Topic: New devblog: The road to PBS: Terraforming

Today we're starting off a series of devblogs about our upcoming Player-Built Settlements system and its connected features. First up: Terraforming!

http://blog.perpetuum-online.com/posts/ … raforming/

2 (edited by Arga 2012-02-15 00:50:26)

Re: New devblog: The road to PBS: Terraforming

Fantastic! I'm starting a new thread to discuss .... things about it stuff related to the thingy -.-

Edit: I forgot to add, the screeny looks incredible and makes me want to industrialize the crap out of that pristene Island. smile

big +1

can you give a idea how long it would take to get the gamma islands and all that toys including pbs ready?
are we talking about weeks, months, years... ? just curious...

1. Blogpost missing media, like video where army of rivellers doing massive terraforming just to show possible scales of game. Its pity you not did it.

2. "should it consider unreachable areas, or should we leave it to the players to terraform their way to the new fields?" - Second one. If corp want to mine, it should hire agents with proper geoscan skills. If you consider unreachable areas, then  geoscanning extensions will be still useless and people will still scan land with trojars. If you will leave it to players: to dig your way to new field - players will had to train geoscanning extension to scan much more land, including unreachable areas nearby. I think its very important for geoscanning specialization at all.
Second reason: do not overcomplicate game with useless features, like wall decay mechanics or considering unreachable areas in ore generating process. Really.

3. NPC changes are very good start for a new AI mechanics. Im looking forward you make aggressive nians, who will assault your base from time to time. Also i would like to see NPC's what guarding your base, as nicsink and as additional level of defense.

4. Team terraforming with blueprints is awesome. Keep it up! Reminds me terraforming in Perimeter: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl … fv54#t=16s
Its very important to have FC functions for this complicated game.

Looking forward to see next devblog.

Arga wrote:

Fantastic! I'm starting a new thread to discuss .... things about it stuff related to the thingy -.-

Not meaning to be picky but what's wrong with this thread? big_smile

[14:15:15] <Freya Sabbat> ...Dear god, the Devs are as bad as us

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Arga wrote:

Arga being Arga? wink

How many gamma islands are there plans for?

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

DEV Gargaj wrote:
Arga wrote:

I'm trying to fluff up my post count .. -.-

And, the blog is about more then just terraform smile

ETA please.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think what they're trying to say in the dev blog is that they can add as many islands as the servers can run in a matter of minutes/hours with little to no input from the devs.

Click generate island, assign a name (Hardest part because I believe the names are held in the language folder), play.

Alexander wrote:
Obi Wan Kenobi wrote:

I think what they're trying to say in the dev blog is that they can add as many islands as the servers can run in a matter of minutes/hours with little to no input from the devs.

Click generate island, assign a name (Hardest part because I believe the names are held in the language folder), play.

ok ill put an order in for 8 Gamma Islands thanks & maybe a side of fries. No drink tho!

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

Now give us back the # of players online graph!
I've been following it for a long time. It seems to me the community is more active and growing, and once we get PBS and a bigger world, that will most likely both attract new players and bring back old ones. Would be nice to see how perp progresses big_smile

I dont think the graph serves any positive purpose for us players. In fact, it may even be detrimental. I know when I used to watch it, it was kind of disheartening to see the numbers and I never really felt an urge to login and see how things are.

Now that the graph is gone, I'm curious to know how bumping the game is and it's making me want to login more. I think not showing the graph is a good thing.

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I also like to follow statistics and I play when I feel like playing not when there is more people online. I think they took it off because of the DDOS attacks, but now that those days hopefully are over, can we turn it back on again please.

RIP PERPETUUM