1 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-29 22:09:28)

Topic: Alpha island Intrusions: outpost ownership

OK this may keep some players not moving to beta, but it maybe a good addition to spice up alpha living/PVP.

Details:

1. Mechanics remain the same as in Intrusion 2.0 maybe with a few tweaks here and there.

2. Place SAPs on alpha outposts only, alpha terminals can't be owned.

3. If a player takes on a SAP you are automatically PVP flagged, if you don't want to PVP just don't take it.

4. Ownership has only 2 advantages a fraction of market taxes goes to holding corp (promoting market in that area) depending on stability level and, having all facilities at lvl 2. No auras or locking access to other players.

5. No free loot  from SAPs

Maybe too much PVP for alpha -1 so maybe introduction of alpha-3 in the future with OPs could have some of these features.

Could this work?

RIP PERPETUUM

Re: Alpha island Intrusions: outpost ownership

First thoughts, you have to flag up voluntarily on the saps, so newbs don't wander on and get ganked.

It would make more sense to use market or political PVP for Alpha ownership instead of combat PVP.

Possibly some mixture of relations, NIC, and market activity.

4 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-29 18:51:37)

Shaedys wrote:

First thoughts, you have to flag up voluntarily on the saps, so newbs don't wander on and get ganked.

Good idea that would work best.

Just thought, scanning for intrusions time on alpha would be too easy, so you would need to flag up to scan intrusion times except for outpost owner.

RIP PERPETUUM

Arga wrote:

It would make more sense to use market or political PVP for Alpha ownership instead of combat PVP.

Possibly some mixture of relations, NIC, and market activity.

Taking the carebear route for ownership could be could be left for alpha terminals smile. Your idea would mean a whole new mechanic though. How would you create/prove a presence on the outposts, seems market activity, NIC and relations would be a log in/ log out kinda thing.

I was thinking more of a stepping stone for new and small corps in alpha to experience PVP and OP ownership, and to stimulate the market 2 fold: By owner corp incentives and more pvp losses would mean more market activity.

RIP PERPETUUM

Why not?

PVP is a major part of the game, there's no reason to change that, however there are already plenty of PVP opportunities in the game.

Opening up Alpha outposts for ownership thru force is just more of the same.

Take Tellesis as an example. As a major Alpha hub, even a small % of business represents a large amount of NIC. No 'little' corp is going have the resources to take and hold this type of outpost with the same rules as on beta. The concept is that corps have to occupy an outpost to keep ownership, this is a trivial matter to accomplish on alpha, since your not in any danger unless you acutally flag up for the SAP.

There's nothing stopping a beta outpost owner with a large player base from owning Tellesis, for the NIC, as well as a beta outpost. They can just have alts stationed at Tellesis, and log into them if anyone flags for the SAP. A few solo or small group attempts may be made on the SAP, and the owning corp can even let a few of them go as needed, or even let ownership transfer for a few days, and then just take it back.

tl;dr - If ownership is based on combat power, then powerful combat corps will own it. Small and solo players would just be throwing away bots on SAPs, which they could do on Beta, but with a chance to acutally get a loot drop.

grow balls live on beta. If you want a more pvp exp then move to beta its what its there for. You want intrusions on alpha then get rid of alpha turn it all into beta islands.

We are playing chess and the rest of perp is playing checkers.   http://stringcan.com/wp-content/uploads … 80x305.jpg     
http://www.youtube.com/user/Alkore321/videos

9 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-29 21:54:15)

PVP has to be the centre of attention to create a big player base in a sandbox with a realistic economy, the other game proves it. Here there is little to no reason to flag PVP on alpha. Intrusions on alpha gives enough reason to flag up.

Powerful corps can take ownership even easier by using a 'passive' system as you suggest Arga. Where presence/defence of OP is not needed. If intrusion 2.0 works as intended, beta corps won't waste time and resources defending an alpha OP, specially when more time and presence is needed on beta now. That's where a larger game world is needed to create a distance between alpha/beta which can help a lot.

There is also the issue of 'Combat power' that may not be a deciding factor in ownership even if it is by force. What about economical power or industrial power and longer location presence? Even if you don't know how to defend well, you can still wear down a PVP corp with small capacity to replace bots. Mercenaries comes to mind with economical power too.

Specialized alpha corps may form up and take the helm of ownership, rewards should be balanced accordingly so that beta corps won't even bother.

Imagine the big impression new players will get, from seeing player bots blowing up from day one!. Not just on a youtube video.

RIP PERPETUUM

10 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-29 22:11:37)

Balfizar wrote:

grow balls live on beta. If you want a more pvp exp then move to beta its what its there for. You want intrusions on alpha then get rid of alpha turn it all into beta islands.

PVP for me would be a means to and end:  material rewards/ownership. Beta is for the trigger happy wink

Get rid of alpha? Hell no we need safe zones.

RIP PERPETUUM

be outpost owner on beta - lose permanent syndicate protection on alpha...

advantage of beta outpost onwership with loss of free gathering at alpha teleport for intrusion blob.

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

What would be the point of outpost ownership on Alpha? The Alpha-2 terminals already have all facilities at L2, compared to 2/6 at L2 that the Alpha 1 outposts have.

What would be the point of making 9 more available SAP's for free-loot when there is too many outposts available on Beta to begin with?

If Alpha-outposts could be upgraded past 2/6 L2, what's the point of owning an outpost on Beta (also start at 6/6 L1 facilities)?

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Albfa outposts should give something really different than beta ones - to not give any advantage in the same way - no taxes, no docking rights, etc. Just maybe that aura stuff. Also, gaining an ownership should be really different - no pvp, but maybe an ability to rent it from Syndicate - says, x NIC for one week and then 2-3 weeks of cooldown for the same corp - to give a chance for everyone.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

14 (edited by Celebro 2011-11-30 11:10:11)

Syndic wrote:

What would be the point of outpost ownership on Alpha? The Alpha-2 terminals already have all facilities at L2, compared to 2/6 at L2 that the Alpha 1 outposts have.

What would be the point of making 9 more available SAP's for free-loot when there is too many outposts available on Beta to begin with?

If Alpha-outposts could be upgraded past 2/6 L2, what's the point of owning an outpost on Beta (also start at 6/6 L1 facilities)?

Did you read my first post?

No free loot from SAPs on alpha, the limits for facilities would be all at level 2 which they are not , alpha-2 are terminals not outposts those would not be up for ownership or have SAPs. This is just an idea, rewards should be enough to own but without encouraging players to stay out of beta OP ownership. That's why I think a minimum stability beta OPs should have lvl 2 facilities.

RIP PERPETUUM

Line wrote:

Alfa outposts should give something really different than beta ones - to not give any advantage in the same way - no taxes, no docking rights, etc. Just maybe that aura stuff. Also, gaining an ownership should be really different - no pvp, but maybe an ability to rent it from Syndicate - says, x NIC for one week and then 2-3 weeks of cooldown for the same corp - to give a chance for everyone.

The aura stuff reward only could work too, was thinking more in the lines of kick starting a healthy market on alpha.

I really wouldn't mind a way for a non-pvp style of outpost ownership in alpha, though I just can't find a way around the problem of just investing NIC for ownership log off and get a return on investment seem to easy and passive. Ownership should be worked at and intrusion 2.0, in theory for now, can prove that. Once it does a similar system could be implemented in alpha.

RIP PERPETUUM

There shouldn't be any NIC return from alpha outposts in any form. You just rent it, maybe buy an upgrade or two (limited in same way as beta ones but with lesser level max), and thats it. In this case, if you rent the outpost, you will be interested in using it, to not waste your investitions for nothing.

Cooldown stuff should prevent rich corps permanent ownership and can work in next way - at first week you pay starter fee. At next one price should increase and so on until you'll be unable/unwilling to pay - after you stop the rent an outpost, you'll be unable to rent it again for some period - a cooldown. After that, renting fee will start from starter one.

Another possible way - an auction at each week, where your bet can't be lesser than a previouos one, reducing to start value only when noone is renting this outpost for some period. Increasing step shouldn't be lesser that 1k at least to prevent +0.01-biatching.

And another one - there can be some kind of PvE action based on the number and/or age of corporation - older/bigger your corporation is, harder NPC you should to defeat.

Celebro wrote:
Syndic wrote:

Did you read my first post?

No free loot from SAPs on alpha, the limits for facilities would be all at level 2 which they are not , alpha-2 are terminals not outposts those would not be up for ownership or have SAPs. This is just an idea, rewards should be enough to own but without encouraging players to stay out of beta OP ownership. That's why I think a minimum stability beta OPs should have lvl 2 facilities.

Did you read mine?

There are 15 Beta outposts in-game that are available for corporations interested in territory control. Lets be generous and say maybe 7 are actually owned by individual player corporations (taking into account living there etc). That is below 50%.

What would be the point of Alpha outpost control? To give free aura-upgrades on Alpha? There's plenty of empty outposts available out there. Hell, CIR has had 1-2 outposts we're not interested in owning on give-away-no-charge offer for the last 6 months.

Pointless unless player population radically changes. Only thing it would serve atm is to give free auras (yay for mining & harvesting aura on Alpha!) and make safe mining in protection zone even more lucrative then it already is.

CIR Complaint Form

i totaly agree with syndic (even if i dont like it).

the outpost ownership is for beta only. if you are too scared to go to beta then dont complain that you want the same als them. the risk vs reward ratio is already bad enough for players that live on beta. no need to give the alpha players more.

i dont like to compare these 2 games but ill do it again. look at eve. 0.0 space is 10-30 times more rewarding as empire space. compare that to perp and it will be hard to think that its 2-3 times more rewarding. which it most likely not even is the case.

not needed. you want control. go to beta. there still is enough room. just take one of the islands from novablob that are mostly totaly empty anyway.

While I'm not actually protecting this idea, I think it may be interesting anyway. Alpha ownership is possible only and when the whole system of ownership and rewards will be different than beta one. Such system may be useful for those who want to prepare for beta faster, or not interested in it at all.

It's a sandbox, not just PvP game, don't forget it. Not every newbie corp is interested/ready to live/conquer/compete on betas - atm it's almost impossible unless you're not a part of alliance - I'm pretty sure every corp who will even try will be immediately sieged/ganked/wtfpwned by any enemy force outcoming them in numbers/ep/experience/bots/fits. So anyone who decide to try should prepare well first, and thats where they may need a place for it.

Also, alpha-terminals (same as beta ones) can't be conquered in any way or another - so this system will touch only old alpha outposts like Radholme, Bellicha or Matsu.

If outpost should be owned, how they should be aqured, and what benefits are different subjects, entangled but different.

I agree with Line, its a sandbox, the more things a player can do the better, so for that reason alone alpha outposts should be aquireable. How and why have to be implemented in a way that 'fits' with being in a secure zone however. If a good how and why can be determined, there should be no reason not to make them player ownable; also in keeping with alpha, ownership shouldn't have any impact on other players (no lockouts ect).

Good balancing would be (considering its a no-risk-whatsoever-zone) to leave the outposts as a "prestige-only reward", meaning no upgrades, no auras, no lockouts, no nothing. You put your name on it and get some $$$ back from production and thats it.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

Good balancing would be (considering its a no-risk-whatsoever-zone) to leave the outposts as a "prestige-only reward", meaning no upgrades, no auras, no lockouts, no nothing. You put your name on it and get some $$$ back from production and thats it.

i agree with this but it would have to be a very small %% of tax. beta is where end game content should be. Atm theres 3 islands that no 1 really claims thats alot of outposts.

i could say more on this subject but ill leave that for corp section of the forums tongue

True Pros make a Podcast to influence the Devs minds, 
The rest of you guys are Hacks tongue

PS. I got my Highways & stopped playing b4 they came in & have never used them! ...... Irony much ? tongue

I was thinking more as a benefit, the ability to remotely buy/sell to the main terminal. No NIC payback, maybe reduced industrial cost. Meaning you get a benefit if your're actually using the features, but not gaining any passive income.

How to get ownership though is still in question and would need to be balanced with that level of benefit.

remotely buy/sell is too big of an advantage for an outpost in a no-risk-whatsoever zone.

CIR Complaint Form

Syndic wrote:

remotely buy/sell is too big of an advantage for an outpost in a no-risk-whatsoever zone.

That would depend on the resources needed to aquire and hold the outpost, not simply that its in alpha.

In fact, being in alpha, where transportation is simply a time factor than a risk factor, its actually less of an advantage then if it was beta based.