Topic: New Gamma islands

I have read all the blogs so excuse me if I didnt catch this.

Will these islands be PVP only?
Can a non huge guild build structures?

I usually play solo and on a limited amount of time can I build structures?

thanks

Re: New Gamma islands

Yes, it's PvP only. Building bases on safe islands would make gamma islands obsolete, and the available space would quickly run out too...

3 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-31 18:13:00)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Yes, it's PvP only. Building bases on safe islands would make gamma islands obsolete, and the available space would quickly run out too...

Player housing is available in non-pvp areas on many mmo's, including eve to a certain extent though not completely safe.

One great example is the MMO, Wurm online that has terraforming and player housing in non-pvp zones, and the available space is controlled with deed fees and some limitations. PvP areas only need other significant advantages not available on alpha. Well, if Dev vision of this game is just pvp (intrusions changes/gamma islands) then it's not going to survive long. Not that I need it (safe player built stuff), but most percentage of players stay in safe areas (look at eve numbers in high sec), and I'm only interested in the success of this game.

edit: Sad to here from the Devs,  just writing off building bases on non pvp zones. sad

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

edit: Sad to here from the Devs,  just writing off building bases on non pvp zones. sad

We're not writing it off, I reckon the question was about "these islands", and this patch smile

DEV Zoom wrote:
Celebro wrote:

We're not writing it off, I reckon the question was about "these islands", and this patch smile

Ok, good to here this smile.

RIP PERPETUUM

What I'm thinking here, is what we've mentioned before, about putting Alpha-III islands in, but that these 'safe' islands are on the other side of the gamma teleportation system.

Meaning, once you get there, Syndicate's got your back, but the trip there is dangerous... and of course, the need to add in other mechanics to stop 600m phallic symbols and terminal overcrowding.

Arga wrote:

and of course, the need to add in other mechanics to stop 600m phallic symbols and terminal overcrowding.

There is a neat way to do this with player housing decay and land rental fees.

RIP PERPETUUM

We're also thinking in land rental fees but so far we couldn't come up with a feasible system for the whole thing. (How do you take over land from another player, etc.)

I'm no longer a "trial" player, I just subbed so im in for a month.
I dearly would love to have my own place in a non pvp zone. MY game time is limited, I am prolly only one in a handfull of players that only do mining and manufacture.  I dont really care to do PVP in EVERY game I play.
IF I want to PVP Ill log into Eve and join my friend in Goonsquad......

10 (edited by Arga 2012-05-31 19:40:04)

DEV Zoom wrote:

We're also thinking in land rental fees but so far we couldn't come up with a feasible system for the whole thing. (How do you take over land from another player, etc.)

How about needing 11,000 kernels to unlock the Alpha Terminal foundation.... (j/k, sortof)

One idea, is simply that you can't 'lock' alpha terminals. Meaning anyone can come in and use the facilities. The proceeds go to the corp that owns the facility of course, a % that is.

The overall process would be something like:

Syndicate opens up a parcel of land for auction - parcel is large enough for 1 terminal, 1 reactor, and 1 foundation, with left over space for energy xfer and (4) upgrades.

Winning Corp (corp bidding only) now has a 30 day lease, which is renewable every 30 days. Lease amount has a base value + value on each building.

As long as the corp continues to pay the lease, they own it.

New Parcels, in a semi-random pattern across the Island, provide the occasional opportunity for the Corp above to bid on land adgacent to the first, but most of the parcles on a new island will be remote, which makes them less attractive to a single corp trying to bid on all of them.

If the lease payments too high, corps can just delete structures (having the deconstruct mechanic would be too cumbersome, and without it the decision to 'destroy' instead of move the foundation has more consequence).

If the lease is not paid, the terminal is taken offline, and the parcle will go back into the semi-random auction.

The winning bidder can either destroy or use the buildings on the land.

With (3) of these Islands - one for each faction - with rotating the parcel auctions 1 per island every week, it would be many months before it was 'full'; there could also be a mechanism based on tokens where a corp could 'trigger' an auction early, but the chances of that parcel being where they needed it would still be random.

TF can only be done on parcels that you own.

Edit: the idea behind not being able to lock the terminal means that even if the island tends to fill up after a few months, non-owner players can still take advantage of the island resources. Using someone else's terminal however, always comes with the risk that they will not pay, and your assets can get locked in, or they can shut, take factories offline, when they aren't using them.

Probably won't be open for another 7 monthes.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Sales, the amount of sales
Production, the amount of production
Research, the amount of research

All 3 areas in a terminal determine part of a percentage of ownership (this can be combined with rental fees). It's a way to boost the Perpetuum market and it is all about prestige. Fairly unique but you can see it as trade wars (pvp-ing in pve land via markets), these are cutthroat and very competitive markets. smilebig_smile

Take over can be completed via an auction system. Says, when someone pretend on your land, then auction session started that last says 24h. In this time each side can increase a fee value that they're can afford to pay for this land. Side who have bigger value at the end of the auction time wins. Next session can't be started until some time has passed (a week or sorta).

Also there should be a restriction like no beta and gamma ownership - if you have some buildings on beta/gamma - you can't build on alphas. And if you have built a base on alpha and then captured/built sthing on beta/gamma, your main terminal on alpha will be destroyed so you will lost any ownership on alphas.

Such system, however, may need alpha-3 islands with greater landmass or even a continent (good way to test continents system btw).

Also, with such systems we can make Syndicate buildings on alphas obsolete, with all the facilities they give. As a result - FULLY player-controlled market and stuff. Want to buy/sell sthing? Welcome to %corpname% shop. Wish to manufacture stuff? For a symbolic payment you can use %corpname2% facilities. All assignments can be player-given aswell, from "mine some Titanium ore" to "haul over 9000u to gamma".

All this stuff can be more or less hard to implement, but it can have the greatest potential ever.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Those restrictions are trivial to bypass though with alt corps.

If beta/gamma corps wan't an alpha base they should be able to bid for the space.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

You could also take a book out of stEVE and require reputation with the given faction to place on the given islands.. create 3-6 new alpha-gamma islands and bam there ya go...

Require upkeep...substantial