Topic: mortar/artilery type weapons

I guess somebody must have suggested this already. But I am too lazy to search.

How about extending the firearms category with mortar/artilery type weapons ?

They would work on the same principle as the real world ones and would be TILE targeted. I.e. area of effect suppresion fire. This with target delegation would make slow heavy mechs good tactical weapons.

a light bot equips a head slot module that enables him to mark tiles wich should be fired at. The hmechs load up and lock onto that tile remotely and start firing. Each round has a 2-4-8 tile square area of effect with various options (straight damage, accumulator damage etc).

They would have the least LOS restrictions (firing over small hills and such) but cannot move while weapon is active.

thoughts ?

Re: mortar/artilery type weapons

Coming soon.. They've got the LOS for large long range weapons working (Similar to a missile arc but not as high).

At the moment a explosive weapon like that would very over powered however as everyone would roll with one.

Alexander wrote:

Coming soon.. They've got the LOS for large long range weapons working (Similar to a missile arc but not as high).

At the moment a explosive weapon like that would very over powered however as everyone would roll with one.

actualy you'd just have to kill the target locking light bot in my case :-) since he hmech cannot fire and move at the same time, it is vulnerable to assault/light swarms. of course ECM would work as usual.

AoE grenade launcher was announced more then 1.5 years ago, even with a picture.

wink

*Disclaimer: This post can contain strong sarcasm or cynical remarks. keep that in mind!
Whining - It's amazing how fast your trivial concerns will disappear

Annihilator wrote:

AoE grenade launcher was announced more then 1.5 years ago, even with a picture.

wink

now to add mines to that and I'm happy ...

Btw topics which start with "But I am too lazy to search." should be closed on sight tongue

<GargajCNS> we maim to please

Norrdec wrote:

Btw topics which start with "But I am too lazy to search." should be closed on sight tongue

I don't dispute that ... but having to wade through forum search and dev blogs is not time efficient. And I suck at searching.

Hugh Ruka wrote:

How about extending the firearms category with Mordor/artilery type weapons ?

Fixed so that we can have a serious discussion.

Really?  Why should Sauron's gear fall under firearms?  I mean the guy was a giant, burning eyeball (someone give that man some Claritin) so I think he deserves his own extension that includes the production and use of rings of power as well.

+1, but I'm sure there are other things on the developers' plate that are more important...like cargo expanders.  smile

Primary Laptop:  NEC Ready 120LT - Cyrix Media GXm @ 200 MHz, 128 MB EDO DRAM
NeoMagic MagicGraph 128 ZV+, 6 GB Hitachi 4200 RPM HDD, 24x CD-ROM, PCMCIA WiFI
Slackware Linux 8.1 - Framebuffer 640x480 Command Line Interface Only (No wimpy GUI)
-Delicious Raspberry Pi- http://www.raspberrypi.org/