Topic: Questions and Thoughts

Hello,
I am enjoying playing this game. It took me a couple of days to get into and I am a nOOb for sure so I know that my comments below are coming from someone who has not fully played the game at its fullest.

I am still in the starter area but have completed all the tutorials.
Here are some initial thoughts of something’s in the game that I think are a bit odd.

Impassable Terrain - Why have so much terrain and make it impassable. In regards to steep slopes, why not implement a falling-damage like every other MMORPG? I do not mind traveling long distanced but when I have to navigate the MAZE of impassable areas to get to Assignment Area A it takes considerably longer and can be confusing. 

Allow us to traverse all the terrain and incur the risk of falling. This will allow for direct but still length routes to destinations.

Primary Target - We have a targeting computer and then we have the Landmark menu in which you have to select the primary target. Why not just have the target selected in the Targeting computer be the primary target and streamline the system? If there is a good reason for it that makes a difference in PVP then please provide that.

Mouse double-click movement - this might be on my computer only but I like to play from way up in the air (Birds eye) and click on the terrain for movement. However, you have to get the double click JUST RIGHT for this to work. It takes multiple tries to get it to work. Anyway to tweak this?

Mining Data - I am a long time stEVE player and the obvious similarities between the two games are well documented. Something that I like to be honest. However, Private Storage can get cluttered. Having the mining data as items in storage will add a ton of clutter. Why not just have the mining data automatically be uploaded and then just use the selection system to make it active? Keep the data in a ‘mining computer’s’ memory instead of free standing items.

Mining Graphics - I really like this game. However having the weird looking cylinders for mining is just off. Why not just add surface features (rocks, mounds, something similar) to mining areas. You can keep the scanning system before you mine these areas. As of right now the graphic is distracting and breaks immersion.

Equipment  on Market - Organize equipment into more tree-lists. Right now guns are listed with missiles and lasers etc… Break them up by category as well to make them easier to sort.

These are just items that would streamline game play and add to immersion and value. Again, I really like this game and plan on playing for a while since the only other MMORPG I really like and have stuck with is EVE. I think this is a great concept.

Thanks,
Adamant Stehl

Re: Questions and Thoughts

Impassable terrain is there to create choke points, defend areas on the beta islands, - creates strategy

I agree with some of your other points

Lucid Con wrote:

Impassable terrain is there to create choke points, defend areas on the beta islands, - creates strategy

I agree with some of your other points

That makes sense. Does holding the higher ground make a diff in combat?

THanks!

Welcome Adamant Stehl. I have a few comments based on your questions/thoughts.

Mining Data (and Private Storage) - you can add containers to your private storage to help clean up and organize it. It costs 5000 NIC each, but that's a drop in the bucket once you get started. I usually take one of those leftover mission Data consoles, right click it, and "Create Container" to place in the Storage.

Mining Graphics - Generally speaking, the world is somewhat dark, and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between Triandulus and the rocky spikes on the ground, so I think the mining cylinders are very useful. Besides, if you could simply see what is below the surface, why would you need scanners?

Immersion is something entirely different, because it's primarily based on your own perception of events. If you assume that the cylinders are how the information is displayed, then you retain immersion. If you think "that's odd that they programmed it that way" then you lose immersion.

Foo wrote:

Welcome Adamant Stehl. I have a few comments based on your questions/thoughts.

Mining Data (and Private Storage) - you can add containers to your private storage to help clean up and organize it. It costs 5000 NIC each, but that's a drop in the bucket once you get started. I usually take one of those leftover mission Data consoles, right click it, and "Create Container" to place in the Storage.

Mining Graphics - Generally speaking, the world is somewhat dark, and it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between Triandulus and the rocky spikes on the ground, so I think the mining cylinders are very useful. Besides, if you could simply see what is below the surface, why would you need scanners?

Immersion is something entirely different, because it's primarily based on your own perception of events. If you assume that the cylinders are how the information is displayed, then you retain immersion. If you think "that's odd that they programmed it that way" then you lose immersion.

Cool. I did not know about the containers. That will be very helpful and 5000 NIC is not that much. That's excellent.

I can see your point about beauty (immersion) being in the eyes of the beholder. But you don't see many games approaching graphics like this. They needed to make sure people are selecting a tile to activate the mining laser. So it’s a question of game function. I think there are more creative solutions to this that would be nice. So yes, for me, it breaks immersion and honestly, it looks cheesy.

BUT that’s ok. That is where this game is at this moment.  I think the graphics in general can use some work but EVE was a bit clunky when it started. I am thankful for the game mechanics and that they have something they can build on in the future.

Any other people experiencing problems with the double-click mouse for movement? Any solutions?

im a bit botherd by the double-click, wierd that it sometimes just doesnt take. i usually just use num-lock for autodrive an steer with 2nd mouse...

Some good ideas here, +1

Impassable terrain make sure you've hit L to show it and also amend your maps to 'show passable terrain' fixed my running into dead end problems which used to really piss me' off