+1 for an island which is connected to all 3 alpha 1 islands, but has NO terminals.

15 (edited by Obi Wan Kenobi 2012-07-02 04:17:35)

4.  Let's Make the game world feel bigger by Changing the Teleport layout and adding more islands!
  -Key Points of argument:  The game just feels too small.  It should take some time to have to travel between places!  Also it would open a world of transportation careers up for all those specced into the golden Triangle!
What Happened:In doing this, we killed pvp.  Walking to one side of the island to the other takes atleast 30 mins.  In order to roam an island now you have to either invest in a sequer with 20 teleport beacons or you have to run for 30 mins.  Game population is at 200.  Let's add 30 more islands!  That away 5 ~7 people can have an island to their own!  PVP is scarice due to lack of bodies present in areas.  This game feels more like a ghost town in some zones.

well most of those islands are still locked so your point is .... mute.

Syndic wrote:

Inevitably that is why all the advertising in the world won't help because people don't care or read about "innovative new sandboxes that just happen to be 2 years old with 200 people playing" adverts by indy developers. People read about drama, wars, cutthroat politics and all the juicy stuff that inspires them to try and be a part of a living breathing world.

I will agree with you syndic on the above. But hey i guess The Devs wont listen to you & well i think me calling them *** a while back on IRC didnt healp my cause tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

16 (edited by Burial 2012-07-02 08:23:29)

Syndic wrote:

The first reason why I don't articulate my answer is because the sheer idiocy behind the idea(s) should be obvious to any sandbox player.

What is Perpetuum right now? Perpetuum is the only child of overprotective parents that never let it experience the outside. This child can never ever play in the sandbox because sandbox has bacterias. This child is in the incubator. This child as a consequence has no immune system, because every time someone steps off the rails there's the parent-developers right around the corner waiting to "sanitize the bacteria".

1. During Beta when M2S exploited police towers/started suicide ganking, instead of fixing the problem with the police towers, the developers removed the towers completely and made Alpha a full no-PVP zone.

2. When the EVE players came, there was 1 particular individual who used the game mechanics in a specific way. Ohh Yeah baited people with flagged Arkhes on Alpha, then when they flagged up on the Arkhe he'd jump out in a real bot and kill them. Ohh Yeah was banned as a result of this.

These are just examples that demonstrate the overprotective parent panicking and trying to keep their child safe, inadvertably dooming it to spend the rest of its life in an incubator. There have been 25,000 accounts registered since release, why are only ~500 at best still around? Because Perpetuum right now, is a mechwarrior team-deathmatch game on rails. Not a sandbox.

The second reason why I don't articulate is because I'm neither a fanboy nor a volunteer. I'm paying them to play their game, they're not paying me to fix their game or be a soundboard for their ideas. Therefore, I'm getting my money's worth. Should try it sometimes, its very relaxing and quite easy. roll

Wrong thread?

And btw, people didn't look at Jita and thought "lets make a market hub here". It was a combinations of factors, main ones being that it had easy high level mission access(and therefore a lot of people started to sell their cr*p there) and it was within 1 jump from 3 regions. Nice seeing you talk about things you don't know about.

Thats was the TL;DR edition. roll

CIR Complaint Form

18 (edited by Dan 2012-07-04 23:41:59)

Syndic wrote:

A little bit of topic, but still a good post. I didn't know that Ohh Yeah got banned, that's *** ***...

To whiners:
Market will decide on it's own (ffs it's *** sandbox) which terminal/outpost will be a tradehub, we don't need new features which will give us that one. GO BACK TO WOW PLEASE...

"you're not in an MMO to make friends, you're there to make enemies smile"

market hub will be where someone with marketing skills settles down and has fun station spinning.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I think I should have titled this thread "Central Teleport Hub Island" instead of the way I titled it. Or maybe "Central Teleport Island". I think by titling it the way I did it got confused with "market hub" and that was not my intent. smile

Just connecting this idea with a real old one for one starter isle:
starter isle in the middle of all existing ones with two areas
mid-isle:

• to go through tutorials and trainings missions where you can choose at the end of trainingsmission your fighting bot (will decide to which alphaI-teleporter you are beamed later)

• geographically completly shut off, once out of that starter area no possibility to get back

• one terminal (trading possible)

• option to teleport out of mid-isle to a teleporter at the beach area (safe in police tower zone, chosen with robot) after completing trainingsassignments

beach areas:

• teleporters to all alpha I isles

• no terminal, but a building to access for botrepair if in no aggression mode

• revival of police towers around those teleporters + repairbuilding

Just a teleporting isle with no other means would be ... boring. But I see a great chance for police tower revival any way there big_smile