Topic: New devblog: The road to PBS - Islands, building types and control

The third and final instalment of our blog series showcasing the upcoming Player-Built Settlements (PBS) system tells about the new island layout, the various building types and their purpose, and the concept of control and assimilation.

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … d-control/

2 (edited by Khader Khan 2012-03-31 16:36:57)

Re: New devblog: The road to PBS - Islands, building types and control

Nom Noms

+1 for test server good idea. No waste of Nic to practice killing my self against defences!!!!

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

3 (edited by Gremrod 2012-03-31 16:30:10)

Zoom a couple questions.

• 1. Will the gamma islands be void of sectors?

• 2. If the answer to 1 is no. Will the control towers be unrestricted in area controlled or are they limited my sector borders or can they cross over sector borders.

• 3. Will the control towers be unrestricted in area growth, but limited only to your supporting network? (I think I know the answer but wanted to ask anyway).

I am sure I have more to come and a lot will get answered by the test server. smile

John 3:16 - Timothy 2:23

Gremrod:

1. Yes. Teleports will be named by compass directions.
3. Control towers are only limited by their connection ranges.

Will the Crafting 2.0 update also give anything below industrial mech a long term role in this game?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Awesome!
I am very happy see this, because sems like you all heard player base words, and:

- made new connections to islands and more gammas and with right connections(like in my dream)
- start test server !
- defending system.

How will works the mining tower ? You will just deploy anywhere on the island? And then you will be ther a miner bot and mine as now?

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Inda wrote:

How will works the mining tower ? You will just deploy anywhere on the island? And then you will be ther a miner bot and mine as now?

Not just anywhere, since it needs to be connected to your network and must be provided with energy to work.
Once it's operating it will enable you to mine the new mineral with your robots just like normally. This mineral can't be mined without such a mining tower.

8 (edited by Burial 2012-04-01 02:49:18)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Noone is "forced" to do anything, but it's not that simple as turning on syndicate protection and be done with it. A protected island would be out of building space in a few days and then you would be just looking at each other. That said we're thinking about ways to make PvE gamma islands possible somehow, without destroying the balance of risk/reward.

Why not just make the guys living on these islands pay a big sum of NIC/whatever else for the protection? The amount could be dynamic based on the amount of people who actually want to live on the island and so on. Of course it would need couple balancing fixes but it should effectively solve the the issue of immovable outpost owners.

Terraforming+PBS is a BIG part of the game both from gameplay and from marketing perspective. There's big sum of people looking for just that in a game so I think you should give it some serious thought and think it out.

// So many places where to comment the blogs. tongue

9 (edited by Inda 2012-04-01 10:24:30)

Zoom I meant anywhere = the opportunity is anywhere in the Island but I understand. So there wont be ore field, the hole Island is an ore field like you need to use a Tower for it like oiltowers and you can "mine" oil everywhere on earth. Then I would like to see a bit new mining mechanic if anybody on it, But probably that is the last on your list.

Questions:

Wont change something the wall system ? Because there is now a semi automatic repair system to repair the walls I would like to see the controlled walls with automatic reapiring system. Something like this every 8 hour repair 2 cycle to the wall and use energy from the reactors or just Vitricyl or Prilumium. Because will be able to have some massive amount of walls.

Also would like a building where you can dock in and fit your robot.

I still have a problem:

That is all fine you can do your home and defend it and live there, but what will be the driving force to attack the enemy yes you will get the "loot" but that many times wont be as rewarding as you think. Because everybody know that so during the defending period the defenders will move out from Gamma to  Alpha or Beta. So where will be the fights? Why I need to go roam because If I will find somebody they will use their defense fortress or worse they terraforming near to teleports and I cant go anywhere on the island without massive attack force after that without any real reward.

The roaming NPC -s and moving ores would help a bit.

Thats about how long will be interesting this type of gaming 2 month or more?

I hope I am wrong and everthing will be fine.

Energy to Earth!

18.01.2014. [12:57:58] <BeastmodeGuNs> after that i remembered all those warning about 1v1 you lol, and i found out why xD

Very very nice blog, looking forward to the results. smile

One little concern would be the G1 bottleneck, this island could be heavily blocked; I would like to see 2 options when coming from B1 or B2, the rest is looking good.

Inda wrote:

So there wont be ore field, the hole Island is an ore field like you need to use a Tower for it like oiltowers and you can "mine" oil everywhere on earth.

Nono, there will be mineral fields, so you will have to build the mining tower in the proper place, and deconstruct it afterwards when the field is depleted. Yes, that mineral will be hard to get smile

Inda wrote:

Wont change something the wall system ? Because there is now a semi automatic repair system to repair the walls I would like to see the controlled walls with automatic reapiring system. Something like this every 8 hour repair 2 cycle to the wall and use energy from the reactors or just Vitricyl or Prilumium. Because will be able to have some massive amount of walls.

Currently we don't have plans to change the current wall mechanic used at outposts, you will be able to use them near your pbs buildings, with the same repair tools.

Inda wrote:

Also would like a building where you can dock in and fit your robot.

That's the main terminal.

Inda wrote:

That is all fine you can do your home and defend it and live there, but what will be the driving force to attack the enemy yes you will get the "loot" but that many times wont be as rewarding as you think. Because everybody know that so during the defending period the defenders will move out from Gamma to  Alpha or Beta.

Why would they move back and leave all their buildings unattended? The emergency shield mechanism will only work for the main terminal (and probably the industrial facility buildings), the rest of the network will be only defended by turrets and repair nodes, so the enemy can slowly tear down the whole thing.

The driving force is mainly to have your own territory, and the control of mineral fields. Yes there will be NPCs and artifacts and loot from buildings, but I don't think gammas will be the place to "roam", it's full-scale war or peaceful expansion.

Zoom wrote:

The driving force is mainly to have your own territory, and the control of mineral fields. Yes there will be NPCs and artifacts and loot from buildings, but I don't think gammas will be the place to "roam", it's full-scale war or peaceful expansion.

I think your fully under-estimating the capabalities of some corps. Or not realizing their intentions with going to a gama... Some of us will only want to harrass the others (kicking the corner of the castle) while others will want to take the area (stomping it until theres a pit).

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

its empire time baby!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Khader Khan wrote:

Some of us will only want to harrass the others (kicking the corner of the castle) while others will want to take the area (stomping it until theres a pit).

Well good for them, they have a driving force then smile

15 (edited by Inda 2012-04-01 15:10:42)

Much better if you need to move your miner tower I like it.

I know the Main terminal you can dock i would like to use other building because you can use 1 terminal on island /corp and main is very expensive.

As I said I hope I am wrong about driving force.
I persoanlly really dont like just destroy because I can and because the enemy will have a wrong day. And there is some others who also dont like.

And the mercenary things will be interesting also for you Khader, and Optikhan if you would liek to continue.

Energy to Earth!

Inda wrote:

I know the Main terminal you can dock i would like to use other building because you can use 1 terminal on island /corp and main is very expensive.

Ah I see, yeah maybe we can do such a building at a later point.

17 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-01 19:07:55)

Can I make one suggestion for the test server. It should have some rules, since you will want people doing testing and not just turning the test server into a free for all pvp arena.

I can start it with a first important rule when it comes to testing features.

• You cannot shot anyone without asking their permission first. (If you break this rule you get banned from the test server.)

Grem - that would mean syndicate protection on those test islands wink

I wonder if the PTS will be open 24/7, or at certain testing periods, where DEVs can actually track in realtime what the tester are doing there.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

19 (edited by Gremrod 2012-04-01 22:33:20)

Annihilator wrote:

Grem - that would mean syndicate protection on those test islands wink

I wonder if the PTS will be open 24/7, or at certain testing periods, where DEVs can actually track in realtime what the tester are doing there.

Or..

All islands have no protection and rule(s) - are are enforced by AC i.e. no shooting players without permission from them.

IMO, the test server should be up 24/7 and no need for DEV to monitor unless some things that need the DEVs to do a  testing call for the community to show up for specific tests. i.e. stress tests, specific mechanic testing that involves more then just 10 people etc.

Leave it up 24/7 for players that want to test specific things out on PTS before trying it on live server/

ya having the test server open over all the TZs would be good. As an Australian i really want to be able to test this smile

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Will these reactors be neut- and drainable? Also: will we be able to transfer energy with transferers?

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Line wrote:

Will these reactors be neut- and drainable? Also: will we be able to transfer energy with transferers?

Yes and yes, for all buildings that have an accumulator. But even the small reactor's accumulator is 17million AP in size, so you're gonna need a lot of robots to make an impact smile It's more feasible on smaller buildings, for example turrets. Technically you can even take the role of an energy transfer node with your robot, if you drain from one and transfer it to the other.

23 (edited by Tux 2012-04-02 00:42:38)

DEV Zoom wrote:

But even the small reactor's accumulator is 17million AP in size,

O.o that will take me about 30~ hours to neut dry !!!!

But srsly good work on the PBS system it is looking more promising everyday.

Tux ~ Kill the messenger, he was part of it all along.
Euripides ~ Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head.
Bertrand Russell ~ War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

DEV Zoom wrote:
Line wrote:

Yes and yes, for all buildings that have an accumulator. But even the small reactor's accumulator is 17million AP in size, so you're gonna need a lot of robots to make an impact smile It's more feasible on smaller buildings, for example turrets. Technically you can even take the role of an energy transfer node with your robot, if you drain from one and transfer it to the other.

really??? sweet so i know what to lock when im RRing smile might come in handy have a massive "battery" to drain tongue

17 mil ap...Jesus...Can I haz Destroyer version of Ictus kthx big_smile

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086