1 (edited by Nightclaws 2012-01-02 17:20:21)

Topic: Idea for allowing limited access to owned outposts &increased beta pop

i could be wrong here, but i'm guessing the reason access to outposts that are owned is to prevent people from camping & waiting for a SAP to pop in the safety of the outpost.

what about allowing anyone to dock, but a 5 minute timer to conduct business (ie: pick up stuff that was in storage, place things on market, drop off in storage, and.....oh yea! MISSIONS...???
Then, when undocking, either by force with the timer, or voluntarily, a pvp timer (7 minutes i think it is?) so you can't redock to avoid pvp (possibly even remove protection).

would that work?, or is it something that would even be considered?

another idea for this, is charging a fee/tax for entrance, even with the above restrictions, maybe the fee/tax could be set by the owning corp

if we're trying to get beta more populated, why are we reducing the reasons for people to go to beta, i mean yes, i know there's a reason to goto beta for SAP's, but if you aren't that interested in pvp, but want to reap the benefits of beta (even though there's a risk of pvp) the incentives for going beta are, in their current condition, limited.

another idea i had for incentivising people to goto beta, would be (with the above idea of allowing limited access to outposts) to allow a corp to "sell" their buff for the island for an hour/2/4 whatever. the corp wins by more income, it incentivizes people to travel to beta, win-win

--side note, one of my favorite mmorpg games of all time was Ultima Online which had a similar setup with trammel (non-pvp) and felucia (pvp), when mining in felucia you got double the ore, there were powerscrolls, housing was cheaper, & many other reasons to lure non-pvp players into the pvp zones. and even though i didn't really participate much in the pvp, i always enjoyed the thrill of either "getting away" with my phat lewt's, & even when i was killed, the thrill of trying to get away was payment enough. at the moment there are a few reasons to go to beta as a non-pvp player, plants give 100 charges instead of 50, ninja-ing sap's, and missions in the main terminal. but once you finish the missions in the main terminal, if you aren't granted access or can't negotiate access with the owner, that reason goes away. plants are a good reason to enter, & epi is the only mining incentive. i'd love to see more incentives for non-pvp players to enter beta (this will give more prey for the pvper's as well so don't think i'm not thinking of you guys either lol)

plz let me know how lame i am for asking these,

smile

thanks again for your time.

Re: Idea for allowing limited access to owned outposts &increased beta pop

Nightclaws wrote:

i could be wrong here, but i'm guessing the reason access to outposts that are owned is to prevent people from camping & waiting for a SAP to pop in the safety of the outpost.

what about allowing anyone to dock, but a 5 minute timer to conduct business (ie: pick up stuff that was in storage, place things on market, drop off in storage, and.....oh yea! MISSIONS...???
Then, when undocking, either by force with the timer, or voluntarily, a pvp timer (7 minutes i think it is?) so you can't redock to avoid pvp (possibly even remove protection).

would that work?, or is it something that would even be considered?

another idea for this, is charging a fee/tax for entrance, even with the above restrictions, maybe the fee/tax could be set by the owning corp

if we're trying to get beta more populated, why are we reducing the reasons for people to go to beta, i mean yes, i know there's a reason to goto beta for SAP's, but if you aren't that interested in pvp, but want to reap the benefits of beta (even though there's a risk of pvp) the incentives for going beta are, in their current condition, limited.

another idea i had for incentivising people to goto beta, would be (with the above idea of allowing limited access to outposts) to allow a corp to "sell" their buff for the island for an hour/2/4 whatever. the corp wins by more income, it incentivizes people to travel to beta, win-win

smile

Very lame.........

Honestly you are just another TOG carebear that wants to be on beta but doesn't want to put any effort into it.....

Get off your collective butts and take an outpost. Then you can reap the rewards...

Inappropriate signature.

get green standing with outpost owner, then you have access.

limited for as long as the outpost owner doesnt kick you out again.

its not a matter of a game mechanic, its simply a matter of diplomacy. If noone wants you to trade on their outposts, they dont want it and dont need it...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

I like paying a tax, such as paying a tax per bad level, at Red you have to pay 500k to dock, at yellow 250k, Neutral 125K, Good, excellent freez.

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Ville wrote:

I like paying a tax, such as paying a tax per bad level, at Red you have to pay 500k to dock, at yellow 250k, Neutral 125K, Good, excellent freez.

thank you, yea those prices i think are reasonable and owning corp rakes in the dough

You can negotiate with corps already though.

Shaedys wrote:

You can negotiate with corps already though.

yes that "can" be done, but is it actually being done?, i asked and was just shot down, and really why would a corp allow someone permanant access to their outpost with a safe haven in such a short proximity to their sap's? the way the mechanics are now it seems there really isn't an incentive to allowing people to have access to their outposts other than just the kindness of their heart lol. (and there's your carebear, who'd want that?)

8 (edited by Annihilator 2012-01-02 20:02:00)

beta=
100% risk for intruder,
200% reward for outpost dweller,
0% consequences for killing anyone (friend or foe or neutral)

but you know, npc faction standing with consequences on alpha would be something very bad, i have been told.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

beta=
100% risk for intruder,
200% reward for outpost dweller,
0% consequences for killing anyone (friend or foe or neutral)

but you know, npc faction standing with consequences on alpha would be something very bad, i have been told.

Could somebody please translate this into English?  Google translate has failed me...

+1
-Confucius

Nightclaws wrote:

--side note, one of my favorite mmorpg games of all time was Ultima Online which had a similar setup with trammel (non-pvp) and felucia (pvp), when mining in felucia you got double the ore, there were powerscrolls, housing was cheaper, & many other reasons to lure non-pvp players into the pvp zones. and even though i didn't really participate much in the pvp, i always enjoyed the thrill of either "getting away" with my phat lewt's, & even when i was killed, the thrill of trying to get away was payment enough. at the moment there are a few reasons to go to beta as a non-pvp player, plants give 100 charges instead of 50, ninja-ing sap's, and missions in the main terminal. but once you finish the missions in the main terminal, if you aren't granted access or can't negotiate access with the owner, that reason goes away. plants are a good reason to enter, & epi is the only mining incentive. i'd love to see more incentives for non-pvp players to enter beta (this will give more prey for the pvper's as well so don't think i'm not thinking of you guys either lol)

smile

What you propose makes too much sense to be an acceptable direction for this game...

Unfortunately the forum is full of trolls and the devs hate the idea of giving individuals or small groups incentive to go out on beta.  For as long as I have played this game their attitude has effectively been this:

"You are having trouble getting something done? Well it's your fault for not being in a big enough blob.  This is not a solo game, go get a clan (or 3 more accounts) noob!"

+1
-Confucius

What you propose makes too much sense to be an acceptable direction for this game...

Unfortunately the forum is full of trolls and the devs hate the idea of giving individuals or small groups incentive to go out on beta.  For as long as I have played this game their attitude has effectively been this:

"You are having trouble getting something done? Well it's your fault for not being in a big enough blob.  This is not a solo game, go get a clan (or 3 more accounts) noob!"

The only thing you NEED from beta is Epi.  If you don't want to put the time or politics into owning a Beta outpost, or you can't find a current owner that wants you as a friend, then go to the 6 Alpha islands set aside for your security and enjoy the game there.

I like the idea stated above and don't see how that line of thought is in any way a negative as you are trying to slant it.

Buy your Epi, stop whining or make some friends.  Last time I checked an MMO stood for mult-player which means going solo is only going to take you so far.  It is getting old hearing players talk like they should be handed the only portion of the game that needs to be earned.  Go big, get friends, or stay on Alpha!

Takeo Prime wrote:

The only thing you NEED from beta is Epi.  If you don't want to put the time or politics into owning a Beta outpost, or you can't find a current owner that wants you as a friend, then go to the 6 Alpha islands set aside for your security and enjoy the game there.

I like the idea stated above and don't see how that line of thought is in any way a negative as you are trying to slant it.

Buy your Epi, stop whining or make some friends.  Last time I checked an MMO stood for mult-player which means going solo is only going to take you so far.  It is getting old hearing players talk like they should be handed the only portion of the game that needs to be earned.  Go big, get friends, or stay on Alpha!

+1

Steam achievement Unlocked:  Being a Badass
http://www.perp-kill.net/kill/239407
Dev Zoom: I think its time to confess, Ville is my alt
Dev Zoom: Ville can be sometimes so sane it's scary.

Takeo Prime wrote:

That's exactly my point.  There is never any economic incentive to take risks.  Even on beta you have to be v unlucky or *** to get ganked while mining.  Read what the OP wrote FFS.  He is asking for rewards in exchange for risk.  All the game is offering is things that can be done safely in a big group and are logistically unfeasible in smaller groups. 

Nevermind, lets all be friends and not fight eachother.  Lets sit in our outposts and move shiny boxes around.  Lets haul eachother's ores and loot from every can every day.  Lets gather around our saps for our twice daily singing of http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPrAHCOsNBQ
(its v good that one).

+1
-Confucius