Topic: Patch note released SOONER please.

After reading last night blog I went on with my plans for pvp only to wake up today and find out that the 30k EP I spent last night is now useless. I'm not going into what I spent it on and why just trust me I will never use the things I got with that EP on that toon now. A huge number of changes hit today that weren't in the blog. So what do I do now? Reset my toon and lose a ton of EP or just let the 30k EP be useless, either way I lose a lot of EP. My point is why can't we get patch notes a few days ahead of time? What's going to happen? People buy up all of something that is going to get buffed. So what, whoever logs on first after the patch will do the same thing.

Re: Patch note released SOONER please.

huh? which extension is 30k ep wich are now useless?

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

huh? which extension is 30k ep wich are now useless?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCy8MpT45gk

4 (edited by Triglav 2011-08-25 23:10:07)

EDIT: totally missed the point of the post.

Agreed on what you're saying, post the WHOLE list of changes a week before the patch hits.

Next time don't spend EP the night before patch.

RIP PERPETUUM

The point of the thread is to get the patch notes out sooner with all the changes not to get my EP back.

Yeah yeah reread my post, pay attention to timestamps.

Celebro wrote:

They release a blog the night before with the changes. No where did it say btw this is half of the changes going in tomorrow.

Edbert wrote:
Celebro wrote:

They release a blog the night before with the changes. No where did it say btw this is half of the changes going in tomorrow.

Ok well good point, but my advice still stands not matter what the blog says don't spend any the night before.

RIP PERPETUUM

well, don't spend all your EP into something that you your your corp, or any1 on the forums propagates as absolutely imbalanced.

Thats not only true for a night before a patch, because changes to something like that can happen at any time, without any announcements at all.

though, i still dont know what you have skilled, but i guess it has something to do with repair and ERP...

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Unfortunately releasing patch notes way before the actual patch is currently technically not possible. The reason is that we only have one development server and one live server. If we would release the full patch notes a week before the patch, that would mean one week of twiddling our fingers and not getting any real developing done. We would need an intermediate step to make the idea possible, likely in the form of a public test server.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Unfortunately releasing patch notes way before the actual patch is currently technically not possible. The reason is that we only have one development server and one live server. If we would release the full patch notes a week before the patch, that would mean one week of twiddling our fingers and not getting any real developing done. We would need an intermediate step to make the idea possible, likely in the form of a public test server.

You have your server and that is where you guys make changes and test them you have to have copies saved at different points in case something messes up. So I see no reason why you can't save the time when the server is ready with the new patch release notes. Keep working on new stuff for 2-3 days. Ok time for patch day save you point and reload the already saved patch from 3 days ago and copy over to main. Then reload where u were?

Annihilator wrote:

well, don't spend all your EP into something that you your your corp, or any1 on the forums propagates as absolutely imbalanced.

Thats not only true for a night before a patch, because changes to something like that can happen at any time, without any announcements at all.

though, i still dont know what you have skilled, but i guess it has something to do with repair and ERP...

Ictus > ERP  and that's not the only way to beat them.
Also lets see the post where I said ERPs were imbalanced.

Sounds great, sadly it's not as simple as opening up a document in Word.

Im sure there see the armor nerf was just a bit much...30 to 10 % seems a bit drastic.

Not to mention...RR is just about useless now  sad

This Is Your Mother Speaking.

16 (edited by Triglav 2011-08-26 00:00:49)

DEV Zoom wrote:

Would it be possible to turn that dev server into live test a week before patch date? Since it's a dev/test, you can still fiddle with it anyway you want (including random and frequent reboots, database dumps and stuff), plus have extra people doing stupid things that no programmer would ever think of on it. It WOULD help nail many bugs and ISSUES.

Though I definately sympathize, what if you spent that 1 day before the patch notes were released? It would have been the same problem, right?

Lucius Marcellus wrote:

Though I definately sympathize, what if you spent that 1 day before the patch notes were released? It would have been the same problem, right?

I waited for the dev blog to be released before spending the points.

DEV Zoom wrote:

Sounds great, sadly it's not as simple as opening up a document in Word.

but is as easy as saving an image of the server.

Releasing patch notes before the patch would be bad.
I've always noticed that releases notes before the patch comes out causes a lot of crying because people can't get in to see what's changed.

Watching IRC when the notes got released was fun. I prefer not knowing what's coming.
Blowing 30K EP at any time is usually a risk. Ictus is still needed and there really isn't enough Ictus pilots. Ictus before didn't even help against the ERP fits anyway so this thread is invalid.

I also don't like the idea of a extra week where the devs can't change anything because the patch notes have been released.

It's fine the way it is. Nothing major changed. Everything is still doable but it might not be as strong. Something like the old repair tunings added 200+% HP/s in cycle time alone which has been changed but they still allow for burst reps.

At this time patch notes were exactly how they should be - some minor info on blog, and fully - right after patch. Thats really good system - IMHO players shouldn't know anything about new/changing in stuff, extensions, robots. Such info, if you get it before an actual implementation, may give you the great advantage, if you know what to do.

And in case if you want to be ready/don't want to do something useles - just don't spend any ep before the patch.

Have a productive day, runner!
R.I.P. Chenoa, you'll never be forgotten.
DEV Zoom: Line, sorry, I was away for christmas.
http://perp-kill.net/?m=view&id=252086

22 (edited by Triglav 2011-08-26 10:02:45)

Alexander wrote:

I also don't like the idea of a extra week where the devs can't change anything because the patch notes have been released.

Noone ever said that in that week the devs can't change stuff. The patch notes prior to patch would be subject to change all the time, but this way people can debate them over as the changes happen and devs can perhaps gain insight that they wouldnt have otherwise.

Triglav wrote:

but this way people can debate them over as the changes happen and devs can perhaps gain insight that they wouldnt have otherwise.

Why would this matter? Pre-patch whining will not result in last minute changes.

I guarantee you, players will not, from patch notes alone, give the devs any insight they didn't already have. Descriptions of how the changes actually affect the game might reveal something new, but the patch has to be active for that to become apparent.

All patch notes do is warn of nerfs.
And all it will do it shift the whining to last longer and for no reason.

And, if pre-patch notes are subject to change, which they must be, then your really not getting any solid information to base any game decisions on anyway; so you'll still need to wait for the actual patch to be released before making a change.