Topic: Crash Issue when running 3 or 4 clients.

My pc can run 4 clients brilliantly, even on full settings I don't get any fps problems, though I play on min settings anyway.

There's a problem though, about about once per 1 or 2 days my games will start to run really slow, massive fps drops, sudden freezeups (that it recovers from a second or 2 later) during these freeze ups the sound will go all weird, it's the same sound it makes when a computer sometimes just locks up completely and requires a reboot to fix.

After around 5 minutes of this freezing and unfreezing the computer will completely lock up, and require a reboot to fix. The computer feels boiling hot to the touch.

This tends to happen mostly when I have a few accounts logged in next to a teleport, and maybe another character docked in a terminal. I wonder if these places are badly optimized.

It seems like it could be a problem with overheating. Sometimes the freezeup results in a blue screen crash. The blue screen message is "an expected clock interrupt on a secondary processor, in a multi-processor system, was not received within the allocated interval."

According to whocrashed, this is usually either a software driver bug, or a thermal issue.

I might mention that my partner has experienced the exact same thing on her PC and also under the same circumstances.

I did a full format of my PC and the problem still occurs. I've tried switching my RAM around to see if a paticular stick it broken but the problem still happens. Perhaps overheating in those areas is to blame?

Might be worth someone on tbe team looking into the terminal and teleport areas to see if they are causing this to happen somehow.

2 (edited by XrayIT 2010-11-30 11:40:13)

Re: Crash Issue when running 3 or 4 clients.

do you use 1 game folder by account ?

3 (edited by Purgatory 2010-11-30 19:43:15)

At first yes, but i switched to seperate folders, the problem still occurs. This problem actually happens about once every 10-15 hours, it's something that only seems to occur under certain cirmumstances within perpetuum - experienced the same on my pc and my partners pc.

you most likely wont get a offcial response on this, as though they dont mind you running multi clients [as longas you arent macroing]. they dont offically support it yet, because of resources.

Freelance Agent/Merc Suppling All With The NIC For The Job

980X XSPC Cooling, ASUS RoG Rampage Extreme III, 12 GB Corsair Dominator DHX 2000Mhz w/Cooling Unit, 2x GTX 580 SLi, Creative Titanium Fatailty Championship w/ IO panel, 2x 128Gb SSD, 4x 1.5Tb hdd, BeQuiet Dark Power Pro P8 1200W PSU - Multi-BootOS

This doesnt sound like a bug. Sound more like your computer being a steaming pile. I'm also pretty sure they have come out and mentioned they won't support multi-client situations

-Gallowglass-
I've played just about everything once. Now it's Perpetuum's turn.

6 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-02 07:22:20)

Yeah my PC is so crap, it can run 5 clients without any FPS drop atall. It's so smooth that it feels like i'm playing just 1 client. It must really suck to be able to do that, sometimes for days at a time before this spontaneous crash occurs.

7 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-02 07:48:18)

The crash problem just started happening, didn't actually crash yet, but it's the same symptoms.

PC starts to run really slow, monitoring it with speedfan, temps are ok, but cpu usage seems to be related to the slowness, the worse the slowness gets, the higher the CPU usage gets, i don't know if this is because i'm using a i7 950 and it's trying to compensate or something else.

8 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-02 10:22:32)

Confirmed now that the problem my partner has on her PC is exactly the same, with 4 clients running it's normally ok, but once about every one or two days the clients will start to run really slow, pretty soon after the computer crashes.

We were monitoring CPU usage aswell, and just as it does on mine, the CPU usage had more than doubled, the cpu usage again seemed to be directly related to the slowness.

Her i7 cpu was running at 100 degrees btw.

9 (edited by Purgatory 2010-12-15 14:10:18)

nm

You probably already checked this, but is your PC indexing or running some other system maintainence on a scheduled basis?

If you are running W7 use the performance monitor (not task manager) to see where the loading is. If the client processes aren't using the cycles, then its a PC issue, if they are, is the load the same across all 4, if so then its a local issue (it would be highly improbably that a data issue from the server would effect all 4 clients exactly the same).

Perf mon will also give you read/write, while typically R/W doesn't cause CPU useage, its possible that Perp has some process that requires the CPU to wait for a response from the drive.

If you have the app, you can try running each client in its own Virtual machine too.

I can only run 2 clients, so props for the sweet rig, but I havn't noticed this issue.