Topic: The Hero from another World

Preview:

Phillip was from a Royal family that had been thrown from their home world some years ago. His grandmother started fresh on a slightly bigger world with heavier gravity than their had been but that didn't bother her or her offspring since they're abilities were far greater than needed here.

She married had children and grandchildren and soon had to make a decision, her family was all about territory and conquest, and having two young men in it that lived within sight of each other wasn't a problem, until they started maturing and girls started getting mentioned. Now they fought constantly and grandmother had to stop some serious fights that destroyed a good amount of their property once it got started.But she had a plan, and with the help of a friend she found a new place for her grandson, Phillip, his own world where he alone had this power and skill, and they worked to get him ready and sent him there. To a world of beauty and wonder with machines both mechanical and biological at once, and friendly people that would enjoy his company, while he protected them.

It was the best way, since he was coming of age soon, he needed his space and their world had someone to protect it, so it was settled, and he went away and started a new life, where they could watch over him and he, the people he came to love.:cool:

Re: The Hero from another World

Info you'll need to know...light machine gun = 20 mm/heavy machine gun = 50mm/ and heavy rifle = 100mm with a 6 shot clip for heavy mechs

medium mech = assault /Heavy mechas are a more modern version of ours here, with a pilot in each one and armor with bionic joints made from artificial tendons and muscles that give them fast maneuverability and human like reflexes.

Science: For the Masses

chapter 1: The Cutting Edge

Doctor Rita Solus was hard at work, hell, she always was. Her colleges were washed away by her long hours and many, sometimes unthinkable experiments, but when even the Science Council asked her what she was thinking she answered calmly: “Science is for the good of all, if we have to push things a little then that just means that we're in new territory.”

That answer didn’t always suit the council members that had a long list of rules and regulations they had to go by, so many of her experiments went unnoticed, thankfully, by them either out of her careful planning or from shear fear on their parts not to upset her. Her ideas had covered the spectrum from interstellar travel, many times faster than current ships, to calculations on what it would take to destroy the universe, and that one got her thrown out of the Council itself.

“Its not like I'm going to do it...” she complained as they threw her and her research material from her offices there,” I just thought someone might want to know.”

“Some things are better off not known.” was their answer as she looked sadly at them and went away. Now she had her own research labs, several actually, on different worlds with many long term experiments going on at a time. She made instruments that watched worlds from a distance, and she saw many new civilizations getting ready to join the Galactic Council with their technology, and she saw some that could, in the future if things went right, and she thought about giving them a push to get them started but had refrained from doing it so far.

“I'm in enough trouble now.” she thought and left it go for a while yet.

She looked at the time and decided she needed to return to her labs on Atria, she lived with a family there and they thought her experiments were just fine, and she tried hard not to upset them too much. It was nearly dinner time there and they'd be coming into her lab looking for her and at this moment she wasn’t even on the planet. She turned to her controls and opened a dimensional door and walked through it, and she was there, as she walked out the other side into her lab and checked to see, she was still a little early, so she turned on her scanners and looked around to see where everyone was and what they were doing.

The ladies of the house were getting dinner, as per usual and she saw them giving lessons in cooking to the youngest, Sara, as she was rapidly approaching adulthood and would be thinking about boys soon. It was a sort of Bridal training, and she smiled that she had grown so very much in the last few years.

Now on to the men and that was the easy part, there were only two... the family’s son and a cousin that always hung around together. They were working in the fields, raking and hoeing and making sure the family had lots of vegetables for their winter and she smiled.

This was the perfect people for her to be around. The family had been on this world for a few decades now, but had originated on another, far away. The grandmother was once a Queen on her world, but a greedy family member fixed that and when her husband died at their hands, she escaped to this new world, on the far side of the galaxy, and here she found new love and started a new family and her Royal heritage was forgotten , for now. But that was only the tip of the iceberg, this world was a heavy gravity world, perfect in every way except that it had several times the gravity of some of the more civilized worlds she had seen, but the air was pure and the land fertile and the people born here were strong, so terribly strong that she felt she had found a formerly forgotten experiment of someone else's, but she just smiled and watched over them as the men did their work and started back towards the house.

“You need to do more, your not doing your share.” she heard as the younger man looked at his older cousin with distaste for a second.

“I kept up with you, so what more do you want?” he demanded and the fight started from there and she shook her head. The two of them were always fighting about something and that wasn’t good, since their amazing strength meant something was going to be destroyed before it was over and she sent a small, round globe, a hologram of her face and she scolded them for fighting as they turned to see it floating there and they dropped the objects they were using and smiled.

“Hello Doctor,” Brian said as she smiled and nodded and he dropped the tree truck he had been swinging as if it were a twig, and she looked sourly at Phillip as he dropped a metal sign he was using as a shield,and apologized for getting into trouble again.”We promise, no more fighting, its dinner time anyways.”

“I swear, someday you'll kill each other, or destroy a good part of the planet.” she said as they both smiled, to hear her say that made them happy, that she thought they were so strong, being strong was all they lived for and she saw it clearly.

On their old world, their race were monsters with massive abilities and speed that rivaled the wind itself, so here these young ones were just learning their true potential. ”Now get back here and eat.” she said as they decided to race to the house and they were gone in the blink of an eye and she laughed at their antics, as young men they were exceptional all around and she never tired of watching them, but what she said was true, they grew more territorial all the time and she saw they needed some distance between them or they really would end up killing one another, or others nearby one day, and she saw that as the ultimate sadness for their massive strength, trying to subdue their raging emotions that popped up almost too often now that they were both becoming adults.

Chapter 2: Alphas

They were at the house in an instant and she walked out of her lab and sat down with the family at their table and they said grace and then started to eat. Brain said that the fields would be good for a while now and Phil agreed and their grandmother thanked them both for getting the job done quickly and they both smiled. Horsing around at the dinner table was forbidden and even at her age,something that was never brought up,she could stomp them both quickly, and had in the past.

“So, Brian what have you been up to lately, I've been away for a few days.”Rita said as he smiled and Phil rolled his eyes and said nothing.

“I helped the Garens build a new dam to save water for their fields. They normally run out of irrigation long before the hot weather is over.” he said as everyone agreed he had done well. “It wasn't a big job, the dam will cover about two acres when it finishes filling up.”

“But you helped others, that’s what counts.” His grandmother said as everyone nodded and he smiled, happy to please her when he could.

“I could have done that,” she heard as Phil looked deeply into his soup bowel and Brian gave him a sour look.

“I'm sure you could but they asked Brian and hes your elder.” she mentioned as he quickly looked up and gave her an evil look.

“He's only 1 year older than me, that’s not enough to worry about.” he demanded as Brian just smiled, he was old enough not to antagonize Grandmother and he sat there eating waiting for her anger to peak.

“One DAY older makes him older, and that’s something you can never change.” she said as he backed down and nodded he understood.

“You boys need to get out more, maybe a nice girlfriend would settle you both down.” Rita said as the men looked embarrassed and the ladies around the table got a good chuckle.

“Yes, Brian, Emily here comes over almost every day to help make meals and asks what all your favorite foods are, and I don’t think she does it because she likes being around us women.” Grandmother said as Emily tried to say that it wasn't true, she did enjoy their company, but it fell on deaf ears while they all got a good laugh. But Brian wasn't ready for that discussion yet and they all knew it and Phil sat there eating with a huge grin on his face, it was his turn to watch Brian getting harassed for a change.

“We're just friends you all know that.” He returned as Emily looked a little sad to hear it and even Phil saw it clearly.

“Coward,” He whispered as Brian jumped up from his chair and Grandma was right behind him and he stopped dead and slowly sat back down.

“Phil might have a point...this time.” she said as Brian looked shocked and she laughed as he sat back looking upset to have his manhood questioned.

“He'll be sixteen next month too,” he returned as Phil just smiled, he wasn’t the one on trial here, but he knew his time would come.

“Oh, we know don’t worry,” Grandmother said again, as Phil looked up and the room was now looking at him and he just smiled.

“I like girls so don’t worry,as a matter of fact if Emily gets tired waiting I could help fill in the time until Brian grows up.” he said as Brian took that poorly and he demanded that Phil take it back and stay away from Emily when he wasn’t around.

“Well now, what have we here?” He heard as he sat back down embarrassed and Emily smiled as his protective nature came out.

“I'll wait,” she whispered as the room gave a loud “Ahhhh” and Brian smiled a big smile as they sat looking at each other out of the corner of their eyes and Rita saw that their time was coming soon.

“I think it would be good for Phil and Brian to spend some time apart, they need some extra space until they settle down more.” Rita said as they both nodded agreement and looked surprised that they agreed on anything.

“That might be difficult, considering.” She heard and she understood. They were both amazingly strong and fast,they ran faster than some vehicles she had seen on other worlds, and keeping them apart for a while pretty much had to come at their consent, since they could travel anywhere they wanted in a matter of minutes.

“But it might be necessary.” Grandma Helen said sourly.

That was the end of that talk as they all sat and ate and Rita went back to her lab to work and sat back watching over some distant worlds and smiled at their continuing development. There were so many good worlds out there and she was happy she took the time to build this machine. It's incredible range and power made even her feel satisfied for a while and that took something.

“Can we talk?” she heard as she turned to see the family Matriarch walking up and she smiled and nodded towards her.

“Queen Helen, of course we can, any time you wish.” she said as Helen smiled wide.

“Not Queen any longer, just Helen,” she insisted but Rita knew better, her world was in turmoil and they would gladly take her back. “About what we talked about at the table, is there something we can do about it?” she asked as Rita’s mouth fell open, she was asking her to separate the boys? It was possible of course but what she was asking might be more than even she understood.

Chapter 3: Relocation

“That...” Rita started, “could be a problem.”

“Surely there are other worlds where one or the other could live happily.” Helen asked as Rita nearly fainted, she really was asking her the impossible, at least in her mind.”Let me explain...they are both living happily right now but as Alpha males in our family, they will soon be thinking about female companions. On my world the males are born only 1/100 compared to women, so this is the way of things. They take a harem and live happily making other women and men to keep the family going, but they are too close together here and this world is not home to us. The rules are different and harems will definitely be frowned on. Brian has accepted this and has chosen, I believe, a female and she him but Phillip is much like me, he has all the families heritage inside him, and he will not settle so easily.” She said as Rita nodded she understood.

“Brian’s power is still getting stronger and someday he will be the chosen champion of this world and he will help and protect it. What I am asking is this...can we find a world for Phillip that he will be happy on, and safe as well?” Helen asked as she waved towards the machine Rita was watching and she smiled and nodded they could, if they took their time.“Then let us begin.”

They spent a week going over different worlds and a few popped out at possibilities. But Rita dismissed a few as too primitive and Helen dismissed a few as too warlike. They worked looking for the best combination of their ideals and good technology, and soon they settled on one small world on the underside of the galactic core.

“Planet Gemini...” Rita said showing their culture and machines. “ They have good technology, mostly based on a strange gas-like substance that is emitted by the planet. It powers everything for them even the war machines they use in battle. They have several types but nothing too impressive to us, the most impressive is the robot armor suit, nearly 20 feet tall, it is a combination of both machine parts and organic parts, it literally is a living machine. To get it to work, they need people with strong wills, and the natural gas on the planet causes a spiking in their natural mental abilities, so they use this is a control mechanism.” She went on as Helen listened and nodded from time to time.

“They believe that pilots with this rare ability should be honored and through this a sort of class has emerged, they call this the Pilots Class, or 'Geminists' Meaning someone who controls the world. They also saw long ago that only a tiny handful of men can withstand the pressure of mentally running these machines and those that have low resistance, will find themselves getting physically ill very quickly if they try to force themselves, so they are all tested and trained according to their abilities, but women rule as pilots there, and men with any good amount of mental power are sought after and bred as champions.” Rita went on as Helen smiled widely, it sounded perfect.

“And can Phil use these machines easily?” Helen asked as Rita ran some tests and smiled back at her.

“How well do you want?” she asked as they both laughed and it was done. They set up a plan and Rita watched the planet for a few more days and added some little touches of her own. After all this was as close to family as she had ever found and her 'nephew' wasn’t going to be just anyone on this new world, she'd see to that.

“Phillip, come here,” Rita called as he walked in asking what she needed. She sat him down and slid over a tray full of test equipment and he rolled his eyes, it seemed like he was going to be her experiment again today and he sat there looking thoroughly bored as she took some blood and added something to it and injected him with it again, and then scanned him for results.

“I have work,” he insisted but she made him sit, and in a few minutes his grandmother walked in and took Rita to the side for a second.

“Hows it going?” she asked as Rita smiled and nodded and said it was doing well, and she leaned in close for a minute to whisper to her.”I want his memory wiped, not all but he needs to think he's a real native to this new world.” she said as Rita looked sad she could do that.

“And family?” she asked as Helen smiled wide.

“Just his memory of this world, I wouldn’t want to have him forget us forever, or the rest of his family here, just 'confuse' his memory’s of where 'home' is. We'll watch him from here and when the time is right, we'll tell him the truth.” She said as Rita smiled, so all she wanted was for him to feel at home there and she agreed.

“An hour or so yet,” she whispered as Phil looked around at them standing there staring at him.

“Am I in trouble?” he asked as they both laughed and he felt better for a minute but the tests, and scans, went on and soon he felt like he had enlisted in the military, since he had a lot of questions and no one was answering any of them.

Chapter 4: Safe for the Future

The last thing Phil remembered was seeing a flashing light, and Rita talking to him about things he didn’t understand, until he did, and then a blinding light that made him sleepy. He awoke in a huge room, with finery on the walls and statues all around. The bed he was on was hard and cold and he still felt too tired to move and he dozed back off for a few more minutes, as a man in long flowing robes walked in and his mouth dropped nearly to the floor. There, laying on the Royal Alter was a young man, asleep but otherwise alive and the old priest looked up at the statue of the Holy Queen and asked what this meant, and slowly Phillip awoke and saw people standing watching over him and he smiled and asked where he was, and they dropped down and bowed to him.

“It's a sign, in a few days we'll have a new Queen and now...a messenger from God.” He heard as he laughed and said he was no messenger just another citizen of the world, but they wouldn’t hear of it, and after testing his DNA they were even more convinced since it showed strong abilities that many of them didn’t have.

“He's no messenger,” The Prime Minister of Glen said looking over his records and smiling. “He's a holy warrior, sent to help us conquer all those other countries that refuse to bow to our will.”

“But the Queen refuses to start a war, she wants to make peace with everyone and she has friends almost everywhere helping her.” One officer standing nearby said as Prime Minister Garish gritted his teeth, she might be Queen today but he had plans too and her rein might be the shortest in history.

“She's a Queen in name only, I rule here,” He said seriously as the young officer looked a little surprised he could say that right out loud. “and I'll be number two to no one, do you hear?!”

The officer bowed to him and that made him happy for now, and he sat back waiting, with this new asset, and his military friends, all he would do was wait for her coronation, and then she'd have a little accident, and according to the law, he would assume command until a new monarch could be appointed,and there were none, as she was an only child,and his family would step up and become the new monarchy, and he would be their first king.

Phil didn’t know what was happening, exactly, but he was being treated well, and he approved of that. They gave him a nice place to sleep and then started training him to see what he was capable of and he found it all fun and they found his abilities frightening. He had the strength of many men combined and his speed and accuracy in battle conditions was becoming legendary. He had a good time too, these robot suits nearly had a will of their own, they could stand and sit and even had a 'sleep mode' when not in use and the pilot gave them their instructions and only the strength of the pilots will seemed to limit their abilities. Phil thought it was all very interesting and the people who worked with him every day started to like his easy going nature and he made friends.

Report after report made its way back to the Prime Minister and he got happier and happier, this was just too amazing and he saw his war ending quickly, with him becoming King of their world. This new man, barely more than a boy,was the key and he still made sure that other military officers and their subordinates were on his side as well, and using Phil as a threat made a few stubborn people change their minds. He was in his glory and his ego jumped to new heights, and he started acting like he had already won, and some people saw it from not too far away.

Cybil Moro watched the intelligence reports deep into the evening and she didn’t like what she saw. Garish was getting ready and she was sad to see it. It would happen soon, very soon, and she watched over the Princess day and night as her personal bodyguard and she made a few calls, late at night and started the wheels turning on an escape plan of their own.

Not more than a Geminist Trainee herself, they had been raised together and became not only friends but they relied on each other day and night. Cybil was trained from a young age in martial arts and robot controls and she was certainly no pushover by any means, and she took her job seriously, and even Garish had to know he hadn’t much time before she caught on, and that made her even more serious about protecting the Princess.

A ship was readied and as the day of the ceremony came, they stood there in front of the entire nation, watching as Princess Katherine became Queen Katherine the First and the masses cheered, not even aware that her life was now in more danger than before. The feast was a lavish affair and she made sure that she said the right things when the news people asked her questions. They all knew her position well, peace above all else and all the trimmings, as a long list of things she planned for were mentioned. Better training for the military, new machines for defense, and better medical and educational research to help the future generations of their world, and they applauded her insight and enthusiasm for a girl of merely 16, but even some standing there asking questions knew the truth and she wouldn’t be Queen for long with her peaceful ways of thinking and they silently had hoped she would be more serious about her own safety and start getting her friends together for the power struggle that was sure to follow.

A few hours later they were settling into their beds for the night and Cybil made the rounds, and checked the intelligence reports one last time, and there it was...her personal guards were being replaced for the night shift at midnight, with guards she had never even heard of or seen. It was starting, and she ran to the bedrooms and woke those that had fallen asleep already, and had a shuttle waiting as the Queens personal servants and security staff ran to get on board. It was now 11:30 and the enemy was on the way, and they flew at best speed to the ship, the robot carrier Franklin, and got on board and launched with Kate standing on the deck next to Admiral Hastings demanding immediate launch and the little Captain of the Guard bowed immediately and opened the gates of the city as the massive ship slipped away into the night.

Chapter 5: Power Struggle

The Franklin laid in a course that left them use the natural power source known as Alo to run the ships systems almost indefinitely. They'd fly from valley to valley and special channels that were man-made to keep a steady flow of the heavy gas entering the engines vents. It was an efficient way of doing things and very cheap over the long run helping them not only stay aloft, but speed towards their destination well above the forests below,but they had barely escaped the city limits when alarms went off, and they found they were being pursued.

Phil was dragged out of bed by alarms and he got dressed and ran to the deck to see what was going on, and there stood the Prime Minister very full of himself and demanding perfection from everyone at once. Phil had not met the man personally and didn’t know why he was here now but it was soon to be made clear as they got a briefing that a terrorist group allied with the new Queen had stolen a battleship and was trying to escape with it.

“I want them dead, every single one, no exceptions..” he went on as one older officer raised his hand to ask a question, but was slammed down immediately and told to shut up. “You are soldiers there should be no questions just action!” he demanded as Phil decided that he really didn’t like this man much so he stepped forward and asked the one question they all were wondering about himself.

“Surely if they are allied with the new Queen this isn’t an attack. Why don’t we just ask her why this is happening?” he said as many there mumbled agreement.

“You don’t answer to the Queen you answer to ME!” he demanded again as a few people there looked a little surprised. He was all but declaring himself her superior and they had just watched her  coronation as their new Queen, something was terribly wrong.

“I see,” Phil said seriously as Garish looked a little shocked , he expected unquestioning allegiance and he wasn’t getting it, and that bothered him.

“Anyone who doesn’t follow my orders will be shot,” he said finally as two soldiers stepped forward with machine guns in hand,” and then their families will be shot for their insubordination.”

Phil could see it now, this mans fear, he needed absolute obedience and without it he would fail, so this threat was no laughing matter.

“Well it looks like its time to get some target practice then.” Phil said with a huge grin and Garish smiled widely, he had won this round but he'd remember that Phil was the only one strong enough to step forward and question his orders, and he'd pay for it later.

They ran to their bots and jumped in and as the hatch closed around him, Phil's big smile faded and he took control of the machine and turned to go as his unit joined in behind him.

“Remember, not a single survivor, or your family’s will pay.” they all heard and Phil's minor dislike for this man jumped to new heights and he started seeing that he and his friends were just going to be used and thrown away after the job was done, and he had a good idea what this job REALLY was.

They launched and flew towards the large ship and when they approached it was easy to see two robots standing on the deck armed with heavy rifles and they opened fire as soon as they got close enough, but Phil held back while the rest of his team ran in and got hit with weapons fire.

“Can we just talk about this?” he called as a coms link came on and the Admiral's face looked very tense indeed.

“There's nothing to talk about, your attacking the Queen and her personal ship!” he declared as Phil's eyes dropped in sadness, he thought as much.

“It appears that we were lied to,” He called as two of his fighters stopped for a second a safe distance away from the ship but two others demanded the attack go on.”we were told that the ship was being stolen by terrorists.”

“Do I look like a terrorist to you?” he heard as he looked up to see a young blond woman standing there looking very serious indeed.

“Queen Katherine I presume? I'm sorry I wasn’t allowed to come to your coronation..” he started as a voice came on the coms link.

“Kill her, kill them all or your family’s will suffer.” they all heard as many turned back towards the ship and started their attack once more, but Phil took careful aim and fired a shot to disable one machine and then turned on another, making sure not to do anything life threatening as they dropped away from the battle. “Your dead, I don’t care if you were sent from the Goddess herself, your a dead man and your family with you!”

“I have no family here,and as a representative of the Church, I strongly doubt that you have the right to command me, oh Traitor of Glen.” He said as even Queen Katherine looked surprised.

“A messenger of the Goddess? How is that possible?” she asked as Phil got a quick laugh.

“I think that explanation can wait just a little longer,my Queen.” he said as a few shots went zinging by his bot and he was forced to defend himself against his own men, but he was careful too, and all the bots he disabled saved the women inside from possible death, and even the Prime Minister couldn’t hold it against anyone that lost a battle if they did their best, or at least he hoped not.

Chapter 6: New Alliances

The battle went on for a few minutes more and finally all the enemy bots were disabled or destroyed and Phil was left flying along next to the carrier and they had to make a decision what to do, and the Queen decided that he had shown his true intentions and he was left land and she had some drinks and snacks readied for their big late night talk about who he was and where he came from.

“Impossible!” Cybil declared as Katherine smiled widely. It was a lot to consider at once, but to awaken on their world on the High Churches Alter made all the difference, as at the sound of it,even some maids and servants dropped to the floor and bowed to him, and she saw that his help would be greatly needed.

“So, that makes you...what?” she asked as a few of her advisers stepped forward to whisper to her until she agreed. “Let's call you, Phillip the Inquisitor, since you came in time to save me and my people from a murderous attack, and the Church seems very willing to accept you from what I've seen so far.”

“Just Phillip will do, your majesty.” He added as she smiled but waved it away, pomp and circumstance were important in matters of state and she wanted as big a title as they could legally approve.

“Inform the Church that Phillip is with us and has chosen to support the Queen.” Cybil said as a member of the maid service ran from the room to make the call. “And someone get a room ready for him, it looks like he'll be staying a while.”

She didn’t sound too happy about it, but she had seen with her own eyes his skills and being outcasts from their own country, for now, they needed the  help of this rare male pilot.

“I am the Queens personal protector, and I will not allow someone to approach her until they satisfy ME that they can be trusted and that they're skills are good enough to serve her.” she declared as Kate looked surprised but after a minute she approved it, and they stepped into the middle of the great room and Cybil struck a pose and made ready to fight as Phil stood there, unmoved and asked her if this was necessary, and his answer was her sudden and furious attack, hitting him along the head and driving him over backwards onto the carpeting.

He got back up slowly and looked at the Queen who seemed mildly amused by all this and asked if it was necessary once more as Cybil bounded in, this time to find her target no where in sight, and before she could turn he reached out and squeezed her breast from behind as she screamed and jerked away from him.

“Now, wasn’t that better than getting hit?” he asked as she whipped around giving him a stare that would kill and he started to laugh. As even the Queen looked shocked.

“No man has EVER touched me there, for that, you'll die...” she said and rushed him again but it happened again, and after the third time she saw that when he wanted, she had no chance against him and he was just doing this to upset her and make light of her weakness.

“Would you STOP DOING THAT!” she screamed as by now the Kate was rolling in the isles laughing, and Cybil was beyond furious and  gasping for breath while Phil seemed cool and composed, showing no sign of tiring at all.

“It's very late, I suggest we get a good nights sleep and then the Captain can try again if she wants.” Phil said as even Kate agreed while Cybil was ranting on about not being done with him yet, and Phil was led away to his room and she sat down looking totally embarrassed and upset.

“You have to know by now...” Kate started after Phil had left the room,” that was his way of being nice, if he wanted he could have killed you three times over.”

“I know...that’s what upsets me the most.” Cybil said sourly as they both started to laugh. “He's very skilled, the pervert.”

“And he's on our side, lets just be happy with that, you'll get a chance to see him in action again soon enough, just keep an eye on him and lets see what happens.” Kate said and added, ”so how was it?” at that Cybil fumed some more as they both finally went to bed and the carrier ran towards their first stop, the country of forests, or Glade, and a meeting with the king about what was happening and to gather some supplys they hadn’t time to get before they left home.

Two days later,and they came into Glades outer perimeter and were met by 4 flying robots and escorted to their capitol. There they docked and guards were placed to watch their ship while the Admiral asked for some supplys and Kate and Phil, went to see the King with Cybil following close behind.

“Garish,that fool...” the King John said softly as Kate waited and he shook his head slowly thinking it all over. “he must be insane to think he'll get away with ceasing the throne, we'll support you of course, this will be a short war, I'm sure.”

“Thank you, we're hoping if we gather enough support he'll see the error in his ways and give up.” Kate said as King John smiled and looked away, she was as naïve as he had heard, Garish was in this for the duration and many would lose their lives because if it.

“I'll see that your ship is repaired and resupplied at once.” he offered as Kate thanked him and she saw someone else walking towards them.

“Princess Cara, good to see you again.” she said as the tall girl gave her a sweet smile and shook her hand.

“Now that the official talks are over, come, we have much to discuss, its been ages since your last visit.” she said with a huge grin as both Kate and Cybil nodded and started away leaving Phil standing there with the King.

“They were always the best of friends...” he commented, waving to a chair,as Phil smiled and said nothing, “I hear some good things about you, you joined the Queen after being recruited by the Prime Minister himself, that couldn’t have gone well.”

“He expected too much too soon.” Phillip said as the King looked at him seriously and his files finally got handed for him to see. He was glancing over them with wide open eyes when he asked something to fill time.

“Too much too soon, in what way?” he asked and without a pause Phil smiled and looked away.

“He expected instant respect and admiration, that’s something my family has always taught were earned not freely given.” he said as he sat back drinking his tea and the King slowly looked up at him with a new appreciation that he seldom felt for young people.

Chapter 7: Friends

“That's exactly true,no one should expect respect without earning it, we seem to agree on that.” King John said as Phil just sat back smiling. The King sat there for a few minutes more then laid the notepad down and smiled. If even half what that said was true, then he was in the presence of a new religious icon, but he'd have to wait and see if any of it was true or not.

“You know...” started the king as Phil looked up from his tea, “we are having a festival soon, tomorrow actually, and we'll be doing a remake of our favorite game, the long distance obstacle course. It's a  little dangerous for most newcomers, but if you'd like to join I can make the necessary arrangements.”

“What's it like?” Phil asked without hesitation and King John smiled widely. He explained that it took place in 4 different and separate parts of the forest, and each part got progressively harder up to one that had checkpoints, armed guards and traps for the careless.

“I will say a few people have been hurt by some of our traps, its not for the untrained.” he added and waited while Phil thought it over and finally he said he'd love to and the king called in his adviser and had his name added to the list.

“But your Majesty...” the man said as King John waved him away.

“It'll be fine,” he remarked as the man took the information and went his way. Phil could see that something odd was happening but he left it go until after when no one was around and he leaned in towards the king as he sat his empty cup down.

“I cant help but feel there's something more at stake here,” he said softly as the king smiled, he had good instincts at least.

“I'll be taking part in the race myself and, as with other races we've had, if anyone can beat me, then they get my daughters hand in marriage, and become Royalty here in Glade.” he said with a slight wink as Phil looked surprised.

“You'd risk so much?” Phil asked almost not expecting an answer.

“Only someone who's capable of beating ME is worthy of my daughter.” King John said seriously, and Phil smiled and nodded he understood, “but as you can see I'm not feeble yet...and I've never been beaten.”

Phil smiled and agreed, the man was very well made, strong and tall, with good muscle tone, undoubtedly he worked out constantly and with the odd exception of larger than average and somewhat pointy ears, he and his people looked all the part of the healthiest civilization Phil had yet seen. Perhaps it was living the simple life out here in the forest or maybe it was genetic, but everyone he had seen out here looked like that, like tall, strong elves or something but certainly not weak by any ones standards.

“I get offers all the time, for my daughters hand in marriage,” John said leaning in as Phil smiled, “but none could beat me and they knew it. Politics is fine but family is forever, and Cara is a beautiful girl much like her mother was at her age,” He said sliding into a daydream for a second,” I'll not give her up to just anyone.”

“Well said, like a good father should.” Phil said as John smiled and offered him more tea just as the girls came back into the room.

“I hope my father hasn’t been boring you with politics,” Cara said as Phil gave her a good look for the first time, and she seemed to notice as Cybil walked quickly over and slapped him to make him stop staring and answer, and he smiled and shook his head.

“He's a good host, and he offered me a place on the race team tomorrow, it sounded like fun so I accepted.” he added as Cara looked around at her father with some embarrassment.

“But father that’s for Glade natives only, as you've said in the past.” she said looking a little shocked but he just smiled and handed her Phil's files to see and as she looked her eyes popped open in shock.

“I decided to make an exception in this case.” John said as even Kate got a huge grin. It seemed his reputation had preceded him, and she couldn’t wait for the games tomorrow, she might even make a little wager, considering what was at stake and who was entering. In the last 5 running’s of the Great Race, no one had beaten the king and for good reason, he had his daughter to protect, and while Cara was a full grown woman now at the age of 18, she had never had or even dated a man, because of her fathers strict policies about there not being anyone worthy of her.

“I expect a good race tomorrow so I'll have someone take you through today so you can see for yourself,” The king added as Phil nodded ok..”and any questions you have they will answer, so please feel free to ask them anything.” he added as a team of men took Phil and left as the room full of people watched on.

“But father, he's not even one of our men,” Cara said seriously as John laughed and she looked embarrassed.

“He's young, strong and a religious icon, not to mention perhaps the strongest man I've ever met, short of me of course.” he said as even Kate and Cybil got a good laugh but Cara was beyond laughter right now, her entire life was on the line and she wasn’t sure she liked it.

“He's also a kind, smart and gentle man,” John went on repeating what he had learned sizing Phil up while they talked,”if he has what it takes, then perhaps the Goddess sent him here for you, since you've been so lonely here with me stopping you from finding anyone, maybe even that was for a reason.”

“We'll see...” was all she would say and John sat back smiling. He had seen her give Phil a good long look as well, he was handsome in a way, not as tall as them, but not bad, and she had been waiting a long time,perhaps he had been wrong by being so harsh on her or maybe, just like he had said, there was a higher power at work.

Chapter 8: The Race for the Crown

Phillip was up really early the next day walking around the town and letting himself be seen, as Kate had asked of him.

“The men here are tall, a good bit taller than you, walk around a little and let them see you, I think that might help us later if you win.” she had said and Phil didn’t mind he liked the town and the people and they seemed to like him as well. He stopped at a stand that was getting set up for the festival and got a drink and said how very good the beverage was.

“That’s made from the finest Toma root, they're hard to find but definitely worth it for taste.” he was told and they stood for a while, him and the man running the booth and talked about this root that made such fine drinks and finally Phil noticed the time and started back towards the castle and the starting point of the race.

Kate was there with Cybil sitting in the stands next to the Royal box seats and Cara sat there dressed in her forest finery as not only Phil and the King but also more than 50 other men lined up there ready for the race.

“Now remember, anyone getting hurt during the race, return to the main path and call for help, there are medics standing by several places around the track, and someone will come and assist you. Also, any players that see a injured person, make sure the nearest medic gets there to help them, you needn’t stop the race just wave them the right way,understood?” the judge said as everyone agreed. They had a young man step forward, above the path on a platform and raised what looked like an antique gun towards the sky and fired a shot, and even before the sound echoed away the race was on and every man was out of sight.

“Do you think they'll be alright?” Cara asked from her seat next door as Kate just laughed, holding up several betting tickets, as Cara smiled back.

“I think they'll be just fine.” she said as she raised her binoculars and tried to see where the racers were now, but they were just too far away and she checked the time, the race usually took 2 hours and they had lots of time to go. “Cybil we've got time, lets get something good to eat.” and they left the stands for a while to get some of the good food the booths had to offer, but Cara just sat there, staring down the path wondering who would be the first to return, and if it would change her life forever.

King John was all alone now, there was no one even close to him as he looked back and smiled. The regulars had all but given up beating him but today he had a new competitor and he was anxious to see him and what he could do, but it seemed he had outdistanced him already and he felt disappointed in some small way but glad that he hadn’t believed the reports of his super human strength and wanted to see for himself. He obviously was not the man for Cara after all and he felt confident she'd be with him for many years yet until someone good enough came along.

He turned and took off again and soon was at the first checkpoint and they ask him if he wanted anything to drink and he waved it away.

“Maybe when the Inquisitor comes by he'll be ready for some.” he said chuckling but the man there just nodded saying he did have a drink as the kings eyes popped.

“When did he go by here?” he demanded as the man opened the list to see and showed him the report, 5 minutes ago, 5 minutes faster than even the king had run so far and he saw he had taken his own skill for granted and he took off after him at top speed.

“Damn it damn it damn it...”: The King kept thinking, he was so confident that he had left his rival get the better start and he felt like a young man just staring out in training being abused right off the bat by an old master but he knew better than that, this man was very young compared to him and he still got the advantage over on him and that made him feel even worse. Now he forced himself to make it up and ran like a wild man through the rest of the course and soon saw the finish line coming and no one was already there, and he smiled while he fell across the line and the judges called him the winner.

“Wheres the Inquisitor?” he demanded as Cara ran down to meet him and said that Phil had not yet made it this far. “Impossible... he was ahead of me the whole race!” he demanded as he had checked every checkpoint and they confirmed that he was second all the way, but a minute later as he was catching his breath the address system came on saying that Phil was approaching the finish line and John turned to see him come running up, carrying a large flopping root laid across his shoulders and the crowd went into shock.

“Be right back,” he said and continued over to the drink booth and handed the big root to the man there who thanked him profusely while even the King looked on in disbelief. “sorry I took a break in the middle of the race but I offered to get this guy some Toma root while I was in the forest, so that made me a trifle bit late getting back.”

“You ***,” he heard as Kate came running over and started beating on him with her fists, still clenching the many betting tickets she had bought.”Do you know what you've done?”

“Of course, I ran a good race with the King, and came in second, as it should be after all, he's helping US right and I felt we should be grateful not ignorant about it, and as far as Princess Cara goes...” he said waving towards her while her father stood there smiling. “I believe that people should get to know one another before getting married, not just jumping into something because someone else told you too.”

With that the King seemed to choke a second but everyone laughed and John walked over all smiles.

“Well said, but you know as I do that you won this race,” he said loudly as Kate cheered and the judge seemed a little confused. “For a man to be ahead of me the ENTIRE race, take no damage from traps and then stop to gather Toma root and STILL come in second..” he said with a loud laugh as everyone nearby did too. “you my friend are the winner so ask whatever you desire and it will be given to you.”

“I wish... that we will be friends, now and forever, and that you help Kate regain her country from her rivals and see she gets her wish of peace.” Phil said as everyone cheered and John laughed and agreed.

“Just to make it clear though ,” John said softly as he pulled Cara closer and her face went red, “ you didn’t refuse my daughter as your wife yet,right? Your decision wasn’t because you didn’t find her attractive was it?” he asked as her face looked like it would burst into flames as everyone chuckled at her expense.”

“Oh my no....” Phil said softly as even Cara smiled in return, “I never said that, I just said we needed time to get to know each other... after that, well, we'll see.”

With that they all cheered and Kate got her winnings even if Phil ran across the line second, and that was going to help her later on. She had certain things she liked to do,and to ask her friends for everything just wasn’t her style, so these winnings as well as some others later, would help her keep stocked up on personal items and give her some fun from time to time when someone thought they could challenge Phil again.

heres a Christmas gift...more chapters..

Chapter 9: Messenger

A few days later and Kate saw Cara getting some bags ready for a trip.

“Going somewhere?” she asked as Cara looked surprised she could say that.

“Vacations about over, we need to get back to the school right? We only have a few days to report.” Cara reminded her but Kate just wasn’t in the mood for school right now.

“I have a war to plan for, I cant afford time off for school.” Kate argued as Cara nearly laughed at her, she always hated school and getting her to return after summer break was always hard.

“Let planning the war up to father, he's good at it, you need to concentrate on looking like a real Queen being honored and being respectful of your elders, things the people would expect.” she said as Kate looked more upset by the minute but she had to agree.

“It will take a long time to gather support from other country’s, and there might still be people willing to follow me back home, and we need to get messages to them.” she said but she knew this was not her expertise.

“Already done, father is doing his best for you and you need a safe place to stay while the planning goes on, and with the Geminists Training Camp there, and over 20 working robots at any one time, that’s the safest place for us all. It has the firepower of a small country.” Cara said as even Kate had to admit that no one in their right minds would attack the school and she finally agreed.

“I'll have my things sent to your ship, we can take that to the University, they have docking even for ships of that size.” she mentioned as Kate agreed and a servant took her bags away. “ and besides, the Church runs the School, and they have their own military, and no one will dare cross them. Not to mention they have sent messages asking how soon we’ll get there, they want to have some sort of ceremony for Phillip, they seem to have some formal proceedings they must do there before he can attend.”

“The Church, of course... I almost forgot about them.” Kate said looking sad as Cara smiled, she better not forget, she might think Phillip was her personal property but he was first and foremost a high ranking member of the Church and this Naming Rite would prove just how high up he was considered to be.

“Your right, I'm sorry,” Kate said finally as Cara smiled, she did it, managed to remind her that school was about to start, so now they just needed to get the ritual over with and then they all could get back to a more normal life.

They left later that afternoon and was docking at the school a day later. The band played and Kate got off to cheers in her Royal best. She thanked them for supporting her in her hour of need and many cheered and yelled that they'd support her forever, but that was just the people talking. Friends she had known since she started school here, the real power was the Church and they held power over everything and seeing this little gathering, offering her help and good will, meant the church supported her too, at least to a certain extent, and that meant a lot to her. The real surprise was when Phil walked off the ship with Cara next to him, and servants carrying their bags. It became known immediately that he had gotten her hand from her father and that made him a Prince as he walked off the ship for the first time. The Church representatives were right there, with a greeting party and welcomed him 'home' and he thanked them and they opened a document to announce their findings and the name they had accepted for him. The speaker looked at the pages of parchment making it a big deal that this was an official announcement and then read.

“The Church of Gemini has thought long and hard on our new messenger and what his name might mean or what his place is in the Church, we researched names of visitors from the past and found many that were named for what they were meant to do here, and so after much consideration...we decided that the name given him by Queen Katherine of Glen should stand, ladies and gentlemen, Phillip the Inquisitor, High Priest of the Church of Gemini, Prince of Glade and Messenger of the Goddess.” He said with a flare as Phillip all but burst into laughter but he saw people were serious and he held it in. The band played music and the Representative gave him a medal like decoration for his cloths showing the icon the Church used on everything, and sighed sadly at the cloths he was wearing.

“I'll see to it you get proper attire for school and ceremonies.” he whispered as Phil wondered what was wrong with his normal cloths, but he thanked him and they shook hands to the cheers and music from the waiting crowd. Phil just hoped they could shorten that name up a bit, or he'd never get anything done at school.

After the ceremony, Cara went her way to get her room ready before classes started and Phil was taken away by members of the churches High Council, they asked him questions and tested and retested him and finally seemed ok that he was the real deal and they set him up in a small house with servants just off the side of the campus and he asked why he wasn’t in the dorms like everyone else.

“Unthinkable!” He was told,” first your Royalty in the Church and with your job of  Inquisitor you have much to do outside of class. The last Inquisitor changed the Church forever and weeded out crooked priests and officials everywhere he went, making the Church more humble to its surroundings and much more efficient, since many of those were scamming the church for their own needs. Not to mention, that some might try and harm you to stop your work, and this way no one is in the way of these attacks but you, and we have faith that you can defend yourself easily.”

Phil nodded and tried not to worry, they basically gave him his own little mansion so that he didn’t  get others tangled up in his 'work' and while he never said he was here to clean up the church, they seemed to think it needed it, so he just left it go.

A few doors down,Kate and Cybil were also getting settled in, as a Queen she also had a small mansion to live in, the government wouldn’t have it any other way. The 'commoners' that attended the school had someone to look up to, and they had people that they could show their skills to and possibly get jobs with after graduation. As Geminists they would be the first line of defense in any war and country’s the world over needed skilled people, and this school was front and center for those skills.

Chapter 10: Acceptance

Classes started a few days later and as the students walked from class to class they stopped often to see the local 'celebrities' on campus. First was the Queen of Glen, Kate walked around with her head held high and her bodyguard by her side, sporting a small but always shiny sword that only she and a few others like her were allowed to carry here.

Next was Princess Cara of Glade, with her picturesque form and tall slender body she always wore the nicest looking cloths and some a lot more revealing than many here dared to wear. She was the epitome of grace and unstoppable even in sports where her people excelled above all others. Forest people were incredible athletes and she was no exception, and physical education classes were always packed by onlookers who just wanted a glimpse of her as she made everyone else look weak by comparison.

And now the newest celebrity, the Inquisitor, a small young man less tall than Cara but still well built. His abs and shoulders rippled with power and while he didn’t look too massively strong, he could do things that put just about everyone to shame, as they found out during his first physical education class.

The teacher had asked for everyone to come to the field and they gathered and lined up. He saw the new student and since he had no clue what Phil was capable of, he had him come forward to test his abilities.

“This weighted ball is to show how strong your arms and shoulders are...” he started as Phil nodded and he pointed to a long thin area marked out in feet and inches and two young men waiting by ready to mark his throw. Phil picked it up and tossed it into the air and smiled at the feel of it, they obviously didn’t know him very well here and he smiled as the teacher looked surprised.

“How far do you want me to throw it?” Phil asked with a huge grin while the class gasped at his confidence and the teacher tried to regain control of the class and made them be quiet. Some other people... students from the class next door that were waiting their turns turned to see as well and one young man, the best track runner in the school laughed at the display, this new man was giving the teacher a hard time, but he'd pay for that later, as he waved for a few of his friends to look as well. Phil walked up to the spot required and looked down the track at the former positions thrown by others. He smiled a wide smile and took careful aim, and easily threw the ball a meter or more further than the furthest mark made and the teacher cheered for him as the class applauded his first attempt.

“If you can do that again we might have a new athlete here, with the regionals coming up this will help a lot.” he declared as Phil just smiled and they brought the ball back and he threw it again, just a tad further than the last time and the teacher was thrilled beyond reasoning. “Bravo! This will help our team greatly...you will participate wont you?” he asked sort of after the fact and Phil smiled and nodded and the class cheered for him, his first day he made a team, and that said volumes.

“Now to the next test...” the teacher said as Phil nodded and he stood, waiting on the track as the other students gathered around to see what he did this time. “I want you to run, as fast as you can, around the track one time. Starting here and ending here, don’t hold back I want to see what kind of stamina and speed you have.” Pill looked around the track and nearly burst into laughter, they had to be kidding, but he knew that they had never met anyone like him before, so he had to go easy on them or they wouldn’t let him play with them anymore.

“Go...” the teacher yelled as Phil took off, he ran around the track and back in little time at all,but also much slower than he ran when playing around with family. He watched as he ran and when it looked like they were getting too impressed he slowed down just slightly but he still was making a small dust cloud when he passed the teacher again who looked like he'd faint. “ a new record..” was all he could say and Phil nearly choked, he had overdone it even like this...and he started to think that athletics on this world needed some serious help. But the young men from the other class were not as happy as the coach had been, they were track 'stars' and this man had made them look like fools the first day.

“We need to keep an eye on him,” the one said as the others agreed and they left class silently sneaking away, to see what else this new person would do. By now the teacher/coach was ecstatic, this was a coaches dream and he led Phil to the next 'challenge' and handed him a long stick and Phil looked it over carefully.

“A spear?” he asked as the class chuckled and the coach just smiled.

“You have never thrown a javelin before?” he asked as Phil admitted he hadn’t. “but you did spears?”

Phil thought of all the times he remembered training with family and throwing things and he felt that might count for this and he said he had as a few people in the class got some odd OOOH, sounds at the thought of him training for combat so young.

“Same idea, see how far you can throw it, that way..” The coach said pointing and Phil looked down that direction and some distance away he saw targets standing in a row and he nodded and took careful aim and made the throw, a long throw, as the coaches eyes were so very wide and his mouth nearly touched the ground as the javelin landed right beside the target....on the archery range next door.

“Dang, I missed it..” Phil said as he turned around and the entire class stood there, mouths gaping open and the coach was literally on his knees in shock. “what?” Phil asked as the crowd started to applaud and the coach jumped to his feet and embraced Phil with all his might.

“We're going to the Championships!!” The coach yelled as everyone cheered and Phil looked a little surprised but he applauded right along with everyone else and they all seemed really surprised that he didn’t see what incredible things he did.

Chapter 11: Rumors

Lunch time, and Cara was sitting down with Kate and Cybil when a group of other students rushed in.

“Princess, is it true your engaged now?” One asked almost out of breath as Cara smiled wide, this was happening a lot today and Kate and Cybil got a good chuckle too.

“My father made the deal, but we're both waiting to see if we can get along or not.” she admitted as they seemed ready to scream at the thought of their favorite athlete getting married.

“My we sit, please?” One girl asked as Cara agreed, it was a little unusual for regular students to ask to join Royalty for lunch but they were so excited that no one seemed to worry about it today. “Did you hear yet? Your fiance has made the track team his first try.” she said as Cara smiled, it didn’t seem that hard to see after the race in her homeland.

“And javelin and shot put, it seems the coach is building an entire campaign around him.” another said as even Kate and Cara looked shocked but after a second they all just chuckled, he was an amazing athlete after all but this made even them think better of him.

“He IS quite the athlete...” Cara said finally as the girls there all gushed to ask her other more 'personal' things about her new man and after a while even Cybil stepped in.

“LADIES...” she said loudly as they stopped and seemed for fall back a little,”Princess Cara needs time to eat too.”

“Oh, yes, we're sorry please forgive us..” one said as they got up and disappeared from the room with new storys to tell and Cara thanked Cybil for the help.

“It's been like that all day.” she said eating as Kate burst into laughter.

“Sounds like our favorite friend needs a manager.” she said and after a minute her eyes lit up and she started to get a huge grin that the other two could easily see.

“Kate you wouldn’t...” Cara asked as Kate tried hard to look innocent but they knew her better and she was off on another of her little jaunts to make a little extra money for herself as Cara just chuckled and Cybil wondered what she'd get her into this time.

In a week odd things started happening to Phillip, while he always had people wave to him from a distance now he had a different girl almost every day standing at his gate waiting to walk to class with him, even some he didn’t have classes with. He was kind and polite and said he didn’t mind but then the pictures started getting taken, even at the field as the coach just smiled and said that he was a local celebrity after all, but Phil started to think that something else was going on.

He was walking home from class one evening when he saw what looked like a meeting going on by the park benches so he walked over to see what was happening and he started to smile when he saw Kate sitting there, obviously playing Queen to a bunch of students who were asking her a lot of questions.

“How much for this one?” One girl asked as Kate gave her a quote and money exchanged hands.

“Get any pictures in the shower yet?” One asked as the crowd seemed to get very excited thinking it and he sneaked around behind Kate to see what was really going on. He stood there, behind a tree a few feet away as she offered them pictures of HIM, in various places and conditions, even wrapped in a towel and he started getting a little upset with her.

“Ladies please there’s lots to go around if you see something you like I can have it made into a poster as well.” she offered as he stepped around the tree into plain view and the crowd seemed to freeze and many took off down the path and back towards the dorms. Kate froze herself and after a second looked over her shoulder to see the black suit with the gold insignia on it that formed the new cloths the church had given Phil as his 'uniform' and she tried to get a small chuckle out as he shook his head and sat down next to her, looking at the pictures and a list...of people willing to pay to walk to school alone with him, with and without pictures... and she was looking frantically for an excuse when he spoke.

“I just knew it was you..” he said sadly as she tried to say that she was just organizing his schedule for him, even though he never had one before this and he mentioned that too.”Paying just to walk to school with me in the mornings?” he asked looking at the sheet as she explained that he didn’t begin to understand his popularity yet and at that he had to admit this was beyond him.

“Pictures in the shower....oh, come on now...” he said as she looked a little embarrassed by that one herself but she admitted there were offers that exceeded what even she thought, for something more 'intimate' and he shook his head sadly. He never wanted things to go like this but it was clear it was out of his control. Even now he saw someone out of the corner of his eye,with a camera watching from a short distance away and he wondered if this was another of Kate’s tricks but they seemed pretty worried they'd be seen so he didn’t think for a minute this was her people but he did have an idea. He leaned in close and whispered that he didn’t want his name blemished by 'obscene' pictures, but a few little things he wouldn’t mind if it kept her busy, and she turned to thank him and he gave her a long, and passionate kiss, as the pictures rolled into memory just a few feet away and he stood, giving her longing eyes that were also captured for eternity and then walked away towards his home as she sat there, in total shock for quite a while after that.

Two days later, she was acting like she had forgotten the whole thing and she and Cybil were just sitting down to eat and Cara came walking up looking a little upset, and Kate asked her what was the matter. To that she dropped a picture of Phil and Kate having an obvious wonderful time in the park at night, on the table as even Cybil's eyes popped out and Kate's face went red.

“Can you explain how this happened?” Cara asked not too happily as Kate tried to write if off as a fake but Cara informed her this picture and others like it were all over the campus this morning, with notes attached asking ' Phillip's number 2? ' and Kate nearly choked on her tea as she tried to explain what happened and even Cybil stared at her with suspicious eyes.

“I was set up, I swear!” Kate said as finally Cara started to get less upset, thinking it might really be true. But then Phillip walked in, got his lunch and for the first time in a while sat down across from the girls and pretended like nothing ever happened, while they all watched him for some reason he might have done this. He sat there,pleasantly eating and talking and then when he was done he stood up to leave.

“By the way...” he said as he finished and started away, “I got a cut off those pictures myself, not like the ones of me you were hawking in the park.” he said all smiles and Kate jumped to her feet shaking her fist at him while Cara and Cybil good a good laugh.

“I'll get you, you wait..” she yelled and many people in the room started laughing and a few looked absolutely shocked she'd yell such things in the open cafeteria and Phil just smiled,threw her a kiss, and waved at some friends and went away while Cybil explained that Kate had fallen into his trap once more,and her reputation started to take a beating from some people and took a huge leap, from others, to her immediate dismay.

Chapter 12: Competition

Back in the capitol of Glade the king was working to gather support for an attack against Garish to help return Kate's country to her rule. He had several good leads and some country’s, while abstaining from offering troops, sent supplys that were stacking up. He was pretty happy the way things were going and he sent word to Kate that things were coming along well, and she thanked him for his help. She also sent messages to her home, demanding that Garish step down but they all seemed to fall on deaf ears, so it was more or less a stalemate, and that made the thought of getting her lands back seem less and less likely without a fight and she finally decided that war was inevitable, and she threw her total support to King John who thanked her and said the war would be a short one, and they would try to get it over quickly so as not to damage the country too badly.

Garish, on the other hand wasn't a bit worried about a war, he had plans of his own and Glen was just the first in a line of stepping stones for him towards gaining control of the whole planet, so deep was his foolishness, that he didn’t see for an instant that even his own country wasn’t happy with his rule, but he had an iron grip on the media, and military and the people started thinking, as he forced them too, that other country’s, lead by King John were getting ready to invade them. A slight exaggeration, but true enough that the enlistment offices were overflowing with new recruits and he did the unthinkable, he started mass producing heavy robots for combat, something against every law made by the Church, who limited combat vehicles to all countrys, as a way to try and avoid costly wars. If each country had the same number of combat vehicles then no one had a real advantage, and while Geminists were actually bred together for more stamina, and important family names and bloodlines had been created, this had been the only way to make a stronger military,until now. Garish set up an entire economy of illegal production and started offering them to other countrys nearby, if they would ally themselves with him, and a few did, but the biggest problem he'd have hadn't found out yet, and he rushed to get into a better position for war before the Church found out what he was doing.

Meanwhile the school was having some inter-school meets to give everyone some practice before other schools started coming for official track meets later in the year. Phillip was right up front, more than holding his own against everyone else, and he smiled a lot, having to be very careful not to hurt too many feelings and actually letting someone beat him occasionally so people didn’t start hating him and his abilities. He felt badly doing this but he wanted to fit in, so he limited himself to being just a little bit better than most others, and he still managed to win his share of meets while letting a few of the old team members get a few wins as well. If he really tried, there wasn’t a person here or perhaps even on the planet that could touch him, but knowing that would just isolate him from everyone else, and he didn’t want that.

He won the first match, by a second or two and then tied the second, letting his pace equal the fastest man on the track team. The coach was still thrilled, since his team had two massively talented players now and he saw trophies coming to him soon. But the real fun wasn’t until the mixed team matches, where the girls team and boys team ran against each other and Phil was just limbering up when the crowd watching started to cheer and ohs and ahs were heard and he turned around to see Cara walking in wearing her running cloths, long platinum blond hair waving as she walked, and her shorts didn’t begin to do her justice as he smiled widely, and she laughed and waved.

“Looks like we'll be competing against one another,” she said as people cheered for her as she walked over and pictures were taken with her and Phillip standing together on the side of the track.

“Sounds like fun, but we don’t have the distance here for a real competition like at your home.” he added as she laughed and agreed, but it would be a good chance for them to have a little fun while the coaches watched and got their times averaged out. “should we really give them something to watch?” Phil whispered as she smiled and looked away. It had always been obvious to her he was going easy on the track team. His time at Glade was much faster than this.

Phillip smiled and threw a wink towards the photographer who immediately got ready and he slid his arm around Cara's waist as her face went red instantly and many girls nearby seemed to get very excited seeing them like this in public.

“You look really good in those shorts,” he whispered as her face nearly exploded in flames and the people around them got a good chuckle at her expense.

“You don’t look so bad yourself,” she managed to whisper, while the coach yelled for them to behave while on the field and Phil laughed and ask loudly if everyone didn’t think Cara looked great today and even the coach couldn’t stop the applause that followed as she smiled wide and thanked everyone there.

“Alright, that's enough, line up at the starting line, we have other pairs to run today.” he yelled but he too was smiling wide, all this was great advertisement for the team and he hadn’t seen this many observers for an inter-school meet in ages.

“Ready....go!” he yelled as the gun sounded and Cara was away like a shot even surprising Phillip who had to work a little harder to catch up. But he did and half way around the track they were neck in neck as Phil made comments all the time to make her as embarrassed as he possibly could.

“Shame on you, using such cheap tricks to make me lose concentration...” she said as she still chuckled at half of what he said and ignored the rest.

“We haven’t spent much time together since we got here so I have to get my comments in when I can.” he said just as they entered the last corner and she actually looked his way for a second to see if he was serious or not, and at that, he jumped ahead just a little and she smiled that he had fooled her into slowing down just a touch, and he won easily.

“Cheater...” she whispered as they had some more pictures taken together and Phil laughed.

“I'd be willing to run along behind you all after noon, though,” he said as she looked at him oddly while some others waited to hear, and he gave them all a very obvious wink,  “seeing you running just out of arms reach is quite stimulating.” With that the people around them burst into laughter and Phil gave her a quick kiss on the cheek to the happiness of many people there taking pictures and she, for just a minute there, found herself speechless as the coach called for the next pair to run and Phil and Cara walked off the field towards the showers, to the cheers of spectators all along the path.

Chapter 13: Making Friends

After her shower, a young woman ran up and handed Cara a small piece of paper, and on it a note that read: 'Care to go fishing in the morning with me? We could get away for a little while and maybe have a cookout, next to the river...meet me at 7am at the East gate, Phil' She thought about it for a little while and smiled that he had asked. They were officially engaged, even though neither of them had completely agreed to it yet and she was just starting to see him as a good friend so maybe it wasn't such a bad idea. She returned to her room that evening and laid out some cloths better suited to being in the forest and along a river and got some sleep, 7 am wasn't extremely early but she had no idea where Phil expected to fish so they may have to walk a little ways to get there.

The next morning she walked to the gate and saw Phil standing there with a case of some kind over his shoulder and carrying a backpack with him full of items he thought they might need.

“It looks like your planning on an over night trip with all these supplys...” Cara said as he smiled as she continued, “ that wasn't what I was asked to come for, you know.”

“I'm not so bold to expect things like that right off the bat, this is just things like bait,a large blanket to sit on,some spices if we catch any fish, materials for starting a fire....” Phil listed everything he had brought as she nodded and smiled. He had planned pretty well and she knew they could have a good time today without doing without the comforts they all were used to.

“Then where are we going fishing at, the river is quite a distance away from the school.” she mentioned as he just smiled and he walked around some bushes and a small vehicle was sitting there and he opened the door for her as she slid in and he jumped in the other side and they were off. They drove down a road for a few minutes then off it onto a smaller road made mainly from packed dirt, and then Phil pulled the little vehicle off into the grass when an open spot came where they could see water right along side the little road.

“I found this place while out running.” Phil mentioned as they got the stuff out of the vehicle and Cara sat up the blanket so they could sit comfortably and watch their fishing poles and Phil added some bait and gathered some small sticks to lean them on and in a few minutes they were set up. “I love getting away for a while, just laying back and listening to the fish jumping or birds singing...” he said as she smiled and nodded, as a member of the Forest People she totally understood what he was saying, her people lived in harmony with nature and she loved just getting away from the hustle of school for a little while herself.

“Hey, I got one,” She said excitedly as Phil laughed and she reeled in a fish maybe a foot long with yellow stripes on it.

“That’s not bad, do they get much bigger than this?” he asked as she nodded and explained that this species traveled in schools and that they would definitely be catching a few others but they got up to twice this size so he decided that maybe they'd wait for bigger ones and she agreed and threw that one back and re-baited her hook and returned it to the water. “Glad your having a good time.”

“It's nice getting away like this,” she said leaning back and smiling as she watched the clouds going by, and Phil sat there all smiles watching her as she looked over at him and said he promised to be good today so he better not be having any perverted thoughts, and at that he laughed as she joined in.

“This is our official first date,” he answered as she smiled and agreed, “ to do anything today would be an insult to you, there's no doubt that your from a good family and most certainly not a cheap woman  in any way, besides things like that are for people who can truly admit they love each other, and that takes time.”

She was surprised he could be so mature about some things and so childish and happy go lucky about others but that gave him a certain charm and as she thought that his rod jerked hard, and he grabbed it as the fish nearly knocked the stick over when it took off.

“Whoa...good hit...” he said as he took his time bringing it in, but when he did it was well over 18 inches long and he decided that was a good one for later and she agreed he had done well. In the next hour they each caught another nice fish and Phil started a fire and they roasted them right there and had a meal of fresh fish and some mushrooms that Cara got for them from nearby. It was nice and they had a good time and after a while they didn’t even throw the poles back out, but just rolled them up and laid back on the blanket to watch the clouds go by.

The morning went by quickly and they soon gathered their things and returned to the school. Phil dropped her off saying he needed to return the vehicle to the motor pool and she thanked him for a nice morning and gave him a peck on the cheek and he thanked her and went away. She was very happy this morning as everyone who saw her said and she finally admitted that she and Phil had a cook out by the river this morning and people all made funny noises that made her blush, thinking that much more had happened than really did, but for once, she didn’t stop the misunderstanding that she could clearly see starting and even she wondered why she hadn’t after they went away.

It took no time at all for the King's spys to get the message back to him and he sat back with a huge grin. He was sure they'd get along and now it seemed even Cara was giving this young man her attention, and he approved, now if the info he got from Glen wasn't true he'd be a lot happier, but that also was beyond dispute and he looked tired to think Garish had run so far, so fast in getting ready for a war that by now even he could see was not going to be a short one at all.

Chapter 14: War Starts

The Church got the message just about the same time as King John. They were livid that any country could blatantly ignore rules set up over decades and they started getting ready to assist in the war. Such insubordination would never be allowed, and since the Church literally owned or operated several small countrys they were not to be trifled with. They called a meeting at the school and many important figures came to discuss better what to do and as they entered the conference room, Phillip was seen walking among them meeting new people and saying hello to others. He was there to tell what he had seen so far, and to meet important church members that he had not met before, but there were rumors that as the Inquisitor he was there for other reasons and a few tried hard to ignore him and keep him at arms length and it was clear to see right away.

“Watch for those that are afraid of him,” The High Priest mentioned as one man started taking notes, “there is only one reason to fear the Inquisitor, so we will investigate those to see what they are hiding.” With that the man went away and the meeting went on until an agreement was reached and Phillip asked for a minute to speak to the assembly and they gave it to him.

“I ask, as your representative, that we support Queen Katherine of Glen, financially as well as militarily. I just found out that Garish has frozen all her assets and without them her and her staff will be out on the streets in no time. That would be both wrong and demoralizing for her followers. It will be a small cost, but worth it, if we can make Garish look even more foolish, and show the rest of the world that we support those that have rights, from all evil.” Phil said loudly as many there jumped to their feet and applauded while a few looked much more serious about it. They obviously didn’t agree but they dared not say so right out loud after such a compelling plea.

The vote wasn't even close and after a small discussion, a number was agreed to. Phil was given a copy of the decision and he took it back with him after the meeting and made the official announcement to Kate and her staff that after noon, while many there kept their cool hearing it, Kate was obviously very relieved that they were helping her in her time of need.

“Thank the church for me, we humbly accept.” Kate said very officially as Phil nodded and went away and she stood there looking at the announcement. It took a lot of weight off her shoulders and right now that left her worry about her grades and the war instead of where their next meal would come from.

As the first few skirmishes started, a few people loyal to the Queen defected, right there on the battle field and when the fights were over, her own private little army started taking shape. First one then another joined her side as the church got very happy to see she still had the support of many people in her kingdom. They gave them places to stay,and store their machines and mechanics to help repair them and Kate started her own little force that fought in her name during some of the first small battles and word of their successes got back home, and with careful planning a few others defected as well. This gave both the allies and Kate more confidence and things started going a little better, and volunteers started joining the military to help with the war, but war has a way of looking one way and being another, and a week later, a pair of silent shadows slid around the little mansion where Kate slept and started looking for a way in.

Security was minimal, mostly because of the massive security that everyone had to go through just to get in the school, and Kate never thought to add more security around her home, since the school was already a secure facility. The two looked around silently and finally found one window on the bottom floor that wasn't locked. One stood on the others shoulders and opened the window and slid in and a minute later reached out to help her friend get in as well. It was very dark and they didn’t see or hear anything, but a second after their feet touched the floor of the living room there was a whirl of movement, and they found themselves laying, on top of each other unconscious never knowing what had really happened.

The lights came on a second later and Kate and Cybil, with her sword in hand ran in and there stood Phillip looking all too smug as Cybil saw the two laying there and her face grew red.

“Didn’t I mention this?” he asked as Kate gave him an argument in defense of Cybil who did mention adding more security before this but was told they didn’t need it here. “ Check them out, I'll bet their a team that came in with your 'defectors' and just waited for their chance to get in.”

Cybil nodded and she walked over and removed their masks, they indeed were people that they had seen around the mecha storage area just a day ago and she looked upset she had not seen it coming.

“Hey wait, we lock every window, every night how did they get in without breaking the glass?” She asked as Phil laughed.

“Sometimes it's necessary to give something to get what you want.” he said as he walked out and Cybil stood there shocked. He left them in, opened a window and left them a place to enter, of course he was waiting as well, and she saw that Phil wasn’t as stupid as she had always said he was, a little arrogant perhaps, but not stupid.

“I'll place some guards around the mansion every night after this,” Cybil said as Kate agreed, “then we'll start doing background checks on any 'defectors' that come to us, it's obvious we cant take anything for granted.”

“I agree, put them in a lockup until tomorrow, and then we can question them properly, now lets get back to bed, it'll be light soon.” Kate said as she walked back towards her room, but Cybil wasn't going back to sleep tonight, and she took the first watch over the mansion just as dawn started to break over the nearest hill.

Chapter 15: Failed Attempt

The word got back to Garish very quickly that his team had failed and that made him furious. He had sent his best and they didn’t even get within sight of the Queen. If he ever thought he'd get the entire countries backing she had to go, then even the current laws would help him and give him control. He had underestimated her and her friends, something he'd never do again, but he also saw that the church was going to play a bigger role here than he had hoped, and that would make his job even harder, as they jumped into the conflict faster than he had planned, and with their massive military he was really glad he got some allies before things got started.

The pair were interrogated by the best the church had to offer and they said nothing. They were real pros and that gave them no real evidence that Garish had sent them, something they wanted badly. Now they were locked up for the duration of the war, and security around the Queen was tightened, and in a few days things started getting back to normal.

“There was an attempt on your life...how awful.” People were saying as Kate milked all the attention she could get and Cybil looked exhausted watching over her while people made a big fuss and she drank it all up. They were sitting in the cafeteria with a crowd all around Kate asking her if she was alright and if they could do anything to help, and Cybil was standing by trying her best to see everything that was happening, but not at all sure she was getting it done with so many gathering around,when a hand reached over from somewhere behind her and as she jumped she saw her favorite drink, a vanilla capachino,and Phil just smiled and said she looked like she could use some and she finally relaxed and thanked him.

“It's been like this for days now, you'd think they'd get tired of it, I sure am.” she said taking a good drink as Phil nodded he understood.

“I doubt they will until Kate gets tired of all the attention,” he said as they both smiled, fat chance of that, she loved the spotlight. “I'll have a talk with her later, maybe you'll get a little more rest if she stays at home in the evenings and at night.” he added as she agreed and thanked him for his help.

“She's the perfect politician that’s for sure,” Cybil said chugging her drink, and Phil laughed and walked away and waited for a better time to talk to Kate when she wasn't so busy and Cybil went back on guard while Kate assured everyone that she was perfectly safe now, something even her own bodyguard could not guarantee at this point and Cybil rolled her eyes and finally just stepped in and said they needed to go and everyone looked sad with Kate the saddest of all when she was dragged away.

“Katherine!” Cybil said as they walked home and Kate looked a little surprised , she seldom used that tone with her, “ will you PLEASE think of me for once? It's my job to protect you, and every day you let yourself be surrounded by people who go on and on about stupid things. It would be the perfect time for an assassination attempt, and I'd be nearly helpless to get to you in time.” She explained as Kate smiled and agreed, she did get a little carried away from time to time.

“I promise I'll be more careful.” she said finally as Cybil started to settle down a little but Kate could tell she was still upset. “It's all good publicity for our country, they ask questions and I assure them things are fine, and we both know that’s not true, but it sounds good and the word gets around and we have friends here that are watching over us so it's not as bad as you think.”

“I don’t need watching over, just you, and sometimes an army would have a hard time,” Cybil said sourly,as Kate smiled , she had made it hard on her lately and she would give her a break when she could.

“It wasn't me that got the free drink just now, maybe your being watched more than you think.” Kate  hinted as Cybil's face grew red and she refused to think that way, Phil just happened by and did something nice for her that’s all there was to it, and she went the rest of the way home denying the whole thing.

But Kate, being Kate wouldn’t let it go and after a while, they parted as Cybil went for a walk...to check the perimeter she said, and Kate took a long bath to relax from the days activities. They had two guards there every night now, men and women they knew were loyal and that helped give Cybil a chance to rest herself, but she never really did, she worried even when she knew things were safe, but that was the job, and she had accepted it long ago.

The night was uneventful and they walked silently back towards classes the next day and Kate saw that Cybil was being more quiet than normal and she finally apologized for giving her a hard time the day before.

“I'm your bodyguard,and I've failed to protect you once, if Phillip wasn't there, then you might have gotten hurt,” She said sadly as Kate smiled, it wasn't true and she knew it.

“If Phillip wasn't there being the pain he is, then you'd have fixed the problem, I have faith in you or I could never sleep at night, and I sleep quite well.” Kate said as Cybil smiled a wide smile and thanked her for the comment and they heard people calling them and several ran over to start talking again today, and Cybil stepped back a step to give them some room.

“Thank you all for your concern,” Kate said loudly as they all cheered,” but I have classes to worry about and my own security, so please, lets just get back to normal shall we?” and at that the crowd seemed saddened and they all said their goodbyes and slowly thinned out until they were alone again.

“Better?” Kate asked silently as Cybil walked back up beside her again.

“Much thank you,” She said as they both smiled and went on to their first class of the day, and the argument of the night before was forgotten.

Chapter 16: Hidden Secrets

The two assassins were in cells side by side in the churches security division, under constant guard. They had food and water rationed to them while the church demanded their cooperation, but they refused day after day. One night as the shifts changed, a small noise was heard out side and the two women jumped to their feet as the door opened and several others rushed in.

“Time to go,” One said as the other two laughed. They managed to finally get enough people into the churches fortress, and tonight they turned the tables on them all.

“The charges are set, we have to hurry,” the other said as they agreed and ran out together, they ran down a path into the forest and there, in a clearing sat four robots, fully armed and ready to go. They climbed on board and activated their systems just as explosions could be heard and seen in the distance and they knew that the robot storage area was under attack as timed charges destroyed many of the bots there in the next minute.

“Now they pay...for Glen!” One assassin yelled as the others answered and they ran forward, shooting into the security offices and blowing them to pieces and moving on towards the school itself and the homes of Royalty, and their main mission they had yet to finish.

Phillip was up the second the first blast went off and dressed and out the door. It was clear the war had found them and he saw bots shooting everywhere less than a mile away and he ran towards the storage area to get one for himself to help, but as he arrived there every bot of any size had been destroyed leaving him little to work with. He realized that this had been a plan all along, and he wondered how many spys that Garish had managed to get into the school without anyone knowing, but that was for later as he jumped into a medium combat bot that had been parked nearby for repairs. It had some light guns, machine guns that were used mainly against soldiers and other small bots and he checked that he had ammo, and started towards the Royal residences at best speed, it didn’t have a lot of big guns but these smaller bots were quick, and he ran there while the bigger enemy bots were lumbering that way destroying everything they could as they went.

Cybil also heard the explosions and armed herself and ran to Kate’s room and got the entire staff up and ready to move.

“We're under attack!” She screamed as even Kate jumped out of bed without any further prodding , a real miracle itself.

“Damned Garish, I never would have expected him to attack her, the church will never forgive him!” Kate yelled as she gathered a few things and they called for the ship to power engines and get ready for battle and they started running out the door just as a small bot stopped there and the side door opened and Phil stuck his head out.

“Lets go...there isn’t much time!” he called as everyone who could piled in,until they could barely move anymore, but he closed the door and they started running towards the docks and their best chance of escape.

The closest enemy bot saw them and opened fire as Phil ran zig zagging along the road trying not to harm any of the many students that ran out to see what was happening, but the enemy wasn't so careful and explosions form the big guns they carried killed many who were just getting in the way. Phil turned on the PA system and started yelling that the school was under attack, and that everyone should evacuate, and many that heard it ran for ships either private or government that they had access to, and even the schools Dean heard the call as she ran to see why security hadn’t been doing anything and the video screen showed many people in the security room laying dead with various wounds and she felt she would throw up but she contained it while she ordered all her staff to the churches main vessel and called to have it ready for immediate takeoff, as they like many others, ran to safety wearing whatever they had on and carrying little if anything they grabbed on the way out.

As Phil got to the carrier, they had two heavy attack bots on the top watching and started to fire in their defense as they got on board. The ship launched at once and as the enemy kept firing and exchanging fire with the security crew, the ship took damage but they managed to escape along with several other ships that took emergency steps to evacuate,hauling everyone they could gather in the time allowed.

“Garish, you fool...” Kate said looking at the camera shots that showed his people destroying a good amount of the schools buildings and killing many people who just didn’t escape in time. “In one step, you've made yourself the enemy of the entire world.”

“He must be insane,” Cybil said softly as she stood by and watched as well.

“OR,” They heard as they turned and Phillip walked in looking angry, “he planned all along to try and get more than just your country. This gives him access to the school grounds, and the fortress it was based on. If he rearms his forces there, it will take a huge army to rout them from such a strong place.”

Kate took a few minutes to consider it, and she finally nodded, maybe he wasn’t such a fool after all. He had a few allies, and a small army under his command, now the strongest fortress ever built. It seemed like he was gaining right along and she smiled a small grin hoping no one saw, her opinion of Garish might just have improved slightly at least he wasn't insane, just ambitious.

“How well stocked is this ship?” Phil asked as the servants said that they hadn’t planned on using it for a while so the supplys were thin and he nodded looking thoughtful.

“We need to get to the nearest supply depot then, we'll need a lot of ammo and food before this is over.” He said and with that Kate gave orders for them to fly back to Glade, and she hoped that they would accept her after all had happened and just as she was thinking that, a call came in and she saw Cara sitting on the bridge of her own vessel and leaving the school headed towards them again.

“I'm glad your safe,” Kate said as Cara smiled but only for a second.

“Father is waiting for us, there’s an escort team on its way,” she said as Kate thanked her, “ Garish will rue the day he did this, there's not even an accurate counting of the dead yet and their putting the torch to everything but the barracks and maintenance and repairs buildings, the school as it was, is gone.”

“Once we rid ourselves of this problem we'll rebuild, bigger and better than ever.” Phil said as Cara smiled it was just like him to try and be optimistic under the worst conditions but she nodded agreement, and the link went closed.

Chapter 17: The Real War Starts

King John had people running around him like ants gathering food for the winter, if they had the nerve to attack the church’s school and actually took it, then he had misunderstood their power from the start. It had always been about Garish taking Glen and making himself King but this....it showed his real intention, and that shocked even the King. He had made some allies, and now with their help he had gained a massive military base right at the junction of several countrys boarders. That could only mean one thing, he had no intention of stopping his aggression now or ever,and he had to change plans at the drop of a hat and get ready to defend his own country from the inevitable attacks that would be coming.

He saw the reports, Queen Katherine,her staff and the Inquisitor were on their way, not only that but they brought with them a new Robot Carrier, a good ship in any fleet. He also saw that his daughter, Princess Cara was on the way with her private vessel, a corvette design with one main weapon, a large armor piecing cannon mounted on the nose, and he was glad she was safe, and another ship was coming to help. Many of the things he was worried about started getting organized and he started to feel better about it. Now was not the time for panic but good,solid planning and he sent a force with 4 combat robots and two small ships to watch the path between them and the school, and set up a blockade to stop the enemys from approaching their boarders.

Phil sat on the steps of the living quarters on top of the carrier and watched the two massive robots guarding them as they traveled. Something about this bothered him something about such a big ship not having much in the way of defenses, at least to him. He saw, in his mind, guns mounted around the edges, capable of firing at enemy ships and bots that approached close enough, but here, there were none and he wondered why he thought that. He closed his eyes and saw it clearly, weapons firing and enemys falling as the massive ship flew forward, attacking from all sides. It wasn't the usual attack made by robots here but the ship itself , that made it seem right somehow and he still didn’t see where the idea came from but he liked it.

He walked into the ships interior and asked about talking to the engineering department, and they showed him the way and just as he got there there was a 'discussion' going on, so he waited for things to settle down and listened in. A pretty girl with big pigtails on each side was going on to the man who obviously was her superior about the ships power supply. She said, no demanded, that things were not as they seemed and he looked upset she questioned him and the rest of the staff.

“If I'm right, we wont make it to Glade for resupply, the ships been sabotaged, I tell you, just get a team together and check it if you don’t believe me!” She demanded as he started getting angry.

“My team does great work, I don’t care if you are the personal student of Master Gwen, we don’t need someone acting all high and mighty coming in here telling us what to do.” He demanded as she looked like she'd strangle him any second but they both stopped yelling as Phillip stepped in and ask the obvious question that the maintenance manager had failed to ask.

“How do you know?” He asked as they turned to see  him standing there and their mouths dropped open. “How do you know the ships been sabotaged?” he repeated as she stopped staring and explained that as her job there gave her access to a lot of different systems, she was supposed to be checking to see if any of the Masters new systems were compatible with the old,and she found things that were completely out of place, and very dangerous and Phil nodded he understood.

“Show us..” he said as the man with them started to say something but Phil stopped him and smiled, “just to see, maybe its just a simple mistake.” With that he decided it couldn’t hurt and they followed her through parts of the ship where systems wiring and tubes ran and into smaller control rooms that were hardly ever used and she pointed to some things along the way, that had been altered and even the ships engineer looked shocked as she went on pointing here and there and he started to see a pattern.

“Many of these are base systems,” He said looking at the schematic, “ if they all went down in a battle, we'd be helpless, the ship would drift to a stop and we'd fall to our deaths.”

“Your welcome...” She said as he growled to himself and ran back the way he came calling for a team to start repairs at once and Phil stood there watching her as she stood, arms closed and shaking her head. “You'd think I'd get more respect than this. I'm the student of the greatest research engineer on the planet and still these small fry question everything I do.”

“Ego,” she heard as she forgot there for a minute she was not alone, “everyone needs to think they're needed, don’t you agree?”

“Yes, of course, sorry,” she added looking a little embarrassed as Phil laughed.

“A research scientist hey?” he asked as she smiled and nodded, “I like you, come with me we have much to discuss.” And with that they walked back towards the deck where he explained what he wanted done and her face lit up brightly. It would be a challenge but that’s what she got into research for, and she started planning in her mind even while he explained the system he'd like to have in place.

Chapter 18: A New Kind of War

“Sabotage?” Kate said softly as Phil nodded sitting across the table from her at breakfast.

“It seems they had someone do some special rewiring on major systems, and the only person who saw it was Master Gwen's apprentice, as she went all over the ship.” he said as she shook her head, she should have thought of it sooner, but at least it was getting fixed now.

“Of course, that would be Flo Jansen,” Cybil said checking the duty sheet as Phil smiled, after all their talking last night he didn’t even ask her name and he needed to apologize for that.

“She's very good, I've only met her the once but she certainly has a passion for her work.” Phil said as Kate smiled and nodded agreement, Master Gwen was known the world over for his research and many discoveries that they used every day. If she was his apprentice that said volumes,and she should have had her stop in for tea once she was on board and have a nice talk with her about her work.

“Maybe we can have dinner together and I can thank her for her help personally.” Kate said and Cybil agreed and the message was sent.

“We talked last night about doing some improvements to the ship as well.” Phil mentioned as Cybil looked around right away.

“What kind of improvements?” she asked as he smiled and started explaining and she looked surprised that he felt they needed so much help.

“Wouldn’t that make the ship look like some weird spiked thing with guns sticking out everywhere?” Kate asked as Phil laughed, they weren’t going to be that noticeable on a craft so large so she finally smiled and agreed.

“The big improvement is this: once your robot defenses take damage they need time to repair, then what will defend the ship? If you have this in place then when the enemy thinks they have you cornered you can turn the tables on them. Each gun will have the firepower of the rifles that the bots use now, only these are mounted on the ship itself.” he said as they seemed impressed to think it. “It will add the firepower of another four more robots to the ship without the need for storage of bots themselves.”

“Well, alright, if you think its necessary but we're going to have trouble getting supplys now, so get all you can when we dock in Glade, it might be a while before we get resupplied again. We already know we're the big target, so we agreed with King John not to sit still for long, and draw too much attention to ourselves, so we'll be doing a lot of moving around after this.” Cybil mentioned as he agreed and they finished eating and he went back to seeing about repairs to the combat robot he brought on board and checking to see how well things were going on Flo's side for the new weapons.

“Not good, not good...” Phil heard as he walked into the engineering section, to see Flo looking at readouts on a flat panel in front of her.

“Is there a problem?” Phil asked as she nearly jumped through herself in fright.

“Dang it!” She said with a grin, “I've had cats that made more noise than you.” With that Phil smiled and apologized for scaring her and she just laughed.

“So, what's the problem?” He asked as she stepped to the side and started to explain.

“The engines will take a large amount of the power we generate, once we're in battle that will be a lot, with them running maxed out.” She went on as Phil nodded. “So adding even more load to the power system will be a problem, the guns are each taking power, and while they are battery operated when the mechs use them, here they'll be drawing from the power grid, and may well overload it when in battle.”

“So, we need to use less guns than I hoped?” he asked as she agreed.

“If we use the heavy weapons fore and aft, then we add some serious firepower but along the sides...” she said with a shrug as he nodded he understood.

“What about projectile weapons, they use chemical propulsion and don’t need electrical power.” Phil ask as she thought seriously for a minute.

“There are some light cannons that would help, but we'd have the problem of getting replacement ammo every time we fight, but yes, that’s a possibility.” she added as Phil smiled and thanked her for her hard work.

“NO problem Inquisitor, I love a challenge.” She added as Phil burst into laughter and she looked amused and wondered why.

“You can stop with that 'Inquisitor' stuff, my friends just call me Phillip or Phil which ever you prefer.” he said as she immediately demanded that his station meant he got maximum respect from everyone and he still got a good laugh from it.

“That's the Church talking, here we're fighting side by side, so we dispense with the formalities unless we're doing some high level meeting or something.” he said as she finally agreed and thanked him for being so kind to a mere engineer.

“Hardly,” Phil said softly as she smiled, “ your as important here as me, in battles at least, so don’t think anything of it.” with that he walked away and she stood there smiling to think she was on a first name basis with the churches first Inquisitor in a hundred years, and she shook herself out of it and went back to calculating what power they'd save by adding projectile weapons instead of railguns to the ship.

Chapter 19: Preparing for....Battle?

They docked at Glade later that day and Phillip and Kate went to a meeting to get the latest information about the skirmishes that had taken place along the boarders. The enemy had taken a few losses but so had the friendly forces and they didn’t have nearly the mechs that Garish was producing for replacements.

“So, where will you get replacements?” Phil asked as Kate looked his way and said:

“The church has the only official factories for making mechs, that’s how they limit the size of everyone’s armys.”

“But getting them here takes time,” King John said as everyone looked thoughtful.

“But during times of war, wouldn’t they send extras knowing they will have some being damaged and destroyed?” he asked as John waved the idea away.

“They never have,they think by limiting weapons they limit the size of the war, and it's helped, until now.” He said sadly.

“That's something that most change now,” Phil said to himself while everyone just smiled, the church had never allowed it before but he had a special agreement with them so maybe there was a chance.

“Any help would be greatly appreciated.” King John said as Cara walked into the room and the meeting was dismissed as he got a huge grin.

“So, I hear the two of you are getting along splendidly,” He said as her face grew red, it seemed his intelligence services were watching them the other day. “a young man and a young woman all alone in the forest, on a blanket by the river...” he added with a devilish grin as Cara jumped in declaring that nothing had happened and they just had a picnic while fishing, and he laughed out loud at her expense.

“Oh, really, I didn’t hear about that.” Kate said as the King got a bigger grin, Cara was even keeping it a secret from friends,and he started to appreciate that Phil wasn't a bragging man himself.

“There was nothing to tell, we went fishing and had a cookout. We both like being out doors and away from crowds sometimes.” Cara said stubbornly as everyone there got a huge grin and she got even more embarrassed. “Phil was the perfect gentleman the whole time.”

“So, it's 'Phil' now...not 'The Inquisitor' hey?” King John went on as even Cybil got a chuckle at Cara's expense.

“We had a nice talk, about...many things...” Phil added in their defense, “ and Cara and I both agreed that time will tell how our feelings for each other go.”

“Well said...” King John added as Cara just sat back and smiled.

“Now if you don’t mind, I have a call to make in private,” Phil said and walked away seriously looking angry and everyone knew he was on the way to try and change decades of church law.

“So, when the Franklin leaves for her tour, will you stay here or go with them?” John asked Cara who looked very serious for a minute.

“I'll go along, Garish has attacked our country and done damage to our towns, we can no longer avoid fighting to stop him, and the Franklin will be dead center of the fighting since they are after Kate and Phillip now.” She said looking very intense saying it.

“Very well, I approve, we'll see that the ship is fully loaded for battle before you leave.” He added as Kate and Cara both thanked him ,”your personal mecha will be added to the ships storage for you and we're adding longer ranged communications while your here.”

“BUT, “ He said with a wide grin as Kate and Cybil started to smile at what was coming, “ I hope to hear that you and Phillip make a decision while on this trip, Royal Family’s need new blood to keep going.” He said with a chuckle as Cara's face grew red again, and Kate got a good laugh herself. “and YOU might consider it as well, you are an only child isn’t that right?” John asked as Kate's face fell and her eyes popped out and then even Cara got a big grin from it.

“But we're not like that, I haven’t even... I mean...” she stammered as King John got a big laugh from it.” besides he has Cara, I believe.” As the attention was switched right back but she just smiled and shook her head.

“Phil is Royalty, here and in the Church as such he can have as many wives as he wishes, Katherine,” Cara added as Kate’s face got bright red and the King got the biggest laugh of the day and was a little surprised that even Cybil looked a little embarrassed by the idea.

“I'll check on Phil,” Cara said suddenly and bolted from the room as King John poured himself some more coffee and the laughter settled down.

“When this war is over, I believe this world will be a much smaller place.” John said taking a drink, “ with several smaller countrys being joined together into one, and Master Phillip there will be the main reason.” With that the room got quiet but the girls faces said it all, Phil made friends easily and competition would do the rest.

Chapter 20: Slight of Hand

Cara walked down a long hall and stopped next to an open door as Phil went on about the fact that Glade was the main front lines in the war so far, and a little supply clerk was being very apologetic that supplys from the church had been slow getting there.

“King John and I just had a meeting he needs replacement machines at once, he has already lost 6 heavy mechs and hundreds of rounds of ammo, for both heavy and light cannons.” he said as Cara smiled her father had said no such thing and she knew they had only lost 3 mechs so far.

“I need the ok of a high priest to send heavy mechs I cant do it on my name alone.” The little clerk said as Phil reminded him that HE was a High Priest, and the man bowed and apologized for forgetting.

“I'll see they're loaded for departure at once.” he said and the coms link went blank as Phil heaved a big sigh of relief.

“That was quite the story,” He heard as he looked around to see Cara standing there all smiles.

“It's time I start getting things done...” Phil said seriously as he stepped forward and put his arms around Cara and gave her a soft kiss and then looked into her eyes. “I've been told repeatedly lately that I move to slowly.”

“Not by me,” she whispered as he smiled wide and agreed, “ I'm sorry then.” he added as he started to pull away but she stopped him and gave him another soft and quick kiss.

“There's nothing to be sorry for, I was curious as well.” she said and her face burst into the brightest red Phil had seen yet, and he took her hand and they went back to the main room to report the supplies on their way, and everyone noticed at once that they were holding hands and that Cara's face was bright red even though she was smiling wider than ever.

“Sounds like good news,” King John said looking at Car's red face, “all around I see.”

“The church might have misunderstood my request though,” Phil said getting a cup ready as a drink was poured and Cara burst into a chuckle while everyone else looked confused. “I swear I told them you lost 3 mechs, but I think they'll make a mistake and send 6, if they do, its their loss.” he added as King John burst into laughter again, and Kate and Cybil joined in.

“It was a simple mistake, could have happened to anyone,” Cybil said as John agreed and she then looked at Cara who saw it immediately. “I'd rather hear what happened there.”

“Me too,” King John said as Cara looked away and said nothing, but Phil jumped in to save her and they noticed it right away.

“Cara is just embarrassed that she caught me misleading the church on my parts order, shes a very  honest girl.” Phil said and everyone gave him a serious look, there's no way they were going to settle for that but he insisted and Cara sat back looking very pleased that he didn’t brag about what happened. It seemed Phil didn’t 'kiss and tell' like some young men do.

”I guess we'll never know,” John said all smiles but Kate just gave Cara a wicked look and chuckled.

“oh, we'll know, it'll just take us a little time.” Kate said as Cara looked shocked and she knew she was right, Kate would never buy that story but at least they'd talk about it when her father wasn't around.

“And since your new supplys will include light cannon ammo, then maybe you can give us a few more cases while we're here, I have a special project under way.” Phil said changing the subject as Cara thanked him and John agreed.

“Your a good man, Prince Phillip,” John said as everyone noticed Phil had suddenly jumped into Royalty here.

“Father your embarrassing me,” Cara said but her face said it was just a matter of time and everyone saw it.

“Thank you, King John, I hope we get along from now on, and into the future.” Phil added as Kate got a huge grin and Cara said nothing but her father looked more than pleased.

“There is a war going on you know,” Cybil added finally as she stood and Kate had to set her cup down suddenly to keep up as they thanked the King for the meeting and started back towards the ship.

“What's your problem, we were having a nice time picking on Cara and her dad.” Kate said but Cybil just said they had too much work to do to just sit around and after a few minutes Kate agreed and they went back to see how the loading was coming and they left Phillip and Cara to work out the details of their departure with the King.

This story is getting out of hand maybe a 2 parter, hang in there..lol

Chapter 21: Drawing Attention

“Here's the plan...” Phil said a few hours later after they got Cara's things and her personal mech on board. “We'll leave right at daybreak , then head along this valley until we're in sight of the main battle lines, there we'll do a short reconnaissance flight, and then head towards the kingdom of Florentine.”

“Wont we be seen by the enemy heading away from the battlefield?” Kate said as Phil smiled, that was the plan.

“We're leaving information all over the docks that we're headed that way, then we will have their people see us from the front lines and they'll relay that info back to their commanders.” Phil explained as Kate nodded so far. “this way they'll know that we aren't at Glade any longer and their forces will have to split up so some can follow us and some will be needed to hold the front lines. This way King John can get a supply shipment in with minimum difficulty, and we'll just outrun most of their forces while on our way to Florentine.”

“Some medium and smaller mechs are as fast as we are, they might catch up to us if they plan it right.” Cybil said as Phil agreed.

“I didn’t say we'd get there untouched, but we can out maneuver most of their forces, and defeat the lighter ones that catch up with us later.”

“And,” Flo added as they looked her way,” the new guns on the front and back are almost ready, if they attack us thinking we're an easy target, they'll learn the hard way.” She said as everyone agreed, They weren't at full battle strength yet, but they were close and Phil said that they could easily hold their own against the ships that were fast enough to catch them.

“We'll make them pay,don’t you worry.” He added as they all agreed and the meeting was over and everyone went back to whatever they needed to do. Phil went to get a good hot soak, he was exhausted and needed some rest badly, and after he was there for a minute the door opened and Kate walked in wrapped in a  towel and acted very surprised she found him there.

“Sorry I didn’t know you were in here, I can go if it bothers you.” She said and he noticed that she didn’t seem to mind it at all herself.

“If it doesn’t bother you go ahead,” Phil said as she slid into the water on the far side of the large hot-tub and sat there looking embarrassed.

“I should have checked first, sorry,” she said but she didn’t leave and Phil was just too tired to argue so he just left it pass, but a minute later the door opened violently and Cybil stormed in fully dressed and demanded what they were doing.

“Taking a bath...what does it look like?” Kate said as she dragged her from the tub and wrapped a towel around her on the way out.

“What will the people think if they ever find out?” Cybil demanded as they closed the door behind them and Phil could hear her yelling all the way down the hall as he laughed to himself, there was never a dull moment here and he decided to get ready for bed and get a good nights sleep.

As Phil walked out the hall the next morning going towards the breakfast table he could hear the discussion long before he saw it. Cybil and Cara were questioning Kate's reasons for being in the tub last night with Phil and he stood back listening for a few minutes to see what was really going on.

“I'm his fiance and I haven’t taken a bath with him yet...” Cara said as she looked embarrassed and Cybil looked a little shocked she could blurt that out so easily.

“Nothing happened, it was a simple mistake, I walked in without looking first.” Kate said in her defense but Cybil wouldn’t hear of it.

“I believe there's more to this than meets the eye.” Cybil said as Kate looked at her, faking being shocked and Cara looked all too serious waiting to hear. “You didn’t have a camera hidden in your towel did you?”

“How rude of you to ask...” Kate said but she didn’t deny it at all.

“I heard there were offers of up to a thousand credits for naked pictures of Phillip,” Cybil said softly as Cara looked upset and stared at Kate.

“Rumors, nothing more,” Kate said waving it away as Cybil leaned towards her and gave her a serious stare.

“If the people were to find out that their Queen would stoop to such low levels to make a little extra cash you'd be the laughing stock of the planet.” She said seriously while Kate just smirked it away.

“You really didn’t get pictures did you?” Cara asked looking a little embarrassed as Cybil gave her a shocked look as well.

“I cant believe you two...” Cybil said as Kate looked around to see if anyone could see and then opened her notebook and showed Cara a screen shot. On it was Phillip's sleeping face, highlighted by the shimmering hot water and his half naked body from the waterline up.

“Doesn’t he look precious asleep?” Kate said as Cara looked away and smiled, but said nothing.

“Unbelievable!” Cybil screamed as Kate smiled wide and turned it around for her to see and she too smiled and looked a little embarrassed for a minute.

“If you like that one check this out...” Kate said as both women looked at each other for a second then slid over to other chairs to see better. With that Phil had seen enough and fun or not this was getting embarrassing so he walked in as Kate slid the notebook under the table out of sight.

“Give it here,” Phil said reaching out his hand while Kate argued that she had nothing he needed but he was stubborn and she finally handed him the computer while he took a look at the pictures on it and even he was surprised, she had a flare for this type of thing, something a Queen should never admit.

“and the backups.” He said as she looked surprised and Cybil and Cara gave her a serious look until she reached into her pocket and handed over a flash-drive and Phil thanked her.

“We had an agreement, no sleazy pictures for your friends to buy, and I left you do a few others to just play around with before, but this is a little too much, sorry Kate.” he said as she looked absolutely upset he knew her so well, he took the time to see what all she had, deleted a few and then smiled and slid the pad back over to her and she looked surprised as she saw some pictures still on it.

“Those I can let go, but not the others, and no more getting into the tub to sneak pictures, or I'll take some of you,understand?” he asked as she agreed with a smile, she still had something to play with and Phil knew he just limited her a little he never stopped her from doing her little side business.

“We have more important things to do than play around with pictures, it might all be in fun but lets not forget that we're going to be in battle any minute, and this will seem very unimportant when that happens.” He said as Cara and Cybil both agreed but Kate just sat back smiling, she had a great staff and wither Phil admitted to it or not, he'd be there to defend her and the ship and she felt quite safe for the time being.:D

Chapter 22: First Battle

Phil and Flo were going over the targeting for the new guns when the alarms went off, and scanners showed two smaller ships bearing down on them at high speed.

“Escort ships,” Flo said as Phil nodded, “they are faster than us and can carry one heavy mech each.”

“So they caught up with us before we even made it to Florentine,” he said as she agreed. The small ships pulled along side and opened fire on the carrier with their light cannons while two large mechs launched and attempted to board them on the flight deck. Phil was gone in an instant, and his medium mech popped out of the smaller hanger a minute later and he ran flat out, showering the first mech with machine gun fire.

It turned its attention on him, as the second tried making its way towards the hanger doors but Cara walked out in her heavy mech and hit it solidly with a burst from her rifle and the enemy was forced to back up to defend itself. Phil saw she had it under control so he kept going, until the small guns started doing some serious damage to the joints on the mech he was fighting. There were many advantages to having biologic parts on mechs, lighter weight, better control and more flexible joints, but those joints themselves were a weak point that mech pilots had to protect, and the small gun was deadly accurate at this range, and the heavier, slower machine found that it lost control of one leg as the joint there at the knee was blown away by the light weapon, and they had to withdraw, or be captured.

“Get back here you coward...” he heard as the one mech screamed at the other for leaving the battle.

But the ships guns were now online,and they turned and opened fire on the smaller vessels and they too started taking damage and one fell from the sky into the valley below and exploded and the second sent the retreat order, and the mech was forced to leave and she called that they'd be back to finish this and Phil just laughed into the coms.

“You alright, Cara?” he asked as she came on the screen and smiled.

“Scratched a little paint, but I'm fine.” she replied as he nodded and thanked her for showing up so quickly. “I cant let you have all the fun.”

“And thank you, Flo for the assist, those main guns worked well, and we cost the enemy an escort vessel and crew, and we took little to no damage.” he said as Flo thanked him for the kind words.

“I learned a lot from this battle,” she said looking very serious indeed, “ I need to do some more adjustments yet but the guns are operational at least.”

“They did a good job, thank you,” Cara added as Flo just smiled and nodded and she left the link.

“Well back inside, we need to check for damage to the machines and get ready before they try again.” Phil said as everyone agreed and they went inside and started their post battle checks and were very happy that little to no damage was found.

“We proved we can defend ourselves, and the new guns got a try out and got the first major kill.” Phil mentioned as Kate agreed they did well.

“In stead of running down the highways or across country with light mechs to get ahead of us they sent smaller, faster ships, that might be the way things will be going in the future, but we surprised them this time with the deck guns, they wont be surprised the next time.” Flo said as everyone agreed.

“We'll be fine.” Phil said seriously and everyone agreed, wither they thought he was right or not. He had that kind of effect, and people around him just wanted to believe what he said, and everyone smiled to think it, since it was no surprise to anyone by now that Phil seemed to get his way all to often and they went back to getting ready for the next battle and tried to get some rest.

Meanwhile Flo got a message and took it in the engineering bay and she wasn’t happy with the results. It seemed the church was highly upset that Phillip was fighting in such a small and almost helpless mech. She tried to tell them that they had bigger mechs on board but he seemed happy with that one and they wouldn’t hear of it, and said that they'd have something special waiting for him in Florentine and she agreed to let him know as the link went closed.

“You upset some people using that little mech,” she explained at dinner while the rest of the room looked amused.

“It's just the one I grabbed on the way out of the school, it sort of stuck with me.” he said smiling as everyone laughed.

“I checked it over after they called, it hasn’t even been maxed out yet, there's guns that are bigger and more powerful that can be mounted, but they want you to be safe, so they are sending 'something special' to Florentine for you, so don’t think you'll get away with ignoring them or their gifts when we get there.” Flo said as Cybil nodded and gave Phil a hard stare.

“People are worried about you, so try to be a little more careful from now on.” she said as Kate gave her a look out of the corner of her eye and Cybil saw it right away. “The Church, was worried about you, the church was...so be more careful.” with that she got up and walked out as Kate got a huge grin and Cara tried hard not to notice that a little more competition might be on the way.

Chapter 23: The War drags On

They arrived at Florentine a week later and as they docked a middle aged woman and a teenaged girl were waiting on the docks,leading a crowd of workers as the ship docked, and Kate and her team  all walked off the ship. Kate looked disgusted by the whole thing as the lady ran over and gave her a huge hug and Phil stepped back with a big grin wondering what was happening.

“That’s Flora, Queen of Florentine, and Kate's Aunt,” Cybil whispered as Phil just chuckled to himself, it was obvious that Kate wasn’t too happy being treated like a little kid here. “and that's Maria, Flora's daughter,Kate's cousin, they fight constantly about who's the best, most proper Princess. Now that Katherine’s a Queen they haven’t spoken for a while. Queen Flora is a widower, and she takes every opportunity to gush all over people like this, so watch out.”

“Ah, family how nice,” Phil said softly as Cybil smiled at him and almost laughed out loud.

“Not really...” she whispered as Flora finally noticed them standing there after accosting Kate for a while.

“Cybil, it's good to see you, your looking exceptionally well, and this must be the Inquisitor, my what a handsome young man.” Flora said as she gushed all over them both while Maria walked over next to Kate and they stood looking disgusted they needed to be on the same deck together.

“I hope you haven’t been making life too hard for Cybil, the poor thing has it hard enough trying to guard someone like you.” Maria said as Kate gave her a serious stare.

“Watch your mouth, peasant, I'm a Queen now, and your a lowly Princess with an over bearing, promiscuous  mother.” Kate said as Maria nearly grabbed her by the throat but stepped back looking very shocked that Kate had said that, but she thanked her for reminding her, through clenched teeth, and a second young woman ran out and whispered something to her and Maria nodded she understood.

“There's a package for you, Inquisitor, on the lower deck , we'll bring it right up and get it loaded for you.” She called as Phil looked her way and gave her a short bow and thanked her for her kindness.”Oh my what good manners, being on board with this crew must be hard on someone of your good taste.”

With that Kate almost grabbed her as well and you could see the sparks getting ready to fly when Cara spoke up as she walked off the ship.

“Phillip always makes everyone feel at ease, and as my fiance, I must take exception to you saying that the crew here is less than professional.” She said with a grin as Maria stopped her complaining and apologized for what she said.

“You know I didn’t mean you,” Maria whispered as they both got a good chuckle and Phil just shook his head and smiled. It seemed like this was going to be a noisy visit but it seemed warm somehow, like they were enjoying this more than they let on. “Ah here comes the gift from the church now.”

There was the sound of loud thumping and anyone who piloted a mech recognized it as a heavy machine walking on the deck. They watched as the darkness down the hall opened up to a huge lumbering machine, bigger than the biggest heavy mech on board and Cara's face lit up looking at it as it approached and stopped by the door to the hanger and they got a good look at it for the first time. It was huge, a monster of a machine, a good 2 meters taller than anything on board now. It had every weapon it could carry with it and Flo mentioned that some of these were still experimental, and everyone laughed that the church wasn't taking any chances with Phil's life.

It had the same paint job that matched Phil's black cloths and gold trim and he stood there looking up at it and shook his head at the dark and sinister look of it.

“You'd think they'd have better taste in colors, something nice and lively.” He said as even Flora got a good laugh at that.

“It's an official Church machine with your custom paint on it, just the way they ordered it made.” Maria read from the manifest and Phillip laughed right out loud.

“Well, lets get it on board then, I'll have my personal engineer check it out later and make sure its ready to go.” he said with a quick grin and a wink towards Flo who tried to look upset she had become his 'personal' engineer, but she finally smiled and agreed and Queen Flora and Maria saw quickly how easy it was to get to like this young man. He really was as exceptional as the files had said. “and who is this beautiful young lady?” Phil asked as the young girl got very embarrassed and Maria got a good chuckle from it.

“This is Uki, my bodyguard, like Cybil with Kate, we've been together for many years and are best friends.” she said as Uki thanked her for the kind words.

“Glad to meet you,” Phil said stepping forward and kissing her hand as Cara cleared her throat a little loudly and the deck all got a good laugh,”and this is my fiance Cara whom I'm SURE you know by now.” he added as Cara smiled and shook her hand while Maria and Kate both got a big kick out of her suddenly getting mentioned as 'his fiance' and she wasn't upset by it at all.

“Now that the formalities are over, lets have a nice dinner together and you can get some rest while we get your ship loaded with supplys. It'll take a day or two and that will give you time to get to know us all here and we can talk to the Inquisitor and get to know him.” Flora said as everyone saw she was really interested in him in her own way and Cara seemed more and more upset that now that they had time off, she might not have Phil to herself as much as she'd hoped, as Flora took him by the arm and led him inside while the rest of them walked in behind them looking a little shocked by her attitude.

Chapter 24: New Friends

After the dinner they sat and talked about the war so far. Flora had sent some supplys to Glade and King John had thanked her for her support. Phil made a point of saying that she'd not be able to keep her kingdom safe for long, as the evidence pointed to Garish setting up for the long haul and drawing everyone into his plans.

“Our defenses are up and waiting, I dare them to try and overpower us here,” Flora said as Maria seemed sad that she was thinking that way. War was a terrible evil and many would die and she herself had joined Kate in asking for peace worldwide, something that surprised even her mother, since they seldom agreed on anything.

“It's getting late, we can talk more in the morning,” She said as they all were led to their rooms, but Phil wasn't tired just yet and he wondered around the castle, looking out the windows and finally just taking a walk in the garden ,when he heard a slightly muffled sound, and he looked towards it to see three people running towards the treeline some distance away carrying a large bag that seemed very suspicious to him. He started that way and as he approached one man saw him and opened fire with a pistol, and Phil took a slight hit to his left shoulder and that left him know this was not someone that needed to be here.

“We've been seen,run!” was the order as they bolted towards the trees and Phil got up and dashed towards them at best speed and the first person who saw it nearly went into shock.

“It's the Inquisitor, kill him quickly!” He screamed as shots were fired and Phil dodged them all and grabbed a stone and made a quick throw that knocked one person completely off their feet. The others grabbed the bag again and start running but Phil caught them and dove onto the first person and knocked him unconscious while the last dropped the bag, screaming, and ran towards the trees and Phil stopped to see what was in it they wanted so badly. A second later a shot from the castle wall fired and the last person went down as a sniper for the Queen finally saw them and got a shot off. Phil approved of not letting any get away, and as he opened the bag, Maria rolled out and the smell of chemicals was very obvious. They were here to kidnap the Princess and probably ransom her to get the Queens help in their war, the cowards, and Phil picked her up gently and carried her back as the guards ran to meet him and they took over from there while they  led him to the infirmary for some treatment.

The doctor made quick work of getting Maria back awake and after they were sure she was ok, they started on Phil who had lost a little blood and had a small hole burned into his left shoulder but it was a shallow wound and they said he'd be ok in a few days and they gave him something for the pain and left him return to his room to rest.

As he walked out of the infirmary, Cara and the rest of the team were waiting and she rushed over and gave him a hug asking if he really was alright, and the others all smiled at her worrying for him but he said he was and thanked them all for waiting to see him and everyone just smiled and said he had done a great thing and now,Maria was safe. Uki was still unconscious from the gas they used, but she too would be fine by morning,and Cara took his arm and they walked back to his room,where he thanked everyone and said they needed to go get some sleep too, but Cara refused saying she'd watch over him for the rest of the night and Kate tugged on Cybil's nightgown and nodded back the hall and they went back to their rooms while Phil kept insisting he was fine, but as soon as they entered the room and closed the door, Cara burst into tears, and Phillip stopped complaining and held her close, as close as he could wearing a sling anyways.

“You could have died,” she sobbed as Phil gave her a soft kiss on her forehead and she stopped crying for a minute to look up.

“This is a scratch, I've had worse working in the fields.” He said as she finally settled back down.

“It's my duty as your fiance to worry about you, and watch over you when your hurt.” she said stubbornly as Phil just smiled and agreed.

“Well, I'm going to bed, the doctor gave me stuff to make me relax and its working, so you might as well get some sleep too.” Phil said as He started getting undressed and Cara dropped her night gown to show her sleepwear underneath.

“I said I'm staying...” she said softly as Phil just nodded and they slid into bed together and he started to chuckle.

“I was hoping this would be under better circumstances......” he said as he fell quickly to sleep while Cara snuggled up beside him and held him close, she also had hoped for a better time but this was nice too and she soon found that drugged or not, Phillip had wandering hands in his sleep.

The next morning they walked out to get some breakfast, and Phil looked very refreshed and Cara seemed pretty happy as well and no one asked why as they sat down to eat.

“How's your shoulder, feeling any better?” Flora asked as Phil just smiled and said it was alright.”My kingdom owes you a great debt, and you will always be welcome here.”

“Did you get any information from the kidnappers yet?” Phil asked as she shook her head no.

“They're professionals but they'll talk, eventually, only one actually survived. What did you shoot that one person with anyways? The doctor said it had to be a high caliber weapon but we didn’t find any bullet, just a huge,gaping hole.” She said looking shocked as Phil tried to not say but she wouldn’t let it go so he took a deep breath and told them.

“It was a stone,” he said as everyone looked extremely shocked,” I didn’t have a gun and with the excitement and adrenalin going, I threw a stone at him and that was the weapon. I never thought it went all the way through.”

“Well that’s it for my breakfast,” Flo said throwing her napkin down as Phil apologized and Flora did as well, their timing could have been much better and the answer to her question amazed and shocked even her. “That’s one mental picture that I'll not forget for a while.”

“Totally amazing, your strength is even greater than I heard.” Flora said as Phil's face grew red and Cara played the part of the doting wife and made him sit to eat, even though a few at the table looked a little queasy right now.

“No more talk about this now, please lets finish our breakfast and get on with the loading of the ship with your supply’s.” Flora said finally and everyone agreed and after a few minutes talking about other things, even Flo decided that she’d have a little something and Uki finally got to thank Phil for helping Maria the night before, while looking very embarrassed by the whole thing.

“No one could have stopped them, they gassed the room and even a hundred soldiers would have fallen for it, so don’t be too hard on yourself.” Phil said as she nodded she understood but she still didn’t feel too good about how things had turned out.

Chapter 25: Reporting In

King John got the message a day later and he was happy that Phillip had been in the right place at the right time. Maria was safe and another country had finally stepped down from 'sitting the fence' and supply shipments to the front were coming in regularly. He was never more amazed as he was when the report told how Phil had thrown a stone, his only weapon, at an enemy soldier who was shooting at him, and he had killed him with ease. The very thought of it made him feel a lot more secure having Phil on his side, as well as a bit scarey when you consider the speed needed for such a thing to happen, Phil didn’t need a mech to fight, he used one because he liked to, and even on his own empty handed, he was a force to be reckoned with.

The fighting had stalled with both sides taking steady losses but they were holding the line and he knew with enough help that the war would stall as well, but Garish was manufacturing weapons and even the church was furious about that. If he survived the war, he'd likely never see sunshine again, but that was then and this was now, and John made sure ammo was available to all the units under his command, and he looked at the calender. They should be coming back this way soon, finishing their 'good will tour' of other countrys, he missed seeing Cara for so long, but the word had reached him she was a real woman now. It seemed her and Phil had finally decided that they were a couple, and he was happy for her. He had forced her to wait on someone perfect and for the first time, he saw he might have been right.

Garish also saw his reports today, and it angered him more every day. He had planned on a quick sweep of Glen and Glade, adding badly needed materials and manpower to his army, but that hadn’t happened. He had 'loyalists' inside Glen messing with his supply lines and enemys outside cutting his forces down daily. Even his manufacturing was slowed down, with strikes and sabotage happening way too often. He had made a mistake early on, not to ingratiate himself to the people, and it was coming back to bite him now. He was forced to rule through heavy handed means and not through the continued support of the people and that cut his efficiency down badly. He was spending as much time trying to stop inward attacks as he was on outward attacks from the enemy.

Katherine had friends here and they would not allow some old time Prime Minister to take away her rights and country so easily, and he finally had to admit it to himself. If something radical wasn't done, they'd drag him down with them and he set up a small, elite task force to deal with these 'dissidents' no matter who they were or what political standing they held. No one would stand in his way and if he had to rule by force, then so be it, and he made examples of some that stood against him and he opened a new prison, just for those that he needed to control, and after a few weeks, the opposition started to fade away, and things started looking up for him and he wondered why he didn’t think of this before.

Cara and Phillip were almost inseparable now. Everyone saw it and even though he seemed to go on and on about being alright, she worried for him even when there was nothing to worry about. It was a real surprise that she was going to be such an old fashioned wife, and Kate and Maria spent some time teasing her about the sudden change.

“I cant wait to get back home and get the official ceremony over with,” Cara said as they all smiled, they had never seen her so happy,or worried, before. “ I understand as a member of Royalty, Phillip can and will have other wives after me, but I'm his First and that means I will have control over the family from now on. As his 'main' wife running the home and seeing to the political needs of the family is my responsibility, so getting home to make it official is important. Right now we're 'just dating' as many would say and that’s not true it's much more than that.” She said declaring herself Queen long before the actual ceremony took place and Cybil looked shocked to see the change in her from the shy,friendly athlete, to this strong, serious woman, and she could only think that Phillip had a lot to do with it, and she smiled to think one person made such a huge difference.

“You'll be a fine Queen,” Kate said seriously as Cara's serious look softened a bit and she smiled and nodded saying she appreciated their support, and everyone saw the truth, she felt the pressure of being engaged to someone as important and impressive as Phillip for the first time, and she was up for the challenge.

“I'll do my best,” she whispered as everyone smiled, and Maria gave everyone a big wink and asked her when the first child would be coming, and at that, Cara nearly fainted from embarrassment and everyone got a good chuckle at her, very serious expense.

“If King John has anything to do with it, she'd better be ready, he already made a statement that Phillip could unite the world after the war, and that means many more wives to be 'organized and controlled' isn’t that true Cara?” Cybil asked as even Uki who was very careful not to show emotion often, got a chuckle that seemed to fade away as quickly as it came. Cara’s face was beet red now and she demanded that she 'never considered such a thing' even though it was clear she absolutely HAD, She was making it known now, well in advance, that any other women that were interested in Phillip had to go through HER first. Getting her permission and being 'accepted' for the official harem, and that gave her great power over the look of the new world they were creating, and she knew that well.

“So, from now on you'll be Phillip's manager then?” Maria asked smiling widely as Cara nodded yes, but a loud 'ahem' was heard as they looked towards Kate who was all smiles and Cara asked her what she meant by that.

“I'm Phillip's official Manager, my deal with him predates your engagement by days.” she said officially as Cara looked a little upset and demanded who said that, and she said that Phil had ok'd it himself so long as she 'didn’t do anything sleazy' to embarrass him and Cybil smiled and admitted that she had heard that agreement and Cara looked a little shocked and said they'd have to take some time and discuss this and Kate just laughed and waved her away, as Phil walked in and asked what was going on.

“Did you make Kate your manager before we even started dating?” Cara asked as Phil looked a little surprised that she was so upset.

“Kate is in charge of my personal schedule, as it refers to things like making money from videos,pictures,things like that. She's been doing that for a while now and I ok'd it so long as she didn’t get carried away.” he admitted as Cara looked thoughtful for a minute and Kate looked absolutely thrilled he backed her up.

“As Phillips new wife, I'd like to see that contract,” Cara said as Kate's face fell, she never put it on official file it was just between them. “and I want to especially see what percent the family gets for using their name and images.” she added as Kate's face fell to new lows and everyone laughed. Up until now it had all been for fun and a little extra cash but now a real 'manager' had appeared and Kate wouldn’t have her way ever again.

“I'll let you two work it out,” Phil said laughing to himself,as Cara agreed and Kate looked less happy than before, “But Cara...please try not to get so upset about things, I like you the way you are, don’t go changing just because we're going to get married, this hard line person isn’t the one I fell in love with.” he said as he walked back out,with his drink in hand, and Cara seemed to settle back down to her usual self like air running out of a balloon.

“I guess I was getting a little carried away with things, the marriage isn’t even official yet, sorry.” she said as Maria and Kate told her not to worry. Someday those very serious feelings would be needed, just not yet, but someday,and Cara smiled and nodded, knowing full well that Phil's number two might well be in the room right now.