Topic: Vanishing open cans? Anyone else?

Hi.  I reported this once before (recently) in a ticket.  The Devs responded quickly, politely and professionally, as always.

It just happened again so I'll ask if anyone else is getting this: I had an open field container while mining, about 97m away.  I was depositing stuff into it.  Then it just vanished.  The 1st time was on an Alpha Island; the second on a Beta.

(What I usually do is plant a can in the middle of the field, start mining at about 95-97m and work my way towards it, to get the most use out of it.  Once I get to it, I can continue into the other half of the field until I hit about 95m again.)

Now the can symbol had a full orange ring on it, because it was open.  It vanished while I was looking at an info pane, so I didn't actually see it go, but when I went to put some more ore in it, it was gone.

I suppose it might have been some sort of lag issue, or a zone disconnect (I have had those not become evident until back in a terminal, when I try to deploy again), or perhaps an error in the distance reading on the overview.

This is only the 2nd time that it has happened, and I don't much care about the contents of the container (ony worth a mill or so), so I won't bother ticketing it again.

However, if it is becoming reproducible, I am a bit worried about the future.

One other person told me that they had once had a can disappear too, but that's just two people.

Anyone else ever had one vanish while it was open?

For now, I am just going to make sure that, if I have to mine into a can again, I am within 80 or so metres of it.  If it still vanishes that close, then I think there is a problem.

Re: Vanishing open cans? Anyone else?

What I've found, same circumstance - mining 99m away from can, is that the can window is not really active.

I've always had 2-3 other miners working the same can, so I've never had it actually disappear, but on several occasions I've noticed that when dragging ore from the bot to the can, the ore will be removed from the bot, but will not show up in the can.

If I reactivate the can (press 'V' with the can selected), it will correctly show the ore in the can.

This doesn't happen all the time, but once it does, the can information does not refresh. So, although your ore is actually going into the can, the landmark window timer is not updating, nor is the timer refreshing. Once you 'lose' the connection to the can, reactivating it is the only way to get it back, it will stay broken even if you move closer.

To be clear, the can isn't disappearing, it's timing out. But there is a bug with the 'connection' to the can near max distance, which stops the timer from resetting.

As a work around, you can continue to mine at 99m, but keep an eye on the container U, if it doesn't increment when you drop ore, then press V again.

I never had a problem that the container disappears. I had problems to put something into it or take from it if the distance was 95-99 m.

Crepitus had this happen to him not too long ago.  He submitted a ticket but got a less then desirable response, hence his post about AC Customer Service post on the forum that got edited and locked.  Did you get the response:  "Now tell me what really happened?"

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

No.  I provided time and position info and was asked to wait while the Devs looked into it.  It was all very professional and polite and they got back to me with a satisfactory result.

The main commonality that I see from the responses was that 95+m seems to result in possible problems, so my personal fix, I guess, is to make sure that I am mining within 90m or less.  I will also close and open the can now and then.  It will be a little bit annoying to have to remember to "massage the container", as I have never had the problem with the can timing out/vanishing while it was open, before these last few days, but I can live with it.  Presumably, if it is reproducible enough, it will get put on an iteration list.

I think he got that response too Nemo. smile

i had the same problem once with a can close to 2000u of ore. same problem. i was very close to max range. and i just saw the same problem as described above that you dont see the changes in the can even if it seams that you have it open. i will do the same and will keep myself within 90m of the can to prevent anything like that again.

btw cans are not that expensive that you have to get max use of them.. big_smile

Nemo wrote:

Hi.  I reported this once before (recently) in a ticket.  The Devs responded quickly, politely and professionally, as always.

It just happened again so I'll ask if anyone else is getting this: I had an open field container while mining, about 97m away.  I was depositing stuff into it.  Then it just vanished.  The 1st time was on an Alpha Island; the second on a Beta.

(What I usually do is plant a can in the middle of the field, start mining at about 95-97m and work my way towards it, to get the most use out of it.  Once I get to it, I can continue into the other half of the field until I hit about 95m again.)

Now the can symbol had a full orange ring on it, because it was open.  It vanished while I was looking at an info pane, so I didn't actually see it go, but when I went to put some more ore in it, it was gone.

I suppose it might have been some sort of lag issue, or a zone disconnect (I have had those not become evident until back in a terminal, when I try to deploy again), or perhaps an error in the distance reading on the overview.

This is only the 2nd time that it has happened, and I don't much care about the contents of the container (ony worth a mill or so), so I won't bother ticketing it again.

One other person told me that they had once had a can disappear too, but that's just two people.

For now, I am just going to make sure that, if I have to mine into a can again, I am within 80 or so metres of it.  If it still vanishes that close, then I think there is a problem.

Yes, I lost 200U+ of Epriton a couple weeks ago and got told to go *** myself on the reimbursement.  Same thing happened to me and I was maybe 60m at most away from the can which had already been open for like 3 hours.

CrepitusGoldenGoose wrote:
Nemo wrote:

Yes, I lost 200U+ of Epriton a couple weeks ago and got told to go *** myself on the reimbursement.  Same thing happened to me and I was maybe 60m at most away from the can which had already been open for like 3 hours.

*** happens ... but if you are polite then sometimes ppl tend to help you. a lot of ppl have forgoten what that is on the web. and then they realy ask why nobody likes them.

Thread is digressing to customer service issues smile

Just to reiterate, this is an intermediate bug, but it is reproduceable with enough repetitions of drag-drop @99m. There 'may' be some corralation to the amount of U in the can, but I've had to reset the can connection about a dozen times, but never more than once per mining session (but this is most likely due to the limited amount of time spent mining at 99m from the can).

Zortarg Calltar wrote:

i had the same problem once with a can close to 2000u of ore. same problem. i was very close to max range. and i just saw the same problem as described above that you dont see the changes in the can even if it seams that you have it open. i will do the same and will keep myself within 90m of the can to prevent anything like that again.

btw cans are not that expensive that you have to get max use of them.. big_smile

Nod, Zortarg, it's not a matter of expense.  I only run one account, so to clear a can I must go and get my hauler.  I prefer to mine as much as I can in a 95m radius of the can before hauling.

I'll cut the distance down and see if that helps, as well as re-opening the can now and then.

Zortarg Calltar wrote:
CrepitusGoldenGoose wrote:
Nemo wrote:

*** happens ... but if you are polite then sometimes ppl tend to help you. a lot of ppl have forgoten what that is on the web. and then they realy ask why nobody likes them.

Here we go...  Please like me on the internet because I have no friends QQ...  A customer pays for a product if said product  is broken a customer invests time to be disappointed.  Stop growing hands from *** with a smile.  Being nice never fixed anything that message seems to echo loudly from your alliance.