Topic: Risk free undocking and teleporting

I would like to say that I am disappointed with the new change that makes bots un-targetable while their protection is up. Combined with the fact that you are under protection for the same amount of time that you have to wait for re-docking and you have the ability to teleport blindly or undock blindly with assured invincibility.

There should be some risk involved in teleporting or undocking on beta islands, so there needs to be a way for a prepared force to catch folks from doing that.

I propose that the targeting stay as it is, but that the time you are protected be shortened to be maybe 8-10 seconds less than your molecular instability and that you always teleport in or undock approximately 100 meters from the outpost or teleporter. This will allow a decent chance for people to get back while still allowing the possibility of being caught.

If you want assured safety, the alpha islands have it

Re: Risk free undocking and teleporting

There must be a middle way between certain death (being lockable while protected) and knowing nothing can happen to you after undock. The distance change you propose sounds like a reasonably good compromise.

John Rourke wrote:

There should be some risk involved in teleporting or undocking on beta islands, so there needs to be a way for a prepared force to catch folks from doing that.

The simple question here is Why?

Why, does simply undocking into or teleporting onto beta require there to be an associated risk? Other then promoting gate/outpost ganking squads.

Making sure everyone and everything gets punished for even thinking about stepping onto beta is excessive. This player can't acutally DO anything other then frustrate the gate camper and gain some intel, but no more or less then if they jumped in a sacrificial arkhe.

Or maybe they can now jump in something other than an arkhe, and put the gate camper at risk.

As it is now, a single assault can watch a gate, simply because its really risky to jump blindly in anything other than an arkhe, after which the assault knows something is up and can relocate and call for help. As it is now, a fully fit mech can jump in, and if your a lone assault, lock and kill you leaving the gate open.

Seems like this small change adds a dramatic change to how gate watching and guarding needs to be handled.

Arga wrote:
John Rourke wrote:

The simple question here is Why?

Why, does simply undocking into or teleporting onto beta require there to be an associated risk? Other then promoting gate/outpost ganking squads.

Making sure everyone and everything gets punished for even thinking about stepping onto beta is excessive. This player can't acutally DO anything other then frustrate the gate camper and gain some intel, but no more or less then if they jumped in a sacrificial arkhe.

Or maybe they can now jump in something other than an arkhe, and put the gate camper at risk.

As it is now, a single assault can watch a gate, simply because its really risky to jump blindly in anything other than an arkhe, after which the assault knows something is up and can relocate and call for help. As it is now, a fully fit mech can jump in, and if your a lone assault, lock and kill you leaving the gate open.

Seems like this small change adds a dramatic change to how gate watching and guarding needs to be handled.

It is not a punishment, it is a risk of being shot. Beta islands are different from alpha because of the risk but the last patch removed that risk completely. I'm not asking for an assured death, but if you want to go through a gate to a beta island there should be some risk.

I got that, I'm just not sure that simply entering Beta needs to be risky. There are bots that can alpha down non-armored bots, so 1 shot could mean the death penalty just for entering beta.

I was there for the days of the ring of protection on beta, and that was bad, when the enemy could actually gather a full force at the gate, and then choose if they wanted to go out roaming.

i can see tp'ing in and forcing gate guards to tab over because they heard the TP go off continually until they stop checking on you as a strategy to to get onto a guarded island.

This mechanic seems to require the gate guard to actually share some of the risk of being on beta.

Its going to make gate duty suck even more, which from an outpost owner view is bad, but from the roamers its going to make the Island easier to enter, which sounds like an improvement. At least it will be when island owners can set outpost docking rights.

6 (edited by Sundial 2011-08-26 23:23:38)

OP: Your concerns will be addressed when outpost docking access can be locked down and the Devs have said that is part of intrusion 2.0.

Leave the timers the way they are, they were silly before.

Looking forward to new players and new conflicts.

7 (edited by Your Mom 2011-08-27 02:11:33)

Its funny.

Ones who want it toned down are the ones who have a island to protect.

All the rest dont.

Seems to me its just another beta nerf...which could be a good or bad thing.

Edit :

Also wouldn't this make internal jumping nearly impossible to kill someone on?

This just doesn't seem right.

This Is Your Mother Speaking.

Your Mom wrote:

Its funny.

Ones who want it toned down are the ones who have a island to protect.

All the rest dont.

Seems to me its just another beta nerf...which could be a good or bad thing.

Edit :

Also wouldn't this make internal jumping nearly impossible to kill someone on?

This just doesn't seem right.

No i had that adressed with the perma invulnerablity last time they adjusted protection

its back now with the new protection! Haza for immune on inners!

Thats right folks simply go to a inner island teleporter and you are safe as long as you keep jumping~!

Undefeated 2013
"Even alone you probably are one of the best" - Khader Khan
"Lemon the 1 man army .... also know as: THE TERMINATOR!" - Obi Wan
"There are people who are just better then you at doing many things at one time, some are far better then myself, far better." -Merkle

9 (edited by Celebro 2011-08-27 03:07:18)

Why should roamers get an advantage? It was and still is pretty hard to defend your island. Don't we need more defenders and less roamers to hold outpost. This was changed long ago too  but used to cover an area out side op and tp with syndicate potection.

If you don't want to die or get alphed just stay in a safe zone. there is a warning of risk when you enter beta, I don't understand this change.

RIP PERPETUUM

Before the change there were people who jumped in in mechs and not in arkhes. They were plated and watched for people to demob and kill smile

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

11 (edited by Triglav 2011-08-29 09:26:54)

Sundial wrote:

OP: Your concerns will be addressed when outpost docking access can be locked down and the Devs have said that is part of intrusion 2.0.

Awesome, now change it back to as it was before the 25/8 patch, and then reintroduce it with intrusion 2.0. The way it's done, it's stupid. No way to defend against roams (unless the fc was stupid, but that's a matter of another topic) or docking/redocking games, scouts.... If it's part of sundial's I2.0, then this change just plainly came in way too early.

Funny CIR hates this mechanic but its already being used by CIR/RG to save themselves while reinforcments arrived.

Lemon wrote:

Thats right folks simply go to a inner island teleporter and you are safe as long as you keep jumping~!

And thats just what he did!. RUN Seth RUN your Mesmer buddies will save you, or maybe you should have sacraficed yourself to the CHAOS why ERP got nerfed bandwagon. Trolololol Every patch you all find something to rally the troops up for a crusade.

Participate, Congratulate cause everything else will be seen as HATE.
Max yellow max all skills lvl 10 min max for the win

Oh noes we don't like x, so we shouldn't ever use it, because you know it's bad.

We don't like it? Yes and we vote for it to change. Are we going to stop using it? Nope, he just gave you evidence how idiotic it is and still is part of the game. Lemon, nerfing one teleporter at a time.

Should we stop using teleporters now? big_smile

No worries Khader, I'll be back from my holiday in a few days and then we can have some fun. smile

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Sundial wrote:

On the contrary.

I have already explained it in more detail in another thread, but there has already been three periods of times in this game after the launch that where you could be immortal on Beta island due to the syndicate protection and three times it was reverted by Devs as it was abused to hell and back.

Now they have, this time willingly, added Beta side immortality for the fourth time...

Seriously, I can understand making same mistake once easily and I can barely understand making same mistake twice, but making the same mistake 4(!) time in a row makes me ask to myself: really? W-T-F?

And furthermore, outpost access rights do absolutely nothing for the inner island teleport immortality.

Personally how it should be imho is like this:

External teleporters: You can even keep as it is or revert it back to old system, I really do not care the slightest tbh.
If people find jumping from Alpha to Beta and from Beta to Alpha as their favorite PO passtime, well, then all the power to them.

Outposts: Enemy scouts at outposts should be killable before the docking right system is implemented, end of discussion.

Inner island teleporters: If you have made the choice to run in to so deep into Beta island that you are able to use the inner island teleporters then you should be killable, end of discussion.

In fact even the old system was *** as in you should have been vulnerable more than 5s period of time.

There are 3 threads basically discussing the same thing.

Syndicate protection on an inner beta island TP makes no sense. Maybe give someone 5-10 seconds to load? But the full destab time is kinda really bad. roll

Take the long way around back to square one
Today we're just outlaws out on the run

I think I'm gonna have a lot of fun with this particular system. I certainly did the last 3 times it was in-game. lol

[18:20:30] <GLiMPSE> Chairman Of My Heart o/
CIR Complaint Form

The Imperial Grand Wizard of Justice

Arga wrote:

There are 3 threads basically discussing the same thing.

Shhh!  Someone might get all freaky and start splicing things together.  Three independent threads about the same thing means more amusement for us all.

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/

I love this new system and I would like to take full credit for it whether it is true or not

I don't understand it fully but if it allows players to zone in and fight by the teleport against overwhelming numbers and still have a chance to survive, it can only be good for the casual gamer/small roaming crews who feel like busting some CIR scout heads.

It's also good for us to wait for people between teleports to make mistakes and kill them one by one, while they are porting behind us. If they don't make a mistake, oh no let us wait for another port this time -> way.