Topic: Landscape fragmentation?

So many industrials have been concerned about ore fragmentation that could cummulate up to an issue.

For myself, i'm trying to imagine how gamma islands will look like after a few month of unrestricted terraforming - without any alogorithm running on the server that is causing natural erosion.

Worst case will be that some islands will look like hershfield without random decoration buildings.

what do you think about it?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Re: Landscape fragmentation?

I don't think we can assume the original texture is retained. Meaning once you've terraformed it, that's the way it is, there's no way for the server to erode it back to it's previous orientation; not to mention if you've lowered the land, having it 'erode' upward doesn't make much sense.

Also, for area's that aren't abandoned, if they erode they can't be fixed because you can't terraform around existing structures.

The concept of 'living' islands, subject to the forces of wind and rain, is OK. But for sure there's never been any rain, and I'm not even sure the planet has an atmosphere to generate wind.

Should terraforming decay like walls? No. god no. Yeah, no.

Besides, finding the 'ruins' of some old terminal terraforming would be kind of interesting.

Personally I think terraforming provides a great way of leaving a permanent mark on the world (unless someone else terraforms it). If TOG disbanded and completely vanished from the game tomorrow, 3-4 months down the road some new player might be passing through Yuraion Ro and marvel at the walls of Dover down there, wondering who built them etc...

Stuff like that adds a lot of immersion to the game. I wish Devs would start writing articles on history of Perpetuum, in 5-6 years that stuff will be the mortar that keeps people involved with the game. IMHO anyway.

P.S.

Before someone gets all ZOMG-THE-DEVIL-WANTS-TO-KILL-TEH-GAEM-DEV-BAN-PLX! I mentioned TOG cause those walls they build are the most visually impressive terraforming on Gamma. ^^

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

what is this strange feeling coming over me .... im having to agree with syndic... *shoots self in head* fuuu
tongue

No i agree it would be cool to be able to see the remains of past empires! smile walk over an island that has been abandoned & see old fortifications big_smile

It lets the players feel like they can leave there mark on the game .... literally lol lol

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Yep, unless robots can lift a servo an spray oil to mark their territories... smile

i didnt write "erode it back to its previous state within 4 weeks".

first, quoting Wikipedia:

Erosion is the process by which soil and rock are removed from the Earth's surface by natural processes such as wind or water flow, and then transported and deposited in other locations

Im not talking about  terraforming un-done by the server - only an algorithm randomly smoothing and withering the islands, removing ugly spikes and sharp corners from former player settlements that are not frozen/fixed anymore by buildings and concrete layer

Arga wrote:

Also, for area's that aren't abandoned, if they erode they can't be fixed because you can't terraform around existing structures.

your already stating in your argument that Terraforming doesn't work around buildings - if they are still there, why would the landscape there erode? I have request up on the forums asking for making concrete more then just something to prevent plants from growing.

about the speed things are happening: erosion is usually slow, very slow - except for things that naturally will move TONS of dirt in a matter of hours like: Volcanic erruptions, Eearthquakes, Meteorites... or fusion-bombs.

A fortification would still last several month and if no other player starts to interfere, the rough shapes would still be visible for an (game) eternity... like in RL wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Hmmm I'd prefer if they spent a month coding something fun in game, that erosion stuff sounds like a lot of codemonkey hours and would go unnoticed by most people apart from a few with OCD who would consider it annoying.

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

If erosion was occuring at any noticable rate, all those other gamma islands could end up being totally flat by the time they were opened - especially those yellow ones wink

Arga wrote:

If erosion was occuring at any noticable rate, all those other gamma islands could end up being totally flat by the time they were opened - especially those yellow ones wink

I see what you did there.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

natural erosion made these areas total flat:
Example 1

Example 2

and especially this one!

Annihilator wrote:

natural erosion made these areas total flat:
Example 1

Example 2

and especially this one!

That's not erosion only, there is plate tectonics, volcanoes and glacial erosion in the mix. Some of these natural forces would be nice to have but would have to be extremely slow not to mess up terraforming. Then again too slow won't make it noticeable enough to justify the effort, for this feature.

RIP PERPETUUM

Arga wrote:

Nice troll Arga, we'll take gamma when we need to, and if we want to wink

RIP PERPETUUM

They should fix current lags near terraformed area first.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Celebro wrote:
Arga wrote:

No one needs gamma and opening a gate isn't taking an Island, but we'll be waiting if you ever do try either. wink  And you'll be thankful that the island isn't completely flat from erosion!

Celebro wrote:
Arga wrote:

We didn't want this expansion anyways!  Amirite Celebro? Lololoolol.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

ZOMG How cool would it be if explosions left craters (size depending on strength). Mech, small dent, main terminal large crater, plasma bomb (artillery someday maybe) small crater.

+1
-Confucius

+1

Kaldenines wrote:

ZOMG How cool would it be if explosions left craters (size depending on strength). Mech, small dent, main terminal large crater, plasma bomb (artillery someday maybe) small crater.

^^ i wantz

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue