51 (edited by Yakapao Doherato 2012-06-08 23:03:08)

Re: Mining on alpha - no future?

Goffer wrote:

I support the initial point to discuss the future of alpha mining, as all improvements with gamma patch will be lost forever, if mineral prices will rise to insane levels just because the  support of alpha minerals dries out.

I think it is a bit early, to gave final conclusions, but my experience is, that the amount of mineral I will mine per week will on long view drop significant. From the experience after path I expect my future mining amount to be ~1/5th than before patch and I bet I'm not the only miner for whom this will stay true. Together with the increased amount of resources needed for T3&T4 Equipment this will have significant effects on long time economy.
For me this is not the big deal, my storages are in good shape but for the game itself it will be quite drastical if equipment prices will rise again drastically due to increased ore prices.

To Dev Alf: I stop mining, when I don't have any more time (either need to log out directly, or have not enough time left to bring further ammo charges/haul additional ore back to terminal/need my miner back in terminal/...)
The amount of minerals left in spot I'm actually on is only weak reason and will only influence the time when I stop mining, when I decide that I don't have the time to change to next mineral spot if the actuall field is empty. No "Code of mining" will keep me online, if I need to go offline.

Goffer explained it just perfectly. Anyone stops mining for different reasons, thats why I said, no "mining codex"
will ever work. To all those, who maybe think, Im trying to get the oldstyle mining back, I got to tell, they´re wrong. I have written it in one of my above posts, but for some lazy people, that didnt read the whole topic, but just the last few posts, I will tell it again in bold: The mining changes in general are good. The idea with random ore spawns non-refilling spots is imo good. BUT... There should also be a mechanic, which can handle the wide fragmentation of ore fields, we most likely will (and partially are now) get.

Any discussions about the possibilities of reaching 100% scanning accuracy are just off-topic. Its not about finding and cleaning fragments (which can be very annoying and time consuming). Its just about two things:

1. Casual miners (I mean not only 2 week newbs on termis with very low mining rates but People that dont have 8hrs a day to spend ingame due to their RL, with quite well-skilled mining toons) will have to deal with either long preparation times (e.g. scanning through the whole island for non-fragmented field), or just cleaning up one fragmented field after another (which is wheter profitable nor fun).

2. Due to the fragmentation and point 1. the overal ore excavation will sink and that will lead to higher prices and poor ore markets.

Again, anyone (except of big "communist" corps, that have almost no external market interference) will suffer from it.

I wont, because I already have enough NIC to support my alpha living for months (years?). Just in case, someone think again that Im whining...

If one day I find that I dont enjoy mining anymore, because of OP, Ill simly stop it and will concentrate on other game aspects. Will be sad, but Ill try to not suicide. Promised.

EDIT: of course, it depends on players in general, how much fragmented the ore will be, but there is no "players in general", just corps and individuals. Some will care, most not.

P.S. Due to my great personal ore stockpiles, I will be one of those, who will profit of rising ore prices.

I just wanted to say my favorite part of this post is Lines picture gallery.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

"I quote you how you quote me how you whine"
"no I quoted you because you didnt read original post"
"but you didnt because the Pi of Square Nobody Cares is not equivalent to root square of what the f***"

When I played EVE, the first vet player I came across let me in on CCP's policy and that knowledge kept me playing despite many stupidities and inconsistencies that wasted my time.

HTFU. Harden The F*** Up.

Pretty much why CCP still has my money coming in to pay for their earthly habits. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Syndic wrote:

"but you didnt because the Pi of Square Nobody Cares is not equivalent to root square of what the f***"

When I played EVE, the first vet player I came across let me in on CCP's policy and that knowledge kept me playing despite many stupidities and inconsistencies that wasted my time.

Pretty much why CCP still has my money coming in to pay for their earthly habits. smile

OIC. Anything on topic then?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Goffer wrote:

I think it is a bit early, to gave final conclusions...

and I think it will be a bit early for at least a couple of months.

the game is not ready for this... fuuu

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Syndic wrote:

Lets all HTFU and play a game where stupidity and inconsistency rules! At fundamental gameplay.

P.S. for how long you´re back this time?

HTFU? What's that?

Line wrote:

HTFU? What's that?

Eve bull**it quote.

RIP PERPETUUM

What we need is to see is the size of the field on the scanner, if that's possible to implement. In that case we know beforehand how large the field is and if it's worthwhile going for.

Vehacan wrote:

What we need is to see is the size of the field on the scanner, if that's possible to implement. In that case we know beforehand how large the field is and if it's worthwhile going for.

which would make you only run into the biggest ore deposits all the time, and then the fragmentation logically becomes even worse, when you ignore the smaller spawns or leftovers from someone else, always going for the biggest one.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!

Annihilator wrote:
Vehacan wrote:

which would make you only run into the biggest ore deposits all the time, and then the fragmentation logically becomes even worse, when you ignore the smaller spawns or leftovers from someone else, always going for the biggest one.

Let's assume the biggest field has a size of 2000 which needs 10 hours to mine by a single miner. If fields of say 200 are found this will be enough for the 1 hour solo miner. So not necessarily every miner is going for the largest field.

What I do think is that the total amount and the number of fields spawns is too small on alpha islands.

P.S. if scanning is going to be a profession then the accuracy of a field size should be an extension to work with perhaps.

Vehacan wrote:

The problem is, a geoscanner with directional charges doesnt search for "fields", it doesnt even know what a field is. It simply tracks the nearest tile, regardles of the ore amount in it or surrounding it. Further, I can hardly imagine, how scanning could be a real profession, as you can never be sure, that you are the only person paying (or knowing) for/of scan results you buy. Even if you were, it can be so fastpaced, that after a hour the field could look completely different and your accuired scan results are inaccurate. On the other site, if you cant sell your scan data immediately, in a couple of hours its just worthless. At least with current mechanics.

Yakapao Doherato wrote:
Vehacan wrote:

The problem is, a geoscanner with directional charges doesnt search for "fields", it doesnt even know what a field is. It simply tracks the nearest tile, regardles of the ore amount in it or surrounding it. Further, I can hardly imagine, how scanning could be a real profession, as you can never be sure, that you are the only person paying (or knowing) for/of scan results you buy. Even if you were, it can be so fastpaced, that after a hour the field could look completely different and your accuired scan results are inaccurate. On the other site, if you cant sell your scan data immediately, in a couple of hours its just worthless. At least with current mechanics.

I still pledge for a field size variable with the geoscanner, one that can be passed on to a scan result. If the field has been emptied after a while, the dynamic variable will be updated (just like the markets) and when it reaches zero the scan result cannot be used or sold and will be deleted.

Perhaps scan results should be sold on the markets only so that only one person can get it and when the field sizes reaches zero it will be deleted and cannot be sold anymore. smile

65 (edited by Darth Miner 2012-06-10 19:08:34)

Whole day corp mining on Hershefield, no problems at all: dig all --> move to next field --> dig all --> be happy.

Yep 100% geoscanning accuracy makes it easy, just spend the EP if using a Riv, or use a Termis to clean the fields.

You'll get your problem when the population will grow up.

damn learn basic geochemistry to lvl6 (3days) and use argano(basic robotics 4) with t4 geoscanner and have 100% accuracy, lazy people must suffer!

69 (edited by Yakapao Doherato 2012-06-10 21:26:05)

damn, you are so smart! How could I ever figure out how it works, if you were not here to teach? fuuu

Do you know how to use a broom? Why dont you sweep streets then? Everyone would benefit of it wink

You so smart to place your sarcasm here... give broom every whiner in this tread big_smile
Especialy for Jojid

DEV Alf wrote:

I would say, its a miner code, to clean up after yourself.
If you don't like to find tiny spots, you don't leave tiny spots behind.
If everyone would follow this guideline there shouldn't be any problem.

As for griefing... there are numerous and way more exciting ways of griefing than mining for hours to leave a spot behind... smile (but you always surprise me cool )

This would work except first time miners/casual miners won't have 100%+ scan accuracy and therefore cannot be expected to mine the whole field perfectly

/yawn this topic is now a week old.

# of times I've mined on alpha since patch. 7 days around 10 sessions between 1-4 hours per session. In those 10 sessions 4 time I logged my miner out on the patch I was mining, after my hauler hauled my can and brought me new can. When I relogged only one time had someone came and cleaned my patch and left it fragmented. I swept it up and moved 1500m to the new patch of the same mineral and started mining.

I don't mine on the door mat of the outpost or mainterminal. I go to the outer TPs or outer Outposts on ALPHA. I've only encountered that one "field" that was fragmented it took me all of 7 mins to clean it. I moved about 1000m away before popping the next directional scan. Also while I'm directional scanning I bring some area and tile scanners along with universals if you see a miner go universal him then area then tile.

While I do agree that a function should be run server side to "sweep" the fragments once every 24 hours, I don't think its as bad as some people are posting.

Before we get bent out of shape about this can people who are continuly finding fragmented fields post up screen shots of the tile scans and your accuracy (I understand not everyone uses 100%). But I think this will help the devs understand which playerbase is having issues with fragmentation.

TL:DR As of yet I've only found one alpha fragmented field and it was an easy clean up. I agree some function should be run server side to "clean" the fragmented field but I don't see it as a huge problem yet.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Keep in mind too, "fragmented" means something different to a termis miner, a riveler miner, and a 10 man Riv MK II Fleet.

Simply, on alpha, the smaller fields (after the patch, the total 'yeild' per field is smaller for high % miners) are quickly stripped by large scale operations, which typically won't leave any tiles, simply because they too want another field to spawn (and OCD kicks in).

But, large fleets are more likely to roll out to 'remote' fields, as Khader points out, so what were really talking about here is solo miners with limited time, finding it difficult to access 'good' fields near the outpost. As an example, the bowl near Tellesis was always a favorite, as it has all the ores and was close to the outpost. This type of 'instant on' mining is now certainly gone.

On the top end, not much of a change. On the bottom end, the mined volumes are low enough that they can 'fill up' on just a handful of tiles, so where the problem seems to lie is with the 'middle class' miners, and for solo miners. On further thought, it has very little to do with fragmentation, which I believe will still be an issue on alpha (just not immediate) and more to do with mining being much less convient.

the server will now periodically clean up mineral tiles containing very low amounts.

THANK YOU!!!

i hope that period is not to short... dont want to lose the minerals from tiles that just reached the "low amount" while im mining.

wink