Topic: Heads-up: Material conversion during the expansion patch

In case you haven't heard about it yet, our new expansion is slated for the 30th of May, and along with it comes a completely revamped industry.

Specifically, the component list of all robots, modules and commodities will change. For example, a commodity requiring epriton now may not need it to refine after the patch. This means that the price of commodities will most likely change.

In order to lessen the impact of this change, we will convert all the commodities in the game back to their raw mineral components during the patch. We will do this of course BEFORE the changes happen, with the current component setup. The conversion will happen with perfect efficiency, so you will not lose any minerals.

Commodity market orders will be cancelled for this, and since raw minerals have bigger volumes than commodities, the commodities found in robot cargos during the patch will be converted into the private storage of your home base (or the last base you have been at if you don't have one).

Re: Heads-up: Material conversion during the expansion patch

If someone with 20% refining creates alot of commodities now, and you return 100% effciency, won't we have created alot of raw materials of thin air?

Arga wrote:

If someone with 20% refining creates alot of commodities now, and you return 100% effciency, won't we have created alot of raw materials of thin air?

Well, someone still has to refine them after the conversion, and that will be a lossy procedure again.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Arga wrote:

Well, someone still has to refine them after the conversion, and that will be a lossy procedure again.

His name is Arga and my 20% is Trail04 ;D

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

HA HA HA HA HA /side not hurting.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Maybe I had this backward:

If I make titanium, and need 24 titan ore, but someone else makes it and needed 30 titan ore, but 100% effciency returns 28 ore, then I'll have 4 extra titan ore per commodity after the conversion.

Or, if you mean 100% as 'best possible' effciency, then eveyone will Lose a significant amount of ore in the process.

I doubt there's a good solution. One way we can game the change to get alot of ore back (if we have good eff rating), or we stand to lose alot of ore.

(titan is just an example, as a pure commoditity, you probably won't have to convert it).

Yes, you can make some extra if your refine with higher efficiency after the patch than you did before it, so it's basically a second chance at refining (although it's hard to tell since you need different amounts for refining too). It's not a perfect solution but we can live with that smile

8 (edited by Lupus Aurelius 2012-05-21 20:34:21)

Brilliant, just brilliant.  You realize that production for everyone will get shut down for the first few weeks, not to mention the amount of material that will now have to be moved again to refine again?!?!?!?!?  Some of us have spent moinths and months working our *** off to have the commodities to manufacture at need, and that is all going to get wiped out and have to be re-refined to the new material specs?!?!?!?!?  And what about materials gotten from recycling modules from NPC drops?

Most of us who produce have stockpiles that existed long before the test server went live, and all that work of moving and refining and moving again, will have to be done all over again.

B***S*** !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the gods we trust, all others bring data!

DEV Zoom wrote:

the commodities found in robot cargos during the patch will be converted into the private storage of your home base (or the last base you have been at if you don't have one).

Free hauling at least, time to get a few more scarabs smile

RIP PERPETUUM

What's the issue with converting them back to raw materials using the new industry changes? at least we can refine it back, because we will obviously need different raw materials post patch.

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:

What's the issue with converting them back to raw materials using the new industry changes?

You would get a completely skewed value back, since the components are different. You could win a lot but also lose a lot with the conversion, so it would miss exactly the point of it. Since the price of raw minerals likely won't change a whole lot (at least relatively among them), it makes sense to "save their value" over to the new system in that form.

Celebro wrote:

What's the issue with converting them back to raw materials using the new industry changes? at least we can refine it back, because we will obviously need different raw materials post patch.

how much hydrobenol did you already refine after reading the first indu2.0 blog? big_smile

the refining tables got massively changed - and the worth of raws will probably change with the patch. recycling them with the pre-patch tables is more logical

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

DEV Zoom wrote:

The conversion will happen with perfect efficiency, so you will not lose any minerals.

What do you mean by perfect?
100% or completely maxed out skills/relations/facilites?

14 (edited by Celebro 2012-05-22 19:01:27)

Chris Green wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

The conversion will happen with perfect efficiency, so you will not lose any minerals.

What do you mean by perfect?
100% or completely maxed out skills/relations/facilites?

Maxed out, so you won't lose out.

RIP PERPETUUM

"Perfect" means the amounts you see in the component list of commodities.

DEV Zoom wrote:

So to make it clear, We will all get 30 titan ore for every 1 titanium, correct?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

So to make it clear, We will all get 30 titan ore for every 1 titanium, correct?

Correct.

We happen to have 500m titan ore, if we convert it to titanium @ 24, we'll get 625m titan ore back @30 after the conversion. (actually, I think we have 543m, but its close enough). I haven't looked at the market, but 125m titan ore should be about an extra 68m NIC of value.

So, if you really have been stockpiling commodities from a beta III refinery, you're going to be very happy after the patch. Even with the extra time you'll spend re-refining it.

Do note that after the patch you'll need 75 titan ore for 1 titanium, as you can see on the test server.

20 (edited by Arga 2012-05-22 20:23:26)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Do note that after the patch you'll need 75 titan ore for 1 titanium, as you can see on the test server.

That's OK. It's still 125m more ore than if we didn't game the conversion wink

Edit: That makes it easier to transport commodities instead of raw mats, which is good, and could make trading in those goods better then raw mats.

DEV Zoom wrote:

DEV Zoom wrote:

Since the price of raw minerals likely won't change a whole lot.

Wouldn't this reduce the price of titan ore drastically?

RIP PERPETUUM

Celebro wrote:
DEV Zoom wrote:

DEV Zoom wrote:

Since the price of raw minerals likely won't change a whole lot.

Wouldn't this reduce the price of titan ore drastically?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the price of titan ore depends on how rare it is/how easy it is to gather (of course it also depends on demand etc). It's the price of titanium that should go up in theory since it needs more ore to refine.

I think it will cause titan ore to decrease in price in the short run (inundated) but after the dust settles titan ore will rise a bit, not drastically just some, unless there is an increase in the availability of the mines.

There's so many factors in the new ore prices, it's too hard to predict.

Will corps with 500m titan ore (625 acutally) choose to move that ore or just put it up for sale, now that Titan will again be available on beta and gamma?

Will the roaming ore fields effect large scale alpha mining ops?

With producers like Lucius moving off Telesis (Just an example of the high volume producers that will be moving off alpha), who's going to put up buy orders?

If I had to guess, I would predict that market prejudice will keep the ores about the same price; that is players are familiar with spending and buying at a certain rate, regardless of external forces.

For other, more volitle resources, like Epitron - well, its volitile smile

Clearly spoken: everyone who got a stockpile of raw ores/scrap should refine/reprocess anything he got @ best possible rates before patch, to get the most benefit from the conversion?